Are shorts necessary in March/April?

stelrey

Apr 10, 2013
Time of past OR future Camino
CF - March/April 2014
I realize that weather is unpredictable, but in general are shorts necessary on an early spring camino? I've spent a lot of time thinking about layering for warmth...and now I'm worried that I'll end up being too hot near the end! Ha!

I don't like zip-off trousers. At all. They just don't feel comfortable to me. So if I bring shorts (or a hiking skirt, which is probably more likely), it will be an extra thing to carry.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Laliibeans

Feb 19, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Camino Frances (2014)
I'm wondering the same thing. I heat up very quickly and don't really feel the cold, so on all my previous hikes I've been sweltering (even in late autumn). I'm thinking for the Camino I might give hiking shorts a try, and take some knee high socks (personal favourites) for the mornings, which can then be swapped out for crew socks later in the day.

It's a bit out of my comfort zone though, I love zip-offs, except the ones where the zip manages to line up directly with the squishy bit right under your knee and bruises every time you kneel down :roll: So I'm interested in what others have to say, too.

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Jul 26, 2011
Suffolk, U.K.
snicholl5.wix.com
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
In March you can have snow. You want to walk in shorts? Fine, maybe a little unusual.
April is often the rainy month. Similar question! :(
I always take shorts and longs. In May and after the sun can be hot enough to burn when you're out for hours at a time. As soon as I feel the burning I change into longs. I also sometimes wear long-sleeve shirts for the same reason. The important thing is to be comfortable: it doesn't really matter what you look like!

Buen camino!

Stephen.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

stelrey

Apr 10, 2013
CF - March/April 2014
Stephen Nicholls said:
In March you can have snow. You want to walk in shorts? Fine, maybe a little unusual.
April is often the rainy month. Similar question! :(
I always take shorts and longs. In May and after the sun can be hot enough to burn when you're out for hours at a time. As soon as I feel the burning I change into longs. I also sometimes wear long-sleeve shirts for the same reason. The important thing is to be comfortable: it doesn't really matter what you look like!

Buen camino!

Stephen.

I don't really want to walk in shorts. I'm just wondering if I'll be too hot in Spain in late April. Judging from your response, it sounds like i won't really need them. I think I'll plan on leaving them behind, and if i get too hot, i can always pick up a pair along the way. Thanks!

stelrey

Apr 10, 2013
CF - March/April 2014
Laliibeans said:
It's a bit out of my comfort zone though, I love zip-offs, except the ones where the zip manages to line up directly with the squishy bit right under your knee and bruises every time you kneel down :roll: So I'm interested in what others have to say, too.

If I loved zip-off trousers, then I'd definitely go with them. They're so versatile. I just really don't like how they feel on. I have sensitive skin, and the zipper rubs and chafes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

fortview

Jun 18, 2012
Gloucestershire UK
Camino frances Sept/oct 2012 , Salvador, Primitivo 2013
Cotswold Way July 2014
European Peace Walk August 2014 (John)
Shorts and leggings to go underneath when it was cold, worked for me. It is possible to have some hot days in April. The leggings don't weigh much. Just another idea for you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
So, whatcha all buying? The sale and coupons are burning a hole in my pocket but I can’t decide what I want/need.
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I’ll begin my Camino in July (Portuguese route), so it’s time to get shoes and break them in. I have seen posts about walking shoes and which ones people prefer, and I’ve read various articles...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.