• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 7 2016 getting to SJDP

RLKH

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Hi is there anyone arriving 17.05 in Biarritz on FR 372 from Stansted and travelling onto SJPP.

I would like join someone on the bus and train to SJDP. I have no Spanish and feel a bit nervous about this part.

Thanks

RLKH

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How is your French? Biarritz, Bayonne, and SJPdP are all located in France.

Your biggest problem will be getting from your plane to Gare Bayonne in time seeing as how the train to SJPdP leaves at 1806. The Chronoplus bus 14 will not get you to Gare Bayonne in time.

You might try taking a taxi to SNCF Gare Biarritz and take the 1745 train to Gare Bayonne arriving 1755. I guess it depends on how fast you deplane.

You might try taking a taxi to SNCF Gare Cambo les Bains where the train to SJPdP arrives 1833. I'd suggest writing it on a piece of paper to show the driver. I don't know if this 'plan' works.

But I'd recommend arranging for a place to stay in Bayonne and catch a train in the morning. Your timings are too tight.

Dah. Yes of course France. Currently in New Zealand so brain is on holiday.
My French should be ok. Thank you for this. I will look at this plan

RLKH

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm multi lingual in saying "hello" but outside that phrase I'm done. I arrive in Madrid very late, 11:35/2335 late, April 5; it was the cheapest. I don't know how I'm going to connect to SJPDP after that, I'll figure it out, but I'm planning to start my Camino on 7 or 8 April.
I probably sleep at the airport then make my way to the train station early morning, 6 April. I don't even know if sleeping at the airport is allowed.

I'm multi lingual in saying "hello" but outside that phrase I'm done. I arrive in Madrid very late, 11:35/2335 late, April 5; it was the cheapest. I don't know how I'm going to connect to SJPDP after that, I'll figure it out, but I'm planning to start my Camino on 7 or 8 April.
I probably sleep at the airport then make my way to the train station early morning, 6 April. I don't even know if sleeping at the airport is allowed.

Do yourself a favor and get a hotel room.

Take EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express (runs all night) from Airport to Puerta de Atocha. There are several 1 and 2 star hotels in the vicinity of Atocha station.

In the AM you can get a Renfe train from Madrid Atocha to Pamplona.

CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Pamplona to SJPdP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Iberia has a flight at 12:00 pm on April 6th and it get's you to Biarritz by 1:05 pm and you can get a train to SJPdP from Bayonne, which is nearby. The flight is around $50.00 US I think.
I spent the night in the Madrid airport once. It's hard but doable. I had about 8 hours on a layover. I figured I'd ride it out in the airport.
http://www.iberia.com/web/dispatchSearchFormIBADVS.do

Do yourself a favor and get a hotel room.

Take EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express (runs all night) from Airport to Puerta de Atocha. There are several 1 and 2 star hotels in the vicinity of Atocha station.

In the AM you can get a Renfe train from Madrid Atocha to Pamplona.

CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Pamplona to SJPdP
This is great info, thank you.
I want to swing by San Sebastian before SJPDP, is there a train from Atocha station?

Iberia has a flight at 12:00 pm on April 6th and it get's you to Biarritz by 1:05 pm and you can get a train to SJPdP from Bayonne, which is nearby. The flight is around $50.00 US I think.
I spent the night in the Madrid airport once. It's hard but doable. I had about 8 hours on a layover. I figured I'd ride it out in the airport.
http://www.iberia.com/web/dispatchSearchFormIBADVS.do
I did that at Brisbane Airport in Australia, but they have showers inside the airport so it worked out fine. I camped out with my sleeping bag just around the corner of the bathroom to wait for my flight back to US.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is great info, thank you.
I want to swing by San Sebastian before SJPDP, is there a train from Atocha station?

Most of the trains from Madrid to Pamplona leave from Puerta de Atocha. However MD trains leave from Chamartin.

All Renfe trains from Madrid to San Sebastian/Donostia leave from Chamartin.

Assuming you've obtained a hotel near Puerta de Atocha ... you can take Renfe Cercanias train or Madrid Metro from Puerta de Atocha to Chamartin.

Madrid Metro provides service from Airport T1T2T3 and T4 to Chamartin.

Renfe Cercanias provides service from Airport T4 to Chamartin.

You'd have to check with Madrid Metro and Renfe Cercanias websites to find out when they stop operating at night.

Madrid Metro
https://www.metromadrid.es/en/

Renfe and Renfe Cercanias
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

And if you do spend the night in the airport ... you might want to consider taking a bus from airport T4 to either Pamplona or San Sebastian. ALSA also provides bus service from San Sebastian to Pamplona.
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

I spent an afternoon in Madrid airport waiting for a late evening flight. The services outside the secure zone are limited and uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi is there anyone arriving 17.05 in Biarritz on FR 372 from Stansted and travelling onto SJPP.

I would like join someone on the bus and train to SJDP. I have no Spanish and feel a bit nervous about this part.

Thanks

RLKH
@RLKH I hope to see you along the Camino. I'm the Tongan looking Filipino, lol. Buen Camino

Joel

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hmmmm, might some New Zealanders be at odds with this statement? :confused::p
Hi all Thanks for your advice. I am going to stay a night in Bayonne then get the earliest train to SJPP next day. I am a New Zealander myself and just meant I was on holiday time!!!

RLKH

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all Thanks for your advice. I am going to stay a night in Bayonne then get the earliest train to SJPP next day. I am a New Zealander myself and just meant I was on holiday time!!!
Bayonne is a great town to explore. And check out the tidal river while you are there. Buen Camino. :)

@MeanPhilippine - San Sebastian is not exactly on the way to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Unless you fly it is 5, 6, or 7 hours (depending on bus or train route) from Madrid to San Sebastian, via Burgos, Logroño or Pamplona (so you actually cross the Camino Frances). It is then another 4 hours by train or bus from San Sebastian to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, via Bayonne. Assuming connections work.

If you are keen on San Sebastian, why not walk the Norte? At least you would be on the right Camino.

Maybe all that travel will not worry you but I can do without it. One reason I'm looking forward to walking the Madrid one day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back