• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 17, 2015 - Camino de Santiago Here I Come!

L Squared

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2021)
Camino Frances (April 17, - May, 15, 2015)
The non-refundable air tickets have now been purchased so I can't change my plans. Phoenix to Madrid, April 15 returning June 3 - total of 7 weeks which should be enough if all goes well. I will arrive Madrid April 16 and bus or train to Pamplona. Then hope to do the Corizon Puro transfer from Pamplona, overnight at Corizon Puro then transfer to SJPdP. So my official start in SJPdeP will be April 17.

I ordered my pilgrim passport. I think I have everything I need but I'll post my packing list before I go. I expect to come in at around 14-15 pounds.
I've been doing quite a bit of walking so I've got Keen shoes that are working for me and my backup Teva's are also feeling great so I think my footwear should be manageable.

The only thing I've got to do is to purchase my travel insurance.

I could never have done this without the forum. I would have taken absolutely the wrong equipment and not budgeted enough time if I hadn't stumbled upon Ivar's Camino de Santiago Forum site. Thanks Ivar and thanks to everyone else.

I'll be starting this journey alone but I hope to meet lots of forum members along the Way!
Laura

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The non-refundable air tickets have now been purchased so I can't change my plans. Phoenix to Madrid, April 15 returning June 3 - total of 7 weeks which should be enough if all goes well. I will arrive Madrid April 16 and bus or train to Pamplona. Then hope to do the Corizon Puro transfer from Pamplona, overnight at Corizon Puro then transfer to SJPdP. So my official start in SJPdeP will be April 17.

I ordered my pilgrim passport. I think I have everything I need but I'll post my packing list before I go. I expect to come in at around 14-15 pounds.
I've been doing quite a bit of walking so I've got Keen shoes that are working for me and my backup Teva's are also feeling great so I think my footwear should be manageable.

I could never have done this without the forum. I would have taken absolutely the wrong equipment and not budgeted enough time if I hadn't stumbled upon Ivar's Camino de Santiago Forum site. Thanks Ivar and thanks to everyone else.

I'll be starting this journey alone but I hope to meet lots of forum members along the Way!
Laura
Hy Laura , i arrive the 17th. of april in sjpdp . Start the 18th. and walk to the alberque Orisson and sleep there.Hope to meet you during the first week . Wish you a Buen Camino .

I fly out of Seattle on April 15th. Will start walking out of SJPP on April 17th. Return flight on June 3rd. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hy Laura , i arrive the 17th. of april in sjpdp . Start the 18th. and walk to the alberque Orisson and sleep there.Hope to meet you during the first week . Wish you a Buen Camino .
Peter,
Yes I hope to meet you on the Way. Since you have booked the night in Orrison you must be expecting the Napoleon route to be open. I suppose I need to decide soon if I want to take the Napoleon route or the Valcarlos route because I would need to book a bed at Orrison if I choose the Napoleon route.
Buen camino,
Laura

I fly out of Seattle on April 15th. Will start walking out of SJPP on April 17th. Return flight on June 3rd. Buen Camino.

Robert,
You will be traveling the exact same days as I. I see this is your third Camino, all on the Camino Frances. Now I'm feeling confident that I have allotted enough time for my Camino. You must like the CF if this is the third time you are doing this route. Do you have a preference for routes out of SJPdP - Napoleon or Valcarlos? Which route out of SJPdP are you planning on taking on your April 2015 camino?
Buen camino,
Laura

I would need to book a bed at Orrison if I choose the Napoleon route.
The Forum is very "pro-Orisson," but remember that there are 43 beds there (including Kayola), so the rest of the hundreds each day walk on to Roncesvalles. It is no where near impossible; just follow the advice to take care of your feet, hydrate, and take rests.:)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You've chosen a beautiful time of year to do it. Buen Camino!

Hi Everyone,
My Wife and I (from Australia) are looking to start around May 10th from St Jean Pied De Port. We were originally going to start in April as well, but as we are travelling from so far away, didn't want to risk the chance that snow may affect the first part of the journey. Do you experienced members see snow over the Napoleon route an issue in April???

Do you experienced members see snow over the Napoleon route an issue in April???
Hi Chris. From my limited experience there was snow in early March 2012 but none in Mid-April 2011. By April I'm guessing it's fairly unusual to see really disruptive snow, but there will undoubtedly be years where winter has a last hoorah when we all think it's over! Buen Camino!
P.s. It was still passable in March 2012 despite the snow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Napoleon was closed on the 18th April 2012 when we left St. Jean so we took the Valcarlos route, at that time of year it can go either way. I would agree with falcon, the vast majority walk to Roncesvalles the first day using either of the routes, just take it nice and easy. We left St Jean at 08.20 and arrived Roncesvalles at 16.00 via Valcarlos taking several breaks along the way.
Buen Camino

Peter,
Yes I hope to meet you on the Way. Since you have booked the night in Orrison you must be expecting the Napoleon route to be open. I suppose I need to decide soon if I want to take the Napoleon route or the Valcarlos route because I would need to book a bed at Orrison if I choose the Napoleon route.
Buen camino,
Laura
Laura , i hope the Napoleon route is open it is so up there ( my wife said , she did the camino in 2013 )
Buen Camino , Peter

Now less than a month a way. I'm getting very excited to begin this journey.
I've purchased my trip insurance, rail ticket from Madrid to Pamplona and have a reservation for Corozon Puro for the night of 4/16/15. Just stitched my Camino patches onto my backpack and changed my avatar.
Just hoping for good weather out of SJPdP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've purchased my trip insurance, rail ticket from Madrid to Pamplona and have a reservation for Corozon Puro for the night of 4/16/15. Just stitched my Camino patches onto my backpack and changed my avatar.
Hi Lauren , I'am hoping for good weather as well. The napoleon route is now close. We will see in 4 weeks time.Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

p.s. also stitched my forum patch and the patch of our st.James community in Holland .

Laura
Laura -- John and I will be starting the same day as you. I hope we see you in SJPdP....or along the way. I'll have this patch on my coat:

Attachments

• Camino Forum patch.jpg
    Camino Forum patch.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Camino Blessing.jpg
    Camino Blessing.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 4
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great, I'll Be staying at corazon puro the night of April 16. I'll be driven to SjPdP early and will start walking April 17. I will not be staying at Orrison as I have not made reservations. May stay in Valcarlos. Hope to see you along the Camino. My avatar in a picture of my pack.
Laura

Great, I'll Be staying at corazon puro the night of April 16. I'll be driven to SjPdP early and will start walking April 17. I will not be staying at Orrison as I have not made reservations. May stay in Valcarlos. Hope to see you along the Camino. My avatar in a picture of my pack.
Laura
We have a few days to go before our walk to Santiago starts. I arrive in Sjpdp at about 19.30 at the 17th.The next day I walk till the albergue Orisson.
When everything is going well at the 19th. I don't stay in Roncesvalles , I walk till Auritz or Aurizberri . I wish you well and have a great walk over
the Pyrenees . Buen Camino , Peter .

Peter,
Safe travels and buen camino! I'll get to SJPdP around 8:30 on April 17. I did not make a reservation at Orrison and am planning to take the Valcarlos route. I may stay in Valcarlos or depending on how I'm doing may go to Roncesvalles. If I do stay in Valcarlos then I'll probably walk further than Roncesvalles the next day. I'm really not in a hurry and hope to stay in between the Brierly guide daily endpoints once I get used to walking. I hope to see you along the way. Look for my pack - It is a royal blue Gregory with camino patches and a yellow Picachu.
I'm getting very excited to start my journey!
Laura

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My airline changed my flights which meant that the time between flights on my layover in Newark was only 45 minutes. So changed my flight to leave 12 hours earlier. I won't arrive in Madrid any earlier but at least now I'm make my connection in Newark to Madrid with 13 hours to spare. So I'm heading to the airport to catch my red-eye in about 1/2 hours. Buen Camino and see everyone in Spain soon! Can't wait to start my journey!

Laura

Laura - It's Ning. John and I would love to take you to lunch tomorrow in Pamploma (Tuesday April 21st).

How about the Cafe Iruna on the plaza del Castillo #44 at 1?

Hope it will work for you... N

Peter,
Safe travels and buen camino! I'll get to SJPdP around 8:30 on April 17. I did not make a reservation at Orrison and am planning to take the Valcarlos route. I may stay in Valcarlos or depending on how I'm doing may go to Roncesvalles. If I do stay in Valcarlos then I'll probably walk further than Roncesvalles the next day. I'm really not in a hurry and hope to stay in between the Brierly guide daily endpoints once I get used to walking. I hope to see you along the way. Look for my pack - It is a royal blue Gregory with camino patches and a yellow Picachu.
I'm getting very excited to start my journey!
Laura
Hy Laura, at the moment i'm in Zubiri. Tomorrow I'm in Pamplona so I hope to catch up with you during the coming week , wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Laura - It's Ning. John and I would love to take you to lunch tomorrow in Pamploma (Tuesday April 21st).

How about the Cafe Iruna on the plaza del Castillo #44 at 1?

Hope it will work for you... N
p

I will see you there. - Laura

Hy Laura, at the moment i'm in Zubiri. Tomorrow I'm in Pamplona so I hope to catch up with you during the coming week , wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Peter,
Hope to see you tonight in Pamplona. I will be the slow moving pilgrim wearing a dark blue long skirt. I'm staying in the Plaza Castillo area.

Peter,
Hope to see you tonight in Pamplona. I will be the slow moving pilgrim wearing a dark blue long skirt. I'm staying in the Plaza Castillo area.
Hi Laura, we feld good today so we walked to the next town. Probably we stay for 2 days in Puenta de La Reina. Mabe I see you there. Wish you well, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.