A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

LIVE from the Camino Arriving in Santiago on Friday

Camino(s) past & future
September 22 2017
I have some immediate planning to do I order to best arrive in Santiago for the cathedral church service that is most likely to be using the botafumerio . I hear many different opinions on when , or if it will be happening on a particular day . Has anyone recently arrived, was it part of your pilgrims service?
Best aim for noon service or evening service??
Thank you in advance .

Lydia Gillen

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007/8/9 2011 (C.F 2015)
The butofumero swings on big feast days
Otherwise it swings when a group of pilgrims pay for it. The men who pull the ropes have to be paid. There is really no way of knowing in advance. unless you happen to meet a large group of pilgrims who are going to pay.

In the old pilgrim office a notice used to be put up high up on the wall on a day when it was going to be rung. I do not know if this happens in the present pilgrim offfice.

However if you see it hanging in the Cathedral it will most probably be used after the next pilgrim Mass

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Best aim for noon service or evening service??
In the last week it has been used at least once at noon, second mass on Saturday, and once in the evening. It was probably use several more times, but I watch the webcam only intermittently.

kennymandy

Ken and Mandy
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (August 2017)
Camino Finisterre (September 2017)
Camino Portugués (June 2018)
We attended the 7.30pm mass on two Wednesdays (20 and 27 September) and it was used both times. Talking to other pilgrims it seems to have been quite often recently. We also went into the cathedral last Friday after the noon mass and could smell the incense.

Camino(s) past & future
September 22 2017
In the last week it has been used at least once at noon, second mass on Saturday, and once in the evening. It was probably use several more times, but I watch the webcam only intermittently.
Thank you for your reply . We arrived today and did get to the noon pilgrims Mass and the botafumerio was swinging in all her glory .. tinkled to witness it!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%