• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues in Galicia 2011

sulu

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
a few since 2010
Galicia
NB Kitchens in Galician Albergues usually have good fixtures and fittings but very little in the way of pans, crockery or cutlery. Neither do they have fridges. Anyone on a budget and wanting to self cater is wise to carry a camping pan set.
O Porrino - 5€ - Large purpose built building with all the facilities you would expect. Separate shower areas.There is a drying area outside but in a public place so washing hung out at own risk.
Mos - reported to be quite basic, no outdoor drying area. Lovely old building in quiet village with lovely bar opposite.
Redondela - Old renovated building in the town. 2 dorms, male and female wash areas but for some reason there was some confusion as to which was which! No outside drying area. Only 1 ring in the kitchen.
I couldn't find Soutomaior or Vilaboa.
Pontevedra – Reported to open at 16.00, I don’t know, I got here later and was too tired to ask. The big bedroom has the light on a timer, it goes off every 5 minutes. The first albergue I saw with a washing machine, there is an outside drying area, well hidden at the bottom of the garden. Large sitting area.
Barro - refugio, mattresses uncovered and looked dirty. Showers, seats outside.
Briallos – opens 1pm but hospitalera not resident, at least not out of season, phone number on the door. Purpose built, in the country, very tranquil. Male and female dorms, each sleeps 16. Male and female showers etc. Shop about 1km. Drying area outside.
Caldas de Reis – Unusual, kind of open plan and walls are partitions. Shared wash area and toilets. Communal showers. Small seating area with microwave. There is a cyber cafe in town and hot foot baths/spa. When I was here everyone slept in bunks, not on mattresses as has been reported elsewhere.
Valga – this is signed just before reaching the village. I did not visit it but others who stayed said it was very nice. Bar and shop in the village.
I didn’t see an albergue in Pontecesures.
Padron - an old stone building next to the Parish Church, well presented. One dorm in the eaves, large cooking and sitting area. Very small drying area.
Teo - purpose built, in the country, the only kitchen I saw with a fridge! 2 dorms, each sleeps 10 separate male and female showers, female shower communal but there is a lock on the outside door! Large patio, clothes drying area outside. Bars fairly close, closest has a small shop, not well stocked but enough for an emergency.
I didn’t see an albergue in Ames

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.