• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue de Santa Maria in Carrión de los Condes

Natique2

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2023
I understand that many nuns have retired and the hospitalarios are leading the pilgrims in one or two songs. Additionally, I read the communal dinner is only served on Saturdays. Is this true?

Is the pilgrim Mass open to all pilgrims or only the pilgrims staying at Albergue de Santa Maria?

Thanks for your comments
Maryanne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are usually always hospitaleros there that help out. A couple on the Camino reported staying there a couple of weeks ago here on the forum, but made no mention that the sisters were absent. Pilgrim Mass is open to all. The singalong is usually in the garden or in the stairwell of the albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I understand that many nuns have retired and the hospitalarios are leading the pilgrims in one or two songs. Additionally, I read the communal dinner is only served on Saturdays. Is this true?

Is the pilgrim Mass open to all pilgrims or only the pilgrims staying at Albergue de Santa Maria?

Thanks for your comments
Maryanne
I was at the singalong last week with four nuns and many pilgrims from both the albergue and other lodging. There was an introduction for each pilgrim, and several even played songs on the guitar that everyone tried to join in. After, at the pilgrim mass, the nuns passed out a small gift after the pilgrim blessing. It was lovely…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sounds like a rumor started by a pilgrim who expected nice singing nuns and found just some boring old ordinary hospitaleros! Unmet expectations! I didn't see any nuns, so they're all GONE FOREVER!
The Augustinian Community of the Conversion is one of the most lively and growing young monastic communities on the Camino. It is alive and well, and still at working at Albergue Sta Maria in Carrion de los Condes, with help from volunteer hospitaleros from many countries.
Sometimes the sisters go on retreat and leave the volunteers in charge. Pilgrims are still fed and housed and offered a chance to hear Mass next door. What more could they ask for?
Even singing nuns need a holiday now and then.

I was at the singalong last week with four nuns and many pilgrims from both the albergue and other lodging. There was an introduction for each pilgrim, and several even played songs on the guitar that everyone tried to join in. After, at the pilgrim mass, the nuns passed out a small gift after the pilgrim blessing. It was lovely…
That’s terrific! Was it on a weekend or does this occur daily?

Sounds like a rumor started by a pilgrim who expected nice singing nuns and found just some boring old ordinary hospitaleros! Unmet expectations! I didn't see any nuns, so they're all GONE FOREVER!
The Augustinian Community of the Conversion is one of the most lively and growing young monastic communities on the Camino. It is alive and well, and still at working at Albergue Sta Maria in Carrion de los Condes, with help from volunteer hospitaleros from many countries.
Sometimes the sisters go on retreat and leave the volunteers in charge. Pilgrims are still fed and housed and offered a chance to hear Mass next door. What more could they ask for?
Even singing nuns need a holiday now and then.
If I am unable to stay with the nuns, can I still go to the sing along and the Mass?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So do you recommend staying at Santa Maria if possible? Or the Espiritu Santo and attending the blessing and Mass etc?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The sisters are from a monastery in the center of Spain. Every week, four among them come to Carrion de los Condes to meet pilgrims.
On the afternoon (6 pm if y remember), a musical time take place in the small garden, this is a great moment. As others wrote, the mass is in the church of the town, next to the albergue.
Il recommend to stay there: it is very nice welcome.

The nuns might not be there in off season maybe, but they always were when I walked by (april/june/july).

I did like the communal meal which was a bit different from other places. Instead of the hospitaleros cooking for everyone, the pilgrims were encouraged to buy something for dinner (bread, salad, fruit...) and/or to cook something from their home country.

All that was then served for dinner. It was amazing, with dishes from all over the world!

A wonderful albergue. Even if the nuns should not be there, the albergue has all one needs - beds, warm showers, a kitchen, a garden to hang clothes to dry, and a church, a baker, and a shop with outdoor/hiking gear next door, as well as a supermarket nearby. Can't go wrong with staying there!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.