• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus Ponchos,,,,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Pamplona the Caminoteca it's on Calle de Curia. Google Caminoteca.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wait till you get to Spain or France, unless you are in the EU, shipping is almost as much as the poncho itself.

www.directioncompestelle.com/ if in St Jean. Boutique du Pelerin, Tel. 05 59 37 98 52
Downtown in between the bridge and ATM. There is a contact link on the website. I bought one there, the lady is very helpful and nice. Perhaps (not sure) an online purchase possible.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@yesenia - I bought an Altus Poncho in one of the shops in O Cebreiro a couple of years ago.

IMO, for cold weather (you mentioned April earlier), a good Gortex jacket, Gortex pants and gaiters plus Gortex boots work better. Just my experience. My jacket was hooded. I stayed bone dry in these and they cut the wind. I also had a rain cover for pack. Not sure why I forked up for the Altus thought it long, runs big and felt as if I was hiking in a dress when I finally did open it. Not a fan. It's not really a poncho, it's a raincoat that goes to the ground. They also sell Packas at the store I mentioned so if you have rain pants you might consider the shorter Packa.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We pre-ordered our Altus ponchos from a shop in St Jean, and paid on pick up.
We contacted him via eMail, and he held the 2 ponchos for us (Sept 2013)
directioncompostelle@orange.fr He speaks English
We sent a reminder eMail a week before we left.

These are the BEST rain wear for walking.

PS... notice that in our picture we are wearing them. Mine is hung on my backpack so it can very quickly be put on.

Last edited:
Thanks Annie! we arrive in O Cebreiro in the afternoon... hope the place is still open... that would be ideal... there's nothing similar to the Altus Poncho here in the US that I have found... and if there is... it must be very expensive!

There are though! Two equivalent designs you can get in the US are.....

The Ferrino Trekker (priced similarly to the Altus and available with Prime shipping and free returns from Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G2ACTQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

The Packa (a brilliant, one-man-business piece of backpacking rain gear, pricey but totally deserving of its stellar reputation - obviously, I'm a fan)
http://www.thepacka.com/

I personally wouldn't take the risk, or risk the hassle, of arriving in Spain without my rain gear ready to go. There is nothing magical about the Altus - price or quality wise - that makes it worth hunting down after you get to Spain when there are other options available close to home before you get on the plane.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yesenia - if you think you take a M/L, send me your address and you get a free Altus. I didn't try it on before purchasing and she suggested a small. I'm 5'8 and swim in it. Not a fan of hiking in a long coat.
Wow Sara! that's amazing! I'm speechless... I am on a tight budget and your offer is really priceless. I'll message you with my info. I'd like to at least pay you something for it...
I would love to pay it forward and do the same when I come back from my camino! What a lovely think to offer!
and it inspires me to do the same with it once i come back.

Happy Friday! and full of blessing! :)

There is also a shop in Sarria you pass it one the way through the town when you have walked over the bridge and start climbing towards albergue municipal. I bought an Altus poncho there.

The shop @ranthr refers to is the Peregrinoteca and they have everything in there! Try the different models and see which features you like. I swear by my (lightweight) Altus, because it goes below my knees, covers me and my pack in one swift (possibly not elegant) movement and has a zip down the front to open it up between showers. Also I can leave it hanging off the pack and tie the sleeves across my front to let it dry. Love it, wouldn't dream of going near Galicia without it!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Have purchased a Packa instead of a poncho, hope it dose the job, ;-)

Its raining outside right now and I have to go out, I could do with either a poncho or a packa right now, LOL ;-)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have purchased a Packa instead of a poncho, hope it dose the job, ;-)

Its raining outside right now and I have to go out, I could do with either a poncho or a packa right now, LOL ;-)
Good choice! I've spent a lot of time in Ireland over the last 25 years, including 2 summers. If there was ever a place to try it out, it would be Ireland. ;-D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back