• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving at Saint Jean at 7pm

PartManPartGoldfish

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April, 2016)
Hi,

I imagine this question has been asked elsewhere, but there's so many conversations on this forum that it's tricky to drill through it all.

Anyway, I'll be arriving at St. Jean later this month, getting in at around 7pm on the train. At this point, what is the arrival process like? Do I just head to Pilgrim's Office, get my passport, and head to one of the albergues? (Which are essentially next door, right?) Will the timing make this difficult? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Right you are!

The Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential, current trail/weather info and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

The office is a great place to meet and greet fellow pilgrims

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
No its not that simple.

St Jean is an older town and was laid out to confuse enemies who were invading. All of which makes the village quaint but not so good for navigating around for the first time, particularly if your train arrives after dark.

I would suggest getting a map (google earth is a good one) with the important places marked on it (such as pilgrim office and your intended place to stay). Figure out how to get from the station to the hotel ... before you leave home.

Hi,
I also arrived at 7:00 PM, from the train. It is easy, you just have to follow the crowd, everybody is going to the same place, to register for the Camino. But a few days prior I was worried that the Albergues would be all booked, so late in the day. So I search on the internet and booked a room, no worries... I would strongly suggest you do the same.
Buen Camino!

Hi,

I imagine this question has been asked elsewhere, but there's so many conversations on this forum that it's tricky to drill through it all.

Anyway, I'll be arriving at St. Jean later this month, getting in at around 7pm on the train. At this point, what is the arrival process like? Do I just head to Pilgrim's Office, get my passport, and head to one of the albergues? (Which are essentially next door, right?) Will the timing make this difficult? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for any help.

:)
Don't know if you have a guidebook with a map on it, so I attached a photo of the map of SJPdP from my guidebook. As you see it's not a very big town and pretty easy to get around. The train station is at the lower right hand portion of the map and marked "Gare SNCF". Maybe a 5-10 minute walk to the center of town from there. The pilgrim's office is marked "Acceuil" on the map and just above the "prison" (don't worry it's not a working one, historic only). The municipal albergue is only about 100 meters from the pilgrim's office and marked "Aubergue de Pelerin 1", lower left hand part of the map below the pilgrim's office. As you can see there is all manner of other accommodations there, and some not on the map.
I also attached a photo of the exterior and entrance to the pilgrim's office. Very gracious and cool people there.
cheers and ultreia
CAM00017.jpg E C 004.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't know if you have a guidebook with a map on it, so I attached a photo of the map of SJPdP from my guidebook. As you see it's not a very big town and pretty easy to get around. The train station is at the lower right hand portion of the map and marked "Gare SNCF". Maybe a 5-10 minute walk to the center of town from there. The pilgrim's office is marked "Acceuil" on the map and just above the "prison" (don't worry it's not a working one, historic only). The municipal albergue is only about 100 meters from the pilgrim's office and marked "Aubergue de Pelerin 1", lower left hand part of the map below the pilgrim's office. As you can see there is all manner of other accommodations there, and some not on the map.
I also attached a photo of the exterior and entrance to the pilgrim's office. Very gracious and cool people there.
cheers and ultreia
View attachment 25145 View attachment 25146

No functionne por nadia.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back