• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Stages on the Lana, 2023

peregrina2000

Staff member
A Camino friend just asked me about stages and accommodation on the Lana, which I walked last year. I realized I hadn’t posted a day-by-day, just a general post with some overall impressions. So here’s the day-by-day. I also recorded the tracks on wikiloc, same username. I did not stay in many albergues on this camino, though there is a good offering of albergues. I also took a number of detours to visit sites off-camino - Roman ruins, visigothic churches, gorges, restored Baroque monasteries, etc. I know many people just like to stay on the camino, but for me the chance to visit these places is just too big of a temptation!

Day 1 - arrived in Alicante by noon on a flight from Madrid. With early morning arrival on most flights from the US, it’s easy to get to just about any large city in Spain soon after you arrive. I had plenty of time to do all the pre-walking errands — phone, post office, food, and still had the late afternoon for a walk up to the castle with its great view over the endless blue ocean and the long strip of development on the Alicante coast. Then CRASH in the pensión for a good sleep.

Day 2 - Villajoyosa to Relleu (20 km, 500m). With my camino buddy Alun, we took a commuter train to Villajoyosa to start the trek up to Relleu. (This is the mountain alternative, which avoids the first few days of asphalt and suburban development). Casa de los Indianos, very nice but pricey.

Day 3 - Relleu to Torremanzanas (20 km, 800 m). Hotel Sester (owner opened up the hotel just for us).

Day 4 - Torremanzanas to Onil (29 km, 600 m). Hotel Onil (on the outskirts at a gasolinera, very good food in the restaurant).

Day 5 - Onil to Caudete (38 km, 500 m). Hostal Marisa. (other choice was two days of 17 and 21, with the first stop in Villena, where the alternative merges with the official Lana).

Day 6 - Caudete to Almansa (26 km, 250 m) . Hostal Casa Almántica. Do not miss a visit to the castle, it is fantastic.

Day 7 - Almansa to Alpera (24 km, 400m). Hostal Cazador.

Day 8 - Alpera to Alatoz (27 km, 250m). CR Mirador.

Day 9 - Alatoz to Alcalá del Jucar (30 km, 164 m). The distance from Alatoz to Alcalá is only 18, but we took a long walk along the gorge after lunch, which I included in my wikiloc tracks. Beautiful, touristy, good food, a climb to the castle, and nice hotel. Hostal Alcalá del Júcar.

Day 10 - Alcalá del Júcar to El Herrumblar (35 km, 330m). Hostal San Julián.

Day 11 - El Herrumblar to Campillo de Altobuey. (37 km 400m). Posada de Campillo.

Day 12 - Campillo de Altobuey to Monteagudo de Salinas (37 km 400 m). Rincón de Sandra. This is where we met up with @C clearly, who started her Lana in Valencia.

Day 13 - Monteagudo de Salinas to Fuentes (24 km, 280 m). Hostal Palancares.

Day 14 - Fuentes to Cuenca (24 km, 300m).

Day 15 - Rest day in Cuenca. I had decided I would try the zipline (tirolina in Spanish) over the gorge, but was disappointed to find it wasn’t open on our day there. It looks quite amazing, and not something I would usually try, so it would have been interesting and maybe a bit scary, But there is a lot to see and do in Cuenca without the tirolina!

Day 16 - Cuenca to Villar de Domingo García. (33 km 400m). From here on, it was @C clearly and I, with Alun taking a train south to enjoy more sun. CR Las Callejuelas. Don’t miss a tour of the Roman ruins in Noheda, right on the camino.

Day 17 - Villar de Domingo Garcia to Villaconejos (24 km, 60m). Albergue, which came with a special nighttime visit to Pepe’s bodega and some good food, a little ceremony, and a tour of the underground bodega.

Day 18 - Villaconejos to Salmerón (30 km, 400 m). Albergue.

Day 19 - Salmerón to Viana de Mondejar (22 km, 440 m). Albergue. Must bring food. Nice albergue, and in a great location for an afternoon walk up to the top of the Tetas de Viana. Adds about 6 km. HIGHLY recommended.

Day 20 - Viana de Mondejar to Cifuentes (22 km, 500 m). All hostals were full because of inspection of nuclear power plant. Albergue was hard to get into, but we made it after visits to the ayuntamiento and a helpful Guardia Civil. The mayor finally came out and showed us where the key was hidden. Nice town for walking around, centro histórico and its churches.

Day 21 - Cifuentes to Mandayona (28 km, 350 m). Hostal Rural Cumbres de Castilla (under the new ownership of a young couple).

Day 22 - Mandayona to Sigüenza (25 km, 400m). Beautiful centro histórico and good food! Lots of places to stay, if you want a splurge, there’s a parador in the castle (though the castle has been heavily restored after a lot of damage in the Civil War).

Day 23 - Sigüenza to Atienza (36 km, 660 m). I took a detour to see the romanesque church at Carrabias, which added a few kms. Several places to stay, great historic center and castle up top. Antiguo Palacio.

Day 24 - Atienza to Retortillo (23 km, 500 m). Hostal La Muralla (hostal and albergue). Afternoon visit to beautiful 11 C San Baudelio de Berlanga (by taxi).

Day 25 - Retortillo to Caracena (26 km, 350 m). BEAUTIFUL day, BEAUTIFUL town, great restaurant, spectacular castle perched on the gorge. Not enough superlatives to describe the day through the gorge and this little village.

Day 26 - Caracena to San Esteban de Gormaz (34 km, 300m). Rincón Elena.

Day 27 - San Esteban de Gormaz to Quintanarraya (33 km, 400 m). Albergue with no food in town.

Day 28 - Quintanarraya - Roman city of Clunia - Huerta de Rey (16 km, 200 m). If you’ve got the time, the visit to Clunia was great. We spent at least two hours there. Hostal Camino de Cid.

Day 29 - Huerta de Rey to Santo Domingo de Silos (through the desfiladero de Yecla). (25 km, 400 m). Challenging to stay on the trail, but we made it! Hotel Santo Domingo. Another must-see Romanesque cloister, and we also went to vespers.

Day 30 - Santo Domingo de Silos - Sad Hill - San Pedro de Arlanza - Covarrubias. (29 km, 700 m). Another day with detours, first to Sad Hill, and then to the restorred monastery at San Pedro. Totally worth it, though we had another challenge or two with the trail.

Day 31 - Covarrubias - Quintanilla de las Viñas - Modújar de San Cibrián. (34 km, 550 m). Yet another detour to the 7 C visigothic church and then on to the CR. La Cerca de Doña Jimena. (In Covarrubias we actually left the Lana and went on the San Olav “backwards” into Burgos).

Day 32 - Modúbar de San Cibrián to Burgos (19 km, 60 m). FLAT.

Here you go, @jpflavin1!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your info as always, Laurie! I thought I was close to walking the Lana a year or so ago but now it seems to have been lost in the backlog of potential caminos to do. One day!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Was there a special reason for you not to stay at the albergue in Alatoz? Closed? Would you recommend the CR Mirador (price)?
I am just at the point that I strongly prefer having my own room and bath, especially when I’m walking with a guy. The family that owns the casa rural owns several places in town, and we were the first or second people to stay in this place. My notes say he charged us 35. In the afternoon, he took us over to the old flour factory, which they were also renovating. Clearly a labor of love, preserving all those old tiles on the floor, as much of the original wood as possible, etc. I know the albergue is highly recommended, but this was very nice too.

A Camino friend just asked me about stages and accommodation on the Lana, which I walked last year. I realized I hadn’t posted a day-by-day, just a general post with some overall impressions. So here’s the day-by-day. I also recorded the tracks on wikiloc, same username. I did not stay in many albergues on this camino, though there is a good offering of albergues. I also took a number of detours to visit sites off-camino - Roman ruins, visigothic churches, gorges, restored Baroque monasteries, etc. I know many people just like to stay on the camino, but for me the chance to visit these places is just too big of a temptation!

Day 1 - arrived in Alicante by noon on a flight from Madrid. With early morning arrival on most flights from the US, it’s easy to get to just about any large city in Spain soon after you arrive. I had plenty of time to do all the pre-walking errands — phone, post office, food, and still had the late afternoon for a walk up to the castle with its great view over the endless blue ocean and the long strip of development on the Alicante coast. Then CRASH in the pensión for a good sleep.

Day 2 - Villajoyosa to Relleu (20 km, 500m). With my camino buddy Alun, we took a commuter train to Villajoyosa to start the trek up to Relleu. (This is the mountain alternative, which avoids the first few days of asphalt and suburban development). Casa de los Indianos, very nice but pricey.

Day 3 - Relleu to Torremanzanas (20 km, 800 m). Hotel Sester (owner opened up the hotel just for us).

Day 4 - Torremanzanas to Onil (29 km, 600 m). Hotel Onil (on the outskirts at a gasolinera, very good food in the restaurant).

Day 5 - Onil to Caudete (38 km, 500 m). Hostal Marisa. (other choice was two days of 17 and 21, with the first stop in Villena, where the alternative merges with the official Lana).

Day 6 - Caudete to Almansa (26 km, 250 m) . Hostal Casa Almántica. Do not miss a visit to the castle, it is fantastic.

Day 9 - Alatoz to Alcalá del Jucar (30 km, 164 m). The distance from Alatoz to Alcalá is only 18, but we took a long walk along the gorge after lunch, which I included in my wikiloc tracks. Beautiful, touristy, good food, a climb to the castle, and nice hotel. Hostal Alcalá del Júcar.

Day 11 - El Herrumblar to Campillo de Altobuey. (37 km 400m). Posada de Campillo.

Day 12 - Campillo de Altobuey to Monteagudo de Salinas (37 km 400 m). Rincón de Sandra. This is where we met up with @C clearly, who started her Lana in Valencia.

Day 15 - Rest day in Cuenca. I had decided I would try the zipline (tirolina in Spanish) over the gorge, but was disappointed to find it wasn’t open on our day there. It looks quite amazing, and not something I would usually try, so it would have been interesting and maybe a bit scary, But there is a lot to see and do in Cuenca without the tirolina!

Day 16 - Cuenca to Villar de Domingo García. (33 km 400m). From here on, it was @C clearly and I, with Alun taking a train south to enjoy more sun. CR Las Callejuelas. Don’t miss a tour of the Roman ruins in Noheda, right on the camino.

Day 17 - Villar de Domingo Garcia to Villaconejos (24 km, 60m). Albergue, which came with a special nighttime visit to Pepe’s bodega and some good food, a little ceremony, and a tour of the underground bodega.

Day 19 - Salmerón to Viana de Mondejar (22 km, 440 m). Albergue. Must bring food. Nice albergue, and in a great location for an afternoon walk up to the top of the Tetas de Viana. Adds about 6 km. HIGHLY recommended.

Day 20 - Viana de Mondejar to Cifuentes (22 km, 500 m). All hostals were full because of inspection of nuclear power plant. Albergue was hard to get into, but we made it after visits to the ayuntamiento and a helpful Guardia Civil. The mayor finally came out and showed us where the key was hidden. Nice town for walking around, centro histórico and its churches.

Day 21 - Cifuentes to Mandayona (28 km, 350 m). Hostal Rural Cumbres de Castilla (under the new ownership of a young couple).

Day 22 - Mandayona to Sigüenza (25 km, 400m). Beautiful centro histórico and good food! Lots of places to stay, if you want a splurge, there’s a parador in the castle (though the castle has been heavily restored after a lot of damage in the Civil War).

Day 23 - Sigüenza to Atienza (36 km, 660 m). I took a detour to see the romanesque church at Carrabias, which added a few kms. Several places to stay, great historic center and castle up top. Antiguo Palacio.

Day 24 - Atienza to Retortillo (23 km, 500 m). Hostal La Muralla (hostal and albergue). Afternoon visit to beautiful 11 C San Baudelio de Berlanga (by taxi).

Day 25 - Retortillo to Caracena (26 km, 350 m). BEAUTIFUL day, BEAUTIFUL town, great restaurant, spectacular castle perched on the gorge. Not enough superlatives to describe the day through the gorge and this little village.

Day 27 - San Esteban de Gormaz to Quintanarraya (33 km, 400 m). Albergue with no food in town.

Day 28 - Quintanarraya - Roman city of Clunia - Huerta de Rey (16 km, 200 m). If you’ve got the time, the visit to Clunia was great. We spent at least two hours there. Hostal Camino de Cid.

Day 29 - Huerta de Rey to Santo Domingo de Silos (through the desfiladero de Yecla). (25 km, 400 m). Challenging to stay on the trail, but we made it! Hotel Santo Domingo. Another must-see Romanesque cloister, and we also went to vespers.

Day 30 - Santo Domingo de Silos - Sad Hill - San Pedro de Arlanza - Covarrubias. (29 km, 700 m). Another day with detours, first to Sad Hill, and then to the restorred monastery at San Pedro. Totally worth it, though we had another challenge or two with the trail.

Day 31 - Covarrubias - Quintanilla de las Viñas - Modújar de San Cibrián. (34 km, 550 m). Yet another detour to the 7 C visigothic church and then on to the CR. La Cerca de Doña Jimena. (In Covarrubias we actually left the Lana and went on the San Olav “backwards” into Burgos).

Here you go, @jpflavin1!
Love your posts. Hoping to do 10 days from Villajoyosa starting 5th March. Even more looking forward to it now having read your post, thank you.

Here you go, @jpflavin1!
We have spoken before about my distances. I try to keep things under 25-27 every day. Early on I even try for shorter distances. I have often thought of doing the Lana. But you walked 12 days of 29+ kilometers. Is there any way to break things up to shorter distances or does the lack of towns/infrastructure make that unfeasible?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have spoken before about my distances. I try to keep things under 25-27 every day. Early on I even try for shorter distances. I have often thought of doing the Lana. But you walked 12 days of 29+ kilometers. Is there any way to break things up to shorter distances or does the lack of towns/infrastructure make that unfeasible?
Some of the longer days were because we had agreed to meet up with @C clearly in Monteagudo.

There are two great detailed planning threads for the Lana that we did in covid confinement.
@AJGuillaume participated in those threads and he always works on keeping stages short. I’m betting that you will find all you need to know about stages in these two documents.

Part 1 (Alicante to Cuenca)

Part 2 (Cuenca to Burgos)

Here’s another member who posted stages. I haven’t read the thread recently, but he starts by saying he had a “leisurely” pace.

And here’s a document with, I think, all albergues listed and distances.

It’s really a great route, @lt56ny, worth the head-scratching to come up with stages that work for you!

Some of the longer days were because we had agreed to meet up with @C clearly in Monteagudo.

There are two great detailed planning threads for the Lana that we did in covid confinement.
@AJGuillaume participated in those threads and he always works on keeping stages short. I’m betting that you will find all you need to know about stages in these two documents.

Part 1 (Alicante to Cuenca)

Part 2 (Cuenca to Burgos)

Here’s another member who posted stages. I haven’t read the thread recently, but he starts by saying he had a “leisurely” pace.

And here’s a document with, I think, all albergues listed and distances.

It’s really a great route, @lt56ny, worth the head-scratching to come up with stages that work for you!
Thanks so much. After I read your post I did some searching and I know I can break up my stages to my liking. With what you have given me it is all I think I would need to plan. I am always thinking of what is next. I think this year I am going to do the Aragones again and then head over to Madrid and do the Camino Madrid. Then over to Porto to do the coastal again. Last year I walked it and I loved it but was walking in a downpour every day. Would love to experience it with sunny skies. Next year it is down between the Mozarabe or the Lana. I know both have their plus/minus factor. Is there one you liked better?

Here you go, @jpflavin1!
🙏

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Was there a special reason for you not to stay at the albergue in Alatoz? Closed? Would you recommend the CR Mirador (price)?
Wow, what a coincidence! I just got a What’sApp video from the CR Mirador people to show the progress that has been made in restoring the flour mill! What I remember him telling us is that they are going to turn some of the ancillary rooms of the mill into several small vacation rentals, and restore the mill so it will be there for people to enjoy and learn from. A very expensive labor of love!

I’ve added some pictures from when he took us through. I love that old tile floor!
View attachment c2cfc218-71c6-42b0-963a-523415aceac5.mp4

Attachments

• IMG_8030.jpeg
    IMG_8030.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8031.jpeg
    IMG_8031.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8032.jpeg
    IMG_8032.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8025.jpeg
    IMG_8025.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8027.jpeg
    IMG_8027.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
The Albergue in Alatoz is excellent, and what makes it a special place to stop is the caring nature of the hospitalero, Pedro Antonio.
I know that is right. And in an earlier stage in my camino history, I would have definitely stayed there. But I was grateful to find this beautiful casa rural and was happy to contribute to the local economy that way. It’s great that even on an untraveled camino like the Lana, there are frequently choices for pilgrims!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Here you go, @jpflavin1!
March 2024: We just finished day 3 of Camino de Lana from Villajoyosa. It is a wonderful walk, I don’t have words to describe the views, citrus, pine forests, manicured terraces of olive and almond trees, mountains near and far.
We had the good fortune to bump into Pepe in Orcheta our first day. He is a mine of information and arranged for the church to be opened especially for us. He is the person who paints the way marking yellow arrows and Xs in the area. He advised that there is an individual between Relleu and Torremanzanas who has been painting over his signs, sometimes within hours so that there are few arrows in the middle part of this section. This was indeed the case, we could see where many signs had been defaced. This made navigation more difficult so a big thank you to Peregrina2000 for the great Wikilok trail.
Compared to our previous Camino experiences, the infrastructure is underdeveloped. Options for accommodation are limited. The sports centre in Relleu is open but the albergue in Torremanzanas is closed for renovation. We stayed in hotels in both towns, the only guests each time, so very appreciative, we were well looked after but the cost is well above what we would normally pay. I think it would be prohibitive for many.
Also of note, in both Relleu and Torremanzanas, food options are quite limited at 7-8 in the evening with kitchens closed much earlier than we have come to expect in Spain. We found fast food type places each evening so didn’t go hungry.
I am posting this not to put anyone off this wonderful route, but rather that they are prepared and know what to expect.

March 2024: We just finished day 3 of Camino de Lana from Villajoyosa. It is a wonderful walk, I don’t have words to describe the views, citrus, pine forests, manicured terraces of olive and almond trees, mountains near and far.
We had the good fortune to bump into Pepe in Orcheta our first day. He is a mine of information and arranged for the church to be opened especially for us. He is the person who paints the way marking yellow arrows and Xs in the area. He advised that there is an individual between Relleu and Torremanzanas who has been painting over his signs, sometimes within hours so that there are few arrows in the middle part of this section. This was indeed the case, we could see where many signs had been defaced. This made navigation more difficult so a big thank you to Peregrina2000 for the great Wikilok trail.
Compared to our previous Camino experiences, the infrastructure is underdeveloped. Options for accommodation are limited. The sports centre in Relleu is open but the albergue in Torremanzanas is closed for renovation. We stayed in hotels in both towns, the only guests each time, so very appreciative, we were well looked after but the cost is well above what we would normally pay. I think it would be prohibitive for many.
Also of note, in both Relleu and Torremanzanas, food options are quite limited at 7-8 in the evening with kitchens closed much earlier than we have come to expect in Spain. We found fast food type places each evening so didn’t go hungry.
I am posting this not to put anyone off this wonderful route, but rather that they are prepared and know what to expect.
As I'm considering starting walking the Lana this spring this was really useful info. Do you post any updates on your stages etc. somewhere? Would be great to have fresh info if I decided to walk that path.

What are you using as guide, the one from Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago en Alicante?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I'm considering starting walking the Lana this spring this was really useful info. Do you post any updates on your stages etc. somewhere? Would be great to have fresh info if I decided to walk that path.

What are you using as guide, the one from Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago en Alicante?
Day 1 Villajoyosa to Relleu, 20km
Day 2 Relleu toTorremanzanas, 20 km
Day3 Torremanzanas to Ibi, 18 km

The climb that morning gave some more great scenery. At the top there were forested slopes to our left and views of farmland below on our right.We discovered we are slow climbers and felt that the more usual stage of 28km to Onil would be too much. Our intention was to get a taxi to Onil and walk Onil toVillena on Day 4, a Friday. We didn’t know that there was a medieval fiesta in Villena that weekend and there wasn’t a bed available on Friday or Saturday night. We had booked the Hotel Plata in Ibi for Thursday night, and managed to extend our stay for 2 more nights, €49 per room per night with optional breakfast for €7.50 pp. Super shower and bath for sore limbs.There is a good selection for breakfast which sets you up for the day.

Day 4 Ibi to Onil and return, 20 km
In the spirit of the Camino we decided to walk the 10km we had omitted on Day 3, and also walked back. That thing about the Camino giving what you need, not what you want? Clearly we needed a dose of humility and to learn patience, and by honouring the spirit of the Camino we were rewarded with an unplanned rest day!

Day 5 Rest day. Laundry, Museum of Biodiversity. Restaurants that open 7.30 or 8 p.m, and stay open late
Day 6 Onil to Villena, 21 km
The initial climb was quite steep, followed by a less strenuous walk through farmland with a very flat stretch on what seemed to be an old railway line leading into the town. Stayed in Airbnb for €59. The albergue in the convent appears to be closed.
Day 7 Villena to Caudete, 16 km.
A lovely walk mostly through farmland, almond, vine, cereal. The entry into the town is along a tree lined avenu. Almost immediately a man stopped to welcome us to the town and wanted to know where we were from etc. He was a member of the pilgrim Association and delighted to see us. A little further along another gentleman also wanted to chat. We had phoned ahead a few days before to stay in the albergue and were warmly welcomed by two members of the Association who explained everything, €10 pp per night. It is an old building with bathroom and kitchenette on the ground floor and a room with 2 set of bunk beds upstairs. Panoramic view from the window which opens out on to small balcony where you can dry clothes on clothes horse.
We hadn’t bothered getting Credencial on this trip but they insisted we should as some albergues are not accepting guests without Credencial (the system was being abused by non-walkers).
The guys take a photo in the lobby of all guests. Within a couple of hours Pepe from Orcheta sent a WhatsApp with the photo telling us we were famous! It being a Monday night, many of the restaurants were closed. We opted to try the hotel Marisa where the dueña immediately said she recognised us from our photo - she was also involved with the Association. We had a tasty substantial 3 course meal, €13 each.
Day 8
Caudete to Almansa, 26km
Terrain similar to previous day, a long stretch parallel to the motorway.
We stayed in the Maria de Esclavas house, having phoned ahead the day before, a private twin room with shared bathroom, €7 pp per night. Note that the only document we were asked to produce was the Credencial. We went out to eat and were expected to be back by 10.30 which wasn’t a problem. There was another couple staying, the first pilgrims we met.

We had hoped to walk a few more days but this is all we managed on this occasion. We hope to start in Almansa next time and go perhaps to Cuenca.
We relied on information on the Forum for the Villajoyosa to Villena days, and the the Guide you refer to.
I have some Spanish and I think our experience would have been less enjoyable otherwise

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 6
@peregrina2000 What GPX-track did you use? I can always find yours as well (and see your planned and unplanned detours/back and forth)
Hi Beatrice,

I’m sorry that I’m not going to be able to give you a set of tracks that I followed. I went stage by stage and downloaded a couple of tracks for each stage. I would have two or three available off-line every day in case the marking got sketchy. Then I could compare a couple of options. I always try to have recent tracks, but also reliable tracks. Roderosky and twin.astir are two whose tracks I frequently follow.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Valencia and met up with @peregrina2000 in Monteagudo de las Salinas. I used tracks on the descargas page of the Asociación Jacobea de Requena website. I found the tracks to be excellent.
Thanks. Have to decide where to start. Started in Valencia for Levante so maybe I start in Alicante or Benidorm (or start by walking from Alicante to Benidorm :) )

@peregrina2000 What GPX-track did you use? I can always find yours as well (and see your planned and unplanned detours/back and forth)
Hi Beatrice,

I’m not going to be able to give you a set of tracks that I followed. I went stage by stage and downloaded a couple of tracks for each stage. I would have two or three available off-line every day in case the marking got sketchy. Then I could compare a couple of options. I always try to have recent tracks, but also reliable tracks. Some users like Roderosky and Twin.Astirs have been posting camino tracks for years.

The Villajoyosa alternative is a little shorter than the Benidorm alternative but they both meet up in Relleu or slightly before. We chose Villajoyosa just because it was a little closer to Alicante than Benidorm, and a much smaller place, but both are connected to the Cercanías and easy to get to from Alicante. Good info on those options here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back