• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scallop Shell

Jeff63

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018, August to October 2023
I am starting my camino in Moissac (heading to Santiago de Compostela) Would I be able to buy a scallop shell before St Jean?

thanks. Jeff

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What a lovely place to begin your camino. Will you be following the French GR65 to SJPdP?

L’abbaye Saint-Pierre is exceptional and a Unesco World Heritage Site. Do visit the cloister. Surely you will se a shell in their shop.

Be sure to also stop at the Maison des Pèlerins.

Happy planning and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Seafood restaurants might give you one free.
You´d think so, wouldn´t you? But prising an empty scallop shell out of the hands of an enthusiastic waiter is not as easy as you might think - although that is how I obtained my first shell. My elder son, who then worked in a restaurant had to quietly explain to me that the shells were recycled; they buy scallops in bulk, and serve them in the recycled shells. You probably didn´t want to know that.

Inquiring minds want to know: If you are as far away from the habitat of the coquille Saint Jacques as you are when you are in Moissac and when it is August would you find a scallop shell in a local fishmonger's? And even if you would find one would it be a proper Saint James shell and from the Atlantic coast?

I've started to look for Saint Jacques scallops in recent months in a large supermarket with a seafood section that comes pretty close to a fishmonger's: All the seafood that looks like Saint James scallops had been transported without their shells and when you look at the small print you see that they are actually a totally different species and they come from surprisingly far away, for example from Alaskan waters or the Pacific. They look like the real thing though and they are tasty.

I would have confidence in @mspath's advice: Try the museum shop. And visit the abbey church and the cloister.

:cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All the seafood that looks like Saint James scallops has been transported without their shells and when you look at the small print you see that they are actually a totally different species and they come from surprisingly far away,
If authenticity is so important then why not wait until reaching Santiago and then pick one up there? The old-fashioned approach.

If authenticity is so important then why not wait until reaching Santiago and then pick one up there? The old-fashioned approach.
Well, I personally am more interested in eating Saint Jacques scallops than in carrying their shells around, no matter whether I am going there or coming back. :cool:

I waited until I reached Fisterra and had my scallop lunch there…with the scallops still attached to their original homes, so no playing shell games with my guys 🫣🤣. The server did not think it odd at all that I wished to hold on to 2 of the shells and even offered to clean them up for me to take away.

Many believe that it is necessary to acquire a shell and attach it to your pack before departing on your Camino so as to identify yourself as a pilgrim. I, on the other hand, chose to use the shell as a goal and rewarded myself with one once I had achieved my objective by completing my Camino. Even though I did not wear the shell on my pack throughout my Camino, I was never once identified as anything other than a simple pilgrim 😏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You´d think so, wouldn´t you? But prising an empty scallop shell out of the hands of an enthusiastic waiter is not as easy as you might think - although that is how I obtained my first shell. My elder son, who then worked in a restaurant had to quietly explain to me that the shells were recycled; they buy scallops in bulk, and serve them in the recycled shells. You probably didn´t want to know that.
Then, go to a decent restaurant, order Coquilles St. Jacques. Enjoy this wonderful, classic French meal, and purloin one or more half scallop shells. That is where they come from.

In SJPdP, the local restaurants provide their used shells to the local pilgrim office. Staff there drill the two holes and string them. This is as close to the historic, real deal as you will find.

The very white, bleached scallop shells sold by most souvenir places are imported and painted with a stencil of the St. James cross / Cruz de Santiago. The most "authentic" pilgrims' scallop shell would be locally sourced and unpainted. I always obtain my shells at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I’m told that the old tradition was that the shell would come to you. You’d find it on the shore, perhaps be gifted it…
Mine came with my Celebratory dinner in Santiago, after my first Camino. Definitely genuine, still attached. And a complete surprise. (It was a mixed dish). Enjoyed eating it, wrapped it, took it back to my hotel and cleaned it as best as I could. 48 hours later home in Germany I cleaned/ drilled and strung it.
3 months later it came with me on the Primitivo. Safely tucked in my pack- I’m sentimental that way.
And , when I’m on the trail?
If you can’t tell that I’m a pilgrim by looking at me, I can recommend a good optometrist…..

If you or a friend has a 3d printer you can make one

1691515574568.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I live on the Jersey shore so prior to any of my Caminos, I gather several local scallop shells. I have my grandkids from each of my 4 children paint the cross of St James upon them (and very often more than that - haha). I tie them to my backpack and they serve as a constant reminder of family.

I agree with waiting until the shell comes to you, usually at the end of your pilgrimage, since the legend is that it served as proof that you traveled all the way to “the end of the world.”

If you think you need a shell in order to identify as a pilgrim, haha, your look, and maybe smell, will leave no doubt in anyone’s mind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A beautiful place to start your pilgrimage. Moissac itself is one of my favourite places and the walk along the canal du Midi the next day and up into Auvillar is really lovely. I waled the G65 from Le Puy en Velay, starting in 2008 and it ws my first part of the Camino Frances. I have such wonderful memories. If possible make time to go and visit the cloisters.

On the Norte this past spring I had scallops (attached to the shells) for dinner at a nice restaurant. I asked the waitress if I could keep one of the five shells. She offered to wash it in the kitchen and cleaned them all for me to take.🙂

Go to the seafood department of your local supermarket and buy a few stuffed scallop shell appetizers for $2 a piece singly, or in the freezer department for around $8 for a 4 pack. Take them home, eat them up and enjoy a nice snack. When you are done, give them a good scrub, and voila, your very own personal shell. And - you can personalize it if you wish. We have painted a compilation of our state flag and the yellow arrow on our shells. It was a great ice breaker because people often recognized the flag and would call out "Team Colorado" as they approached us from behind. Have fun with your shell!

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would love to see a photo of your special "flag" if possible.🙂

This is my most recent shell that I took on the Primitivo and I included the state flag for comparison.

Attachments

• Flag_of_Colorado.svg.png
    Flag_of_Colorado.svg.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Camino Shell.jpg
    Camino Shell.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 2
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a tiny silver shell on a chain. Yes, jewelry. In keeping with a fine pilgrim tradition, though many pilgrims carried pewter badges in the middle ages. As someone said, it's a symbol.

What a lovely place to begin your camino. Will you be following the French GR65 to SJPdP?

L’abbaye Saint-Pierre is exceptional and a Unesco World Heritage Site. Do visit the cloister. Surely you will se a shell in their shop.

Be sure to also stop at the Maison des Pèlerins.

Happy planning and Buen camino.
Thank you for the tip about Maison des Pelerins. Are there other such "houses" on the way to SJPdP ?

Thank you for the tip about Maison des Pelerins. Are there other such "houses" on the way to SJPdP ?
Jeff63,
When you do get to France in the various tourist offices ask about the Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. This is a group of local people in various communities along the way who offer pilgrims hospitality and do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

Carpe diem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always get my shell off one of the local beaches here in New Zealand before I go and fix it to my pack before leaving home. This identifies me as a pilgrim. I am surprised at the number of people between NZ and SJPDP who recognise the shell and approach me to talk about the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back