• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Alverca ??

James Trehy

Time of past OR future Camino
In am doing the C Portugese in Sept. In Brierlys guide he says that there is no accommodation in Alverca, his first stop. However, I see on the internet that there is one called AHBV.
Does this exist, how do you get to it and has anybody stayed here ?
Thanks in advance for any help..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi James,

I don't know about anything in Alverca, but I can tell you that there is a great Albergue about 20 km from the cathedral in Lisbon. It is in a town called Alpriate, and it has been very well received by people walking from Lisbon.

My opinion is that if you are going to start in Lisbon, you should walk the 20 km first day and stay in that albergue. It is a perfect first night stop. There is a great café there, with well priced pilgrim meals. And it is a good way to meet the people with whom you will be walking for the next few weeks. People love that albergue. https://m.facebook.com/AlbergueAlpriate/

However, I see on the internet that there is one called AHBV.

Hi, that would stand for: Associação Humanitária de Bombeiros Voluntários. (Voluntary Firemen.) It used to be possible to stay at fire stations, but not so much any more.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The closest I can find is not an albergue, but something else in

VERDELHA DE BAIXO

Antes da Estação C.F. de Alverca, 2 km fora do Caminho mas sinalizado.
Várias opções:

A Faia – 15 € – Tel: 931 612 110 / 219 596 197
Dormidas Leal – 12,50 € – Tel: 219 585 902
A Lanterna – 15 € / 30 € – Tel: 965 204 469 / 219 576 488
Alfa 10 – 16 € / 26 € – Tel: 219 580 475

...and as jsalt mentiones, the firemen is not much of an option anymore

The AHBV (Firemen) in Alverca accept no pilgrims at leat since 2010.
As Peregrina2000 wrote, stop at Alpriate. Even if not staying there they will give you all the info you need to reach the next sleeping place, even call them to know if there are places available.
The next sleeping place is, as cj2003 wrote,
Before the Train Station in Alverca, 2km away from the Camino but signed.
Several options:
A Faia – 15 € – Tel: 931 612 110 / 219 596 197
Dormidas Leal – 12,50 € – Tel: 219 585 902
A Lanterna – 15 € / 30 € – Tel: 965 204 469 / 219 576 488
Alfa 10 – 16 € / 26 € – Tel: 219 580 475

I am not sure about those prices, they keep changing them.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back