• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After the Camino sending backpack to Australia

Lifeofdelight

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello. I'm commencing my camino on 27th April 2016 from SPDP and will be forwarding from there my "after camino" travel bag to Santiago de Compostella for storage till I finish.

When arrived in Santiago, I like to send my backpack to Australia (about 8 kilos say) and continue on my travels without the hiking gear which is too expensive to ditch, but not required for my other travels.

Im having difficulty researching the options with clarity and from what I can see, it might be a costly exercise (over $200).

Has anyone done this and can provide some information to assist.

Many thanks and really looking forward to the journey and meeting new friends along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd be keeping my hiking clothes (because they travel well) and the backback to use around Europe and only send home my sleeping bag and maybe my poncho. If I dont need stuff afterwards, I probably don't need it on camino.

Still, that is not what you asked. I worked it out at about €70 which still seems a bit steep. Perhaps someone in Santiago could advise - maybe the wonderful Pilgrim House @natefaith ?

From looking at the Correos website there are three different rates and the economical rate is cheapest. To work it out properly you need to put in the dimensions of the package, as well as weight.

Thanks for replying. Good point. The dimensions of the box will be approx 60cm × 30cm x 30cm to fit in backpack, weighing all up ay 10 kilos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't live in Australia, but the few parcels I have sent to the U.S. have been fairly expensive. Most recently I have just left unwanted equipment in the donation boxes of albergues. In general, try to avoid taking anything that is too expensive to abandon, and take only items you WILL use, and leave all the items you MIGHT use at home.

For example, take a silk sleeping sack like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Line...hash=item210a0f4df9:m:mHFEtUD3iHMPOTPV_uTqdUw
and use blankets if you need more warmth (or wear layers of clothes). The expensive sleeping bag can be left at home!

Taking your empty, or nearly empty, backpack on the plane is not particularly cumbersome if you are checking you travel bag.

Two choices here I think - take cheaper items on Camino and just give them away in Santiago - what is the point of sending stuff home at a cost of more than the stuff is worth? Is only stuff after all, just things.
Second choice - possibility - where are you eventually flying home from? Can you send it to your departure city to be stored for you to collect?

Have sent box back to Australia 2 times . As traveling on for a few more months afterwards with changes in season some camino items were surplus to my next travel stage.
Its is costly . I use the Correos box and select lowest cost usually between 70-100 euros.
Hiking gear in Australia is expensive compared to europe and america. Agree with previous comments re value of contents need to be worth it. An experience at SdC correos when transaction was nearly completed my box had stamps stuck to box all 80 cent ones over a 100 awit postal lady counting carefully ... in Australia they would just issue a docket/ receipt which would be adhered to the box. So I got an amazing collection of spanish stamps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola. Thank you for replies and helpful information. I like the idea of donating what's redundant at the end of the trip. I did that on the Lares Treck in Peru with some warm outer layers which the porters were happy to receive as they pointed to their holey jumpers. It's a good way to cull ones wardrobe too. I have bought some expensive things though for this trip, which I'll know not to do next time, but, in the end, it's just stuff that can be replaced.
I'm lookin forward to the journey. I'll be 61 and just retired and this seems a wonderful way to usher in a new phase of my life.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.