• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Canfranc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello All

I wanted to know if anyone remembers the name of the new alburgue. Where Vacajoe volunteered in Confranc ?

Thanks

The albergue in Canfranc is the muni one.

See thread here.

Operated by FICS.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep, just “…the donativo in Canfranc Pueblo” for now, but perhaps it will get officially named this pilgrim season (NO SPOILERS!!!) 😎. Opens April 1, 2022 - end of October, I think

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Vacajoe! I live in Vacaville, CA. Do you?
I’m scheduled to volunteer at Canfranc beginning September 25, then walk the Aragones in October! I would like to here your experience there!

I'm looking forward to volunteering the second half of October this year, it will be my second stint in Canfranc. Last year I walked parts of the path between Somport and Jaca almost every day after morning chores. This year I may walk a few days of the Arles on my way in, it's always nice to arrive as a pilgrim..

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola from Canfranc and the new FICS albergue Don Elías Valiña. The albergue is open and is named for the parish priest of O Cebriero, who started painting the flechas amarillas - the yellow arrows that guide our way to Santiago :)
We have had our first pilgrims this season, 2-4 each night so far and we expect more this next week of Semana Santa.
The albergue is beautiful! The town is becoming lively in preparation for Semana Santa and several of the local people look in on us daily.
Today we noted that the guidebook, Miam Miam Dodo for the 2022-2023 season lists the albergue to be in Canfranc Estación, so hopefully the tourist office will guide them to continue on for 4.2 more km. Luckily our pilgrim pointed it out to us. Cyndi has messaged the guidebook with the mistake and already heard from them with a thank you! So, if you know anyone using the Miam guide, let them know.
Deeanne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks @Deeanne! My husband Phil and I will be coming through as pilgrims in late June and then back as hospitaleros the second half of July. Hope all is going well. The albergue does look lovely.
I think we were in training together in Los Altos :) If I remember correctly, you are from Boise?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We were from Boise, but now live in Laramie, WY. I teach at University of Wyoming and Phil is retired (I think he was at the training too, though! He did a HosVol albergue last fall in Caldazilla de los Hermanillos. I'm eager to get back since my last visit and hospitalero gig was before the pandemic!

Hola from Canfranc and the new FICS albergue Don Elías Valiña. The albergue is open and is named for the parish priest of O Cebriero, who started painting the flechas amarillas - the yellow arrows that guide our way to Santiago :)
We have had our first pilgrims this season, 2-4 each night so far and we expect more this next week of Semana Santa.
The albergue is beautiful! The town is becoming lively in preparation for Semana Santa and several of the local people look in on us daily.
Today we noted that the guidebook, Miam Miam Dodo for the 2022-2023 season lists the albergue to be in Canfranc Estación, so hopefully the tourist office will guide them to continue on for 4.2 more km. Luckily our pilgrim pointed it out to us. Cyndi has messaged the guidebook with the mistake and already heard from them with a thank you! So, if you know anyone using the Miam guide, let them know.
Deeanne
Enjoy your time there, it's lovely to have the support of the community in Canfranc. Do try and get out walking too!

Deeanne
Hi I have a couple of questions for you about this albergue just so I am clear. Is it the same albergue that is listed in Gronze:
If not would you please write the name and the address of the albergue.
I will be starting my camino in Mid November. Will it be open?
WIll the kitchen be open? (I know things can change with Covid)
Gronze shows it does not take reservations. Gronze also shows that there is a grocery store in Canfranc. I assume that is correct or should I shop in Canfranc Estacion?
Does the Albergue issue credentials. If for some reason the tourist office is closed in Canfranc Station can I get a Credential in the Albergue in Canfranc?
Thanks for all of your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is the same albergue! It had a soft opening last year in mid-August, but was just officially named, dedicated, and re-opened April 1, 2022. In 2022, it plans to close for the season at the end of October. It does not take reservations.

It is located in Canfranc (also known as Canfranc Pueblo), which is an hour’s walk downhill from Canfranc Estacion. A local bus serves this route four times a day in each direction between Somport and Jaca. Despite what some guides say, this is the only pilgrim albergue located in this village.

Currently, it has a well-furnished kitchen for use by pilgrims and the bar next door stocks a small supply of groceries (eggs, canned foods, banquettes, etc) when it is open. If you are looking for something specific, you are better served to buy it at one of the several markets in Canfranc Estacion. Breakfast of coffee, tea, and madelines/toast is served.

The albergue MAY have credentials to issue, but it is not guaranteed - their supply is small! You are better served buying one elsewhere if passing through Jaca or Canfranc Estacion.

I will be starting my camino in Mid November.
Please be aware that snow comes early to the Pyrenees at the Somport Pass, so check weather conditions daily before walking. Many of the Albergues on the Camino Aragones close for the season in the Fall, so accommodations will be a bit more difficult to find and more expensive than expected. The fall colors are lovely, though, and the route (except at the start) is definitely walkable, though you will likely be the lone pilgrim for much of the route.

The Gronze link says they will be open until Nov. 21 so if that is not correct, we should let someone know to get that changed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, yes this is the albergue listed and there are just a few things to consider. First, the albergue is scheduled to be open until mid November, but if the weather is poor then it may close earlier. Please call ahead to check. Also, there is no grocery store in Canfranc, so yes it is good to get supplies at Canfranc Estacion. There is a small bar next door with cafe and tapas and also a petrol station just up the road from where the camino comes into town. Presently, the kitchen is open for use and there are utensils, a pot for use, dinnerware. There are microwaves, a placa, stove, washer and dryer. We have a few credentials now and they will likely continue to keep some on hand from the tourist office. The only thing that may prevent you from a wonderful experience here is the timing of your walk.

Please be aware that snow comes early to the Pyrenees at the Somport Pass, so check weather conditions daily before walking. Many of the Albergues on the Camino Aragones close for the season in the Fall, so accommodations will be a bit more difficult to find and more expensive than expected. The fall colors are lovely, though, and the route (except at the start) is definitely walkable, though you will likely be the lone pilgrim for much of the route.
Thanks for all your information. I will check the weather and I am ready to make adjustments to my starting point based on the weather. I know I will probably be a very solitary pilgrim until I merge with the CF. Gronze shows the albergue closing on November 21. But I have a feeling that you have better information. Thanks so much and enjoy your time in Spain.

I hope the albergue is open when you come through. It was open for part of the year in 2021 and I know they closed the first week in November because there were no pilgrims coming through, so although their intent is to be open till Nov 21 it is very dependent on the weather and travel from the pass. I wish you a Buen Camino 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope the albergue is open when you come through. It was open for part of the year in 2021 and I know they closed the first week in November because there were no pilgrims coming through, so although their intent is to be open till Nov 21 it is very dependent on the weather and travel from the pass. I wish you a Buen Camino 😊

I look forward to being there again for the second half of October so it is open until the 31st at least! We had about 70 pilgrims through in early October last year, busier than I expected it might be..

How are you guys finding it, have you had a steady flow of pilgrims? And how is the lovely walk down from the Somport Pass just now?

I look forward to being there again for the second half of October so it is open until the 31st at least! We had about 70 pilgrims through in early October last year, busier than I expected it might be..

How are you guys finding it, have you had a steady flow of pilgrims? And how is the lovely walk down from the Somport Pass just now?
It will be good that you are returning! It is such a lovely albergue. We have had 2-4 pilgrims each night and we expect more for Semana Santa - maybe starting today, Saturday. There is still snow at the pass and there is snow in the weather forecast, plus rain this week, so we will see. I think maybe it is nearly always windy in this valley, but we have had some nice clear days to sit in the plaza. There is some new artwork since you were here last fall.

B2A69F9B-8A1A-4423-8014-1F3F37DFBD3F.jpeg0778900F-0C86-4712-A87F-869EFBE946A9.jpeg

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how the place has evolved over the course of it's first year!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can tell you with perfect confidence that Albergue Elias Valina in Canfranc will close at the end of October this year, and reopen April 1 2023... barring any unforeseen events. The kitchen is open. It's a donativo albergue. Pilgrims should bring their credentials with them, as we don't keep them on hand.

Deeanne
Deannnnneeeeee missing you here. It is been so nice to get to know the village and the other side of the Camino.

We'll be there July 15-31 and will walk the Aragones before we serve.
This albergue is on one of my favourite ways.
I am interested in volunteering there as well.
I got back more than I gave when I volunteered at a Portugese monastery in May. I will look forward to your posts re. This albergue.

This albergue is on one of my favourite ways.
I am interested in volunteering there as well.
I got back more than I gave when I volunteered at a Portugese monastery in May. I will look forward to your posts re. This albergue.
Hi @alwalker ,
My thread is active now under Live from the Camino. See this thread.
Janet

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back