• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

arriving 15 december

Frank1

Hello,

I will arrive om 14 december at 19h30 azt SJPP. I have several questions
[*] Is the pilgrims office still open at that time
[*] Can I find a place to sleep on my arrival or do I have to reserve in advance. Any suggestions for cheap places.

Greetings,
Frank

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
HORAIRES D’OUVERTURE.
Vous devez accueillir les pèlerins de 7.30 heures du matin à 22.00 heures ou plus tard suivant l’heure d’arrivée du dernier train.
The municipal refuge is open until 2300, and is likely the only "cheap" place open at that time of year. There are plenty of hotels and chambres available, and they all like you to make reservations.

Frank,

My wife and I arrived at the same time last year. The train got into St. Jean about 8:30pm. We walked up the main street and a lady directed us to the pilgrim office. It was open.There were two gentlemen keeping the night watch, and they were very kind and helpful. They walked us up the street (just a few doors) to the municipal albergue and got us situated. We were then walked back down the street to a restaurant that was ready to close, but after a few words from our guide, we were served dinner and wine. We were the only people in the albergue. We set off the next morning taking the valley route as advised. It was great. We stopped in Valcarlos (jet lag) and arrived in Roncesvalles the following day. Call ahead (or get help calling ahead) for confirmation that an albergue or pension will be open. Many businesses will be closed from Christmas to January 6th (Feast of the Epiphany), but lodging and food can be found without too much difficulty,just fewer options. We spent Christmas eve in Santo Domingo. You will probably wind up somewhere near there as well. Check our blog (see signature at the end of this post) for more information. We had a great Camino.I know you will as well. Have fun.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

the napoleon route is very nice in good weather. What about the route by Valcarlos ? Is the scenery even beautifull in winter ? Can the napoleon route be done in winter ?

Greetings

You will hear correctly from many people that the weather in the Pyrenees is unpredictable (regardless of the season). This is a fact. The possibility of white out conditions, disorientation, and below freezing temperatures have to be weighed against the scenery (if you can see it). We found the Valcarlos route to be quite pleasant and scenic. There is some road walking, but there is also the opportunity to go off the road and follow more wooded paths (which we did and enjoyed). We followed the local advice received in St. Jean and avoided the Route Napoleon. The weather was just too unpredictable and potentially dangerous. We decided it was just not worth the risk. If you go up the valley route and want to spend the night in Valcarlos, try to call ahead and let someone know you are coming. When we arrived the only person in the albergue was a young Spanish guy with a lame horse. He let us in. The hospitelera did not show up until 9:00pm. If you arrive and it is closed just ask around town and someone will get it opened. We had been traveling for 30+hours to get to St. Jean so a short first day made good sense. We slept like logs.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back