• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino An Alaskan peregrina on the Lana — November 2021

Time of past OR future Camino
Aragon/CF 08, Arles 10, Le Puy 12, Geneva 14, VdlP 15, Norte/Primitivo 15, VF 17, Levante 18, Moz 19
I hope this summary of my recent Ruta de la Lana will be useful to someone.

Like many of us, I was more than ready to get walking again, despite the continuing pandemic, so when I felt it was safe enough for me to travel to Spain and walk, I started November 11th, though this was a little later in the fall than I normally start a 685 km walk. Starting this late meant it was ever so cold in late November and December in the central high plateau. I got as far as Atienza on December 3rd.

So here are some notes, mostly an outline of my stages, accommodations, and other useful items. Distances are approximate. All accommodations were arranged by phone 1-3 days in advance. Initially I was concerned that many albergues would be closed, but in fact the only albergues I found closed because of the pandemic were in Novelda and Alpera.
My resources were Kevin O’Brien’s very useful Walking Guide of September 2018, the Spanish language Camino de la Lana guide published in 2019 by the Alicante Amigos del Caminos de Santiago (spiral bound, heavy, 150 pages with some information on accommodation, phone numbers, distances, notes on villages and towns), the online 250 some page document by the same Amigos, with very detailed trail directions in Spanish and maps, and another good source of information on accommodations. I also took notes on many of the accounts on this website.

Stage 1: Alicante to cemetery at edge of city. 5 km (and one way by city bus). I flew into Alicante in the morning, jet-lagged and foggy, found the centrally located Hotel Cervantes and checked in (but next time would choose Albergue Juvenil La Florida as it looked pleasant and is more in keeping with my budget), got my first sello just after the noon mass at the Basilica de Santa Maria de Alicante, and then chose to take bus #4 (stops in front of the post office near the railroad station) to the municipal cemetery in the afternoon and then walk back back to my hotel, to make the next day shorter. I was pleased to find the grave of Spanish poet Miguel Hernandez, and equally pleased to rest in the little bar opposite, Bar Los Cipreses, and have a cafe con leche and a pincha de tortilla de patatas. Stopping in that bar made me feel like I had started my camino. The reason I felt compelled to get the first 5 km out of the way was that I had an 11am appointment the following morning at the office of the Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Alicante with Federico Ramirez to bring him a U.S. credential and a patch from the Anchorage Chapter of the American Friends of the Camino, and I knew if I left Alicante at noon, it would be hard for me to walk the 24 km to Orito. I am a slow walker and the days are short in November.

Stage 2: Cemetery to Orito. 19 km. After my meeting, I again took City Bus #4 to the cemetery and continued on. Just to show how desperate I was to walk a Spanish camino again, I admit I was perfectly happy to brave the short stretch of busy highway with no shoulder just past the cemetery, and to walk through the industrial area with its odd smells and blowing plastic bags. All I really saw were the butterflies and wildflowers. The section of what resembled our U.S. southwestern badlands, with a stoney path, deep brown gullies and scrub brush was beautiful. In Orito, I needed to wait about an hour for hospitalero Raul to arrive, but it was a pleasant wait in the small park in front of the Casa Del Peregrino, 15 E. Bar Nuevo nearby looked permanently closed. I had emailed Raul in advance, and texted him the day before as a reminder. The large room had 3 beds, one space heater which was good enough to dry a few clothes, and a shower with lukewarm water, despite waiting more than an hour to heat it up. I chose Orito instead of Novelda because the albergue in Novelda was covid-closed, and also because of my late start. I thought Orito was a pleasant, well-laid out town.

Stage 3: Orito to Petrer. 21 km. I had read in numerous blogs that pilgrims enjoyed staying in Hotel Fuente el Cura in Sax but on their web site they had no availability and were super expensive. So I aimed for Petrer, following the yellow arrows to Elda and then cutting over to its adjoining town, Petrer. I had been told by the Caudete hospitalero that the Petrer albergue was open, and after 5 phone calls (2 to the policia, 2 to different hospitaleros referred to me by the policia, and a call to the tourist office), I believed it was. It was a little odd because each person I called told me to call someone else. Finally someone told me to go to the police station in Petrer once I arrived, (Avenida de la Libertad, 32) so I did this. Their first question was: had I called ahead of time to set this up. When I confirmed that I had called in advance, the policeman on duty called a couple of numbers and Israel arrived quickly to drive me in to the center of the old city, just two blocks below the castle, opposite the cathedral and a block from the tourist office to show me the municipal/parroquial albergue, free: one small very clean bedroom with 2 beds, sheets, blankets, pillows, 1 chair, and adjoining bathroom with hot water. It is right next to a Caritas office which is where Israel went to turn on the hot water; I think it is used for a variety of purposes. I was not given a key - just told to leave the door ajar until bedtime, and to close the door when I left in the morning. I felt very comfortable. Israel was great. He gave me advice on dinner - a restaurant at the nearby square in front of the church, and I felt well taken care of. There was nowhere to leave a donativo and I forgot to ask.

Stage 4. Petrer to Villena. 23 km. Staying in Petrer I felt off the camino, with no arrows that I could find. I walked in the direction of Elda, found what turned out to be the correct bridge over the river, followed an arrow or two uphill on the highway to one of its hairpin turns where I turned right and then sharp left up a trail to the top of the ridge. There were no arrows here so I assume this was not correct, but a young man out walking his dog, described a route up to the ridge, and then told me to head down to the railway tracks on the other side where I would pick up my camino. This worked, though I am sure it was a circuitous route. It wouldn’t have worked if it had been misty. This was one of the few times I didn’t find the arrows. (Other times were in towns, but I am used to that.) In Villena I easily found the Pension La Casa de las Aromas, 46E, as it was more or less on the camino route through town. This is a kind of fancy place, a lovely renovation of an old house. I thought the owner had told me a pilgrim’s price of 36E, but at time of payment it was 46E. I would have found something less expensive, but I was still jet lagged and was just pleased to have a good bed, and deal with my blisters.

Stage 5. Villena to Caudete. 15 km. As others have noted, at this point, the Ruta de la Lana begins to feel a bit more rural and beautiful. Caudete was wonderful: the great Albergue de Peregrinos Santa Ana, 8E, on top of the hill, adjoining the chapel of Santa Ana, great hospitaleros (young Javier, the older Miguel, and Juaquin, the president of the local association, who came by to visit in the evening, and was informative and charming.) As I was walking alone, I had the whole building to myself. The two bunk beds upstairs in the room with the beautiful view had had their upper mattresses removed to limit the number of people. There was one bed downstairs, so capacity was three. The shower was super hot. The small kitchen was off-limits, a covid change. This was the first albergue that felt like a real pilgrim albergue. They had just opened October 18th after a long pandemic closure. A late afternoon dinner at bar El Chato was perfect and not far away.

Stage 6. Caudete to Almansa. 27 km. Bar La Luchy, on the camino, opposite the bullring on the way out of the town of Caudete, was open early. Another nice day of walking. I had stayed with the sisters in Almansa when I walked the Levante in 2017, so it felt like coming home to stay with them again at the Convento Esclavas de Maria, 7E. I admit I was completely lost in Almansa. Despite google maps, and a paper map from the tourist office, I could not orient myself.. I was trying to get advice regarding my suboptimal cell phone and visited 3 phone stores, as well as a grocery store and the tourist office, so had plenty of opportunities to get lost. I just kept asking directions for the Plaza de la Constitución and found my way back to the convent from there. I usually have a good sense of direction and had read directions from previous threads on how to get to the convent. Chalk it up to continuing jet lag.

Stage 7. Almansa to Alpera. 23 km. A more beautiful quiet day of walking, and a repeat of a day from my Levante camino walk: civil war bunkers, rabbits, walking along the edge of a plowed field parallel to the railroad tracks. I had called earlier and knew that the albergue in Alpera was closed. The Ayuntamiento folks said it was because of the continuing pandemic; Antonio, the hospitalero of Alatoz refuted that information and said it was because there was no one to take on the responsibility of running the albergue municipal of Alpera. At any rate, it was closed, and I stayed at the Hostal El Cazador, 21 E for a single room (including breakfast) which was fine. A fellow pilgrim walker knocked on my door late at night, an elderly Colombian/Spanish missionary who was lonely walking the Levante, and I learned the pilgrim price is quite variable at the Hostal El Cazador.

Stage 8. Alpera to Alatoz. 25 km.
So this was the day when the one other pilgrim I met, decided to leave the Levante and join me on the Ruta de la Lana as he disliked his solitary walk. A beautiful day of walking. Alatoz is a small community of 500 people, with no bars, restaurants or tiendas open the day we arrived. The loss of bars open daily was pandemic related. We were told one still opens on the weekends. This was in November and maybe other months are different. The albergue is in the polideportivo at the top of the village, Albergue Municipal, Donativo. Antonia, the wonderful hospitalero arrived promptly. The room was huge with 4 beds, sheets, pillows, blankets, great heat, and hot showers in the unheated bathrooms. Antonia, when he heard the Columbian pilgrim did not have food with him, brought us a large bag of great snacks and returned at 7pm to drive us back to Alpera for a meal at the Hostal El Cazador.

Stage 9. Alatoz to Casas Ibanez. 29km. No coffee as no bars open in Alatoz. We did have a coffee and the best tortilla espanola I have ever had at the Centro Social bar at the entrance of Casas del Cerro at 15.5 km. This was the amazing day when, after 17 km, we walked down into the gorge of Alcala de Juzar and up the other side to the castle and on across the vineyards to Casa Ibanez. Following the yellow painted tips of the metal supports in the vineyards made for good trail finding. We were told that Casas Ibanez no longer had a municipal albergue, but the lack of one was not pandemic related. Hotel Aros, 28E for a single room was grand. And then Antonio showed up as promised at 7pm to drive us back to a gourmet restaurant overlooking Alcala de Juzar, lit up at night, for one of the best meals I’ve ever had. I did not feel quite like a pilgrim, but I loved it. Antonio, a physician on a year of medical leave, was a great conversationalist, as best I could tell with my limited Spanish, and we talked pilgrimage.

Stage 10. Casas Ibanez to Villarta. 27 km. Coffee and tostadas at 7:30, ordered the night before as the Hotel Aros bar doesn’t officially open until later, was great. Another day of fields, brown in November, and vineyards with seemingly ignored ripe and rotting grapes on the vines, punctuated by small towns where figuring out how to leave town on the camino was a challenge. My cell phone was not able to use wikilocs most days, so I was challenged. Villarta does have an acogida for pilgrims, a room in the library building. It had one blanket on the floor and an adjoining bathroom. I did not ask about heat, but the room felt warm. The key is in the bar opposite, on the camino route. We did not stay there, as my companion did not have a mat for sleeping on the floor. Instead we went to the rooms above the Los Tubos Restaurant, 25E each for a two bed room, where the main advantage was a small tienda a block away. If alone, I would have slept in the library building room.

Stage 11. Villarta to Campillo de Altobuey. 30.8 km. Los Tubos was not open for breakfast.. A day of undulating countryside, encina holm oak trees, pine groves, plowed fields, vineyards and almond trees. We had coffee and food at the bar of Hostal Pepe in Graja de Iniesta at 10.3 km. The polideportivo was open at Campillo de Altobuey, but again, my companion wanted more comfort, so we ended up staying in a holiday bungalow, 25 E each for 2 people with 2 bedrooms, 3 beds, heat, hot shower, and kitchen located near where we entered town. This was arranged by Maria, who works at the polideportivo. This was the point where I realized I needed to break with the missionary pilgrim and walk my own camino. So the following day I was on my own again, and he hitchhiked home to Valencia to find more fertile ground for his missionary work.

Stage 12. Campillo de Altobuey to Paracuellos de la Vega. 17 km. The only bar open early with both coffee and toast I was in the main plaza in the centro social bar, though there were probably others. This was a day of walking in the cold mist and fog through farmland. Paracuellos had a population of 80, and only 4 schoolchildren. The woman who runs the only bar has a casa rural, Casa Rural Mirador del Castillo, 20 E (which included lots of breakfast supplies). I arrived the one day of the week that the bar was closed, but she made me a coffee and poured it in a bottle for me to heat up in the microwave for the morning, and gave me a container of milk, bread and magdalenas. She took me to the tienda opposite so I could buy some supplies for dinner and the next day. She was very kind and thoughtful. Her casa rural slept 10, had heat, and a full kitchen. It was very comfortable, if a bit cold and she was kind and helpful. Her husband had walked some of the Camino Frances years earlier. I enjoyed this little town, and appreciated that visiting the castle didn’t require climbing to the top of the town.

(I think I have reached my word limit, so to be continued.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
(Continuing)

Stage 13. Paracuellos de la Vega to Monteagudo de las Salinas. 18 km. I had been warned about snow, but there was no snow, just freezing temperatures and cold winds. The castle ruins in the morning fog were eerie, followed by a sighting of 3 roe deer bounding up the hillside, their white rumps bouncing. Much of the walk was through forest lands, with some barren fields. I think I saw one person all day, a farmer on a tractor. I meant to stay at the Centro Social Municipal in Monteagudo de las Salinas, (which I was told had heat but no shower) but had been unable to reach anyone on the phone in the days prior. The ayuntamiento was closed when I got there, and the first person I saw on the streets was Sandra, so I ended up staying at her Casa Rural El Rincon de Sandra, 20E for a single room. She kindly took me to the one store at the base of the village so I could buy provisions, and pointed out the obvious continuation of the camino for the next morning. For those of you who know her, she has a new electric bicycle. By evening, each room of the Casa Rural was full, with a couple on their way by car to Madrid, and some road workers, so I did not get to enjoy the fire in the fireplace, given that not everyone was masking. The Villa de Pedalillo at the entrance of the village was only open on the weekends in November, so not an option as a place to stay, but the owner sounded friendly on the phone.

Stage 14. Monteagudo de las Salinas to Fuentes. 24 km. My memories of this stage were that of trying to get warm. Strong cold wind. Lovely walk , lots of forest, snow at higher elevations. When I got to Fuentes, a coffee in Bar Los Cazadores helped. They sent me to the Ayuntamiento to access the Albergue municipal/parroquial in the ermita, free. The Ayuntamiento woman called someone to take me to the one room albergue, connected to the ermita. There was one bunk bed, blankets, sheets, one radiator and hot water for the shower. As noted by others, the plaster is falling from the walls. It felt very damp and very cold. The one radiator did not put out enough heat to warm the room much. The bathroom had a small window high up which could not be closed. There were cracks around the door. So back to the bar for a long late afternoon dinner, and then to 6pm mass in the adjoining ermita - where the heat was turned on full blast. Folks were kind in this little town, and I appreciated their small albergue room.

Stage 15. Fuentes to Cuenca. 24 km. Bar Los Cazadores was open shortly after 7am for breakfast, and I chose a table next to a working radiator. Then a lovely day, walking past the lagunas with mallards and other water birds, then climbing the hill to an ermita on a ridge where the Ruta de la Lana had a long detour (maybe avoiding the muddy field which pilgrims used to have to cross), through pine groves and then encina groves with occasional fields. It was cold enough that I was on the look out for another hot coffee, but Mohorte had nothing open and La Melgosa likewise. A woman I met in Melgosa said that the one bar had closed 18 months earlier because of the pandemic, and took me home for coffee and snacks of fried bread and chorizo. Such kindness. She also advised me to walk the highway to Cuenca, 8 km away, as she said the camino mud was almost impassable. So I did, though I can’t say that I recommend the highway. Luis, the hospitalero of the Casa de Peregrinos, Donativo, saw me waiting outside just as he was leaving work for lunch - and got me signed in. A fine place: a large sitting room with microwave, refrigerator, large table, chairs and loads of maps and information, and 2 bedrooms, one with just 2 comfortable beds and a space heater, the other a large room with 4 or 5 bunk beds. The shower was hot. And this was the place where a camino friend from pre-pandemic days, a Catalan from Barcelona, met up with me so we could walk on to Siguenza together. I was ready for a companion, especially a Spanish speaking one. It helps to be fluent in Spanish. Luis had given me 10 minutes of advice on the route ahead; then later when my friend Josep arrived, gave us an hour's worth of advice, much more detailed, and very helpful.

Stage 16. Cuenca to Villar de Domingo Garcia. 28.5 km. We followed Luis’s recommendations on when to walk the road to avoid mud, which meant a fair amount of road walking. We did stop and listen to the 45 minute lecture on the Roman mosaics at the archeological site near Noheda. I understood little of the guide’s rapid Spanish, but others enjoyed it immensely, so I’d recommend stopping if it is open and if you are fluent in Spanish. We made a valiant effort after Noheda to follow the camino path, but the mud was just too difficult so we cut cross country across muddy fields to regain the road. In Villar de Domingo Garcia, Bar Goyo had the key and showed us the Albergue Municipal, donativo, in the library building a block away. It had a very good hot shower, and one small room crowded with 2 bunk beds, 1 chair and one small table. There were clean towels, clean sheets and lots of blankets. There was no heat. So the afternoon and evening were spent in Bar Goya where we charged our phones, ate, and stayed warm. And despite the unheated albergue, we slept fine.

Stage 17. Villar de Domingo Garcia to Villaconejos de Trabaque. 22 km. Bar Goya was open at 8am for breakfast. Highlights of this day were great coffee and tortillas in the truck stop bar on the road at the entrance to Albalate de las Nogueras as we waited out a snow storm. We were told there was no bar elsewhere in the town. Another highlight was being invited into one of the many cuevas as we were exiting the town, to learn about the local wine production and, of course, to sample some. And when we arrived at Casa del Santero, donativo, in Villaconejos de Trabaque, the hospitality of Pepe and Paulino was as great as others have described it. The albergue had a small radiator in the ground floor sitting room, good enough for drying a few pieces of clothing, and one space heater upstairs which we moved into the smallest of the 3 bedrooms. There were loads of blankets and pillows. The shower was hot. (One of my biggest preoccupations was staying warm, with temperatures consistently hovering around zero centigrade.) We had a wonderful evening in Pepe’s cueva, eating homemade soup cooked over the fire in the fireplace, the scallop shaped homemade bread, the home-cured ham, and other delicacies, and the company was memorable.

Stage 18. Villaconejos de Trabaque to Salmeron. 23 km. After meeting Paulino in the one open bar for breakfast (opened at 8:45am, later than advertised), we walked the highway mostly. This was following Pepe’s advice that the lovely riverside walk was impassable because of high water levels. We stopped at the one open bar in Valdeolivas and persuaded the lady to heat up bocadillos after we had bought the cheese, ham and bread in her little shop in the bar. A very nice small bar, and a place to warm up. Then on through the slippery sticky red mud to Salmoron, where the mayor met us in Bar Cazador, the lower of the two open bars, to give us the key to the Albergue municipal, 5E, just up the hill. The neighbor woman who lives just before the albergue checked us in, and tried to demonstrate that the pellet stove worked. It didn’t. Then she found a space heater. The albergue has a sitting room with a table, several chairs and a couch, and a bedroom with maybe 5 bunk beds. The shower was hot. We were invited out for a drink by a friend of Pepe’s so we went to the upper bar, which was small and friendly, but had no food. When we returned to the albergue, we saw the space heater was no longer working, and visited the neighbor woman to let her know; she went in search of a different space heater. We had previously ordered a hot dinner at the Bar Cazador, so we spent the rest of the afternoon and evening at Bar Cazador. We found the elderly man working the bar quiet, but rather fun. He fixed us the biggest cafe con leche grande I have ever seen. Dinner was hot soup, a better than usual plato combinado and then the elderly man delivered the dessert: homemade flans over a cake like base. He almost had a twinkle in his eye. So I loved this bar. And on return to our albergue, the sleeping area was no longer freezing.

Stage 19. Salmeron to Trillo. 32 km. A beautiful day of walking. Bar Cazador opened as advertised at 8am so we could get our toast and coffee. I loved the walking today, despite the mud. At one point my companion took two wrong steps and sunk into the mud over both ankles. If there was a next time, I think I would climb over the fence/ under the gate of the evil landowner who has blocked the camino, as the worst mud was on the detour around his property. We saw one person all day, a man with his dog, thinking of hunting. We had a picnic lunch in Viana de Mondejar and saw no one. The section after our lunch to Trillo was beautiful with narrow winding trails. In Trillo we needed to wait an hour before someone at the Ayuntamiento came to let us in the Albergue Municipal at the bullring. He insisted it was free, but we left a donativo in the box outside the door where we left the key in the morning. We felt we needed to pay something for the space heater and hot showers. There were 3 beds in a room with a full length mirror on one wall (for the matadors to check their outfits?). There were no pillows or blankets, which we were told was because of the pandemic. I seem to remember pilgrims pre-pandemic commenting on the lack of blankets, though. But the space heater worked well, and the showers were great. Dinner was at the one open bar by the waterfall.

Stage 20. Trillo to Cifuentes. 14 km. In the morning, we wanted coffee and knew the bar by the waterfall opened late. So we went to the early-opening bar on the other side of the river, next to the little store. It was suppose to open at 8am but at 8:30 it was still closed and a neighbor told us not to expect it to open soon. So off we went without coffee. Luckily at Gargoles de Abajo (or was it Gargoles de Arriba) there was a bar almost as the camino exited the village. Josep needed to knock at her door, but she was happy to open the bar for us and feed us well and visit at length about the decline of villages in the area, and the course of the pandemic. In Cifuentes, we did check out the polideportivo: 3 bunk beds, hot showers, 2 blankets, and no heat. It was such a short day, 14 km, so we were there early and couldn’t see spending hours in an unheated space, so back into town and to Hostal San Roque, 20E each for a room with 2 beds. This was a fine hostal, and it was warm. We had a great menu del dia in a crowded spot near the center of town, and loved exploring this town with its 2 grand cathedrals facing one another, and arcaded plazas.

Stage 21. Cifuentes to Mandayona. 29 km. Early breakfast at the bar on the road which has the polideportivo key, Bar Salmeron. Then a lovely day of walking. Highlights were sightings of roe deer, the brightly painted Land Art of the mostly deserted village of Moranchel. No bar open there. Las Inviernas also deserted, but it was a cold misty morning, not the kind of weather to be outside. We enjoyed great food and coffee at the truck stop on the left as we approached the highway. Then more mist, so dense we could hear herds of sheep and their sheep dogs nearby but could not see them. The fog lifted in Mirabueno so we had lovely vistas from the edge of the escarpment down to the Rio Dulce valley. In Mandayona, we got the key to the Albergue Municipal, free (but we left donations) at the Ayuntamiento. It is currently in one room of a co-working building associated with a school, and behind the health center. It was a small room just big enough for one bunk bed, one chair and one small table. It was clean and had a space heater just large enough to heat up the small room. So it was perfect. There were also 2 inflatable mattresses though the room wasn’t big enough to lay them both out. The adjoining bathroom had a great hot shower. The one open bar, Bar Los Milagros, was a block away and the barman was very helpful, loaning us a phone as ours did not have service in this town. We also got a great hot meal that night in the bar.

Stage 22. Mandayona to Siguenza. 24 km. If yesterday’s walk was a 4 star day in the mist, this day was a 5 star day. Both Josep and I have walked many caminos, and we thought this was one of the loveliest days we had walked. Unfortunately we walked it without breakfast. We knew the bar in Mandayona did not open early, but had been told the store across the street opened early and had coffee. Well, it did not open early. At any rate, it was a beautiful walk up the river valley, through the gorges, with raptors swooping overhead. Pelegrina did have 2 bars. We were advised to go to the first one, which was an El Mirador place with great coffee and no toast, no food. It was not a typical village bar, though it did have a spectacular view from the fancy dining room. And then a trail across the valley and up the hill opposite, and on across a flat plateau to Siguenza, with its long odd approach to town via the castle. We saw another roe deer just 10 minutes before reaching the castle. The recommended Residencia de los Padres Josefinos was closed for renovations so we stayed at the Albergue Privato/Hostal Ciudad del Doncel 23E per person for a 2 bunkbed room which included a huge breakfast. There were only two other people staying in this hostal so we had our breakfast alone.. They set it out the night before, so breakfast is as early as you like. We were very comfortable here, and it is near where the camino leaves town, so convenient for the departure. Siguenza has much to see and I should have spent another night there. The Museo Diocesano de Arte Antiguo had a nice sello; the cathedral did not.

Stage 23. Siguenza to Atienza. 32 km. My friend left by train to return to Barcelona and I continued alone. Unfortunately I knew I was developing a sciatica variant, which I had had on a prior camino, and instead of resting several days in Siguenza to calm it down, I continued walking. I had been advised by Antonio, the doctor hospitalero of Alatoz with whom I still texted, to walk the highway, not the path, in case I needed help. I walked the first seven km to the walled village of Palazuelos, and then cut over to the highway for the rest of the day, battling a strong cold head wind. Antonio suggested I break the stage in half and stay at the spa hotel in Imon. I did stop there for a coffee and gift of cake, as well as a gifted bottle of water, a very fancy spa hotel, 100 plus Euros/night. I enjoyed the Cuban hostess/caretaker at that hotel. But of course I didn’t stay there. Instead I struggled on. This was a rather stupid mistake. Ten km before Atienza, I was ready to call for help, but there was no cell service. I tried hitchhiking, but when that failed, I walked on to the entrance to Atienza, and called the mayor, who is the contact person for the Albergue Municipal, free, who sent his son to pick me up. The albergue was a small building almost at the top of the town, next to a playground, with beautiful views of the countryside. There was a hot shower, a huge room suitable for parties and events which had a pellet stove. But even the roaring fire (briefly, before the pellets ran out) did not heat the room much. Luckily the one bedroom with 2 beds, 2 blankets, 1 sofa, and 3 chairs had a small space heater which took the chill off if placed inches from the bed. I spent 2 nights there, mostly in bed, hoping my leg would improve, and trying to stay warm. The mayor’s son was helpful by text, trying to get the pharmacy to open on the weekend for medications, and offering to drive me to the bus stop 2 km from town. I did explore the town a bit on day two hobbling about, but could not bear much weight on one of my legs. It had many fine features, arcades, arches, and spectacular views. There was a friendly small bar/restaurant, in the plaza which was nearest the tourist office/museum of ethnology.

When it was clear I was not getting better I struggled down the hill to the Hostal Santa Cristo, 15E each for a 2 person, 2 bed room, at the entrance to town, where I spent an extra night. A Belgium friend who had planned to meet up with me to walk the last 5 days into Burgos, instead rented a car and came to pick me up. She joined me at the Hostal Santa Cristo for one last night in Alatoz. This hostal is great - it is run-down, mildewy, bathroom door didn’t close, etc - and I’m not sure it is even a legitimate business, but the man running it was ever so kind, greeted me with coffee and cake, visited for some time, and ended up gifting me a bottle of wine to carry home to my husband in Alaska.

So this was the end of my Ruta de la Lana. I was very disappointed, but my sciatica was mostly my own fault and a sobering learning experience.

Instead of walking another week to Burgos, I ended up doing a very interesting road trip of central Spain, something I had never done. It was so odd to cover some of the areas I had previously walked, while on the Camino de Madrid, and the Via de la Plata, from the perspective of a vehicle.

Well, every time I walk a camino, I conclude it is the best one I have walked. This is certainly true of the Lana. I loved the scarcity of pilgrims, the hospitality of those along the way, the beauty and variety of the countryside, the great cities of Cuenca and Siguenza, the depopulated villages along the way with their huge old churches, castles, city walls, and their one small village bar (if one was lucky). Federico of Alicante, Antonio of Alatoz, and Paulino of Villaconejos texted me regularly, curious about my progress, and checking on me. I enjoyed my solitary days and also loved having the company for a week of a pilgrim friend from the past. It was cold. My Barcelona friend found it even colder, and concluded he would never again walk a winter camino. There were fewer pandemic changes or challenges than I anticipated; I felt much safer in Spain than in the U.S.

If the pandemic allows, I hope to return to finish the Ruta de la Lana in the spring, starting in Siguenza as that will be reachable by train, and give me a chance to walk the 32 km path from Siguenza to Atienza, instead of the highway. I suspect the week remaining on the Ruta de la Lana will be even more beautiful. And once in Burgos, I’d like to find a path to reach the Camino Olvidado, somewhere southwest of Bilbao, and continue on to Ponferrada and then on to the Camino Invierno, two caminos I have yet to walk. We will see.

Loving your report, @Sitkapilgrim, and I see the second installment has just been posted! I hope to walk the Lana in April-May. I was interested to see that you said the “camino feeling” started in Villena, because I’ve been considering starting in Villajoyosa rather than in Alicante. The route is marked, goes through Relleu, Ibi, and Onil, and joins up with the Lana in Villena. @alansykes describes the alternative as off-road, mountainous and quite beautiful. Your post convinces me that it’s the right choice.

I’ve walked the Levante, too, so I also look forward to some return visits. I liked both Alpera and Almansa quite a bit.

I’ll be back after reading your second thread, thank you so much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, agreed.
Even though I loved every day, even the first, I would agree that starting further north in a mountainous area, without the more built up areas of the first 3-4 days, would be more interesting. I just kept feeling that each day was more beautiful than the last, which made it even more disappointing that I was unable to get beyond Atienza,

Villajoyosa as a starting point looks very tempting. Here are three websites that might be useful if you decide on that (as we well might).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you @Sitkapilgrim! Spending some days with a missionary sounds 'interesting!'
And sciatica is literally a pain. So sorry!
Sending best wishes for a successful continuation.
I’d like to find a path to reach the Camino Olvidad
My OSMand map shows the Ruta de Carlos V going North from Burgos to intersect the Viejo a bit South of Quintana de Valdevielso. From there on the Viejo it's 5 days to Aguilar de Campoo. That link takes you to our planning thread for the Viejo from last year. It looks wonderful!

Thank you @Sitkapilgrim! Spending some days with a missionary sounds 'interesting!'
And sciatica is literally a pain. So sorry!
Sending best wishes for a successful continuation.

My OSMand map shows the Ruta de Carlos V going North from Burgos to intersect the Viejo a bit South of Quintana de Valdevielso. From there on the Viejo it's 5 days to Aguilar de Campoo. That link takes you to our planning thread for the Viejo from last year. It looks wonderful!
There is also the Castellano-Lebaniego, which starts from Fromista and also intersects the Olvidado at Aguilar de Campoo.

There is also the Castellano-Lebaniego, which starts from Fromista and also intersects the Olvidado at Aguilar de Campoo.
Or the Vadiniense from Mansilla de las Mulas, intersecting the Olvidado at Cistierna. And of course the San Salvador from Leon intersecting at La Robla. There are definitely options!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the little bar opposite, Bar Los Cipreses, and have a cafe con leche and a pincha de tortilla de patatas. Stopping in that bar made me feel like I had started my camino.

When leaving Alicante, that bar feels like a human outpost before entering the barren lands. I like it very much, and I agree that it gives you the feeling of having started a camino, especially the first day when one is eager to start walking!

a route up to the ridge, and then told me to head down to the railway tracks on the other side where I would pick up my camino.

Hm, the railway tracks are off camino so it was definitely a detour. Did you push through the rugged terrain up the hill (off-road) that starts after the hospital in Elda? When you reach the road at the ridge, you just turn left and leave the road to the right. I have lost the arrows here myself: only thanks to repeated walk-throughs in Elda, I have managed to find my way through the area.

at Campillo de Altobuey, but again, my companion wanted more comfort, so we ended up staying in a holiday bungalow, 25 E each

Those are great news: 25 euros seems like a nice price. If it is possible to avoid the rather uncomfortable sports hall I will definitley stay in the bungalow in the future!

I enjoy reading your account, very informative indeed!

I stayed at the Hostal El Cazador, 21 E for a single room (including breakfast) which was fine. A fellow pilgrim walker knocked on my door late at night, an elderly Colombian/Spanish missionary who was lonely walking the Levante, and I learned the pilgrim price is quite variable at the Hostal El Cazador.
Wondering whether the bar/restaurante/pensión Stop was closed. It is in town rather than on the outskirts like El Cazador. I didn’t stay there, but we did eat there and I have very fond meories of grandparents, parents, and kids all sharing the space, cooking, working together, doing homework, watching the news.

BTW, my two French friends and I were the very first people to sleep in Alpera’s albergue. It was very nice, and I hope they re-open soon!

Wondering whether the bar/restaurante/pensión Stop was closed. It is in town rather than on the outskirts like El Cazador. I didn’t stay there, but we did eat there and I have very fond meories of grandparents, parents, and kids all sharing the space, cooking, working together, doing homework, watching the news.

I have stayed at both, and the Stop is the one I would recommend too. I agree with your description of the "casero" feeling in Stop. El Cazador is larger (I think) and therefore more of your run-of-the-mill hostal.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Part 2 is just as enthralling as Part 1. But I am so sorry to hear about the sad ending. How is the treatment for your sciatica going? I also came home from Camino 2021 with an injury that was at first thought to involve the sciatic nerve, but thankfully did not. The muscle still gives me pain, despite the passing of more than three months and many PT sessions. But hopefully recovery for spring 2022 is possible, and I wish the same for you!

The fact that a peregrina from Alaska so often felt cold on the Lana is definitely a cautionary tale for those of us from warmer climates!

Thank you so much for this thread, @Sitkapilgrim. You gave us a perfect combination of nuts and bolts interspersed with wonderful little human experience snippets. It’s clear that the human warmth more than compensated for what you suffered in climate challenges.

In fact, your account is so special that I think I will move it to a new thread rather than leaving it buried in here. :)

As someone who also loves walking alone, your account has made me so glad that my next camino will be the Lana — postponed from 2020, but fingers crossed for 2022!

Several things: First - the cold. My part of Alaska is more temperate than most of the midwest of the U.S. I like to walk in cool and even cold weather; what is hard is trying to stay warm once reaching the day's destination. I found that more challenging than I anticipated. So next time - a warmer sleeping bag, and an extra layer of merino wool I think. Being endlessly chilled is hard.

Second - I remember liking the Stop Bar in Alpera when I walked the Levante years ago. But this time, no one answered either phone number, and the bar was closed both the afternoon I arrived in Alpera, and the next morning. So I don't know how functional Hostal Stop is right now. The son of the woman who runs Hostal El Cazador in Alpera (at least I think that is their relationship) is knowledgeable about caminos and has done work painting arrows. So though it looks impersonal, I found it camino friendly.

Third - On leaving Petrer/Elda - After crossing the correct bridge, and taking a narrow path up to the top of the ridge, I descended first to the left towards the highway, then took a sharp right heading towards the railroad tracks, going by several homes surrounded by walls, and with active guard dogs, then down to the edge of some fields, then through thick tall swampy type vegetation blocking all views of my railroad, then a sharp left and up to the railroad track . I never got very close to the CV-833 highway. Reviewing the online detailed map, I was not on the camino. But I am certain that the path parallel to the railroad tracks had camino signage. And I met a Spaniard walking along on that section, who had done many caminos in Spain, who confirmed I was on the correct path. So perhaps there are several paths with camino signage which end up in Sax. Actually I'm not sure of any of this..... I didn't see a hospital in Elda, as I was coming from Petrer. I didn't leave a road to the right at the top of the ridge, as my path (which I wouldn't really call a road) turned left. There was no road to the right. I just followed, roughly, the instructions of the local walker which were "take this trail to the top of the ridge, look for the railroad in the valley, angle down that way and you will find your camino along the railroad tracks". It worked, and it had camino signage on the path next to the railroad.

Fourth - Thanks for the ideas for possible routes from Burgos to the Camino Olvidado.

And I am getting better with Physical Therapy. Thank you. Let me tell you - going from averaging 25 km/day to needing wheelchair assistance at multiple airports flying home was a wake-up call. If I had done my stretching exercises, and not pushed myself so hard to keep up with my younger walking companion, I probably would have been able to go on to Burgos. It isn't just newbies who make mistakes walking!

Fourth - Thanks for the ideas for possible routes from Burgos to the Camino Olvidado.
I was reminded of the current thread on continuity and how that issue factors in here.

For the unbroken, continuous walking option, @VN and @dick bird have given you great suggestions. But that means that you would start the Olvidado in the middle. If you do take one of these options, I highly recommend not joining the Olvidado anywhere south of Aguilar. Too much mountain beauty from there onwards.

Another option to consider (and this is technically within the letter of what you wrote, though probably not its intended meaning) is to take a bus or train from Burgos to Bilbao and start the Olvidado in Bilbao, its traditional starting point. It’s about a week from Bilbao to Aguilar, not much further than some of the other options to get you near or into Aguilar, and shorter than the Burgos-Mansilla-Cistierna option. The week from Bilbao to Aguilar is not the spectacular mountainous bit, but it has a lot of camino beauty (but also, in the spirit of full disclosure, some long sections on paved bidegorris on the day out of Bilbao) and some very beautiful Romanesque churches if you are into that sort of thing.

Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm about to head back to Spain to continue Ruta de la Lana, and appreciate the ideas above on how to connect the end of the Ruta de la Lana at Burgos with the Camino Olvidado. My currents thoughts are to walk the Camino Frances from Burgos to Boadilla del camino (or to Fromista), then turn north following the Canal de Castilla (also known as the GR 89 or the Camino Lebaniego Castellano) to Alar del Rey. This would be 3 stages. It will be so weird to be with lots of pilgrims after years of solitary walks! From Alar del Rey, I will either continue straight north 20 km to Aguilar de Campoo where I join the Camino Olvidado or follow the Lebaniego Castellano 2 more stages to Cervera de Pisuerga, where I would join the Camino Olvidado 1 stage further along than Aguilar de Campoo.

I have the Spanish guide to the Lebaniego Castellano with lovely maps and lists of accomodations, etc, and have found the wikilocs tracks. My question to all of you - does anyone have recommendations on specific accommodations along this small section of the Lebaniego Castellano? So at Osorno la Mayor, Herrera de Pisuerga or Alar del Rey? I haven't found any detailed blogs on this part of the CLC.

I looked at other suggested possibilities: the Ruta de Carlos V straight north of Burgos, and the Camino de los Merindades or del Valle de Mena - but have found more information on the CLC and am looking for a relatively easy route. I'm sure it will be solitary enough.

From Alar del Rey, I will either continue straight north 20 km to Aguilar de Campoo where I join the Camino Olvidado or follow the Lebaniego Castellano 2 more stages to Cervera de Pisuerga, where I would join the Camino Olvidado 1 stage further along than Aguilar de Campoo.
Oooh, @Sitkapilgrim, sending many cyber wishes for a buen camino.

I don’t know any of the stages on the Lebaniego Castellano, and I don’t know how enamored you are of ancient things, but I can add a plug for the Aguilar-Cervera stage.

1. In Aguilar, if you go to the priest’s house, you can get the key to the romanesque church up on a hill about a 10-15 minute walk from downtown and see the beautiful interior (you also get the keys to turn on the electricity). The capital of the slaughter of the Innocents is a gem. Opening up a 12th century church, and sitting inside all alone in total silence was one of the highlights of my Olvidado. Aguilar has a nice downtown and a romanesque center that I have never been able to get into. And if you’re into splurges, the hotel in the convent on the way out of town looks quite nice (I think @SabineP has stayed there).

2. Between Aguilar and Cervera, there are two very interesting ancient remains — some anthropomorphic tombs outside the first town after the reservoir, and a rock chapel the Ermita Rupestre San Vicente, a km or two before Cervera.

3. A lot of the walk between Aguilar and Cervera is along the river and it is very pleasant.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much for your detailed descriptions. Very evocative!
Here is my continuation of my Ruta de la Lana walk, continued April 4th -12th 2022, which I am contributing in the hopes that specific recent information will help future pilgrims.

On my return to Spain, I took the train to SIguenza, a convenient spot to continue my interrupted fall walk from Alicante to Atienza. Again I stayed at the Albergue Privato/ Hostal Ciudad del Doncel where I had stayed in December. In fact I stayed 2 nights, to begin my recovery from 10 hours of jet lag, and to explore the lovely town of Siguenza, well worth a day. The hostal was hosting a community gathering in the large backyard Sunday afternoon with live music, singing and food, which was great fun to watch.

Repeat of Stage 23 -Siguenza to Santamera, 16.5 km. Instead of walking the 32 km stage to Atienza, as I had done in December, I walked only 16.5 km to the village of Santamera, a tiny but very scenic spot at the junction of several canyons. I had previously contacted the Centro Social in this village of 10 people asking about any possible refugio for pilgrims, and had received a reply offering me space on a floor. It turned out to the the floor of a large kitchen of a loosely organized commune of sorts, run by a hospitable young man who gave me a great mattress for the kitchen floor, and treated me as his guest. It was an unusual start of a camino, and much appreciated, as I was wary of long distance stages, worrying about the sciatica which had put a premature end to my December walk. Whether this offer of floor space could be offered often to pilgrims is questionable, but they were kind to me. Pilgrims should not expect it, but could inquire days in advance by contacting the Centro Social by Whatsapp. They should also bring a food contribution, as there is no place to buy food in Santamera, and the Centro Social is only open one afternoon a week in this tiny village. Conversation was interesting. Madrilenos were moving in to buy summer homes, swelling the weekend summer population to 30 people, and changing the dynamics of village politics. This was controversial.

Stage 24 - Santamera to Atienza, 16 km. I was up early and left before my hosts were up, climbing out of the canyon of Santamera, and on over rolling hills, covered with alternating woods and greening fields of wheat. There were dozens of roe deer, bounding away into the woods whenever they saw me. And if I couldn't see them, I could hear their barking/braying. Walking through the first village of Riofrio del Llana, the centro social bar was not yet open at 10am, but a woman I met on the street, after failing to rouse the bartender from sleep, called a neighbor who invited me into her home for coffee and cakes and treats. Such hospitality! Everyone seemed to know that I had just spent the night in Santamera. And then on to Atienza where I again stayed at the Hostal Santa Cristo. A single room was 20 euros. It was delightful visiting again with the owner who had treated me so well in December when I could barely hobble in with my sciatica. The menu del dia in the restaurant below was fine.

Stage 25 - Atienza to Miedes de Atienza, 17 km. The bar below was open at 7:30, so I had a good coffee and toast before starting out. It was a misty morning, dense enough that I missed the correct path after crossing a small asphalt road a couple km out of town, and needed to use wikilocs and backtrack 10 minutes to find the correct path. The walk through pine forests was fine, and then down into the valley of fields and into the village of Romanillos de Atienza, where I was treated to coffee in the one open bar. Again, the hospitality of folks along the Ruta de la Lana was astonishing. Maybe my Spanish is finally improving to the point where I can have more engaging conversations with locals. Then, a leisurely walk along to Miedes de Atienza. I was there early enough for lunch in the bar, where I was served what the regulars were being served, no choice, and it was delicious. Then I connected on the phone with Stefano, who manages the municipal albergue (5 euros), located in the old school building across the side street from the church, on the camino route through the village. He was expecting me as I had called two days previously to inquire. This is one of the greatest albergues I have ever stayed in: many bunk beds (room for 11, some triple high bunks), clean sheets and pillowcases, blankets, one space heater, tables and chairs, a complete kitchen, well stocked, with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, even clear dish towels, great hot shower and all spotlessly clear. What more could a pilgrim want? The challenge in this village is getting access to the store, but when the bar opened for the evening at 8:30, the owner opened her store next door and made sure I made good choices.

Stage 26 - Miedes de Atienza to Retortillo de Soria, 6.4 km. Still super aware that I didn't want my sciatica to reactivate, I chose a tiny stage rather than walking the 31 km to Fresno de Caracena. The option of a 22.4 km to Caracena was not possible as Maria's albergue there was closed. This is a lovely rocky goat path climb up to the Alto de La Carrascosa at 1380 meters, where you leave the provincia of Guadalajara and enter the provincia of Soria, and then a very steep downhill to the town on Retortillo de Soria. I must have missed a key arrow on this downhill portion as I went down very steeply, zigzagging back and forth more steeply than was probably necessary, to get to the road below. Retortillo de Soria has no tienda, and the only bar/restaurant is La Muralla Hostal, which you can access if you stay at their hostal or their Retorillo Albergue, (15 euros) which I did. Aurora buzzed me in to the albergue, as she was out of town when I arrived, and we arranged I would eat supper at her hostal restaurant. She explained that for just one person in the albergue, she would not be able to turn on the heat, but there were blankets. It is a fine modern albergue and Aurora runs her business competently, but I much preferred the municipal albergue of Miedes de Atienza which was homey, completely supplied, and understood the needs of pilgrims. Aurora did fix me a cafe con leche to go for the next morning, after providing me with a fine dinner, so I was set.

Stage 27 - Retortillo de Sora to Fresno de Caracena 24 km and ride on to San Estaban, another 20 km

Now this was an interesting day. The first 7 km to Tarancuena was by road, though I could have walked the prettier and longer GR. The camino turns right sharply upon approaching Tarancuena, which I mention because I missed it, and needed help from a local man to find it. He was a former pilgrim and fun to chat with. Tarancuena no longer has a bar. Then the exquisitely beautiful walk through the gorge, with multiple stream crossing requiring shoe changes, as the water was much higher than the stepping stones. It was cold and windy enough to make the walk challenging, but oh, so beautiful. And it is a magical moment when you look up and see the Romanesque church at the top of the cliffs on the left, and wonder if you will be scaling the cliffs to reach it. The village of Caracena has much to see, including an 11th century church porticada with fine weathered carvings, and a wonderful bar run by Maria whose family manages the albergue. This was the albergue that I knew was closed, as I had called her the day before. I didn't inquire as to why it was closed, but think it was just a temporary closure. After Maria fixed me a simple meal, we visited. I told her that I had been unable to contact anyone in Fresno de Caracena at the ayuntamiento about accommodation. She had no information about Fresno de Caracena, but told me if I had problems, that I should call her and she would have her husband or son drive me on to San Esteban. So on I walked gently downhill the 8 km to Fresno de Caracena, waiting at one point for a huge herd of sheep to cross the road. And in Fresno, nothing was open in the late afternoon. I found a family working in their garden on a side street and stopped to inquire about a place to sleep. Eventually two other neighborhood women joined our conversation, one of whom was the mayor's wife. And the outcome was that there was no longer any place for a pilgrim to sleep in their village Of course there is Ino hostal or albergue, but also no refugio, no couch in the storeroom of the ayuntamiento, and no floor space either. Simply put, there is nothing for a pilgrim in this village of 40 mostly elderly people. And the mayor's wife added that I should not even think about sleeping outside the church. Actually I wasn't, as temperatures at night were around freezing. They didn't think I should walk on to Ines, as they didn't think Ines offered much, and walking the trail there so late in the day they thought a bad idea. They suggested I could walk 5 km further along the asphalt road to a village, off-camino, which also had about 40 mostly elderly people, and no definite accommodation of any sort. I suggested that then I would be stuck there with not options instead of in Fresno with no options, and they agreed. And of course, there are no taxis or buses. Ultimately one of the women offered her son, who had just arrived for a weekend visit from Barcelona, and he graciously drove me 20 km on to San Estaban. I was very grateful.

I had previously emailed the Hostal Moreno in San Estaban about staying there, and had not received a response. Once I was dropped off in San Estaban I understood why: Hostal Moreno was closed for renovations. I walked by the polideportivo, which reportedly provided mats for pilgrims, but the only folks there were youngsters playing soccer, so on I walked looking for a hostal or hotel. I knew there was a hotel at 70 euros for a room, and at that point, was willing to pay anything for a bed. But the tourist information office was open, and very helpful, getting me a room at Hotel Rural El Alquerque (30 euros including breakfast) (620.94.15.09) which I would recommend to all. It is centrally located, on a small plaza, and I had a fine room, and a nearby sitting room/kitchen where breakfast was self-service in the morning at any hour. The cheaper rooms like mine were on the floor just above the bar, and could be noisy, but I heard nothing, being tired from a long, beautiful but fretful day. I did hear and see the marching band in the square just out my window, practicing for Easter celebrations, and loved it. There was a nearby supermarket, and fruteria, and it is only a block from the camino, so great all round.
( I'm thinking I'm probably maxing out on words, so will be continued on next entry.)

Here is my continuation of my Ruta de la Lana walk, continued April 4th -12th 2022, which I am contributing in the hopes that specific recent information will help future pilgrims.

On my return to Spain, I took the train to SIguenza, a convenient spot to continue my interrupted fall walk from Alicante to Atienza. Again I stayed at the Albergue Privato/ Hostal Ciudad del Doncel where I had stayed in December. In fact I stayed 2 nights, to begin my recovery from 10 hours of jet lag, and to explore the lovely town of Siguenza, well worth a day. The hostal was hosting a community gathering in the large backyard Sunday afternoon with live music, singing and food, which was great fun to watch.

Repeat of Stage 23 -Siguenza to Santamera, 16.5 km. Instead of walking the 32 km stage to Atienza, as I had done in December, I walked only 16.5 km to the village of Santamera, a tiny but very scenic spot at the junction of several canyons. I had previously contacted the Centro Social in this village of 10 people asking about any possible refugio for pilgrims, and had received a reply offering me space on a floor. It turned out to the the floor of a large kitchen of a loosely organized commune of sorts, run by a hospitable young man who gave me a great mattress for the kitchen floor, and treated me as his guest. It was an unusual start of a camino, and much appreciated, as I was wary of long distance stages, worrying about the sciatica which had put a premature end to my December walk. Whether this offer of floor space could be offered often to pilgrims is questionable, but they were kind to me. Pilgrims should not expect it, but could inquire days in advance by contacting the Centro Social by Whatsapp. They should also bring a food contribution, as there is no place to buy food in Santamera, and the Centro Social is only open one afternoon a week in this tiny village. Conversation was interesting. Madrilenos were moving in to buy summer homes, swelling the weekend summer population to 30 people, and changing the dynamics of village politics. This was controversial.

Stage 24 - Santamera to Atienza, 16 km. I was up early and left before my hosts were up, climbing out of the canyon of Santamera, and on over rolling hills, covered with alternating woods and greening fields of wheat. There were dozens of roe deer, bounding away into the woods whenever they saw me. And if I couldn't see them, I could hear their barking/braying. Walking through the first village of Riofrio del Llana, the centro social bar was not yet open at 10am, but a woman I met on the street, after failing to rouse the bartender from sleep, called a neighbor who invited me into her home for coffee and cakes and treats. Such hospitality! Everyone seemed to know that I had just spent the night in Santamera. And then on to Atienza where I again stayed at the Hostal Santa Cristo. A single room was 20 euros. It was delightful visiting again with the owner who had treated me so well in December when I could barely hobble in with my sciatica. The menu del dia in the restaurant below was fine.

Stage 25 - Atienza to Miedes de Atienza, 17 km. The bar below was open at 7:30, so I had a good coffee and toast before starting out. It was a misty morning, dense enough that I missed the correct path after crossing a small asphalt road a couple km out of town, and needed to use wikilocs and backtrack 10 minutes to find the correct path. The walk through pine forests was fine, and then down into the valley of fields and into the village of Romanillos de Atienza, where I was treated to coffee in the one open bar. Again, the hospitality of folks along the Ruta de la Lana was astonishing. Maybe my Spanish is finally improving to the point where I can have more engaging conversations with locals. Then, a leisurely walk along to Miedes de Atienza. I was there early enough for lunch in the bar, where I was served what the regulars were being served, no choice, and it was delicious. Then I connected on the phone with Stefano, who manages the municipal albergue (5 euros), located in the old school building across the side street from the church, on the camino route through the village. He was expecting me as I had called two days previously to inquire. This is one of the greatest albergues I have ever stayed in: many bunk beds (room for 11, some triple high bunks), clean sheets and pillowcases, blankets, one space heater, tables and chairs, a complete kitchen, well stocked, with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, even clear dish towels, great hot shower and all spotlessly clear. What more could a pilgrim want? The challenge in this village is getting access to the store, but when the bar opened for the evening at 8:30, the owner opened her store next door and made sure I made good choices.

Stage 26 - Miedes de Atienza to Retortillo de Soria, 6.4 km. Still super aware that I didn't want my sciatica to reactivate, I chose a tiny stage rather than walking the 31 km to Fresno de Caracena. The option of a 22.4 km to Caracena was not possible as Maria's albergue there was closed. This is a lovely rocky goat path climb up to the Alto de La Carrascosa at 1380 meters, where you leave the provincia of Guadalajara and enter the provincia of Soria, and then a very steep downhill to the town on Retortillo de Soria. I must have missed a key arrow on this downhill portion as I went down very steeply, zigzagging back and forth more steeply than was probably necessary, to get to the road below. Retortillo de Soria has no tienda, and the only bar/restaurant is La Muralla Hostal, which you can access if you stay at their hostal or their Retorillo Albergue, (15 euros) which I did. Aurora buzzed me in to the albergue, as she was out of town when I arrived, and we arranged I would eat supper at her hostal restaurant. She explained that for just one person in the albergue, she would not be able to turn on the heat, but there were blankets. It is a fine modern albergue and Aurora runs her business competently, but I much preferred the municipal albergue of Miedes de Atienza which was homey, completely supplied, and understood the needs of pilgrims. Aurora did fix me a cafe con leche to go for the next morning, after providing me with a fine dinner, so I was set.

Stage 27 - Retortillo de Sora to Fresno de Caracena 24 km and ride on to San Estaban, another 20 km
Now this was an interesting day. The first 7 km to Tarancuena was by road, though I could have walked the prettier and longer GR. The camino turns right sharply upon approaching Tarancuena, which I mention because I missed it, and needed help from a local man to find it. He was a former pilgrim and fun to chat with. Tarancuena no longer has a bar. Then the exquisitely beautiful walk through the gorge, with multiple stream crossing requiring shoe changes, as the water was much higher than the stepping stones. It was cold and windy enough to make the walk challenging, but oh, so beautiful. And it is a magical moment when you look up and see the Romanesque church at the top of the cliffs on the left, and wonder if you will be scaling the cliffs to reach it. The village of Caracena has much to see, including an 11th century church porticada with fine weathered carvings, and a wonderful bar run by Maria whose family manages the albergue. This was the albergue that I knew was closed, as I had called her the day before. I didn't inquire as to why it was closed, but think it was just a temporary closure. After Maria fixed me a simple meal, we visited. I told her that I had been unable to contact anyone in Fresno de Caracena at the ayuntamiento about accommodation. She had no information about Fresno de Caracena, but told me if I had problems, that I should call her and she would have her husband or son drive me on to San Esteban. So on I walked gently downhill the 8 km to Fresno de Caracena, waiting at one point for a huge herd of sheep to cross the road. And in Fresno, nothing was open in the late afternoon. I found a family working in their garden on a side street and stopped to inquire about a place to sleep. Eventually two other neighborhood women joined our conversation, one of whom was the mayor's wife. And the outcome was that there was no longer any place for a pilgrim to sleep in their village Of course there is Ino hostal or albergue, but also no refugio, no couch in the storeroom of the ayuntamiento, and no floor space either. Simply put, there is nothing for a pilgrim in this village of 40 mostly elderly people. And the mayor's wife added that I should not even think about sleeping outside the church. Actually I wasn't, as temperatures at night were around freezing. They didn't think I should walk on to Ines, as they didn't think Ines offered much, and walking the trail there so late in the day they thought a bad idea. They suggested I could walk 5 km further along the asphalt road to a village, off-camino, which also had about 40 mostly elderly people, and no definite accommodation of any sort. I suggested that then I would be stuck there with not options instead of in Fresno with no options, and they agreed. And of course, there are no taxis or buses. Ultimately one of the women offered her son, who had just arrived for a weekend visit from Barcelona, and he graciously drove me 20 km on to San Estaban. I was very grateful.

I had previously emailed the Hostal Moreno in San Estaban about staying there, and had not received a response. Once I was dropped off in San Estaban I understood why: Hostal Moreno was closed for renovations. I walked by the polideportivo, which reportedly provided mats for pilgrims, but the only folks there were youngsters playing soccer, so on I walked looking for a hostal or hotel. I knew there was a hotel at 70 euros for a room, and at that point, was willing to pay anything for a bed. But the tourist information office was open, and very helpful, getting me a room at Hotel Rural El Alquerque (30 euros including breakfast) (620.94.15.09) which I would recommend to all. It is centrally located, on a small plaza, and I had a fine room, and a nearby sitting room/kitchen where breakfast was self-service in the morning at any hour. The cheaper rooms like mine were on the floor just above the bar, and could be noisy, but I heard nothing, being tired from a long, beautiful but fretful day. I did hear and see the marching band in the square just out my window, practicing for Easter celebrations, and loved it. There was a nearby supermarket, and fruteria, and it is only a block from the camino, so great all round.
( I'm thinking I'm probably maxing out on words, so will be continued on next entry.)
So continuing:

Stage 28 - San Esteban de Gormaz to Quintanarraya, 32 km.
I visited the Church of San Miguel in the morning on my way out of town - very impressive, and then walked across undulating hills and fields for 23 km until reaching Alcubilla de Avellaneda where I found my first open bar of the day. I was ready to stop for coffee and tortilla. And then up a hill, along a wide stoney path in the encina forests with views of snowy mountains to the north and northwest, and down into the village of Quintanarraya. This village has a simple albergue, La Casa del Peregrino (5 euros) with 5 widely spaced beds, heat and good shower. The key is kept by the mayor, and when he is out of town, his wife has the key and lives nearby. There is no bar or tienda, but I knew that and had brought food.

Stage 29 - Quintanarraya to Santo Domingo de Silos, 24.3 km.
This was a day of a fair amount of pavement. Perhaps I overlooked more scenic options early in the day. The first town at 6.4 km had several open bars, one with great food, and a supermarket not yet open.
When I reached the huge picnic area of Pinarejos, with ermita and fountain, I found a trail, initially poorly marked, which was truly beautiful, and led to the village of Mamolar with a bar in the centro social which had cold drinks and potato chips. No coffee. No real food. But as it was a hot day, a coke and chips were fine. From Mamolar, there is an exceptionally stoney historical road/path around a mountain and down the other side to a impressive view of Santo Domingo de Silos and then a path steeply down into town. I had called the monastery the day previously and they were expecting me around 5 pm. That left several hours to visit the cloisters (free for pilgrims) and explore the town, full of Spanish tourists, until that time. Warning: the phone at the monastery is only answered when the monks are available, and their days are quite structured, so they are often not available to answer the phone. So plan ahead. The cloister museum staff do not notify the monks that you have arrived. At 5 pm, a monk of the Monasterio Benedictino was available, and took me to their Albergue de Peregrinos (donativo) just opposite the monastery gates. It is very complete, with 2 bunk beds, washer, dryer, heat, hot shower, refrigerator and microwave. The welcome is warm, and a good opportunity for a religious themed conversation, if so inclined. The monk did note that with the war in Ukraine, energy costs were rising, and suggested that be taken into account when making a donativo. A very small store opens in the evening several blocks away, and of course there is an abundance of bars and restaurants. Evening vespers for me was very special. I had detoured to Santo Domingo de Silos on my first camino in 2008 to spend 2 nights there, to listen to a full cycle of sung liturgies, and appreciated a second opportunity to attend.

Stage 30 - Santo Domingo de Silos to Mecerreyes, 24 km.
After morning lauds, where the four of us attending were invited to sit in the choir area with the monks, I walked stoney steep paths most of the day, ending with 7 km of highway against cold strong headwinds, to the village of Mecerreyes. The town of Covarrubias, as full of Spanish tourists as Santo Domingo de Silos, was a good place for a coffee and tortilla, 7 km before Mecerreyes. I liked the Albergue municipal La Corneja, (5 euros) in Mecerreyes It is a 3 story house with multiple beds in 3 bedrooms, and has a full kitchen, hot showers, and heat. It has interesting architectural features including a huge enclosed fireplace/chimney which is the home of birds, (?swallows) which were very noisy in the late evening. I was the first pilgrim staying there in weeks. The bar just beyond, which has the albergue key, offered to cook me an evening meal whenever I wished, and it was more than adequate. As there is no tienda, her offer was perfect. The woman running the bar did try very hard to dissuade me from walking the next stage as she said it was too long and too muddy. She suggested the bus leaving at 9:20 am. There is one odd thing about this albergue. Through the night, the hall lights, activated by motion detectors, go on and off, so choose your bedroom carefully if you plan to leave the door open for warmth or coolness. It was not clear to me that anything specific was setting them off.

Stage 31 - Mecerreyes to Burgos, 35.5 km.
Despite the length, this was not a hard stage, but it was interesting. There was a bar with food at Revillarruz, at 19.6 km, which was welcome. The bar in Huerta de Rey was closed that day. There were several spots whether the trail markings were challenging, but they are well explained in the paper guidebook from the Alicante based Amigo Association. They are also well illustrated in Sara Dhooma's you tube video of this stage. (She took a wrong turn to the right following the Camino del Cid signage, and had to backtrack. Actually without reviewing her video the night before, I might have done the same.) There is also a short section of bushwhacking through low thorny trees and bushes, where I found no arrow guidance, and where there certainly was no trail, but maybe I missed something. As I knew what direction to head, this was just a bit of fun, rather than worrisome. This was just before Revillarruz. After Revillarruz, the last 15 km or so is on a cycling/walking track on an old railroad bed, the Camino Verde, and is smooth fast walking. There is a shortcut avoiding a long curve to the right where you follow a path/farm road left down across a valley, cross a stream next to an old building in ruins, and head up the other side of the valley to rejoin the railroad bed track. It is a fairly obvious shortcut. Just after, is the railroad tunnel; I was glad I had a headlamp to avoid the water puddles in the middle. And on into Burgos and the end of the Ruta de la Lana.

I then turned west and walked the camino frances, repeating my 2008 walk, though it seemed completely different.

Of all the caminos I have walked, my favorite Spanish camino is still the Ruta de la Lana. I loved the variety of scenery, the wildness of some sections, the Romanesque churches, the almost deserted villages with their huge churches and castles, and the challenges of a solitary walk with so few pilgrims. My final tally: 2 pilgrims seen between Alicante and Burgos, one for one night, one for three nights. (This is not counting the pilgrim friend who came to join me for a week in November.) I loved the hospitality along the way, typical of the Spanish caminos less traveled. I liked the challenge of figuring out accommodation days in advance by phone, and the challenge of finding a coffee, bar food and grocery stores. I like caminos where I am challenging to improve my Spanish, as what else is there to speak? I recognize, this type of camino is not for all, but it may always remain my favorite.........until I find another favorite.

Not sure how I missed this when you posted it, I think I was caught up worrying about your bout with covid and whether you would get on the plane! Hoping that all worked out.
Thanks for all these great updates!

The option of a 22.4 km to Caracena was not possible as Maria's albergue there was closed.
AHH, you answered my question a few paragraphs further down. Hoping this is not permanent!
8 km to Fresno de Caracena, … And the outcome was that there was no longer any place for a pilgrim to sleep in their village

They didn't think I should walk on to Ines, as they didn't think Ines offered much, and walking the trail there so late in the day they thought a bad idea.

Not good news for Lana pilgrims if the Caracena donativo is closed! the Cuenca amigos still list both Fresno de Caracena and Inés as having acogida municipal, so things need some updating.

Am I right, @Sitkapilgrim that there is now nothing between Retortillo and San Esteban?

I am hoping to walk in September and will report back if I am lucky enough to get to Spain for a camino! Thank you so much for all your updates and for sharing your personal experiences. I can see why this camino has such a special place in your heart. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not sure how I missed this when you posted it, I think I was caught up worrying about your bout with covid and whether you would get on the plane! Hoping that all worked out.
Thanks for all these great updates!

AHH, you answered my question a few paragraphs further down. Hoping this is not permanent!

Not good news for Lana pilgrims if the Caracena donativo is closed! the Cuenca amigos still list both Fresno de Caracena and Inés as having acogida municipal, so things need some updating.

Am I right, @Sitkapilgrim that there is now nothing between Retortillo and San Esteban?

I am hoping to walk in September and will report back if I am lucky enough to get to Spain for a camino! Thank you so much for all your updates and for sharing your personal experiences. I can see why this camino has such a special place in your heart. Buen camino, Laurie
I suspect there are or will be options between Retortillo de Soria and San Esteban de Gomez, a distance of 44.6 km. But I would advise pilgrims to call ahead persistently. Tarancuena, Ines and Olmillos are listed in the Alicante guide as having possible acogida, probably something very simple, like a floor. I did not ask in Tarancuena as it is only 7.8 km from Retortillo de Soria. I often found folks in one village did not know whether the next village offered pilgrim shelter, so I would not conclude that Ines has nothing just because the folks in Fresno de Caracena were not aware of shelter there. And my sense talking to Maria of Caracena was that her family's albergue was closed temporarily. And things can change in Fresno de Caracena, though the mayor's wife was of the opinion that the Alicante guide should be rewritten to reflect that currently there is no acogida in Fresno de Caracena. All it takes in a small village is for one person to be willing to open a building and show a pilgrim a floor. The mayor's wife told me there used to be a man in Fresno de Caracena who helped pilgrims; no longer.
And of course contacting the pilgrim associations of the Lana camino could be helpful. I had the number for that association for the province of Guadalajara but not of Soria.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back