• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone ever done the TMB (Tour of Mont Blanc)?

Sam_Sillaman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (hopefully by 2030)
My husband and I are planning to embark on the TMB in August of 2024 as part of a postponed honeymoon of sorts. We were married in June 2022 but he's been in grad school since then and we didn't want to interrupt things by going on the month-long European excursion we'd always planned would be our honeymoon. Now, I'm getting into the concrete planning of our trip for next year when he's done. We originally thought we would do the Camino Frances, however, he has never been to Europe and was interested in seeing more countries than just France/Spain. As such we agree that we would do the TMB, which should take us 10-12 days to finish, and then use the last half of the month to explore another region of Europe outside of the Alps. I am very familiar with travel in Spain, Greece, and somewhat in France. Since I've never been to Italy, we have toyed with the idea of heading down to Tuscany after finishing the TMB and seeing Florence, Pisa, and Cinque Terre. We've also considered heading over to Spain and hitting Madrid, Barcelona, and the small town I studied abroad in back in college to see some friends. I could also be swayed to do Paris and then some time in Provence. For those on here that have done the Tour du Mont Blanc, what two-ish week trip would you recommend to round off our trip based on prices and convenience in getting there? We will likely fly into Geneva to start and end the TMB at Les Houches. I suppose if we were to fly to another destination (rather than take a train), it would be from the Geneva airport as well. For context, we are from North Carolina, USA and airport of origin is Raleigh-Durham International. Many thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sam_Sillaman,

For more information re the TMB check out the various posts by those who have walked the route and others who dream of the mountains on this earlier thread.

This may be the best site for planning your own way.

Happy dreaming /planning to you both.

Last edited:
My husband and I are planning to embark on the TMB in August of 2024 as part of a postponed honeymoon of sorts. We were married in June 2022 but he's been in grad school since then and we didn't want to interrupt things by going on the month-long European excursion we'd always planned would be our honeymoon. Now, I'm getting into the concrete planning of our trip for next year when he's done. We originally thought we would do the Camino Frances, however, he has never been to Europe and was interested in seeing more countries than just France/Spain. As such we agree that we would do the TMB, which should take us 10-12 days to finish, and then use the last half of the month to explore another region of Europe outside of the Alps. I am very familiar with travel in Spain, Greece, and somewhat in France. Since I've never been to Italy, we have toyed with the idea of heading down to Tuscany after finishing the TMB and seeing Florence, Pisa, and Cinque Terre. We've also considered heading over to Spain and hitting Madrid, Barcelona, and the small town I studied abroad in back in college to see some friends. I could also be swayed to do Paris and then some time in Provence. For those on here that have done the Tour du Mont Blanc, what two-ish week trip would you recommend to round off our trip based on prices and convenience in getting there? We will likely fly into Geneva to start and end the TMB at Les Houches. I suppose if we were to fly to another destination (rather than take a train), it would be from the Geneva airport as well. For context, we are from North Carolina, USA and airport of origin is Raleigh-Durham International. Many thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!
Have you considered doing less for longer?

I appreciate that the annual vacation allowance in the US promotes a ‘use every minute’ culture, but I’m tired just reading your proposed schedule.

The concept of (for example) ‘Doing Paris’ in a day or two is verging on disrespectful.

Pick a village on a small Greek island. Learn a bit of Greek and go without expectations. Spend a month there and you’ll still be getting wedding invitations in 50 years time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Sam_Sillaman, although your post title is 'Anyone Ever Done the TMB?' you're not actually asking anything about it!

For what it's worth; yes, I walked the TMB in 2014.
As for ideas on how to spend the rest of your time in Europe, I agree with @henrythedog in regards to 'less is more'.

My suggestion would be to walk King Ludwig's Way in Germany...I did it & the TMB in the one trip. Although you state you want something away from the Alps, this trail has them as a backdrop only. You also mentioned price & convenience; even though Germany isn't as cheap as Spain or Greece, it is so easy to get to Munich from the TMB so you will not be wasting time 'in transit' & the added expense of multiple transport, accommodation from enforced layovers, etc.
The KLW takes 6-7 days which will still leave you a week to seek a 'contrast' destination...I chose Croatia to round off my trip.
Feel free to ask if you have queries on any or all of the above.
My parting advice...tempting as it is, don't try to do too much...quality over quantity!
Enjoy deciding.
👣🌏

Yes, the infamous 2012 year of the Mont Blanc avalanche. We had completed the TMB 4 days ahead of schedule, it was beautiful, needed crampons on high passes, temps hitting 35 degrees and torrential storms at night. We arrived back in Les Houches and opted to go for a summit attempt of Mont Blanc. Acclimatised and super fit we took the Aguille du Midi cable car to the glacier and met up with a few others, Roger Payne, Steve Barber and John Taylor, we were invited to join their group via the Trois Mont route and before we knew it we were heading across the glacier and ascending to our first mountain top Tacul, Maudit and Mont Blanc. A team member had twisted his ankle and we opted to return back as he was sweating badly. Arriving back in UK some 24 hours later we found out 9 had perished in the cerac avalanche. Roger & the team were sadly gone. We returned in 2013 and summit in memory of them via the Goiter route that was a tough ascent. The TMB is stunning, a few tough sections on high passes and coming through the gorge clipping in on the pau deficile wire ladders section but a wonderful experience. Plenty of camp spots, refuges and small villages for refuelling and water which was always our biggest concern.

For your time after TMB, since you will have been moving every day on TMB, why not find one place from which you can do day trips or nothing at all. We rented a villa in Tuscany from which we visited Pisa, Lucca, San Giamino, Voltarra, Sienna, and Cortuna. Plus we spend a day around the villa and visited a couple local wineries. Just prior to the villa, we had rented an apartment in Florence for a few days and after the villa we spend four days in Cinque Terre. Am sure there are plenty of other "base" locations that can offer good day trips. FYI we rented a car for our time at the villa in Greve-en-Chianti. In Florence and Cinque Terre we did not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
+1 for renting a villa in Tuscany.
We spent 2 weeks in one outside Sienna and explored only some of the surrounding villages and towns, and Sienna rewards repeated visits. We walked everywhere for half our stay and rented a car for the other half.
Finish off with 3-4 nights in Venice

Another vote for Tuscany. I have not walked the TMB, however I've spent some time in Italy.
Florence is a fantastic place and deserves a few days, same as Venice. Then it's up to you and your schedule if you have time to rent a vila and visit some other cities, but even if you focus in Florence and Venice, you won't feel like your time was wasted. There is SO munch to see there.

(And for the love of god, the food... it's marvellous.)

Sam_Sillaman,

For more information re the TMB check out the various posts by those who have walked the route and others who dream of the mountains on this earlier thread.

This may be the best site for planning your own way.

Happy dreaming /planning to you both.
Thank you, Margaret
My wife and I are planning TMB for July 2024 and this will be very useful 👌 👍
Re OP's "dillema": I am sorry but with all Respect Due I have to completely agree with others promoting less is more.
This smacks of old-times' trips where "If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium" ... in the end it's a whirlwind and you hardly remember what you saw and where...
So what if your husband never been to Europe? Have you both been EVERYWHERE IN US? Why settle only on France, Italy & Spain, why not throw Germany, Holland, Greece and Norway for good measure? OH and don't forget The Baltic countries and perhaps Hungary....
I don't want to come across as condescending and I sincerely apologize if this sounds like it.... but just pick one place, stick to it and enjoy. If anything I bet you that after trekking TMB for almost 2 weeks you probably won't be too happy running around and doing too much sightseeing.
My suggestion would be pick a city, spend 1-2 weeks there, enjoy sites and everyday on slower pace and perhaps do a day trip or 2 out from there to something close by.
IMHO you'll feel much better in the end
Bon Chance & Bien (TMB) Camino 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

Yes to having done the TMB, it's beautiful!

As to what to do next, I'd say stay in the region. Go from Chamonix (after a few days there) and go to Annecy, enjoy the lake, bike around it, or bike down to Albertville. Train into Geneva, stroll through the old town, visit Lake Geneva, by train, or even better by paddle steamer. Go to Lausanne and Montreux by train. Walk a part of the Via Franscigena up and over the grand St Bernard and visit towns and villages (and vineyards) that date back to roman times. Walk into Aoste and enjoy italian style, food and wine, beautiful architecture and then find your way back to Courmayeur and back to Chamonix through the tunnel. Three countries in one go, public transport only. You could even do a lot of it on a bike. And you end up doing two tours around Mont Blanc and you have emmersed yourself in history, culture and gastronomy.

Hi @Sam_Sillaman, first a full disclosure 😉: I live in Europe, I've done two walking tours starting in Chamonix, one was the Tour du Mont Blanc, the other one was Chamonix to Zermatt, plus two other trips with a stop in Chamonix. The TMB was quite a while ago, I gather that it has become a lot more popular and hence crowded in the meantime. Geneva is the best airport for arrival and departure, at least imho. I'll post a link to the airport's destination map below, you can easily reach dozens of cities, towns and regions by direct flight from there. Are you considering hiring a car? Otherwise, trains get you easily to many destinations as well.

Heading down to Tuscany after finishing the TMB and seeing Florence, Pisa, and Cinque Terre. We've also considered heading over to Spain and hitting Madrid, Barcelona, and the small town I studied abroad in back in college to see some friends. I could also be swayed to do Paris and then some time in Provence.
Sounds all great to me. It really depends on what you are interested in and feel like doing during the second part of your trip. A bit of a beach holiday with some culture and gastronomy thrown in is also a possibility: the Algarve in Portugal, Sardinia, Crete come to mind, perhaps Sicily or Menorca - it's June after all. :)

Provided that the weather is good you will have enjoyed spectacular views of the French Alps. You may or may not want to consider what I did at another occasion (not immediately following the TMB): I hired an Italian Alpine guide and he walked me over the vast glacier from the Aiguille du Midi cable station in France to the Helbronner cable station in Italy, and then I took the high altitude cable car back over the glacier with more fantastic views. You are above 3,500 m, so you are higher than on the TMB. One of the best things I ever did. And the weather was fantastic. Just going up from Chamonix to the Aiguille du Midi by cable car is already a great experience in itself. IMHO of course.

Bon voyage in 2024!

Geneva map.jpg
Link: Geneva destination map

I walked the TMB in 2019. Afterwards I headed back to Geneva and then onwards to Montreux and Bern as I hadn’t seen much of Switzerland. It was lovely to just chill by Lac Leman(Geneva) and explore locally after walking the Tour. Bern is lovely to walk around. Geneva was my least favourite bit of Switzerland but it’s very easy to get to and from the airport and to other nearby places.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc...
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.