• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any other knitters taking something to work on?

SalvationJane

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 3/24/13 - 5/13/13
I am an avid knitter and fiber enthusiast, and will go utterly mad if I have nothing to work on in the evenings for six weeks. I am taking a lace weight project in linen that weighs around 400 gms, and is worked on 2.75 mm (US 2) needles.

Yes, it's a lot of mindless stocking stitch, but I want to be able to listen to people, and something that is essentially "TV knitting" will be perfect for me. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SalvationJane said:
I am an avid knitter and fiber enthusiast, and will go utterly mad if I have nothing to work on in the evenings for six weeks. I am taking a lace weight project in linen that weighs around 400 gms, and is worked on 2.75 mm (US 2) needles.

Yes, it's a lot of mindless stocking stitch, but I want to be able to listen to people, and something that is essentially "TV knitting" will be perfect for me. :D

I'm planning to knit as well but something small as I'm only starting from Leone. My husband is beginning in France and we will meet there Mid April. It will definitely be lightweight and I was thinking of just doing a scarf or plain vanilla socks.

My other idea was to take a drop spindle. I wonder if anyone else has spindles on the Way?

I am not a knitter, crochet would be more my line. However I took a few (solid) paints and a small brush last year with postcard size paper. Great for 10 minute sketches or more. I am thinking od doing the same this year, but a crochet hook and thread might be an idea sometime in the future.

One question that comes to mind:- Do you have to ship your knitting needles or can you carry them in flight? Some airlines seem to see them as potential weapons :roll:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Knitting needles have been acceptable since 2003. Its best not to take metal, though... I'm not above buying MORE needles when I get to Spain. It's also recommended to take a self addressed envelope in case TSA gets sassy and just up and decides to say no, because they feel like it.

You can buy needles and hooks in Spain. Wool, too. You can sometimes find it caught on fence wires, so if you have your spindle you are in business! (If you come at the right time of year and look in the right places, you will occasionally still see spindles in action.)

There are certainly knitters about. I have a lovely little crocheted sock monkey to show for one of them!

Reb.

Not wanting to finish my knitting project before I'd finished walking, I took 200g of merino sock wool and got from the knee to turning the heel. Although there's only the feet to go I've hardly touched them since returning home - kind of hoping I'll finish them on the next camino (and there will be enough yarn left for a pair of anklets in the same pattern). While at home I'm busy on enormous blankets that I would never carry on a walk!!
I, too, enjoyed doing a bit of sketching as well, even to the point of discovering I knit less than when at home!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SalvationJane said:
I am an avid knitter and fiber enthusiast, and will go utterly mad if I have nothing to work on in the evenings for six weeks. :D
Yes, absolutely! I'll be taking some light "baby alpaca-silk", for very small baby clothes.. by the time I hit the trail I should have two tiny granddaughters to knit for! I also will go for simple talk-and-knit patterns!! (in you're on the trail in mid-June/ July we can compare patterns!)
-shannon

SalvationJane said:
I am an avid knitter and fiber enthusiast, and will go utterly mad if I have nothing to work on in the evenings for six weeks.

I am planning to take my circulars and some silk yarn for a scarf. A bit worried that stringent packing will make me abandon this idea! Maybe I can find some other use for the needles to justify their inclusion ???

FrancineM said:
My other idea was to take a drop spindle. I wonder if anyone else has spindles on the Way?

That sounds like a fabulous idea! No doubt there will be wool to spin.

And yes, I DO plan to buy some Spanish yarn and ship it home. Why do you ask? :wink:

As to needles: I have been flying regularly for the past several years--including going to knitting conferences---and have never had anybody concern themselves with my Addi Turbo circulars. I count about twelve different airports just off the top of my head, and so far it's been smooth sailing.

I am somewhat regretting not starting in Le Puy-en-Velay as I originally wanted to. The bobbin lace from that city and region is historically world-famous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've settled on a project, I'm doing the Hitchhiker because I thought it fitting. Even if I just work on it while on planes and in the evenings, I will be through a huge chunk of it.

So, I had decided not to take my needles or spindle but I like the Hitchhiker idea and also "tv knitting" at night while visiting and listening. We are starting in Ponferrada on April 27. Do ya'll know of any knitting shops from there to Santiago. It would be so cool to find wool on the fence to bring home and spin. Thanks for the ideas ladies!!

Kim

I didn't see any knitting shops while out and about on my Camino. I did pick up some fluffs of fleece I found at had been shed by sheep. I'm very happy to have a little so that I might spin it and make a momento from it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
apparently....Rua San Pedro 89 15705 SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - yarn shop selling DROPS wool (among other no doubt)

Interesting topic! I love textiles and can knit, sew, crotchet, etc, but had not thought of taking a piece of work with me. But it's a great idea, especially for rest periods. I'm going to look for an embroidery project to take with me...thanks!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back