• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone want a scallop shell dress?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Maybe this will get the award for the strangest post of the day, but it is for real. I recently donated most of my professional work clothes to a center for women in transition, since I am more or less retired. Way in the back of my closet was a dress from the 1980s or 1990s — that qualifies it as “vintage”, I think. I haven’t worn it for at least the last 20 years, but I could never bear to get rid of it, because once I started walking the camino, that scallop shell had meaning.

Today I was going to get rid of it, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. So if anyone would like me to send them this dress, I will be happy to mail it to you. It is hard to imagine anyone would wear it as is, it is very dated, but I know there are some very talented people out there who might remake it, deconstruct it and use the fabric for something else, etc.

It is a size 12 Liz Claiborne dress (not sure they still make that brand), a belted shirtwaist with a pretty full skirt. The size 12 is misleading, because I am the same size now as I was then, and my 1980 size 12 body now wears a size 8. That tells you something interesting about how manufacturers size things.

Hoping to find a good home for my old dress..... :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• EC8F4261-B85D-4786-BB52-645C8A2A8C50.jpeg
    EC8F4261-B85D-4786-BB52-645C8A2A8C50.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 232
  • 357397DE-0B12-428F-AB1D-690E0EB08D70.jpeg
    357397DE-0B12-428F-AB1D-690E0EB08D70.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just window shopping here... but that’s really cool. Sure it will find its way on the Camino again in some form or shape.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is a cool dress and would probably be treasured/accessorized by a younger fashionista type woman. I'm still trying to get over the fact that 80s-90s is "vintage"! ;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ooohhhhh, I'd totally wear that with a red bow belt and a bow on my hair as well! Them maybe a cream handbag and a small red-beige scarf?

Hope it goes to a good home!

Not me.;)
But I have to chime in to say that I think it's gorgeous.
Surely someone would be happy to wear it, 'vintage' or not. At this point it may be old enough to no longer look out of date but new.

I still can't get over the fact that my older girls buy clothes my Grandma would have worn. If I put on jeans and a peasant shirt they call me frumpy - but in my mind those polyester dresses with a matching belt around the middle are what I steer clear of for that very reason!
It's just as well I didn't see this post earlier today or I'd have been chopping that fabric up to make covers for my camino journals;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am impressed you are still the same size as you were 30 years ago... All that Camino walking I guess.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I want it !!!! I do lots of presentations ( some in monasteries and convents ) and I think I could wear that to look appropriate. I wear a 12, but also sew and do alterations. Let me know how you'd like to proceed. :)

Maybe this will get the award for the strangest post of the day, but it is for real. I recently donated most of my professional work clothes to a center for women in transition, since I am more or less retired. Way in the back of my closet was a dress from the 1980s or 1990s — that qualifies it as “vintage”, I think. I haven’t worn it for at least the last 20 years, but I could never bear to get rid of it, because once I started walking the camino, that scallop shell had meaning.

Today I was going to get rid of it, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. So if anyone would like me to send them this dress, I will be happy to mail it to you. It is hard to imagine anyone would wear it as is, it is very dated, but I know there are some very talented people out there who might remake it, deconstruct it and use the fabric for something else, etc.

It is a size 12 Liz Claiborne dress (not sure they still make that brand), a belted shirtwaist with a pretty full skirt. The size 12 is misleading, because I am the same size now as I was then, and my 1980 size 12 body now wears a size 8. That tells you something interesting about how manufacturers size things.

Buen camino, Laurie
Oh I get it. First I thought you meant a dress made of scallop shells...! I wondered who on earth would like to wear a thing like that...!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well I'm just curious, @peregrina2000. Did you buy the dress before you heard of the Camino? And if you did, what did you think once you realized the significance of the scallop shell? I think I would have been really taken aback and figured, this is my destiny and I'd better get going! :D

I'm glad it found a good home. :)

Well I'm just curious, @peregrina2000. Did you buy the dress before you heard of the Camino? And if you did, what did you think once you realized the significance of the scallop shell? I think I would have been really taken aback and figured, this is my destiny and I'd better get going! :D

I'm glad it found a good home. :)
I bought this dress years before I started walking the camino, probably in 1984 or 1985. In fact, I had probably stopped wearing it before I started walking (walked the first time in 2000, but I do wear clothes for a long time!). After I learned the significance, I just pushed the dress to the back of the closet and couldn’t give it up till now!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back