• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

another newby

Steph255

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Hello,

My name is Steph and I live in Germany. I'll be walking the Camino Frances alone starting in June. Currently doing practise hikes with full backpack weight .... at least this way I know I COULD do it .... but sadly I also get a feeling for how rough it'll get. Train tickets are booked .... so its settled. Slowly getting really excited. Anybody else of you on the Camino starting in Saint Jean on the 24th? .... but I'm only going as far up as Orisson that day .... I'm bringing my violin ..... just don't know if I'll actually have the guts to pull it out of the backpack to play with people listening ..... we'll see.

Buen Camino!

Steph

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome. Someone with an instrument is always welcomed at the day's end as long as they are half way capable or better! If you feel you need to take it because you would miss playing then you are probably more than competent enough! But good luck with the extra weight! Buen Camino.

Hi Steph,

My names Nee and I'm from London. I think that I will be one day behind you! I'll be arriving in Lourdes on the 22nd and getting the train to Saint Jean on the 24th. I'm still deciding whether to start walking on the 24th or rest up and get started bright and early on the 25th. Either way I hope that our paths cross at some point ;) Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome. Someone with an instrument is always welcomed at the day's end as long as they are half way capable or better! If you feel you need to take it because you would miss playing then you are probably more than competent enough! But good luck with the extra weight! Buen Camino.

Hi Allan,
Thanks for the welcome! Gulp -- competent ? Don't know about that... but I'm bringing it because I seriously WOULD miss playing it -- I've only been playing for a year and a half, so nothing fancy and I can't guarantee every note to be completely straight ... also an occacional scratch is still in there. But I love it and looked up some easy, yet fun songs to fiddle along ... the pilgrims song of course and some Irish, Scottish, American, German folk stuff mainly. Lol -- and since I'll be travelling during the soccer EM I also got some anthems in there as well ( lol -- the Brit one as well, since you guys kicked our butt in the last match. :) ) The weight is acceptable, its a cheapish light trashy violin and a short children's bow. I would never risk the real instrument to get wrecked along the way .... this crappy one so at least has some kind of purpose in its life :) I pretty much minized everything else just so I could bring it along ... I guess I'm a bit addicted. A dream would be to find an empty church and play an Ave Maria....we'll see.

Steph

Hi Steph,

My names Nee and I'm from London. I think that I will be one day behind you! I'll be arriving in Lourdes on the 22nd and getting the train to Saint Jean on the 24th. I'm still deciding whether to start walking on the 24th or rest up and get started bright and early on the 25th. Either way I hope that our paths cross at some point ;) Buen Camino!

Hi Nee,

Cool -- I'll keep an eye out to meet you! I'll get to Bayonne on the 23rd in the evening... too late to get to Saint Jean that day, so I'm planning on taking the first train on the 24th and get everything settled at the pilgrims office, have a bit of time to look around and then probably start my Camino around mid day ... if I get the reservation confirmation from Orisson that is. I'm still waiting for that one.

Oh, I'm 40 years old, have long blond hair and carry an old (ancient!) red with black Salewa Oregon Backpack ... just so you can identify me in case you walk up to me :)

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

My name is Steph and I live in Germany. I'll be walking the Camino Frances alone starting in June. Currently doing practise hikes with full backpack weight .... at least this way I know I COULD do it .... but sadly I also get a feeling for how rough it'll get. Train tickets are booked .... so its settled. Slowly getting really excited. Anybody else of you on the Camino starting in Saint Jean on the 24th? .... but I'm only going as far up as Orisson that day .... I'm bringing my violin ..... just don't know if I'll actually have the guts to pull it out of the backpack to play with people listening ..... we'll see.

Buen Camino!

Steph
Hi Steph
I will leave SJPP on morning of May 26 so may be within hearing distance of the fiddle after Pamplona. I will stop every hour and put my ear to the ground to detect foot tapping.
Watch out for an ancient old geezer with a Canadian maple leaf tag on the bag.
George

Hi George,

May? Oh no --I'm not walking till June. Too bad, but I loved the ear on the ground part :) ... Buen Camino!

Oh -- and I got my albergues for Bayonne and Orisson all booked .... so hopefully I'm all set for a stressfree start! Whoohooo!!!!!

Also getting better with my training hikes. Did 22kms yesterday with 9,2kg weight. I'm slow, but I manage to get it done. I guess that's what counts.

51 more days! Getting closer and closer!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi George,

May? Oh no --I'm not walking till June. Too bad, but I loved the ear on the ground part :) ... Buen Camino!

Oh -- and I got my albergues for Bayonne and Orisson all booked .... so hopefully I'm all set for a stressfree start! Whoohooo!!!!!

Also getting better with my training hikes. Did 22kms yesterday with 9,2kg weight. I'm slow, but I manage to get it done. I guess that's what counts.

51 more days! Getting closer and closer!

22km with 51 days to go; now that's impressive. Not so sure about 9.2 kg weight. You don't need to have a real kitchen sink in your pack; it's just an expression of how much stuff you carry!
Too bad I wont hear the fiddle in Pamplona after all, as I hope to be 1 day from Santiago on June 24.
Buen camino Steph255
George

... Did 22kms yesterday with 9,2kg weight. ...

Is that the weight you plan to take? If yes, it is a 'bit' on the heavy side. You can always post your packing list here and we help you to sort things out. June on the Camino Frances doesn't require much gear ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Thank you but I'm already happy with my packing list according to my plain basic needs (less than 6 kg) and my personal totally unnecessary, yet joy-creating wants. At first I tried to minimize weight no matter what. But then I figured -- hey, if I'm willing and able to carry the extra weight which makes me feel good for round about 800 kms --- why the heck not? That's why I do my practise hikes now with full weight --- to see if it might bother me -- in case I do get annoyed by the weight, I still have the option of leaving stuff at home for the real deal. I know I surely COULD (lol -- maybe even should) leave some items at home --- I don't NEED them and I really don't have to have them along to get by .... but the point is --- I WANT to --- so I take it as my own personal luxury to carry this extra weight, just because I can and conciously choose to do so :) I might post my packing list after I finish the Camino -- with added remarks about each item. Heck, I might even decide to send stuff home after all, like so many others do. But somehow I doubt that it'll happen -- I've freed myself from the state of Need -- but I've also embraced my Wants. I believe everybody has to find their own way of being a pilgrim .... this is mine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

Buen Camino!

Steph
Hi Angus here ,staying in orisson on the 25th June leaving next morning mi
Hello,

Buen Camino!

Steph
Hello,

Buen Camino!

Steph
Hi ,Angus here, staying in Orisson the day after you ,don't over think your Camino ,we all have doubt' s and fears about the journey ahead of us no matter what our age ,enjoy every minute of your camino . Buen Camino.

Hi Angus here ,staying in orisson on the 25th June leaving next morning mi

Hi ,Angus here, staying in Orisson the day after you ,don't over think your Camino ,we all have doubt' s and fears about the journey ahead of us no matter what our age ,enjoy every minute of your camino . Buen Camino.

Hi Angus, I've just had confirmation for Orisson on the 25th as well :) Look forward to seeing you there!

Hi Angus, I've just had confirmation for Orisson on the 25th as well :) Look forward to seeing you there!
The days are flying in,won't be long now ,just completed 14 mile of the West highland way today trying to get fitter,you'll not miss me I'm the dour faced Scotsman ,enjoy every day of your Camino. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Angus!

I hope to meet you and Nee at some point of our walk.

I've been in your neck of the woods two years ago and we hiked up Ben Aan. Lol -- the local Scotsmen (even the kids!) pretty much flew up and down that mountain... We were in awe! Lol -- if you resemble them in any way, I'm sure our paths will cross after very, very few days already :) ... Lol -- can you sing along to the Loch Lomond song? Nothing beats a true Scottish accent --- totally loving it!

Lol -- not to be mean to London in any way though ---- sorry Nee :) Never been to England yet. Oh, on the day I'm on the train to Bayonne they actually have the Brexit election .... that'll be ...interesting -- I hope you all stay!

Steffi

Hi Angus!

I hope to meet you and Nee at some point of our walk.

I've been in your neck of the woods two years ago and we hiked up Ben Aan. Lol -- the local Scotsmen (even the kids!) pretty much flew up and down that mountain... We were in awe! Lol -- if you resemble them in any way, I'm sure our paths will cross after very, very few days already :) ... Lol -- can you sing along to the Loch Lomond song? Nothing beats a true Scottish accent --- totally loving it!

Lol -- not to be mean to London in any way though ---- sorry Nee :) Never been to England yet. Oh, on the day I'm on the train to Bayonne they actually have the Brexit election .... that'll be ...interesting -- I hope you all stay!

Steffi
If our paths cross you will probably need an interpreter ,enjoy every minute of your Camino. Buen Camino.

Welcome Steph! I wish I was walking when you are I love music, especially the old folk songs and the violin.

Guten weg.

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gulp -- backpack sitting in the hall, all packed for tomorrow. Queer feeling. I'm freaking out....just a little....aaaahhhhrrrgghhhh!!!!! Train leaves at 6:25 am and I won't get to Bayonne till 19:33 .... boy that'll be a loooong train ride. I fear the moment of having to part with my sweetheart at the train station. Is it very uncool to sob incoherently like a baby? Because I think that's what will happen.

Stef

Gulp -- backpack sitting in the hall, all packed for tomorrow. Queer feeling. I'm freaking out....just a little....aaaahhhhrrrgghhhh!!!!! Train leaves at 6:25 am and I won't get to Bayonne till 19:33 .... boy that'll be a loooong train ride. I fear the moment of having to part with my sweetheart at the train station. Is it very uncool to sob incoherently like a baby? Because I think that's what will happen.

Stef

Steph:

Take a deep breath and relax. You are about to embark on a wonderful journey. Enjoy the TGV train ride from Paris. It equates to the same distance you will take over a month to walk, in 5 hours.

You will meet wonderful people, enjoy walking through a variety of natures landscapes, immerse yourself in a range of Spanish culture and share meals and drinks with new found friends.

All you have to do is take that first step out of your comfort zone.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

Stef
You're either on the verge of a great adventure or just going for a long walk in the countryside. Either way pre-trip nerves are perfectly normal. All sorts of emotions are perfectly normal at such a time too. Just let them flow - energy in motion. It's difficult parting from people that you are close to, even for a short time, so crying is allowed.

And as for the loooong train ride, take time to look out of the window and enjoy the French countryside as you travel on to Bayonne.

Go well and Buen Camino!

€149,-
thanks guys! Still nervous like crazy, but I loved to read your reassuring posts!

thank you! :) et suseia

I am leaving Lourdes tomorrow morning for the 5 hour train ride to SJPdP. And then getting started the following day to Orisson. Hope to catch you on the Way Steph. Buen Camino x

I am leaving Lourdes tomorrow morning for the 5 hour train ride to SJPdP. And then getting started the following day to Orisson. Hope to catch you on the Way Steph. Buen Camino x
Hi, almost at the beginning of your journey. You will have a great time in the albergue Orisson. The evening meal together , and after the meal everyone will introduce themselves. You will meet your Camino family.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.