• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

anyone going to be in carrion de los condes soon? asking for a favor.

• Thread starter Former member 94614
  • Start date
F

Former member 94614

if anyone is going through carrion de las condes and has a chance to go into the church of santiago there, could you please find out the name and artist who did the sculpture of saint joseph close to the end of the exibit?

the sculpture is located close to the exit where the ticket person/gift area is located and is the right-hand figure in a 2 or 3 person grouping.

that sculpture has a lot of meaning for me but i can’t find it on line. it was part of the special exhibit they have going on as part of the celebration of saint mary. we were not allowed to take photos inside the church of that exhibit, but i assumed i’d be able to find it later, to no avail. i didn’t write down notes about it either, also assuming i’d be able to easily find it.

any help appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
someone just posted a link to some photos and now i cant find them but i think the sculpture was there! please repost?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ll be there in 10 days. I could look for you if you haven’t found out by then.
thank you! i have written to the tourism place for palencia region. however if you can get any info about it that would be great since idk what info they'll provide :). artist if known? date? where is it from?. i'd really appreciate it. there is a little gift area right after it- i believe it's the last sculpture in the exhibit. i didnt pick up a catalog or anything as obviously wouldnt want to carry it! it's a great exhibit that actually starts in the other church you hit when walking into town. buen camino!

if anyone is going through carrion de las condes and has a chance to go into the church of santiago there, could you please find out the name and artist who did the sculpture of saint joseph close to the end of the exibit?

the sculpture is located close to the exit where the ticket person/gift area is located and is the right-hand figure in a 2 or 3 person grouping.

that sculpture has a lot of meaning for me but i can’t find it on line. it was part of the special exhibit they have going on as part of the celebration of saint mary. we were not allowed to take photos inside the church of that exhibit, but i assumed i’d be able to find it later, to no avail. i didn’t write down notes about it either, also assuming i’d be able to easily find it.

any help appreciated!
Peregrin peregrina, YouTube has a short video at this link:

The description is in Spanish, as follows:

LUX - Las Edades del Hombre en Carrion de los Condes​

611 views Jul 8, 2021 El pasado 29 de junio se inauguró de manera oficial #LUX, la vigesimoquinta edición de Las Edades del Hombre, en la que la localidad palentina de Carrión de los Condes comparte sede con las localidades de Burgos y Sahagún.

LUX se plantea como un proyecto territorial que recorre las tres provincias castellano y leonesas por las que transcurre el Camino de Santiago Francés, y tres acontecimientos justifican su complejo formato: la celebración de Año Santo Jacobeo, la conmemoración del VIII centenario de la Catedral de Burgos y la XXV edición del proyecto “Las Edades” en sus 33 años de existencia.

Partiendo de Burgos, donde se aborda el origen y sentido de las catedrales, el relato tiene como hilo conductor la figura de la Virgen María, presencia constante por las advocaciones marianas de muchas de las catedrales y de multitud de iglesias, ermitas y monasterios que jalonan la Ruta Jacobea.

En Carrión de los Condes, las iglesias de Santa María del Camino y de Santiago desarrollan tres capítulos de LUX: “Ave Maria”, “Tota Pulchra” y “Virgo et Mater”, con medio centenar de grandes obras del arte de Pedro Berruguete y su hijo Alonso Berruguete, Alejo de Vahía, Fernando Gallego, Diego de Siloé, Felipe Vigarny, Juan de Valmaseda, Ortiz El Viejo o Gregorio Fernández, además de otras muchas medievales de una gran importancia artística, religiosa y devocional.

The last paragraph above, appears to address your question. Per Google translate:

In Carrión de los Condes, the churches of Santa María del Camino and Santiago develop three chapters of LUX: "Ave Maria", "Tota Pulchra" and "Virgo et Mater", with fifty great works of art by Pedro Berruguete and his son Alonso Berruguete, Alejo de Vahía, Fernando Gallego, Diego de Siloé, Felipe Vigarny, Juan de Valmaseda, Ortiz El Viejo or Gregorio Fernández, as well as many other medieval figures of great artistic, religious and devotional importance.

Edited to add: The sculpture you reference appears to be one third of La Sagrada Familia. Here's a link to a similar one, but clearly not the one you reference:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
that was very helpful! thank you so much! the sculpture is the very first photo- the figure on the right! do you know anything else about that sculpture by chance?
This is what I found so far:

The sculpture is known as "La Sagrada Familia". It is a work by a sequidor (a follower) of Gregorio Fernández who created a very similar sculpture in 1620, so I guess this group is from the same period. You find more information when you enter this exact sequence into Google search: "Sacrada familia" "Gregorio Fernandez". According to Wikipedia, Gregorio Fernández was a Spanish Baroque sculptor who was born in Sarria and lived later in Valladolid where he had his own atelier.

Quote from one website (translated): Of special interest is the figure of Saint Joseph, in which Gregorio Fernández establishes a prototype that would be continued in later representations of the Holy Family as well as in free-standing Joseph figures, always presenting the patriarch as a relatively young man with the appearance of a vigorous Castilian peasant.

I now remember having read that in earlier art, for example in Romanesque art, Joseph was depicted as an old and not very active or vigorous man, often even asleep or standing in the background. So this is quite a different view of the Holy Family.

Last edited:
A bit more: The sculpture in the exhibition in Carrion de los Condes is on loan from the Museo de Arte Sacro San Antolín in Tordesillas which is not far from Valladolid. It is a church that has been converted to a museum of sacred art. The sculpture is from the school of sculptor Gregorio Fernández.

http://artevalladolid.blogspot.com/2020/10/el-grupo-procesional-de-la-sagrada.html - scroll down to ANÓNIMO VALLISOLETANO. Sagrada Familia (ca. 1650-1655). Museo de San Antolín, Tordesillas

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The sculpture is known as "La Sagrada Familia". It is a work by a sequidor (a follower) of Gregorio Fernández who created a very similar sculpture in 1620
What I did not know then but learnt in the meantime: the motif for this and similar sculptures and paintings from the Baroque period (17th century) is not so much the Holy Family but the Holy Walk - the German expression for this, namely Heiliger Wandel, is even used in English descriptions on websites.

So the staff that Joseph holds in his left hand is not seen as the staff of a Castilian peasant or shepherd but more generally as a hiking staff or walking staff.

Thank you for the question and the links in your responses. I visited this exhibition in Carrion last month and loved being able to see the works close too. It was brilliantly lit too.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back