• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American pilgrim leaving from SJPP around Sept 8th....

sunsengnim

Hi everyone! Just bought my ticket to Madrid for Sept 4th, and will start my Camino around the 8th! This forum has been extremely helpful and I can't help but read a little each day. I'm looking forward to the walk, the challenge, the refugios!, plenty of cafe con leche, and some time for thinking.

I'd also like to buy a guidebook. Can someone recommend one that will list refugios (and descriptions), places to eat, but also including historical facts about cathedrals, etc along the way? Is this what the CSJ Camino Frances book has? Something lightweight too!

Also- I'll have time until December or January to be in Europe. I'm looking for volunteer opportunities (work in exchange for room and board preferably- not necessarily in Spain!) and a Spanish language school. Any ideas? Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,

Congrats on the tickets! ... you are on your way.

Regarding Spanish courses, if you would like stay in Santiago I know that they University has Spanish classes for foreigners at different levels. Don't remember the details now. If you want me to research this more, let me know.

Regarding the volunteer work... it is not really common in Spain (as far as I know)... someone else might know more...

Buen camino!

Ivar

I ordered the CSJ Camino Frances booklet & it does contain information about the route & alternatives, as well as suggestions for refugios & albergues. It does contain some historical information. Even though I live in the US, I received the booklet & the DVD "Within the Way Without" (which I also recommend) about a week after I ordered them! :D

I recently ordered the 2nd edition of the Bethan Davies book "Walking the Camino de Santiago" from Amazon. It's a bit more detailed than the CSJ book. I also ordered A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago : Camino Frances - The French Way of St. James by Brierly. I have not yet received it so I can't give you an opinion on it yet, but I have seen it recommended on this site.

You might also want to look at this site for a graphic view of the Camino Frances as well as what the albergues & routes look like: http://www.mundicamino.com/ Just click on the British flag for the English version.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whilst I would always take the CSJ Guide, it is so small,cheap and up to date. As a first timer the Brierly book my be useful to you, it gives more information and has maps. It is still relatively light.

Buen Camino

I appreciate all your suggestions! Those book recommendations are very helpful. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Ivar- thanks for the idea of studying in Santiago. I'll have a look online for info, but if I can't find anything, I'll let you know.

Cheers!

Hi there!

Hi Sun!

Although Joe and I are leaving a few days ahead of you, I'm sure you'll pass us by since we'll be traveling pretty slowly.

Please look for us and say hello. He's very tall and slender, with hair to his waist. He may have it up in a black beret. I'm short and sturdy with very SHORT hair and may have on my Tilley hat if it's sunny.

As first timers, we just LOVE the Brierly guides. Small, compact, with a lot of great information in them!

Where do I get this CSJ booklet people are talking about?

See you there!
Deborah and Joe from Portland, Oregon

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey Deborah! I'll certainly keep my eye out for ya'll on the camino. I'm sure we'll meet. I've got blonde hair, I'll have my trusty blue backpack on and I'll be walking alone.

If you go to http://www.csj.org.uk click on the bookshop, then CSJ Pilgrim's guide links- that'll take you to their selection of guides they offer.

-Genah from Nashville

hey there,
im from MA and will be starting a pilgrimage from geneva. very probable that i could run into you between the 4-8th since ill be arriving there at about the same time. anyways im sure everyone heading out is very excited! good luck yall!! hmmm i wonder if you klnow something that i dont!? here is a question.
anyone know how to look up businesses in france? im searching for an outdoor store (esbit stove) to take with me and want to see what shops in france/spain there are. any ideas? (probably some simple search function that i dont know of)

Ooooo! That sounds like a really amazing adventure. When are you starting from Geneva? Are there refugios along the way? Have a wonderful time and I do hope we meet up.

Good question about how to find outdoor stores in Spain and France. I did a quick google and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone on this site from France/Spain can give you some names of stores. There is an Amazon France, but not Spain. Maybe you could buy one and have it sent to you poste restante somewhere. Anyway, hope you find one!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
oo thanks ivar for the links!

i am flying into london on august 1st. ill stay the night then head out the next day. In france there are Gite d'Etape, which is similar to refugios. They are a bit more expensive but not unreasonable. Once i arrive at Le Puy it will be much easier to find them. From Geneva to Le Puy will be about a 2-3week walk depending on my mood, timing etc. In france i will be carrying a hammock and will camp. THe infrastructure for pilgrims (from what i know) in this section will be few. It will be hostels or camping. I prefer camping and will do so all along the way. I will have the funds to stay in accomadations the entire way but will have my hammock for those beautiful choice nights out! Good idea about the poste restante. Im sure there must be a store in Geneva that sells Esbit Stoves! I believe the esbit stove is made by a german company.. shouldnt be too difficult and im not too stressed about it at all. Anyway repairing equipment, looking for fuel for stove, searching for a little 1/2 size guitar (child size), and searching for a walking staff will be part of the fun! Im planning for a total of 3 months (maximun allowed without visa) and if i have time once i reach Finisterre i will find out how to walk to portugal. hehe, ive done a lot of backpacking in the past and this will be my first trip to europe but im ready to have no expectations and enjoy the gift of walking!

i tell people here in the states that i plan on walking from switzerland to spain and they all look at me like im nuts! its really funny how us americans have a warped sense of fun, i mean how commercial our economy is and how materialism can certainly overwhelm your life.
I tell my friends things like this:
The crime rate in Los Angelas County is higher than the crime rate of the nation of spain.
Calculate all your bills, cell phone, phone, internet, electricity, rent/mortgage, gas etc. if you add all this together it is so much more expensive to live like this than it is to hike for long distances.
If you commit to any time to backpacking your life will change, i cant tell you how, and you cant imagine the benefits.

eek its one month till i leave.. im so excited. hehe i went on a long winded talk! thanks for listening!
chris

Right thinking

Chris,
I agree 100% with you regarding the crime rate issue, and I agree also 100% with you when it comes to funds.

People always look at wisdom as though it is craziness... strange, isn't it?
They crucified Christ, tortured Galileo, burned Bruno, the Apostles, Ghandi, Agrippa, Paracelsus, and the list goes on and on and on... so you are in GREAT company! ::grin:::

Buen Camino!
Deborah

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Beginning September 8th

Hi John from Ireland, I arrive in St Jean on the 8th and plan to begin walking on the 9th, good luck !

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back