• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Am enjoying an extra day

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
@ quinta marchanta near porto de muge. It's a mellow, hot and lovely sunday. The kind, helpful and very friendly owner left for an outing to the ocean ( it is mothers day today in portugal) and i am the proxy- padrona of the day here @ the quinta.... Along with ten dogs and two horses...and much peace.
The walk yesterday was about 16 km.... Really lovely scenery. Gorgeous wildflowers to behold, frogs croaking to listen too and the birdsong is heavenly....
I love my "squadra lumaca" ( team snail) approach.
Tomorrow off to Santarem, another 16 km perhaps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 18
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
More photos from the quinta...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 14
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Claro.... I am happy to do so. Will stay at the hostel for sure. Even though i yet have to meet mario, he already has been most kindly responding to various inquiries etc. boa tarda...

@ quinta marchanta near porto de muge. It's a mellow, hot and lovely sunday. The kind, helpful and very friendly owner left for an outing to the ocean ( it is mothers day today in portugal) and i am the proxy- padrona of the day here @ the quinta.... Along with ten dogs and two horses...and much peace.
The walk yesterday was about 16 km.... Really lovely scenery. Gorgeous wildflowers to behold, frogs croaking to listen too and the birdsong is heavenly....
I love my "squadra lumaca" ( team snail) approach.
Tomorrow off to Santarem, another 16 km perhaps.

I see that you didn't get lost :p

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I see that you didn't get lost :p
Ah, sim...all went well. Very grateful for all little yellow friends with the appearance of arrows ...
Tomorrow i am intending an earlier start as it's rather hot here...
My body is slowly getting used to walking with weight on my back... Surely i will continue to get stronger over time...
Obrigada again for your assistance....
Am enjoying a serene evening here....saluti...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sin palabras....
( on the way to santarem.....)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 9
Further info about walking onwards....
The short version: signage after "Vale de Figuera" starts to become very hit and miss, more on the miss.
Be prepared to end up at places you don't intend to be.
In Azinhaga is a new place to stay.... On main street on right hand side, shortly after the Casa di Azinhaga ( which is quite nice, but in dire need of having all rooms aired out and filled with 21st century air.)
The new place is called something like Espiritu Santa, painted in bright golden yellow and white.
I intended to overnight in the new hostel place in Sao Caetano...the Hachmeister place.
Well..arrived, stood there...and no one responds to door knocks, bell ringing or calling out.
Thus i am digging up the phone number mentioned in the brierly guide....and i end up talking to a woman in a B&B that is five km away!!!
HUH?!
The phone numbers in the guide are all messed up. The woman and her husband were so kind to pick me up...and i stayed with them for the night. the also told me that the book wrote their fax number instead of phone number as contact..creating considerable hic ups as well...and that i was the 3.pilgrim in as many days who had called them - just like me: at the hachmeister place, no one opens...
The next day..the misguide book adventures continued shortly after Atalaia. The b-book mentions one ought to pay attention... But one can be attentive until one is blue in the face, if there is contradictory signage or none at all.... It is of no avail.
Walking alone, with heavy dark clouds overhead, not knowing which way i was heading... I wasn't exactly amused. Ended up at the busy and dangerous road110 and trugged along....
Eventually ended up in Tomar which is just a MARVELOUS place to visit. Love it....
Booked myself into the 2300Tomar hostel....very friendly and well kept place, new etc...
Showed them the photos i have taken of the confusing signage etc...and they in turn have contacted ViaLusitana group
But but but ...my visit coincided with the youth group from hell! Or actually , from Belgium.
All pilgrims rather upset and very very underslept because none of us got any sleep.
Seems like here are no rules enforced and any deranged group or person has the run of this place.
Which is truly too bad indeed.... Since it is a good place. Maybe call in before if they host a group...and if they do, choose another place.
The owner of course is very upset about it as well, since it can ruin her business....
So, i am looking for a new place to sleep tonight. Still in Tomar though, since it is a lovely place.
Will also include photos of the conflicting signs. Was told that ViaLusitana folks were shocked to learn about it and said they will look into it.
So...hope all this mess will result in some solid improvement....
Saluti...am off to find some hot cafe and pastries...
Claudia

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

Sample of the "conflicting" signage past Atalaia...
viaLusitania has been made aware of the situation now and said that they will send someone to fix the conflicting signs and vanishing signs....
The yellow arrows continue a little bit until after the bridge.... And then Who knows what happened to them...
Yesterday i also noticed yellow arrows Up to the templar castle..Yes, it is a great sight to visit, but not sure why yellow caminho arrows point that way...it certainly isn't the way out of town:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849 KB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back