• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another The Way Filming Location Query

Yes, I really have nothing better to do
Difficult to think of anything better to do than looking at maps in lockdown!
Kathar1na, can I ask which map series you used in post 79? Looks a bit like IGN, but I can' t find one exactly the same. (Lovely work, by the way.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Difficult to think of anything better to do than looking at maps in lockdown! Kathar1na, can I ask which map series you used in post 79? Looks a bit like IGN, but I can' t find one exactly the same. (Lovely work, by the way.)
Thank you 🙂. It is indeed an IGN map. It took me a while to find it again so apologies for describing in great detail how to get there - it may save time.
  • go to https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte ;
  • I usually type a location name into the search field straight away, for example Arneguy but any location will do of course, it is a comfortable and user friendly interface;
  • click on CARTES (top left); a window with a number of options for maps of different kinds opens;
  • click on Voir tous les fonds de carte to view all the available map backgrounds;
  • click on Carte IGN (number 2 from start) to get to the map I used. I usually prefer Carte topographique IGN. It is even possible to view the Cassini maps from the 18th century!
  • last but not least: enjoy ☺.

Geoportail.jpg

I'll have to explore geoportail. I usually use https://gpsvisualizer.com

Besides viewing your choice of map base layers you can view gps files overlaid on top, markup the map to create gps files, save one for about a week so you can send a link, display elevation profiles from gps files, etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I forgot to mention: If, in Géoportail, you click on Carte IGN and on Parcelles cadastrales, you can see the borders of the territory of Arneguy.

Then all you have to do is pull out your favourite purple sharpie / marker pen / fluo, and Bob's your uncle. 😇

Last edited:
There is a bit of melancholy hanging in the air on this Sunday morning. There is definitely a vibe in the air that the lockdown is coming to an end.

A good moment to say how much I enjoyed these threads. As if it had not been obvious. 😇

I learnt more about some interesting new things. I enjoyed the chase for clues and answers, the dead ends, the unexpected turns, the creative answers, the not-so-creative answers 😂, the fact that my mind was taken off other stuff and I didn't fly into yet another rage about politicians that shall remain unnamed, and last but not least the fact that we helped to put the memory of Señor Sostres right if only on these ephemeral cyberpages.

And I am still having a fit of the giggles when I visit the comments again that say that Martin Sheen is not 4 meters tall and crudely photoshopped. 🤣

Thanks!

There is definitely a vibe in the air that the lockdown is coming to an end.
In the UK, which was obviously seriously underprepared for the pandemic, we are all praying for the lockdown NOT to come to an end yet! I had planned a walking holiday in Scotland next month, booked accommodation and travel, but will now be putting it off to next year.

Thanks for the info on your maps - I had French IGN saved as a favourite (it is excellent for showing the French Grandes Randonnées in great detail) but the layout has changed and my French is poor.

I am a bit of a map nerd - I have a complete set of IGN 1:25000 maps for the GR65 from Figeac to SJpdP

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Then somehow it acquired also the name croix Thibault or similar spelling. This may be a family name. The Croix Thibault was apparently put in place in 1993 at the occasion of the Santiago Holy Year 1993 that fuelled the contemporary Camino revival.
I am adding this tiny bit of info because I recently consulted a guidebook published in 1999 and written by a well-known Spanish author - Millán Bravo Lozano - and I happened to see the entry about this cross.

Posters ask occasionally about the Croix Thibault. Brierley does not seem to know anything about it. This cross or memorial is indeed called after the family name of the person who had it erected. The canons (priests) of Roncesvalles blessed it in the summer of 1993.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back