• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking with a tent

livii

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances in June
Hi Guys, I will be hiking the camino frances starting in June. Who has already done it with a tent?

I have read that other people asked in albergues for permission and put up their tents in the gardens. Can you give me some advice in this area? Do most of the albergues have a suitable garden?

I plan on taking my son along and he would be more comfortable in a tent than whith (for him) strangers in a dorm. And he cant fall out of the (bunk)bed. And the possible danger of the albergue being full is also a prospect I am afraid to face when arriving exausted whith my youngster.

Therefore my idea was to sleep in the tent most of the time (no wild camping, but next to albergues and I would have to use the baggage transport probably). Can anyone advise me?

Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While SOME albergues have the space and would allow that, most would not as they are located in the towns/villages and do not have space or permission for tent camping. Allowing pilgrims to sleep outside the building is problematic since you’d need access to the bathrooms inside and that’s usually not possible on a 24/7 basis.

Luggage transport may be a problem, too, as you really won’t have a defined place you will be staying each night, so pickup/drop off may not be possible.

As for your son, there are a variety of accommodations on the CF, including private rooms and ones without bunk beds. Tent camping means having to carry additional weight (sleeping bags, cooking tools) that further complicates your pilgrimage. The CF may not be the route for you if that is how you prefer to walk.

I have camped on the Camino Frances with a tent because of MCS.
I'm happy to give you some info if you want to PM me.
I have a list of dedicated camping spots you can check on ahead of time, as well.
The list is old, but some of the spots may still be there.
I think this will take some planning but can absolutely be done.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Most replies you get will most likely be from people who have never camped along the Camino.

It is not a very common thing to do, so most will advise against it without actually having personal experience.

I've brought my tent and have actually used it on the Camino Francés.

Since I also love the albergues, I haven't only slept in the tent, but I do have some experience camping along the Francés at least.

From that I'd say it is difficult to sleep every night in the tent without wild camping, but it is very possible to sleep at least part of the Francés in a tent, legally.

There are ~20 official campgrounds on/close to/ not too far from the Camino, plus a few albergues that allow tents.

Campgrounds are not cheaper than albergues, but more ore less the same you'd pay in a private albergue.

June is a good time. Not too busy, not too hot, not too cold, campsites open.

I've got a list with offical campsites on the Francés or close to the Francés. I could also send you some info about albergues that might allow camping in their gardens (via pm or e-mail).

Many albergues have wonderful gardens but will still not allow camping, even if you offer to pay the same amount as for a bed, for whatever reasons.

Some will allow a tent for same or reduced fee.

Some will allow sleeping in the garden without a tent for same fee as a bed (works well in good weather).

So, if you need information, just ask. I'll try to answer. I'll hopefully walk a section of the Francés again this spring and will bring my tent again, so I'll update my list a bit then.

Photo:

Camping next to the ancient Roncesvalles Albergue

Edit: Last walked the Francés / parts of it with tent 2022. Slept in tent for example in: St. Jean, Roncesvalles, Puente la Reina, Estella, los Arcos, Carrion de los Condes, Castrojeriz, Sarria, Portomarin, Arzua, Santiago...

Attachments

• 7uvcy26gcjveu.jpg
    7uvcy26gcjveu.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Tent camping means having to carry additional weight (sleeping bags, cooking tools) that further complicates your pilgrimage.

A sleeping bag is recommended to bring, anyway. Even without a tent. So, no extra weight (or only a little, at least in summer, for a slightly warmer bag than you'd bring for indoor use)

And cooking equipment is not needed if you stay in official campgrounds or albergue gardens (you can still use restaurants and kitchens). So, again, no extra gear needed. Even if you'd wild camp (which I don't recommend), you can still use the many cafés ect. along the way and don't need cooking tools!

On the Francés I use the albergue kitchens, or go to the restaurants / use the communal meals just as any other pilgrim who sleeps indoors!

My extra weight is 300g for the sleeping mat and 1500g for the tent.

There are even more lightweight tents, also cheap ones, with only half that weight (mine is old but still good so I didn't replace it yet).

Many pilgrims I met had heavier packs than I did, without any camping gear...

Last edited:
hi Livii, could you tell us more about your son? what is his age for instance?

reading your post, I was wondering if you weren't packing your fears as the saying goes.

- you worry that your son will have trouble sharing a dorm with strangers ~many people have the same worry because most are strangers to one another. usually this works out well. another option would be to sleep in hostals or private rooms.
- you worry that your son might fall out the upper bunk bed ~a reasonable worry in case of a small child. if and when it happens that he gets assigned an upper bed, negotiate and ask for a different solution. or make a reservation beforehand, stating that you need two lower beds. usually this works out well too.
- you worry about arriving late with an exhausted youngster and finding the albergue full ~make reservations, walk shorter stages, take a taxi and do not drag the kid along. this does not sound like fun at all.

as others have already explained, doing the camino with a tent poses its own challenges. if you love camping, please go ahead! but from what you write I am not entireley convinced that this is the case.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked for the last 2 weeks with some friends who had a dog, and we're therefore mostly camping. The majority of Albergues would not allow camping on their property.

Have had served at several albergues when we had children (infants up through high schoolers). Not much issue although sometimes parents are tired and younger children still want to play! Important to make sure the child respects the space of others and does not play loudly or talk loudly in the dorms. Otherwise enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good point. I'm guilty of this and so I deleted my comment.

Ah, all fine... You're of course still allowed to voice your opinion on this! Sorry if my reply seemed too harsh maybe. Nothing wrong with your comment (or other comments from people who do not camp, personally). :) It is always good to see things from different perspectives!

With so few forum members who tent camp I just wanted to make clear that opinions on this matter can be very different depending on whether one has actually camped or not.

Hi Guys, I will be hiking the camino frances starting in June. Who has already done it with a tent?

I have read that other people asked in albergues for permission and put up their tents in the gardens. Can you give me some advice in this area? Do most of the albergues have a suitable garden?

I plan on taking my son along and he would be more comfortable in a tent than whith (for him) strangers in a dorm. And he cant fall out of the (bunk)bed. And the possible danger of the albergue being full is also a prospect I am afraid to face when arriving exausted whith my youngster.

Therefore my idea was to sleep in the tent most of the time (no wild camping, but next to albergues and I would have to use the baggage transport probably). Can anyone advise me?

Thank you.
A son who doesn't like a bunk bed? He's not ready or possibly you're not?

I've used a tent on the Camino for years, and I always carry one still (or a tarp) when I go, though I tend to use abergues more now. During COVID I camped exclusively for 1,500 km as everything was closed. I've camped in -5 and 40°.

It's a great way to enjoy the Camino and has many advantages ... Solitude, being in nature, challenge. When the albergues are full it's a life-saver.

I never used a campsite or an albergue garden, I always wild-camp. It's easy and it's fun. I've never had a problem with a landowner or the police. Never. I choose a spot before dark, go to a cafe until dusk, set up before nightfall, show no light, get up just after dawn, leave before full daylight. Leave no trace. It's wonderful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On my first Camino in 2008 I walked with my brother and we both carried tents. We camped in the rough on a hill top outside of Los Arocs. This was interesting because we came across old foxholes positioned to overlook the town and crossroads, I assumed they were from the civil war. We then stayed in a camp grounds in Najera. I dropped out in Burgos and my brother went on and camped several times afterwards.
It is frowned on to camp in the rough in Spain and I believe illegal.
I have not carried a tent since!
In 2011 meet a young German woman how was camping along the way and would be directed to setup in the town park or the church grounds. With these options you are exposed to whatever the town or village is celebrating or doing at all hours of the night so it was not always peaceful. At a campground in Castrojeriz it was cheaper to stay in their bunk room then to pitch a tent.
Times have changed and so have the rules I am sure.

Thank you.

How old is your son?

I haven't camped on a Camino, so take this for what it is worth (although I did sleep in a campground once on Camino). I note that you say you aren't planning on wild camping but rather on camping in campgrounds and next to albergues with permission. From what I'm reading above, that can reduce the number of nights you would need to sleep in an albergue (or hotel or hostal or casa rural) but likely not cover every night of your Camino. You also say that you are planning on shipping your bags ahead. That might reduce the number of nights you can camp, as there may be some albergues that would allow you to camp on their grounds but aren't ready to receive your shipped bags.

I'm not sure how a fear of albergues being full necessarily leads to camping if you are avoiding wild camping. It seems to me that it more likely leads to reservations (something you would be doing already if sending your bags ahead). Presumably the places you can legally camp can also fill up.

It may certainly be possible to do your Camino without staying in an albergue dorm, camping and finding private rooms where campgrounds are not available (I will take this opportunity to mention that many albergues are now offering private rooms at reasonable prices as well as dorms - something else you may want to consider). And I certainly don't know your son as well as you do. But I have met a number of children on Caminos (and teenagers) who surprised their parents with how well they adapted to albergues.

All of which is to say, camping can be done. But likely not everywhere. And if you are being driven by the reasons you state, and not an inherent love of camping, it may not be the only way to meet your needs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As long as you're respectful guests, most albergues should allow tenting with permission. It's a sound plan given your son. Wishing you both a memorable Camino!

Most people who haven't done a Camino find the idea of sleeping in an albergue a bit bizarre; sleeping in a room full of strangers seems a strange thing to do and triggers all kinds of negative cultural reactions. Young people are often very sensitive to issues of privacy. But it turns out that this weird practice is one of the joys of the Camino, for reasons I still can't fathom . . . the discovery that strangers are actually very nice people and that losing inhibitions centred on status and shame feels like a liberation for the spirit.
Also, it fits in with the deliberate humiliation of our prideful sense of self and the embracing of suffering and austerity that makes the Camino a spiritual journey in the widest sense.

So the OP's son may experience this. But he will almost certainly experience another of the joys of Camino: the way young people meet each other and have so much laughter and fun in each other's company. This is a delightful thing to see, the groups of young pilgrims having such a great time together. I think once he's gotten over the initial shyness he'll have the time of his life.

As for camping, other than in the big cities there is literally no instance in which a good campsite can't be found within two km of any of the towns and villages on the Camino. In my extensive experience no-one cares about wild camping, neither the cops nor the farmers.
So the OP could settle in to a room or a dorm while their son camps a km or so out of town, meeting for breakfast. A camino with one's son, what a happiness ☘️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But it turns out that this weird practice is one of the joys of the Camino, for reasons I still can't fathom . . . the discovery that strangers are actually very nice people and that losing inhibitions centred on status and shame feels like a liberation for the spirit.
Also, it fits in with the deliberate humiliation of our prideful sense of self and the embracing of suffering and austerity that makes the Camino a spiritual journey in the widest sense.
So true. For me it was one of the biggest parts of the Camino the albergues and everything they entailed, good and bad. The humble lessons you learnt about tolerance, the people you met that otherwise wouldn't, the impromptu chats, meals drinks, and the hospitality - you will not come close to getting this anywhere else.

When I started my Camino I went thinking I'd probably do 50/50 albergues/hotels as I was worried whether I would cope with the albergues and all they entailed, but felt I at least needed to try. I never slept in a hotel.

An important part of the Camino is being open, and sometimes the things you think you might find the most uncomfortable are where you will find the most comfort ultimately - Camino lessons.

Attached is a PDF with the list of the campsites along the Francés that I know of. I've only stayed at some of them, though, and that was back in '22.

So, if anyone has personal experience with the campsites to share, like additional info or errors, please let me know, I'll update the list then. Just send me a pm.

If all goes well I'll walk for two weeks again this spring, so hopefully I can add a bit more information / give updates then.

Attachments

• Camino frances camping list english.pdf
    489 KB · Views: 21
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Guys, thank you all so much for your helpful replies. This helped me a lot.

My son will turn six, maybe I sould have written that right away. In new situations and with people he does not know he is a little bit shy and fearful. Therefore I am not so sure how he will take dorms with other people walking around while he is sleeping in a bed some distance away from me. But hopefully he will get used to it like some of you write or we will find some quiet corners in a dorm where he is not so exposed.

I personally can imagine that albergues really complete the Camino experience. I just dont want my son to endure fears.

I guess we will have to do a mix of all the options, like camping when it is possible or when the albergue is full or unsuitable and maybe smaller dorms with a fall-out protection that I will have to take along. Otherwise he would just roll out of bed at night, bunk or not. And I will make reservations one day before when possible.

I hope that I wont have to do wild camping but if the situation in high season (july/august) is like it has been described in other posts maybe there wont be any other option... I hope it does not come to that.

As backround information: We will take our time on the camino and will walk only 10 - max 15 km per day.

Thanks again!

You should be able to find private rooms either in pensions or albergues.
You can bring a sleeping mat for him to sleep on the floor if he will fall out of a regular bed.

Otherwise he would just roll out of bed at night, bunk or not.

There are a few albergues that don't have beds at all, but only mattresses on the floor. Those are for example the parroquial albergue in the church of Granon and the parroquial one in Tosantos. I think the parroquial one in Logrono has one room with mattresses instead of bunk beds, also.

The albergue Jésus in Villar de Mazarife has a roofed balcony with mattresses on the floor. In the Cacabelos municipal I also slept on the floor outside (in good weather). Ect. There are many options.

You can always ask to use your sleeping mats, which you'll need for camping anyway, for sleeping on the ground. If you explain the issue, there might often be a solution.

When you book private rooms you can also roll out the sleeping mats and "camp" inside. I've done that a few times on a longer walk when I was so used to sleeping in my tent that rooms with beds felt weird.

You don't say which part of the Francés you'll walk. Summer is usually only very busy from O Cebreiro onwards, but much more quiet before. I've walked several times in summer from St. Jean and never had an issue getting a bed (just avoid Pamplona during San Fermin).

You still have a lot of time to do more research. Maybe you'll find out that there's less to worry about than you think :)

Wish you two all the best!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've used a tent on the Camino for years, and I always carry one still (or a tarp) when I go, though I tend to use abergues more now. During COVID I camped exclusively for 1,500 km as everything was closed. I've camped in -5 and 40°.

It's a great way to enjoy the Camino and has many advantages ... Solitude, being in nature, challenge. When the albergues are full it's a life-saver.

I never used a campsite or an albergue garden, I always wild-camp. It's easy and it's fun. I've never had a problem with a landowner or the police. Never. I choose a spot before dark, go to a cafe until dusk, set up before nightfall, show no light, get up just after dawn, leave before full daylight. Leave no trace. It's wonderful.
Thank you for your post. I am on day two of the camino with tent and feel a bit anxious to wildcamp if it is not deep in a forest. Are your places well hidden or are you also sometimes visible on a field?

Well hidden always. The best spot for me is about one km from a village, about 100 to 150 meters from the path, in a hollow if possible, screened by bushes or trees and with good sightlines.
My tent, tarp or bivvi is green.

I use Google maps to locate likely spots using the satellite view and check them out as darkness approaches. If possible I set my tent up and eat at dusk, using no light. In my experience Spanish people don't walk around in the hinterland at night, they prefer to drive and I'm usually not visible from the road. I use my head torch very sparingly or not at all. Using the phone on low light is fine.

This sounds a bit anxious but it's not, I was nervous at first but now it doesn't cost me a thought. It's great to wake in the gathering dawn with the smell of the fresh dew on earth and the song of the birds, and the sun rising. I leave in the early light and leave absolutely no trace. I don't bother with concealment.
If you camp for a week or so time changes and the day becomes a simple and harmonious cycle, walk, eat, walk, camp, repeat. The real world seems very far away. You don't feel lonely but you really enjoy people when you stay in a hostel or meet them on the road. You feel easy in yourself, you stop thinking. You stop caring about anything very much. You feel like an animal ... calm, purposeful, vigilant, detached.
You spend very little money and can feast in restaurants using the money you save.

People with dogs wild camp all the time and they use the rest spaces provided by the local council, they're hardly ever bothered. Its very handy on the Plata and Lana and there the remoteness means you're invisible. I've met CF campers who've been moved on by the police but if the police ask a camper to move they're responding to a complaint and they're very courteous. Zonas descanso seem to be accepted by all as impromptu campsites. Camping there needs no concealment. I've never heard of a camper being bothered by anyone but while I'm happy to camp in Spain and Portugal and France I'd be far more careful in the UK or in northern Europe.

I have a list of dedicated camping spots you can check on ahead of time, as well.
I think this will take some planning but can absolutely be done.
Hey!
I think this will take some planning but can absolutely be done
Hey! Im starting my Camino in a week from SJPDP with my one person tent. Im planning on camping half of the time. Since its my first camino improvisation would be my nober one place chooseing method. If you could help my with some camping advice (where to camp what to look for) or the camping place list you mentioned my journey would be a lot easyer! Thank you in advance.
Ps. I have been wild camping in europe for some years so im not a greenhorn, im only new in Spain!:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

@bnckkl

I'm walking right now with my tent.

I've uploaded a list with campsites in this thread. But could also send it to you via e-mail.

I'll update the list when I'm home again and then upload it in the ressource section.

So far, this year I've camped in Burguete (Camping Urrobi 12€??), Puente la Reina (albergue Padres Reparadores, same price as for a bed 9€), Los Arcos (Albergue Isaac Santiago 5€), Logrono (Camping La Playa), Espinosa del Camino albergue las Almas (donation, I gave 10€), Burgos (Camping Fuentes Blancas ~12,50€).

The campsite in Castrojeriz is closed at the moment. Hopefully only for renovations, but I don't know.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have seen tents at the municipal in Zubiri. I slept in my tent at the municipal in Hospital de Orbigo, I know a pilgrim who slept in the churchyard in Ventosa. Years ago, you could put a tent at San Anton. I have slept on the highway side of Ciraqui. There is a tiny park with a picnic table there. Instead of walking into Ciraqui, turn right before you get into the village and go to the highway and walk the highway. The place I stayed is on your left.
if I think of more, I will post them. I think the thing is just to stop and ask at the Albergue and if they have a yard, they may let you stay there. I also have a blog with a list of actual campgrounds. I will see if I can get that post tomorrow, but I'm working from my phone and I'm on the Camino right now.

I wild camp often, and my method of finding a good spot is this:

A couple of hours before you plan to set up, use Google maps satellite view to identify a few possible places. Trees, uncultivated land, close to the path or road for good access, far enough away for concealment. A kilometer or so from a village.

Check each out as you reach it and select a good one. Set up discreetly and mark the spot on Google maps. Go to the village and eat and drink. Then return to your campsite and settle down, showing as little light as possible. Wake early, enjoy the waking day, have a coffee, pack up, do the forensics, leaving no trace, and set off.

I've never had a problem and it's a lot of fun, and cheap as chips.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have seen tents at the municipal in Zubiri.
I asked at the municipal in Zubiri twice in different years and they didn't allow it. This year, the young man at the check in said I could sleep on the porch (has a roof) if I want to, but that it is not really allowed and that the municipality wouldn't like it - but he'd look away and pretend he doesn't know that I've asked...

Other places that I had heard before would allow a tent but excplicitly said "No" were Zabaldika and the Orden de Malta albergue in Cizur Menor.

I saw someone camp in Itero de la Vega, at the rest stop / picnic area. Also tents in La Faba at the German albergue.

Sadly my vacation time for this year is over, but I'll continue walking next year, hopefully, to further update my campsite list.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back