• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any recommendations on accessing money for Camino walk in Europe?

KateDuncan

Time of past OR future Camino
Kate August - early October 2023
Hello folks- am preparing for my first Camino walk on late August to early October along Camino Frances and am wondering about accessing money, without additional fees on top of exchange (I’m from Canada). Travellers cheques were so easy in by-gone days. In Canada we don’t have great fintech options like Revolut. Thanks for your thoughts!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are many recommendations here on the forum! Click on the tag "money/banking/budget" that is now under the title of this thread.

Personally, I take €300 from home, use my credit card when I can, and withdraw with a debit card at an ATM when I need cash. Typically there is a charge at the ATM (e.g. €7) and $5 from my Canadian bank. So if I need to withdraw more cash in Spain, I get €300 at a time. Assuming 1 or 2 such withdrawals in Spain, I pay $15-30 for the convenience during my month in Spain. I cannot be bothered to change my bank accounts to save $30.

there are ATM's all over the Camino...even some tiny villages have them. Be sure and notify your ATM card company of your travel dates, but it should be VERY easy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also follow the "bring Euros from home" routine, usually these are notes and coins I have kept from my last EU visit,. In addition to a credit or debit card I have a MC/Visa Travel Money Card, which I can load with all major international currencies. The usage fees are similar to those experienced by C clearly but without the home bank fee. Cheers

Many thanks! Tbh am a bit overwhelmed by the volume and immediacy of responses on this site you all leave big footprint to follow, in the very best of “ways”

Charles Schwab reimburses fees. You have to set up a checking account (or brokerage account) then transfer money you think you’ll need for the Camino. I use my Schwab account only for travel. When not traveling I have a $0 balance with no fees. Now I don’t know if Canadians can open a Charles Schwab account but you might want to check.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have your major bank account with Simplii Financial, a Canadian bank, their debit card would not work for withdrawing cash at an ATM when I was in Spain in the spring. The bank has since issued new cards. When I phoned them about services available on the new card, I was told that the new bank card does not work in Europe either. There are ways to transfer money if you have another account to transfer money to. But you need to consult with a second bank and have everything set up before you leave.

If you have your major bank account with Simplii Financial, a Canadian bank, their debit card would not work for withdrawing cash at an ATM when I was in Spain in the spring. The bank has since issued new cards. When I phoned them about services available on the new card, I was told that the new bank card does not work in Europe either. There are ways to transfer money if you have another account to transfer money to. But you need to consult with a second bank and have everything set up before you leave.
I don't know what the story is, but I haven't been able to withdraw money from the Deutsche Bank machines with my Scotiabank debit card, either (I like the Deutsche Bank machines because less fees). But that is why I brink debit cards and credit cards from at least two different banks. I will sort it out when I get home rather than spend a lot of time and possibly money on long distance calls now and just use another of my cards. The bank couldn't explain to my wife why it wasn't working.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
See if Wise offer their debit card in Canada. I have used it exclusively on Camino and they are very cheap for currency exchange (similar to Revolut), with all the benefits of modern open banking and they partner with a series of banks to allow zero fee ATM withdrawals from those partner bank ATMs.

I have noticed that several other regular posters also use and recommend Wise

It's very easy as other posters have mentioned.
I am currently on the Camino and I am mostly using my Euro account and debit card. I recommend transferring a sum to your personal bank account's Euro deposit account before you leave and then just using your worldwide debit card to tap / swipe as you go and withdraw hard cash as needed. Way cheaper and easier than those old traveler's checks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a follow up to Canadians trying to find fee-free cards for travel in Europe/ along Camino: Scotiabank offers a Passport VISA card that allows for usage without any transaction fees on top of the exchange rates! Mine arrived via courier 16 hours before departure…. Give yourselves a little more time ;)

if Wise offer their debit card in Canada. I have used it exclusively on Camino and they are very cheap for currency exchange
Agree with DoughnutANZ. It's what I normally use - technically still am, since I'm in Santiago! Also used it in Norway last year, and my son will take it with him to the UK, 24 hours after my arrival home.... ( You can load multiple currencies, handy if travelling elsewhere too).
Yes, travellers cheques were easy. But believe me, this is a whole new level of easy!!
Incidentally, as posted by others, I also carry cash. I bring €350. : 30/40 of which of which is always readily available, the rest, unseen, in my money belt, which never leaves me when travelling. Never, ever accessed in public.
Just like the old days.....

Hello folks- am preparing for my first Camino walk on late August to early October along Camino Frances and am wondering about accessing money, without additional fees on top of exchange (I’m from Canada). Travellers cheques were so easy in by-gone days. In Canada we don’t have great fintech options like Revolut. Thanks for your thoughts!
My biggest tip whichever way you access money from your account would be to plan on spending cash. Many many small shops, bars etc will not let you use your debit card for transactions under 10€ so always carry cash.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back