• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another question about sleeping bags

Deborah

My husband and I are beginning our walk around September 1. We plan on taking it slow as we are in our 50's.

I have read and reread many of these forum q's and a's but still have one question.

I have to purchase a sleeping bag. I only weigh 140 so I only want to carry 14 pounds tops.

I can get a 2.5 pound bag but the temperature rating is above 30 degrees F.
Will this be warm enough? I do tend to get cold rather than hot.
Will I ever have to sleep outdoors due to full refugios in sept/oct?

Help? Do I need a down bag? A heavier bag? Anyone just use a fleece bag in the FALL?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Peter Robbins has a great site for the historical wather along the camino:

http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/camino/weather.html. There is also a link to it and other weather sites in the FAQ page from the main CSJ home page.

The coldest usual temperature in Feb is 8.5 (47F), and you will be inside. So, I don't think you will have to worry.

REI has synthetic bags rated at 40 degrees that are under a pound, which are much cheaper than down bags. Also there are a number of good suggestions on this board for making a sleep sack by basting polar fleece (I think "sillydoll" posted them.). I would have done that if I were at all handy.

My problem is that I can't convince myself not to carry Gitlitz' and Davidson's guide book and the complete works of Trollope.

Enjoy.

Tom

I hate mummy bags. I bring a wide, rectangular cotton/synthetic blend sheet bag and a lightweight down comforter. Comfortable in all kinds of weather and very lightweight to carry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just because you're in your 50s doesn't mean that you have to take it slow. :) Unless that's what you prefer.

What has worked for me for two Caminos - one in September, was a 5 ounce silk liner, and, 7 ounce Montbell down blanket, which I tuck inside the silk liner when I need extra warmth.
Remember, you aren't sleeping outside, and many albergues have blankets that you can use.
Also, it can be HOT in September.

Will this be warm enough? I do tend to get cold rather than hot.

A bag that's rated to -1°C should be fine. They can withstand down to -5° in a pinch, especially if you can add some extra layers during sleep, so that bag you've chosen should be good enough for your Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked September with a 500 gm mummy bag
Probably rated a 35f degree bag
Cost $70 on amazon.us
size of 20x13 cm in compression sack
Plenty warm

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.