• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2013

cpstar

Time of past OR future Camino
APril 2013
Hi
I am a 31yr old female, from Australia, planning to walk the Camino in April (2013).

I am concerned about rain. Is it likely to rain the majority of the time?

I have never trekked before, and am very much a 'luxury' traveller, so I think this may be quite an experience for me....am going to try and allow 35 days to complete the walk.

Weather, and any other tips would be most appreciated!

thanks
Caroline

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
cpstar said:
Hi
I am a 31yr old female, from Australia, planning to walk the Camino in April (2013).

I am concerned about rain. Is it likely to rain the majority of the time?

I have never trekked before, and am very much a 'luxury' traveller, so I think this may be quite an experience for me....am going to try and allow 35 days to complete the walk.

Weather, and any other tips would be most appreciated!

thanks
Caroline
Hi Caroline!

April could produce any kind of weather. Nobody can predict it, so just see what comes your way.

As a luxury traveller the albergue set-up may not exactly suit you. However I've found that a good intermediate option between albergue or single hostal room is to share a private room with like minded walking buddies. It cuts the cost, maintains the sense of being part of a group but without having to rush for showers etc.

Buen Camino!

One day of rain in April 2012 at the Camino midpoint in Leon, so I doubt you will see continuous rain. Of course, Galicia has more rain than Leon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a great and honest question for the "luxury" traveler.

As someone who only travels by backpack no matter what the destination, I have shared space with many others like you for nearly 15 years.

It is great to not only see people find the simplicities of travel quite rewarding but also wonderful for me to be shown a side of life I might be missing by not always depriving myself of being "spoiled" every once in a while. Sometimes I forget I am on vacation.

You will find a nice combination of both worlds I am sure.

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

May 2012 poured with rain as I soon I crossed the Castilla y Leon border. The rain lasted at least a week if not more but it was quite on/off. I hiked into an albergue completly sodden only twice.

Definately prepare for rain but expect anything :)

(I'm with you Simeon, I've never travelled without my backpack, it's the only way I know and I love it)

We walked the Camino in April 2010 and it only rained (lightly) on two days. Planning on walking the Camino again this year; however, I wish it was in April. Buen Camino C-rad :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having lived in Spain for eight years, I can confirm that April is looked upon as the rainy month. Last year we all had weird weather because of the Jet Stream which wasn't behaving. I had to abort a pilgrimage on the VdlP due to rain every day in early May - I was devastated. My diary and pictures are on my web site.
I'm just thinking of maybe doing the Camino Ingles this coming May, OR the Portguguese from Lisbon to Porto. Haven't made up my mind yet!
Buen camino!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Hi Caroline
I have sent you a private message which contains information which I have posted on the Forum several times before. No need to bore everyone who has already seen it but you might find it interesting, do open it and give a look. Buen Camino
S

Hi Caroline,

I am from Melbourne and walking the Camino in April (a week or 2 after Easter, haven't decide on exact date). Thanks for posting your question, I think I will go and find good rain pants just in case.

Happy preparing for your camino

C

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think I will go and find good rain pants just in case
I liked my rain pants for keeping me dry, but they became cumbersome in stop-and-start rain; it was too hot and humid to keep them on if it wasn't raining. They would have been easier to use if I did not have to take of my boots to put them on and off. That problem would be solved if you acquired pants with ankle openings that were large enough for boots. You might want to look for that feature.

G'day Caroline,
I am from WA and starting at SJPD on April 4 and giving myself 40 days. I guess our paths may cross. I am a senior. I have purchased a wind proof and rainproof jacket but that's it to keep dry. I too am unsure but I am hoping to pick up better rain protection , say an Altus once I arrive. I am concerned about extra weight.

I am trusting that the weather is similar to that told by Falcon as written above.

Cejanus

If you are happy staying in hotels there are many along the Camino Frances with comfort and history and I would not avoid staying in the Paradors especially the Monasterio San Marcos in Leon and the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos in Santiago. The Parador opposite the church in Santo Domoingo de la Calzada is also very nice and like the other two was also a pilgrim's hospital in the middle ages. In the Pyrenees (Burguete) and Pamplona you will find hotels with a Hemingway history.

Along with the luxury stops there are plenty of private albergues and cheaper hotels, inns and hostales in the smaller towns and you may find you like the bunkrooms of the albergues for the comradeship you find there.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
falcon269 said:
I think I will go and find good rain pants just in case
I liked my rain pants for keeping me dry, but they became cumbersome in stop-and-start rain; it was too hot and humid to keep them on if it wasn't raining. They would have been easier to use if I did not have to take of my boots to put them on and off. That problem would be solved if you acquired pants with ankle openings that were large enough for boots. You might want to look for that feature.

Thanks Falcon269. The pants that I tried on has a wide leg opening - I haven't bought it yet, but will bring my boots to see whether I can put them on without taking off my boots.

Hi! I'm starting my very first Camino on March 21, from Leon. I'd read that I would definitely need rain gear so I've purchased a rain jacket and pants. I guess when I get there if it looks like I might need a poncho or something, I can purchase one there. I'd also like to underscore what an earlier poster mentioned - making sure you can get your pants on over your boots. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking about my particular boots when I bought mine and though they have a zipper on the legs I simply cannot get them on without taking the boots off. As they are super lightweight and March-April shouldn't be too hot, I'm considering just putting them on any day rain is in the forecast. Will just have to wait and see. Hope you have a great Camino!

You will need gore-tex shoes/boots (or socks), gore-tex trousers and a gore-tex jacket/outershell to shield you from wind and rain. Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe so not only will you encounter rain but strong wind and cold temperatures.

Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You will need gore-tex shoes/boots (or socks), gore-tex trousers and a gore-tex jacket/outershell to shield you from wind and rain.
You need rain gear, but I have never had the need for name brand, and expensive, fabrics like Gore-Tex. There are a lot of suitable alternatives, so you may want to look for them and save your wallet!

Helpful hint for putting rain pants on and off. Bring one plastic bag that can slip over your shoe. Pull it over your shoe before sliding rain pants on. The pants go on much easier and the bag keeps the mud from your shoe from getting inside your pants. Buen Camino. We leave in May and look forward to meeting people on the walk. Gail

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Caroline.

Having just read the thread and regarding rain pants, I have just checked mine.

For your information and everyone else considering rain pants mine were made by Berghaus.

They cost me £50 quid plus and are windproof, waterproof and breathable.

The beauty about them is that they have a long zip on them.

They zip off at the bottom and the zip goes all the way up to just below your hip.

They also have five push buttons/ press studs on each leg thereby enabling you to clip them together and protecting and covering the zip from dirt when fully zipped up.

I might add that when the rain pants are unzipped you have bags of room with each leg for getting boots on or off, dirty or otherwise.

I have just checked my spreadsheet that I created at the time and the weight of the rain pants are: 384 grammes or 13.54 ounces.

For information and to give you an idea weather wise, I walked April 20th -31st May 2012.

Yes it brings it all back, walking the Meseta in the pouring rain, 10kg on my back, heavy old boots that weighed a ton …..... happy days.

Enjoy YOUR Camino – you'll have a great time.

Charlieboy.

My waterproof (breathable) trousers have no zip but will go on over my boots - weight 200gms. To avoid getting the inside muddy I turn them up inside themselves to the knee. Then pull over my boots and pull them up to be the right way out. Practise at home but it is easy once you are used to it. Pull off to go inside out.
They are great for keeping the wind out too and can be removed once it warms up.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I must have the same waterproof breathable pants as chas999, Berghaus with Gore-Tex Paclite. They have a zipper that goes right up to the hip so putting them on or taking them off is quite easy.

To avoid feeling hot and humid in your rain pants you'll want a breathable material such as Gore Tex or Event or whatever it happens to be. If you skimp and buy cheap plastic ones you will feel hot and humid in your rain paints and condensation will build up on the inside and you'll get wet -- not from the rain but from your perspiration condensing on the inside of the material. A good quality breathable material will allow that vapor to escape.

Not all breathable materials are the same so do your research and have a comfortable and "luxurious" Camino without feeling hot and humid in your rain gear!

PS It's snowing now in Paris and I'm wearing my Berghaus Gore-Tex Paclite rain pants now. Just got in from the bakery with fresh, warm bread!

gailsilb said:
Helpful hint for putting rain pants on and off. Bring one plastic bag that can slip over your shoe. Pull it over your shoe before sliding rain pants on. The pants go on much easier and the bag keeps the mud from your shoe from getting inside your pants. Buen Camino. We leave in May and look forward to meeting people on the walk. Gail

I would prefer Goretex shoes. And gaiters . Way better than plastic over your shoes. Plastic doesnot breath. And you will be wet inside.

I know goretex shoes are a bit expensive. But good walking gear is a must for walking the camino. That has been my experience in walking the camino.

Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much to everyone for the info!

I have bought specific walkign shoes that are waterproof, and will definitely buy waterproof, breathable jacket and pants before I leave!

I am really hoping for not too much rain! positive thoughts!

I am walking starting at SJPD April 10. I have been told to expect 5 days or so of rain every week during April/May. I hope the positive reports here are more correct. I am taking my Packa rainjacket/pack cover for hiking. Still debating whether or not I need rain pants since the Packa goes to my knees. My main concern is what to take for warmth. I am taking Smartwool or Icebreaker tops, but have to decide if I want a windjacket or a down jacket for evenings. The windjacket is fine in light rain, but the down is not. The down is warmer... decisions, decisions. I don't want to take three jackets!

Tickets booked for my first Camino - leaving SJPP April 3rd. Many thanks to all on this forum,the information has been brilliant.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am also walking from Le Puy in April 2013 so might see you en route. From my reading of others' experiences it seems snow is not impossible in April, particularly at the beginning of the Le Puy route.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.