• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Arch cramping in Astorga!

ChristineW67

Time of past OR future Camino
June "2014"
Hola!

Loving my Camino but my feet are suffering. Went thru swelling in Estrella, horrid blisters in Lagrona, and now cramping arches in Astorga. It's frustrating because my heart and mind and body (sans feet) are so into this trek.

I'm staying hydrated and have top dollar insoles and good foot wear that I practiced in for months. Yes, my pack is probably heavier than most but I carried it often before I arrived and I can't figure out what to dump. And my med kit just gets bigger each day.

I'm thinking electrolyte problem. Just picked up some fizzy tabs of potassium/mag. What do you think?

Also - how many stamps do I need each day? Is 1 good enough? I only have 24 more spaces.

Thanks for your help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ChristineW67,

Have you considered resting for a day or two while you rehydrate? Or sending your pack ahead for a few days? Many pilgrims use Jacotrans .com for this and they have a very good reputation. After Sarria you should get 2 stamps per day. If you run out of space you can always pick up another Credencial on the route.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The cramp may well be lack of salts and the electrolyte should help. The sports ones with sweetener are not as good as the 'upset stomach' ones for us. We had some rehydration salts from the farmacia which made up to a litre, when they tasted good we needed them when they tasted 'sticky, sickly' we didn't. Licking salt off your hand is a quick temporary solution too - if it tastes good you need it, if it is horrible then you don't and can just wash it off.
We found that we were more prone to cramp after the Camino, maybe because the diet was more salty there and we use very little at home. Hope the problem is soon resolved.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A heavy pack and a lack of nutrients are a fatal combo on the Camino. I agree with others: drop the weight and eat more good food (which is super challenging here I realize). The pharmacy and supermercados helped a lot for me.

Hola!

Loving my Camino but my feet are suffering. Went thru swelling in Estrella, horrid blisters in Lagrona, and now cramping arches in Astorga. It's frustrating because my heart and mind and body (sans feet) are so into this trek.

I'm staying hydrated and have top dollar insoles and good foot wear that I practiced in for months. Yes, my pack is probably heavier than most but I carried it often before I arrived and I can't figure out what to dump. And my med kit just gets bigger each day.

I'm thinking electrolyte problem. Just picked up some fizzy tabs of potassium/mag. What do you think?

Also - how many stamps do I need each day? Is 1 good enough? I only have 24 more spaces.

Thanks for your help.

I agree with all the above, a little rest, a couple days using http://www.jacotrans.com to ease the feet, not your back, check the salt. Then take it slowly,no point hurrying and then not making it. You are as far as Astorgia and you will definitely get another Credencial at the church in O Cebreiro, so don't worry. Why not take it easy till then and I don't only mean with the stamps keep your head up you can make ,Buen camino Christine!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
your 3 days behind me but I'm suffering from horrible tendinitis. I rested 3 days in astorga. first night at the main then last two at xan Javier by the cathedral. Both albergues are dives but xan had a fountain for soaking feet. There is also a bus that leaves to rabanal at like 1:30pm. So you can rest again. Before the big cross and the steep descent in el acebo. At the end of el acebo there is a new alberge something peregrino and its clean and nice.
the descent was bad so take the time to rest and maybe use jackotrans. I did $7 euro helped my tendinitis today. Tomorrow is a different story.

your 3 days behind me but I'm suffering from horrible tendinitis. I rested 3 days in astorga. first night at the main then last two at xan Javier by the cathedral. Both albergues are dives but xan had a fountain for soaking feet. There is also a bus that leaves to rabanal at like 1:30pm. So you can rest again. Before the big cross and the steep descent in el acebo. At the end of el acebo there is a new alberge something peregrino and its clean and nice.
the descent was bad so take the time to rest and maybe use jackotrans. I did $7 euro helped my tendinitis today. Tomorrow is a different story.
Very wise Tattare ,you just take things steady, take your rests before you reach Sarria then may you be blessed with the strength of body mind and spirit to see Santiago, Buen camino.

Hola!

Thanks for your help.

I think its due to overexertion. Muscle fatigue. Accumulation of lactic acid. Insufficient salt, calcium, and potassium. Insufficient hydration.

The stretch from Astorga to Molinaseca is strenuous and remote. I'd suggest you manage your cramping issues before going on from Astorga.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Christine,

I developed tendinitis in both legs (shin splints) fifteen days from St. Jean -- ironically, because I had gotten past blisters and was feeling strong in mind and body and lengthened my stride and quickened my pace. I spent three days in a hotel in Poblacion with Carmen, before busing to Astorga, where I found a pair of forearm crutches, then taking a train to Sarria, where I completed the walk to Santiago. That experience, walking through pain, on crutches, to Santiago, will a sustain me through difficult times for years to come.

This is possibly too late, but I got a new credencial in the municipal albergue in Astorga. I asked about one, and they had a good supply- just had to get all my details filled out in a book.
Margaret

Thank you all for the help! I am feeling a bit better and still trudging along. I opted out of alburgues for a few nights for a room with a bathtub and some comforts of home. It's hard to heal without a good nights sleep.

I also picked up some toe-less compression socks to support my arches and cut down on the swelling. I do need to watch my diet. I may end up the only pilgrim who gains weight. But I'm just so hungry at the end of the day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am feeling a bit better and still trudging along. I opted out of alburgues for a few nights for a room with a bathtub and some comforts of home. It's hard to heal without a good nights sleep.

I also picked up some toe-less compression socks to support my arches and cut down on the swelling.
Keep at it. Don't be reluctant to take taxis and buses when you need to stay off your feet! Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Def try changing shoes if you can. I had Crocs with me and when my feet were terribly swollen after Mansilla de las Mulas, I wore them for two days. Fortunately the terrain wasn't much so it allowed me to do so comfortably. Although there was a gal walking at the same time who did the entire Camino from Switzerland...in Crocs! That I found a bit much, but to each his own. Thinking of you today...hoping things are improving!

Sandals and thick socks should take off most pressure on your feet. I tended to get a lot of blisters, and other problems as long as I had boots type shoes. Now I walk in running shoes made for winter (Goretex),and a pair of sandals. I try to switch at least once a day (especially where the road is tarred). Can´t remember last time I had a blister after I changed into this system. If you´re walking in sandals and thick sock and it starts raining, well you get wet, but that would most likely have happened anyway - and now you only have to dry your boots. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.