• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Apprehensive now with a tinge of "uh oh"

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Dang it! I didn't think the pre-Camino jitters would happen to me. I have been planning and thinking and dreaming about this Camino walk for a year (well, actually 30 years but am just now getting around to it!) and have never felt any doubt about it. Yesterday and today I am feeling a bit panicked. What have I done? I haven't prepared myself physically for this challenge - and although there are certainly 54 year olds in a less fit state than me - I'm afraid I've set myself up for failure. :( What if my back blows out and I can't actually carry my backpack? What if my feet give out? What if my knees give out? What if I can't even get to the next town? Am I a fool to think I can do this?

I don't actually expect any response from you lovely folks. . . I'm just putting this out there to get it outside of my perseverating head. Let it GO.... let it GO....!

7 days and counting. . .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HPalola, being nervous is normal. But really, don't worry - you don't have to prove anything to anyone, not even to yourself.

Walk a bit, stop everytime you think your body needs it, don't push. If the backpack is heavy, donate some things, send them ahead by mail to Ivar's office in Santiago.

What is failure? Doing less than you expected? Maybe it's actually a victory to find out what are your powers and limits and have a better knowledge of yourself ^^

I am 33 yo, quite fit... and maaaaaaaaany times I heard the "tic-tic-tic" of other people's walking poles approaching me and passing me. Once was pretty remarkable. On the walk up to Monte do Gozo, a 80 yo German lady with a pack bigger than mine made me eat dust (I met her later at the albergue).
On the first days, I would have felt disappointed with myself for being so slow. But I learned on the first days of walk that was my pace. When she passed me, I was so grateful that God/Nature/Whatever had given that lady so much health and that I was there to see it and admire it.

And eventually I got to Santiago. You will be there too, and it's fantastic.

HPalola, like Anamya says, feeling nervous is normal! Even after walking all the way from Le Puy, I was very nervous in SJPP about climbing the Pyrenees. And I was very nervous about how I would cope with the likely June heat on the Meseta. I said this to the person in the Pilgrim Office at SJPP, and they very wisely said that the Camino is just like life.... if things happen, you make adjustments to deal with it. And she was right. If it was too hot or my ankles hurt too much, I walked shorter days. A Camino friend had excruciating knee pain, and though it wasn't in her initial plan, she took a few taxi stages so she could keep up with her husband. (And encountered nasty comments from a few pilgrims who knew nothing of her pain I might unfortunately add.) And as it happened, 2008 had the coldest June for ten years or so, and it only started getting hot when I was nearly at the end of it.
Buen Camino. Once you take your first steps, you will be on the journey, however it leads you!
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just take a deep breath, and relax. Every new stage has pre -event nerves and your reaction is very normal. Once you start on your way the camino will unfurl in front of you. I walked the North route at a similar age as you are, unfit and unprepared and had a great time. It had its high points and lows, but overall I had more fun and laughter than I'd had in years. Buen Camino!

I think that because we live in a world of such fitness-related hysteria and extremism, we forget biology's most basic principle: the human body was designed to MOVE!! :D Time to see what your body can do -- at a careful pace, of course, and according to your own abilities/limitations, but remember that we are physically capable of more than we tend to believe. On my last Camino, I walked alongside seniors of 70+, children of 10, middle-aged men with limps, the overweight, the wispy-skinny, etc -- everyone found their own rhythm and arrived safely to the albergue at the end of the day :) Just listen to your body, and if you're ever doubtful/unsure, err on the side of caution (there's never a reason to push yourself -- you know, tortoises and hares and all that ;)). Rest/air out your feet every couple of hours, stretch, stay hydrated and well-nourished, and listen to the advice of vets you meet along the way. And remember that the Camino is suuuper-developed, so at even the slightest sign of discomfort, you'll be able to find a pharmacy, supermarket, medical attention, a taxi, whatever you need. Buen camino -- enjoy your amazing experience!

Worry achieves nothing, so turn the question on its head: What if they don't? What if you develop real communication with your body and keep it from getting injured? What if you forget it is there and let your mind just coast along as a passenger on top? What if you work with your body to make it stronger and happier than it has ever been? If something goes wrong (fingers crossed it won't) you will have to deal with it, adapt, change your strategy. What if you don't have to? :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dang it! I didn't think the pre-Camino jitters would happen to me. I have been planning and thinking and dreaming about this Camino walk for a year (well, actually 30 years but am just now getting around to it!) and have never felt any doubt about it. Yesterday and today I am feeling a bit panicked
What comforts me is knowing you can back out at any stage. More easily than other scary self-challenging commitments with a point of no return, such as bungee jumping. Like bacon and eggs for a chook, involved, but not, like the pig, committed.

Worry achieves nothing, so turn the question on its head: What if they don't? What if you develop real communication with your body and keep it from getting injured? What if you forget it is there and let your mind just coast along as a passenger on top? What if you work with your body to make it stronger and happier than it has ever been? If something goes wrong (fingers crossed it won't) you will have to deal with it, adapt, change your strategy. What if you don't have to? :)
Wow. That's perfect nidarosa! That's exactly the perspective change I need to practice -- thank you for the reminder.

I'm afraid I've set myself up for failure.
You have if you cannot separate yourself from your expectations. :)

If you were just starting at the gym, you would not expect yourself to do today what is reasonable to expect in two months. You admit that you have not prepared yourself physically for the pilgrimage.

It will be an epic fail if you do not reconcile the contradictions in your post. The pilgrimage route will not change, so the change will need to be in you.

Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It will be an epic fail if you do not reconcile the contradictions in your post. The pilgrimage route will not change, so the change will need to be in you.
You are absolutely right -- and being a human full of contradictions, this reconciliation is the work that lays before me. I don't expect to reconcile/resolve it, but I do expect to work on it. Insha'allah.

Greetings from Jerusalem,

Inshalah. The U.S, Marine Corps does not have a Camino Walking Platoon. Most of us hit the Camino with our beer bellies, our lazy approach to rising in the morning, our poor eating habits, and with just enough enough self discipline to bring in the newspaper every morning. We still made it! Ponferrada is 220-30k or 140 miles to Santiago. We have walked that and much more. Go easy those first few days and enjoy the walk. Set a realistic daily goal not from a guide book but rather by listening to your body! Rest when you are tired, drink more than usual, eat if you are hungry, and rest again. Should you come to a nice place after half a day why not stop and enjoy it! No need to mush on another 2-3 hours and finish yourself off because of an unworkable plan. 250,000 pilgrims triumphantly walked into Santiago last year and claimed their Santiago document, you can too!

You can't get more of a tinge of uh-ohs than taking a 13 month old to SJPDP after tons of training, feeling confident....only to have snow so thick that even the adults are being advised not to take EITHER pass.....everyone looking at us like we were the worst parents ever.......feeling like the worst parents ever........not even being able to find a taxi willing to drive a baby through the snow to get around to Pamplona.......finally taking a four legged train journey to get to Pamplona........then planning to start walking from Pamplona but now questioning every decision. We were, by this poing, 90% confident we were going to abandon the whole thing just days after being 90% confident.

But we decided to walk one day.

By the end of day one there wasn't a doubt. There never, really, was again.

You'll be fine.

53 and out of shape isn't bad. I've seen 70 in moderate shape finish it. I've seen 35 in straight up bad shape finish it. You can do this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm the type of person who figures out the solutions to my "what ifs" and then goes, knowing what I would do... "if."

So with that in mind:
What if my back blows out and I can't actually carry my backpack?
Take a little extra cash for bag transport. It is 5 to 6 euros per stage up to Sarria and 3 euros per stage from Sarria to Santiago.

What if my feet give out?
What if my knees give out?
Take a few days of rest and if you still can't walk, then bus or taxi each day until you're better.

What if I can't even get to the next town?
There are taxis and there will be plenty of pilgrims who will be there to help you.

Am I a fool to think I can do this?
No.
Pilgrims are often a little nervous on their first Camino.
After 3 or 4 days on the trail, you'll be an old hand and you'll wonder why you worried so much.
I promise!

Have a BUEN CAMINO!
Annie

What an amazing forum this is. . . and you all are quite impressive folk! I honestly did not expect a response from my rant this morning, but you have all given me confidence that all will be well. Or at least will be. And whatever it turns out to be -- that will be just fine. From the "don't worries" to the "bring on the pot bellies" to "leave your expectations at home" to "flip the question on it's head" to "reconcile your contradictions". . . . all of it is sage advice and I thank you! :)

Dang it?..........

I'm afraid I've set myself up for failure. :( Probably not.

What if my back blows out and I can't actually carry my backpack? Take a rest, carry less or transport your pack

What if my feet give out? Take another rest and walk shorter distances

What if my knees give out? Another rest and walk even shorter distances

What if I can't even get to the next town? Take a rest, chill out, take a taxi or bus, stay where you are and rest

Am I a fool to think I can do this? Probably not, join the endless queue of folks who have gone through the same thoughts as you

I don't actually expect any response from you lovely folks. . . I'm just putting this out there to get it outside of my perseverating head. Let it GO.... let it GO....!

7 days and counting. . .

Buen (fret-free) Camino;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dang it! I didn't think the pre-Camino jitters would happen to me. I have been planning and thinking and dreaming about this Camino walk for a year (well, actually 30 years but am just now getting around to it!) and have never felt any doubt about it. Yesterday and today I am feeling a bit panicked. What have I done? I haven't prepared myself physically for this challenge - and although there are certainly 54 year olds in a less fit state than me - I'm afraid I've set myself up for failure. :( What if my back blows out and I can't actually carry my backpack? What if my feet give out? What if my knees give out? What if I can't even get to the next town? Am I a fool to think I can do this?

7 days and counting. . .
I just read your post and swear it could have been written by myself as you have exactly captured my thoughts and fears as I get ready to push the button on my flight arrangements from Canada for first week in sept from SJP. 55 in one month, excited and know I simply must do this yet sometimes have moments of "are you crazy?!" Great reading the responses to your post - very helpful to me as well. Enjoy.

My sentiments exactly !! 53 and not actually unfit but certainly not as fit as others I will come across ... and I am okay with that. Once I made the commitment to the Camino by purchasing my ticket to Paris and then my travel to Biarritz I became much more content with my decision.

This is my Camino, at my pace, doing it as only I can do it. I have had friends who have done the Camino insist that I am wrong to stop for the day at Orisson yet that is what my heart is telling me to do, so I shall. I cannot imagine I will regret that decision however I can imagine I might regret pushing myself to Roncesvalles. Most of all just enjoy the experience as you need to for you.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

7 days and counting. . .
First of all - Calm down! It will be fine. You can JacoTrans your pack ahead every day for as little as 7EU - easy - I did from Roncesvalles to Burgos when I felt strong enough to start carrying it - just planned ahead every day, decided where to stay and had the Albergue or hostel or hotel call and book for me. Foot care is important and was a huge issue for many many pilgrims - I was lucky, no blisters. Good footwear and socks. Stopped often to remove boots and socks and taped any hot spots BEFORE they became a problem. The pharmacists are all very knowledgeable and helpful. Enjoy. Buen Camino

7 days and counting. . .
I am having some thoughts as well, I am physically prepared (walked at least 18 miles five times with my pack in varied conditions) It's going at it alone through Portugal that is getting at me. Just be mindful of what is going on with your body so you won't get heat stroke. HYOH as we say in the states and that means hike your own hike. I have found that changing socks 2-3 times a day on the 18 miles and more will help keep your feet drier and reduce blisters---wool socks like smart wool. Using trekking poles will help your back tremendously! BELIEVE that you can!!!!!!!! Buen Camino

I think we all share the same concerns at the start, but you will soon get into a routine and learn to listen to your body about when to stop, when you need help and when you need to get your bag transferred. You will also meet wonderful people who will help you every step of the way if needed. Age and fitness is no real barrier to enjoying and finishing your camino. Enjoy (and walking poles certainly do help).
Buen Camino

7 days and counting. . .

Hi, I know exactly how you feel! That was me 2 years ago. I could hardly sleep. The jitters come from adrenaline! The uh oh from fear of the unknown. You can't know till you know!

It's a bit like having a baby, everyone's experience is similar but different, once you're pregnant that baby has to come out! You're committed to go and you will have a great reward at the end of it and a truly amazing adventure! I for one am glad it's a little difficult otherwise everyone would do it.

You're not a fool, you can do it and we all wish you well and a safe camino.
Sarah

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Hi HPalola

I spent many tens of years plucking up the courage to walk my Camino. When the day of departure came two good
friends almost had to drag me to the railway station to start my journey. It's a bit like starting on a roller coaster.
There's bound to be apprehension. It wouldn't be worth doing if there wasn't ( Sometimes we can mistake excitement
for nervousness. )

I'll add two quotes to what's already been written. When I first read The Imitation I came across the phrase "Sufficient
for the day is the need thereof". Thankfully I was given a different translation which had "For today, today's troubles
are enough." We spend a lot of time worrying about things which don't happen. Having a plan for eventualities is fine.
( People have offered you plans on here, such as using Jacotrans. ) But don't let these as yet unfulfilled eventualities stop
you from setting out. As likely as not, they'll remain unfulfilled eventualities. For today, today's troubles are enough.

As for failure. Those who risk nothing, those are the real failures. As Teddy Roosevelt said "The credit belongs to the
man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood. ..... if he fails, at least he fails whilst daring greatly".
Get yourself out there and if you fail.... fail with pride. Don't reach the close of your life thinking "if only".

Having said all of that, watch out for the bears. And packs of wild dogs, And poisoned water fontsains. And those dodgy
top bunks which collapse in the night. And the lightening strikes. .......

Hope this has helped calm the nerves. :)

Buen Camino !

I love reading all these posts. I too had my first case of the jitters. Bought my plane tickets today so I'm committed to this journey. Yay!!!:D I am 56 and have had my fair share of injuries over the years. I have finally learned to listen to my body and not push through the pain. Only recently have I learned to ask for help if I need it, instead of trying to tough it out.

This camino is personal journey for all of us and we have nothing to prove to anyone but ourselves. So I am hoping that I truly do listen to my body and not be hard on myself if I need to rest or catch a bus or taxi...

I am so lucky that I have received help from friends and family enabling me to take the time to do this trip. Without them I wouldn't be able to embark on this adventure. And thank you to all that post questions and responses because they are a huge help for those of us going for our first time!!

7 days and counting. . .
What if....what if....what if.... nothing to fear but fear itself, greatest enemy. How about an attitude of "I will do my best and deal with whatever comes my way", a bit of flexibility and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! Buen Camino :)

As one who was somewhat overweight, unfit and falling apart prior to departure............

Just Go............. And Deal with it :) Everything is solvable once you are there.... A few other people have been before you..............and survived ;)

Within the first hour of walking you'll wonder what all the angst was about!

Hello HPalola,
Hey, I turn 54 this month and went through my "jitter attack" just recently too. I got into a panic with all the same worries that you and others have had. Then, a marvelous thing happened and a wave of peace settled over me. My mind hit its limit and said to my panic, "So what?!"

I am going on Pilgrimage, and the physical travel from point A to point B does not matter any more. My reasons for walking The Way are to expand my mind and calm my spirit. In many ways, that has already happened during all the preparations. I have lost weight with my training, am now prepared to get by with one change of clothes, have set my mind to be accepting of what avails itself with regard to accommodations and foods, and am definitely getting a stronger feel for my own spirituality, even before starting the trek. I am ALL IN. If my Pilgrimage lasts only the first day, so be it. It was worth it. If longer, then I plan to see each day as a gift.

HPalola, you will have an incredible time! It will be life-altering. Enjoy each beautiful day of your Pilgrimage with all its surprises. Mooncat

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started to panic reading some of the posts talking about equipment and what you MUST have and don't have to have, can have, might have, need to have ..... it was exhausting me and I was starting to get anxious because my Camino has to be done on a budget and I just couldn't see how I was going to afford special shirts and shorts and pants and underwear and socks and hats and poles and bags to hold this and bags to hold that, rain ponchos and and and.

So, I took a deep breath. Decided that I NEED only what I decide I need and if, dear god, my pack is 350 grams heavier because I chose not to buy a lighter technical shirt that was going to cost me a pay check or I get a bit wet in the rain then so be it. I decided that many have walked with less than ideal equipment and clothing and while I want to be comfortable I can also tolerate a bit of discomfort, and perhaps SHOULD tolerate a bit of discomfort to keep myself mindful of why I embarked on this journey.

I now own MY Camino, I am happy and looking forward to the start of my wonderful holiday in August.

If you would feel what you are feeling this journey would not be the same. This is part of your experience and will make it what it will become. You must believe that everything that will happen on this magic raod, is meant to happen and will bring you something. Attitude will dictated how you will mould it. Like an olympic race at the start line... he is super nervous as well. One step at a time. You will surprise yourself. Having said all of this, make sure you pack light and have good shoes. The rest is your story, your journey. It will be a wonderful one in its own way. Enjoy my friend, enjoy.

Dan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am also feeling some pressure! I bought my walking shoes last night. I will test them this weekend. I have borrowed a backpack and walking poles from a friend, and will try to do the same for a sleeping bag, and anything else I can scab from my mates. I have been saving money, but do not have nearly as much as I had wanted. Instead of getting 2 pairs of zip off pants, I have enough money to buy 1 pair.... and so it goes on. I am going to rely on kindness before, during and after the walk to acquire many of the things I need, and I hope that I can pay this back to people I meet along the way. I think people are generally good, and given the opportunity to do good - they will.

Hello HPalola,

I leave in August and have been on this forum for many many weeks. I am 53 with health issues BUT they are manageable.
My friend is currently walking the camino and her stories of the early days have me really scared BUT as people say here:
ONE STEP AT A TIME! At your own pace!
I have dreamed of this for years. I have back and heart issues but i am doing regular exercise and all is good. I am not racing anyone, or trying to match anyone's pace....that is not the Camino I want or dreamed about.

I have been walking with a light weighted day pack, easing into it slowly. This week I have walked 10.5 Km, 13.3 Km, cycled 35 Km, and today I walked 17 Km with my poles (huge help).
I am VERY sore but I feel good. Lots of training to go, but

ONE STEP AT A TIME! Buen Camino!

7 days and counting. . .
You'll be fine and if you're not the people on the camino will look after you. They did me when I was sick for three days. It'll be hard and it'll be grand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did my first Camino at age 67, with a bad knee (I had it replaced when I got home), my girlfriend lost 10 toenails, and we made it ! Don't worry the support system is there and the human kindness exhibited by all Pilgrims is unbelievable. Relax and enjoy, you are NOT alone.

I will relate this story of my Camino. We had a nurse who was walking alone, and became very ill and had to be hospitalized. A fellow Pilgrim she had been walking with stayed three days with her until she was released from the hospital. Prior to the Camino, they did not know each other !

Buen Camino

Dave

I have read many posts and threads in this forum. They have all been helpful but this one really hit home at this time. Jitters come from the fear of the unknown. That is why we ask so many questions. As in life, we like to be prepared but 'stuff' happens. Toilets overflow, you crash your car, or unfortunately, family and friends die. Things that are unexpected but must be dealt with. Many times I have heard the camino is like life, things present themselves and you deal with them as they come. In the end, things work out.
I will do CF in September and have many doubts. Am I fit enough? Can I survive away from wife and kids for 5 weeks ( or can they survive without me! ) , should I start in Pamplona or SJPDP? The list goes on.
You want all the right answers but I guess the answers will come once you get there and start out. Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

Buen Camino

HPalola, being nervous is normal. But really, don't worry - you don't have to prove anything to anyone, not even to yourself.

Walk a bit, stop everytime you think your body needs it, don't push. If the backpack is heavy, donate some things, send them ahead by mail to Ivar's office in Santiago.

What is failure? Doing less than you expected? Maybe it's actually a victory to find out what are your powers and limits and have a better knowledge of yourself ^^

I am 33 yo, quite fit... and maaaaaaaaany times I heard the "tic-tic-tic" of other people's walking poles approaching me and passing me. Once was pretty remarkable. On the walk up to Monte do Gozo, a 80 yo German lady with a pack bigger than mine made me eat dust (I met her later at the albergue).
On the first days, I would have felt disappointed with myself for being so slow. But I learned on the first days of walk that was my pace. When she passed me, I was so grateful that God/Nature/Whatever had given that lady so much health and that I was there to see it and admire it.

And eventually I got to Santiago. You will be there too, and it's fantastic.
Excellent reply !it can be very easy to find yourself trying to keep up with people i found very often that people that passed me often slowed down later so we still ended up meeting up being sometimes a day or so later,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings from Jerusalem,

Inshalah. The U.S, Marine Corps does not have a Camino Walking Platoon. Most of us hit the Camino with our beer bellies, our lazy approach to rising in the morning, our poor eating habits, and with just enough enough self discipline to bring in the newspaper every morning. We still made it! Ponferrada is 220-30k or 140 miles to Santiago. We have walked that and much more. Go easy those first few days and enjoy the walk. Set a realistic daily goal not from a guide book but rather by listening to your body! Rest when you are tired, drink more than usual, eat if you are hungry, and rest again. Should you come to a nice place after half a day why not stop and enjoy it! No need to mush on another 2-3 hours and finish yourself off because of an unworkable plan. 250,000 pilgrims triumphantly walked into Santiago last year and claimed their Santiago document, you can too!
dont just like your reply but LOVE it !!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back