• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boxer shorts - any recommendations

Darragh3281

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi folks, I’m heading for my first camino in a few weeks and need some recommendations on hiking boxer shorts.

I bought a pair of breathable running boxers from decathlon which don’t work, not very comfortable, cause chaffing and not breathable. I‘ve been looking at brands like Saxx, StepONE and Danish Endurance bamboo boxers. The Danish ones seem to be getting good reviews on Amazon, but can’t find any reviews from hiking bloggers or YouTub. There’s also a pair of Merino boxers in Decathlon that get good customer reviews.

I’m wondering what brands or type of boxers are popular on the Camino. I’m based in the UK, so some of the American brands may not be readily available here.

Thanks for your help guys😎

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've also found Smartwool boxers to be good, if you want to go with merino, but be aware they weigh the same as *three* pairs of Uniqlo ones, so it might not be worth the extra weight for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm also in the UK
I always use Rohan for travel underwear - boxers and briefs

Perfect for Caminos, always quick drying, although not cheap
Advantage is you can go in a shop and see them

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi folks, I’m heading for my first camino in a few weeks and need some recommendations on hiking boxer shorts.

I bought a pair of breathable running boxers from decathlon which don’t work, not very comfortable, cause chaffing and not breathable. I‘ve been looking at brands like Saxx, StepONE and Danish Endurance bamboo boxers. The Danish ones seem to be getting good reviews on Amazon, but can’t find any reviews from hiking bloggers or YouTub. There’s also a pair of Merino boxers in Decathlon that get good customer reviews.

I’m wondering what brands or type of boxers are popular on the Camino. I’m based in the UK, so some of the American brands may not be readily available here.

Rohan do a very comfortable boxer

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I

Yea that was my thought too. Don’t think any special clothing is actually required though of course it’s always nice to get new clothing psychologically.
Probably not a great recommendation if you wear cotton underwear though. It's heavy, pro-microbal and dries poorly. There's something to be said for getting the right fabric for the job.

Probably not a great recommendation if you wear cotton underwear though. It's heavy, pro-microbal and dries poorly. There's something to be said for getting the right fabric for the job.
Fair enough! Not a subject that well versed in! Didn’t buy any special stuff for the Camino but it will take look next time!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Interesting that this thread should come up now, because I was wondering whether or not to post something a tad personal. What the heck, if it helps someone else I can live with the embarrassment…..
My first Camino was just the Ingles, and it was spring, so I just used my standard cotton briefs . Yes, they took a little longer to dry but otherwise fine.
I walked the Primitivo in July, bought briefs- not boxers- from Decathlon. Comfy on trial walks, dried fast, sorted - or so I thought.
After 5 - 6 days I had Tinea Cruris , commonly known as Jock itch. I had no idea what the heck was going on, not being a Jock (let alone American) didn’t even know what it was called.
Got a (nappy!) cream from the pharmacy and was able to keep walking . Got home and was diagnosed by my doctor. It’s apparently very common in athletes, including long distance walkers with the wrong underwear. It itches like hell, can take weeks to heal, and once you’ve had it you’re more subceptible to it. Wonderful!

So chose with care …

Interesting that this thread should come up now, because I was wondering whether or not to post something a tad personal. What the heck, if it helps someone else I can live with the embarrassment…..
My first Camino was just the Ingles, and it was spring, so I just used my standard cotton briefs . Yes, they took a little longer to dry but otherwise fine.
I walked the Primitivo in July, bought briefs- not boxers- from Decathlon. Comfy on trial walks, dried fast, sorted - or so I thought.
After 5 - 6 days I had Tinea Cruris , commonly known as Jock itch. I had no idea what the heck was going on, not being a Jock (let alone American) didn’t even know what it was called.
Got a (nappy!) cream from the pharmacy and was able to keep walking . Got home and was diagnosed by my doctor. It’s apparently very common in athletes, including long distance walkers with the wrong underwear. It itches like hell, can take weeks to heal, and once you’ve had it you’re more subceptible to it. Wonderful!

So chose with care …
yes, it's basically the same thing as athlete's foot, except in a more... err... unpleasant place. You can treat it while you're walking with an athlete's foot cream. Remember to wash your hands well after handling your feet and socks so as to not spread the infection.

Rohan as mentioned above are good; as are Smartwool merino.

I invested in ‘ex-officio’ before my last Camino; but in the UK and Ireland the price is off the scale. Sizing’s generous, so go down one. US XL is truely massive.

All of the above are fairly ‘snug’ which is good for keeping everything organised; but in shared accommodation could cause you to frighten those of a nervous disposition. I carry a loose pair of lightweight sleep-shorts as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use the super cheap running boxer-briefs from Decathlon. Depending on country they are around 5€, dry fast and weigh 52g. Mine have held for a few thousand km so far. I have also used them for swimming a few times, worked, but they are not exactly made for that.
Not a fan of merino boxers.

edit: 7€ apparently https://www.decathlon.de/p/funktion...s-atmungsaktiv-herren/_/R-p-121488?mc=8573734
Thanks Anhalter - those are the ones I’m wearing at the moment but they haven’t worked for me. I do like decathlon gear though, I‘m training
in Decathlon Evadict TR2 trail running shoes, they’re very good.
I use the super cheap running boxer-briefs from Decathlon. Depending on country they are around 5€, dry fast and weigh 52g. Mine have held for a few thousand km so far. I have also used them for swimming a few times, worked, but they are not exactly made for that.

edit: 7€ apparently https://www.decathlon.de/p/funktion...s-atmungsaktiv-herren/_/R-p-121488?mc=8573734

I invested in ‘ex-officio’ before my last Camino; but in the UK and Ireland the price is off the scale. Sizing’s generous, so go down one. US XL is truely massive.

All of the above are fairly ‘snug’ which is good for keeping everything organised; but in shared accommodation could cause you to frighten those of a nervous disposition. I carry a loose pair of lightweight sleep-shorts as well.
😂😂🤣

Ex-officio here. Boxer briefs. They are my everyday underwear too. Eventually the elastic band wears out, but i wash and dry them like normal laundry. One thing I've noticed in the past is the underwear I've purchased in Europe doesn't have a fly. I prefer to have a fly, for convenience sake.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

So chose with care …
Oh that sounds sore Peter - I hope you can continue to enjoy your walks. I’m happy with most of my gear at this stage, but the boxers are proving a little more difficult to figure out.

Never wear boxers - especially merino. I wear tights - my boys need a secure home. I use danish military issued tights. Very comfortable.

Ex-officio here. Boxer briefs.

Yep, Ex-officio. Maybe not easy to get in Europe but I have almost only good words for these for American readers of this thread. It's almost because of the price.

For my first camino it was a couple of jockey briefs. I heard some women also praising Ex-officio (but I didn't ask about the style they wore). Second camino I wore the boxer briefs. I got a three pack at Costco for about the price of a single brief. I haven't seen a three pack anywhere else since.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Patagonia Baggies Shorts (the classic version/model), not the light version/model.

They last forever.

I recently got a pair of FKT Boxers from Alpkit.com
They have stores throughout the u.k!

They are described as,
“Moisture-wicking and fast-drying boxers in a soft polyester and rayon blend. Perfect for hiking, running and climbing”

I worn them walking in the recent heatwave and found them very comfortable to wear and didn’t feel sweaty or damp after!

Although not, Merino, for £13.00, I think they are a decent alternative! I will probably get a few more pairs!

I bought three pairs of boxers at Decathlon in Seville. I’m not sure why as my plan was a pair of everything else except for socks (for a lunchtime change if needed.) Just as well, the very first day the pair I’d carefully washed and hung out to dry disappeared off the line. I asked around but everyone denied seeing them, including a large Frenchman… A pair of identically branded large sized briefs had been left behind… About 500 km later I encountered the large Frenchman who said he’d been trying to find me for the last so many weeks… to return my boxers… I’ve still got them many years later still going well. They’re semi retired to use under swim shorts. Brand name is Kalenji - light, quick drying, supportive, comfortable and apparently attractive to large Frenchmen!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Bought some 'Dare to Wear' bamboo shorts from TK-Maxx. So good I went and bought more.

Yeah what we call crotch rot really sucks. I carry 2 pairs of jockey cotton boxer briefs. No issues with anything.

I've been wearing Saxx. I haven't had any problems, but I can't say from knowledge that they are better than the competition either.

I wear nike/regatta swim shorts when walking. They have a built in mesh brief so no need for boxers.

For my 3 Caminos I wore Adidas Men’s Performance Boxer Briefs. Comfortable, easy to hand wash each day, and they are line dry with an hour of sunshine or by morning at your bunk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I wore Reebok performance boxer briefs last year on the camino. I had previously used them while jogging.

Worked so well on the camino, I bought a bunch more when I got home and now wear them as my every day shorts.

Here they are:

What ever you are comfortable in now will work for walking. The issue is how quickly they will dry on a clothesline when all the sunny spots are taken. I found that the higher tech synthetics didn't dry that much faster than cotton.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I love Ex Officio

I am also UK based. Went down the Decathlon route and bought 2 different types of boxers, including their Merino wool ones, but neither any good. Ended up with 3 pairs of Saxx which are so comfortable due to their Ball Park feature (no further description necessary). https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/wa...ers-c143/saxx-vibe-boxer-brief-p42030/s261587

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Duluth (US company) Buck Naked Boxers. Used on 10 Caminos, I take only 2 pairs. Pair I wear doubles as shorts going to shower. Once washed out, they are washcloth. Then they are my towel: ring out/ wipe down 3-4 times, and I am drier than the REI microfleece towel I once forgot to take into the shower. Now I take no towel on Camino. They have a button on the fly. I wear them as swim trunks in Spain. They are cut large, so I get the next size down

Farrago

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Duluth (US company) Buck Naked Boxers. Used on 10 Caminos, I take only 2 pairs. Pair I wear doubles as shorts going to shower. Once washed out, they are washcloth. Then they are my towel: ring out/ wipe down 3-4 times, and I am drier than the REI microfleece towel I once forgot to take into the shower. Now I take no towel on Camino. They have a button on the fly. I wear them as swim trunks in Spain. They are cut large, so I get the next size down
I also like Duluth boxer briefs, but their “Armachillo” ones. Although they don’t cool me as advertised, they fit me better than Ex Officio, and feel better than their Buck Naked, or Dang Soft. The leg length is also great, and I have no chafe.

Darragh3281.
Let me let you into a little Camino secret for men, don’t bother with boxers or any kind of underwear! I’m not suggesting that you go full Commando, what you do is buy yourself three pairs of really nice swimming trunks, the ones with a net hammock inside, you will not find a more comfortable way to go, and you can wash them out easily, and they dry in a flash. When not wearing my swimmers I take one pair of lightweight walking trousers, and under them I wear a pair of men’s Jockey 24/7 Microfibre air short trunk pants/underwear. These are extremely comfortable, with a wide waistband so they don’t ‘dig in’ and also dry very quickly.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
While preparing for my first time, I didn’t take the advise ‘ beware of all enterprises that require new clothes’ and I invested in Icebreaker Anatomica boxers.

By the time I left for the second half of the VdlP 3 yeras later, I did take that age-old advise, and jus grabed 3 Icebreaker Anatomica boxers from the closet, because that’s what I have been wearing since…

Not cheap, but rather durable and ever so comfy.

Buen Camino
Miguel

Just as trying out various backpacks, shoes and socks are important to getting what best suits YOU, same goes for guys and parts down under. I have found thin, quick drying, long boxer shorts ideal. Please don't skimp on price; those guys down below want to be comfortable, while you absolutely do not want any chafing that can lead to all sorts of problems on a multi-day walk. I bought three different brands before choosing the right one. The ones I decided against I wore for every day. You can't go wrong on seeking the right purchase!

I had the merino ones from decatlon, nothing better for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I also like Duluth boxer briefs, but their “Armachillo” ones. Although they don’t cool me as advertised, they fit me better than Ex Officio, and feel better than their Buck Naked, or Dang Soft. The leg length is also great, and I have no chafe.
Thanks MYork; I will give them a try.

I wore Paramo Cambia boxers for my camino. I took three pairs with me. They are comfortable, wash easily and dry quickly and you can get away with wearing a pair for more than a day if necessary.. I usually changed mine in the evening, washing the pair that I took off and hanging them up to dry overnight. I'd then wear the fresh pair for the night and the next day. I live in the UK as well and Paramo are easily available.

Yep, Ex-officio. Maybe not easy to get in Europe but I have almost only good words for these for American readers of this thread. It's almost because of the price.

For my first camino it was a couple of jockey briefs. I heard some women also praising Ex-officio (but I didn't ask about the style they wore). Second camino I wore the boxer briefs. I got a three pack at Costco for about the price of a single brief. I haven't seen a three pack anywhere else since.
Male walking companions swear by ex-officio boxers, long leg, I too have bought them and worn them on caminos for the longer leg (the women's version only has 'boy leg' -
too short), I've also worn for a few caminos now a couple of pair of Aldi men's technical boxers... very good as well.

Un

Choice of style of underwear is a very personal matter- what works for one person may not work for another...

As a male of that certain age, I too can suffer from chaffing in the nether regions, and I have found that 3/4 length trunks work mush better than the looser boxer shorts.

My favoured brand in an Aussie home-grown product - Tradies - but here are many reputable manufacturers (UnderArmour being one) that make similar garments.

I respectfully suggest you concentrate on functionalty - comfort, weight, wash/drying characterstics and fit, rather than brand... Buy one that ticks your boxes, test it on a full day hike, and if it works, get more...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I’m heading back to Camino in September with boxers from Reebok that are poly/spandex material. Minimal seams near the junk - no useless access ports. Also no inner pocket like Saxx and others. Waist band feels great so far. Still trying them out but so far so good. I’m ditching all cotton - nit just because it soaks up sweat and holds on to it, but also because it dries slower and sometimes you just don’t get much time for line drying things. Just my 2¢.

Wear what you want, as long as you ware something!

Seriously, I bought a few pairs of SAXX, which were good, but if you are worried about rub, then a small tub of Sudocrem always does the business, I ordered a small pot from a Faramcia in Santiago last week, was there the next day, cost me 10 euro...

I have spent soooo much money trying to figure this one out. I bought a pair of Saxx and they were ok but tended to ride down in the back and when I pulled them into proper position let’s just say things got a bit more snuggly than I’d prefer up front. I bought a €50 pair of Danish merino which were guaranteed ‘itch free’. They most certainly were not. I finally just went back to some of the best undies I’ve ever owned; MeUndies. Incredible fabric. Great fit. Long enough to not chafe (gotta check the different styles as some are shorter). Very durable. Downside is shipping takes a bit longer as they’re shipped from the States.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I just completed the Frances and wore Runderwear clothing. They also do socks which were excellent. No blisters and No chaffing at all.

So chose with care …
Thanks for the post.
Same as, not an issue in the past, until today. With this warning I guess I’m going shopping in the next town, if they have any of the options listed here 🤞.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like bamboo. The brand I can get is Boody, made in China. There may be better.

I walked in Devops underwear from Amazon. They are a dry/ mesh with a choice of a 6 inch or 9 inch inseam. I used the 9 inch inseam. 3 pairs for $22

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recommend boxers with a nice pattern, as you may be walking around the Albergue in them. Solid colors are OK, but geometric patterns make you stand out!

M&S Autograph Microfibre trunks. They also wash and dry easily. I don’t work for them and I’m not on commission! Also, I think I may have deleted the emoji from the end of your post. Apologies.

I have used two brands of boxer/briefs and been happy , 32 degree cool. And AMD 1 both light weight breathable and dry very quick on a line. I would use any other

i have had good results with boxer/briefs on the Camino. Both brands are very similar . 32 degree cool. And AND 1 .

I’m a fatso and swear by StepOne. Possibly the most comfortable boxers ever! No chafing even on long, hot hikes (that said I hike in a kilt which helps with the sweatiness).

Icebreaker (I prefer the longer leg) with a combination of Body Glide and Megababe Thigh Rescue. Bepanthen ointment for the end (if required). Start the Primitivo next week and just done 13 miles in hilly Wales as a final training walk to try out the above combination. No issues in the undercarriage department - which makes a refreshing change!

I'm currently on the hunt for better hiking underwear myself, so your post is timely. I need to take some time to read through everyone's recommendations. I'm USA based, so like you said choices may be different for us.

For starters, I've always been an ExOfficio underwear fan. For years I've been using the brief style underwear. I like that these underwear are highly wicking and dry in a flash. The one thing I didn't like about the original design is that the pouch area was way to tight and the fly was difficult to access (important for a quick discreet emptying of the bladder along the trail). For the Camino last year, I purchased there new Give-N-Go 2.0 Standard brief (not the sport brief) and generally liked it. They fixed the design flaws I saw with the original brief. Here's a link to it on AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ5X5Z8/?tag=casaivar02-20

A few weeks ago, I purchased the Give-N-Go 2.0 brief Boxer Brief in both the 6 inch and 3 inch leg lengths (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XN4WZSG/?tag=casaivar02-20). I don't like the 3 inch style because the leg material tends to ride up and bunch in the lower crotch. It just feels uncomfortable for me. I liked the 6 inch leg length much better, but I think I will go back to the brief style because there is still some bunching in the crotch. I haven't decided if I will try the 9 inch boxer brief.

I tried Hanes Men's X-Temp pouch boxer brief but didn't like it at all. The stitch around the pouch was very irritating. I don't think I will try any other pouched designs again after that. I did look at some of the bamboo boxer brief currently available, but they need to be hand washed and that's too much of a limitation for me . On the Camino that may be OK but for daily use at home, they need to go into the regular wash.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Agree! I have a size 34 waist and the 'Medium' size works well for me. Regarding price, some here in the USA. It's definitely the most expensive underwear I purchase (I just bought a new pair of ExOfficio Men's Standard Give-n-go 2.0 Brief for $24). However, for me the wicking and extremely fast drying fabric features are worth the price for hiking underwear.

just walked this past June and I used Saxx black sheep, which are merino wool. Loved them, no chaffing and very comfortable. Also oder resistance which is nice. A little pricey though here in Canada, but worth it for me when walking 800 km.

I

Yea that was my thought too. Don’t think any special clothing is actually required though of course it’s always nice to get new clothing psychologically.
Don't bring cotton if you want it to dry fast. Depending on the camino you are doing, the humidity levels could be higher or it just rains all night and nothing dries. You could see more rain getting in to the fall or you may not... that's the weather!

Edit: Funny how the timing works. A day after this post and I started to feel chaffing! 😩. I'm using some UnderArmor boxers 6" and they were perfect but maybe the handwashing is doing something to them or it is to be expected after 200+ kms. I have one pair of cotton that I used for the flight over so I'll use them for a day and see what happens.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi folks, I ended up buying Baleaf Boxer shorts from Amazon. I’ve done some training walks wearing them this weekend and they’ve been very good, no issues. They’re 9“ leg, which is longer than what I’m used to, but really comfortable, and for £17 for two pairs great value. Saxx I’m sure are amazing, but I can’t justify the hefty price tag, maybe I‘ll get a pair in the sales.

Thanks for everyone’s input😀

Aether boxers from Rohan, comfortable, lightweight, supportive and high wicking. I have not found anything better. www.rohan.co.uk

I got a three pack of Danish Endurance sport boxer shorts (these ones, to be precise) before doing the Frances last year, and had absolutely no sweat, chafing etc problems with them. Really comfortable and they've also lasted really well - used them on the Primitivo this year, worn them for lots of walks and runs and all three pairs are still going strong.

just walked this past June and I used Saxx black sheep, which are merino wool. Loved them, no chaffing and very comfortable. Also oder resistance which is nice. A little pricey though here in Canada, but worth it for me when walking 800 km.
Unfortunately these seem to be discontinued and Saxx no longer sells Merino briefs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unfortunately these seem to be discontinued and Saxx no longer sells Merino briefs.
That's good to know. Only used them while walking the camino not for everyday use. They should be good for a couple more caminos.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.