• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on "parts to miss" so I can Experience Arrival into Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023 Camino Frances July 2024 TBD where
Update: i am starting at SJPP for sure, and ending at Santiago for sure.

Hello All, I am excited to start my first CFrances next week and have a question about your rec for routes. I only have 24 days after my night in Roncesvalles (I'm starting in SJPP). I originally thought I would walk until my days were up and then hopefully come back to finish the leftovers. But my heart is set on experiencing the arrival into Santiago so I need advice on which parts you would skip (yes, that word "SKIP" is sacrilegious because everything on the Camino is awesome, and should not be skipped!! BUT ALAS, I CANT DO IT ALL!!!! ). Sadly, I will have to skip some parts since I will also need a few slow walking days or rest days and have committed to ending in Santiago and starting in SJPP!

Thank you in advance!!! I CAN NOT WAIT!!! one week from this moment, I should be on the climb up to Borda!!!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If it were me, I would just start closer to Santiago (like in Logrono), but if I were going to skip a section it would be Leon to Ponferrada. (My favorite part of the Camino is Logrono to Leon.) It is easy to get from Leon to Ponferrada on the train. It means you skip Cruz de Fiero, but if you have to miss something, then at least you will miss the treacherous downhill on that stretch. I don't know if that is enough days to cut to get you there in 24 though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello All, I am excited to start my first CFrances next week and have a question about your rec for routes. I only have 24 days after my night in Roncesvalles (I'm starting in SJPP). I originally thought I would walk until my days were up and then hopefully come back to finish the leftovers. But my heart is set on experiencing the arrival into Santiago so I need advice on which parts you would skip (yes, that word "SKIP" is sacrilegious because everything on the Camino is awesome, and should not be skipped!! BUT ALAS, I CANT DO IT ALL!!!! ). Sadly, I will have to skip some parts since I will also need a few slow walking days or rest days and have committed to ending in Santiago and starting in SJPP!

Thank you in advance!!! I CAN NOT WAIT!!! one week from this moment, I should be on the climb up to Borda!!!

If you are planning on gaining a Compostela, then the 100 Kms near to Sarria will need to be included. Anything else can be skipped.

Oh, hard decision. All of it is perfection, every section in its own way.

One option (like @J Willhaus and @trecile have suggested) is to start closer, figuring out where exactly based on your fitness.

Or surrender to end where you end this time and come back to finish another time. That's not as awful as you might think, and delayed gratification is its own reward. Why does it have to be now?

There is something special about walking continuously and you miss that by jumping ahead. And you will make friends at the beginning who you'll leave behind.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If it were me, I would just start closer to Santiago (like in Logrono), but if I were going to skip a section it would be Leon to Ponferrada. (My favorite part of the Camino is Logrono to Leon.) It is easy to get from Leon to Ponferrada on the train. It means you skip Cruz de Fiero, but if you have to miss something, then at least you will miss the treacherous downhill on that stretch. I don't know if that is enough days to cut to get you there in 24 though.
Thank u! I will put this in my notes as an option!

I would start in Burgos, or maybe a little closer depending on your fitness level.
Hi, to be clearer- I'm definitely starting in SJPP (my first 4 nights are booked) It's the middle section I'm wondering... where to stop and where to pick up again so I end in Santiago. Thank u for your response!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

One option (like @J Willhaus and @trecile have suggested) is to start closer, figuring out where exactly based on your fitness.

Or surrender to end where you end this time and come back to finish another time. That's not as awful as you might think, and delayed gratification is its own reward. Why does it have to be now?

There is something special about walking continuously and you miss that by jumping ahead. And you will make friends at the beginning who you'll leave behind.
Yes soooo hard!!!! :( To be clearer- I'm definitely starting in SJPP (my first 4 nights are booked) It's the middle section I'm wondering... where to stop and where to pick up again so I end in Santiago. Thank u for your response!

One benefit of starting deeper and just giving yourself enough time to make it to Santiago in one fell swoop, is that you won't have to leave your friends if you've made any. Well, you'll eventually have to leave them, but it is better to do that when everyone has to go home. :)
Yes I am really sad that I can't stay with the hopefully future friends I make :(

Of course it would be much better if I had the chance to do entire thing but I don't. I only have 1 month from start to home

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, to be clearer- I'm definitely starting in SJPP (my first 4 nights are booked) It's the middle section I'm wondering... where to stop and where to pick up again so I end in Santiago. Thank u for your response!
Can you make it to Burgos, and then bus to Leon? That basically skips most of the meseta, but would still give you plenty of time for friends.

Yes soooo hard!!!! :( To be clearer- I'm definitely starting in SJPP (my first 4 nights are booked) It's the middle section I'm wondering... where to stop and where to pick up again so I end in Santiago. Thank u for your response!
Just see how far you get. It's not something you need to plan out ahead of time. Maybe you'll find you just want to keep going, rather than stopping and jumping ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I only have 1 month from start to home
That distance can be done in 33 days without walking huge days. But if you are quite fit and able to walk long days, you may not have to miss anything. Over 27 days, add 4 extra kms each day and you make up 108kms.
Have your cake and eat it too.

Like, if you are serious, how are you booked? You still have time to cancel and shift gears, at no expense, maybe.

My suggestion would be to do SJPdP to Roncesvalles if your heart is set on crossing the Pyrenees, then take transport to a town along the Way from which you can easily make it to SdC in your remaining timeframe. Yes, you will miss some of the CF, but you will have continuity of walking for most of the Way. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

I took the bus from Mansilla to Leon and I’d do it again because it’s all highway. But that’s just one day or half day of walking. I can’t really think of anywhere else I’d skip.

Hola whilst it would, imho, be a pity to omit any part of the walk from St Jean to Santiago; you could omit Logrono to Burgos and from Leon to Hospital del Orbigo. This would save you around 6 or 7 days, depending upon when the buses operate. Buen Camino

From a social point, i would plan my "skip" so that there would be the longest possible consecutive part before Santiago. I would hate to walk all the way to, say, Burgos, make friends, skip to Leon, lose all of them again and have to make new friends again. So while i would hate skipping the SJPDP-Pamplona-Logrono section, i would rather skip that and start somewhere later on the way and walk from there. I would even consider cancelling my bookings and losing the money.
But if that is not an option to you, the Logrono-Burgos section could be skipped to give around 5 extra days. Or the Leon - Ponferrada section for gaining 4 days. OR maybe Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos (Bus) for 2 days plus Leon to Astorga for 2 days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As you can see, so many of us have a hard time giving you the advice you ask for. The rhythm and continuity of an uninterrupted walk may actually be more of a draw for some than the arrival in Santiago or the departure from SJPP. But your plan seems pretty set in stone, so if you are going to skip…

I think that once you start walking and get a sense of your pace and comfort level with distances, you will be able to figure out how many days you will need to cut out. As @Anhalter suggested, I would try to do the ”skipping” as early in your camino as possible, so that you have the longest uninterrupted distance into Santiago. This makes sense, IMHO, not only in terms of the social connections, but also in terms of experiencing the very thing that makes it so hard for many of us to advocate “skipping.” From León it’s about two weeks for most people, so I would start walking, get your rhythm going, and then skip to León at a point when it will give you time to walk into Santiago. If you wind up with a faster pace, you can skip to an earlier point, say Sahagún, and then have a longer uninterrupted point.

Another option would just be to walk those first four days you already have planned and then jump ahead and walk the rest of the way without interruption. Buen camino!

Having been in your situation, as well as, having walked several times. I would suggest skipping the meseta. It is something that if you get the chance to walk again that you can always do then. The meseta is the section on the camino that provides solitude for those that are looking for it. So it helps to provide this facet of a camino, but you will have other stretches of your walk that will give you this in smaller doses. You don't know when and where you are going to meet people on your camino, it could be day one, or it could be later. On my third camino, I walked into a bar and ran into someone that I had met on my second camino. You just never know. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you make it to Burgos, and then bus to Leon? That basically skips most of the meseta, but would still give you plenty of time for friends.
That's the help I am looking for. So miss that part (and come back to do next time) so I can do both sides. Wonder how many days that will shave??? Hmmm...

De
That's the help I am looking for. So miss that part (and come back to do next time) so I can do both sides. Wonder how many days that will shave??? Hmmm...
Depending on how fast you walk about 7+ days. A lot of people "skip" this part not due to time, but because they've heard its "boring". In my opinion, it is a wonderful stretch with lots of small towns where you can meet many of the rural people of Spain. I hope you'll get to experience it someday.

In 2011, because of time constraints I walked from Roncevalles to Pamplona and then took the train to Leon. I walked from Leon to Santiago. 2 days to walk to Pamplona and about 2 weeks, maybe a couple days more, to walk Leon to Santiago. You could always walk St Jean to Pamplona and then Leon or Astorga to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yes, start closer or come back.

The week before Easter is called Semana Santa and is usually very busy with processions etc

A dissenting view. On the CF I skip some of the big cities and one dangerous piece of road walking. I just find no spiritual value in walking big cities (or maybe, I live in a big city and if I want that type of experience, I can get it on any given Saturday). So these are my suggestions (all spellings are my best recollection and are probably wrong):

Walk through Pamplona (it's fast). If you can find the river route (right where there are silver discs in the ground; I seem to recall the bike and walking routes split there), it is nicer.

Walk into Burgos ON THE RIVER ROUTE (look up in this forum). Walking out is also fine and fairly fast, but if you need to save time, you could take a bus to a stop just 2km before Rabanel (I forget the name of the village--just ask).

I would never skip the messeta. It is where the magic always happens for me.

Skip the walk from Mules into Leon (take the bus from Mules) (very industrial/commercial--car dealerships and box stores)
Take the municipal bus from the center of Leon to Virgen del Camino to get to the outskirts of Leon and start walking again.

Skip Ponferrada entirely. I find it to be a gang-tag riddled urban nightmare. We take a taxi from Molinaseca to somewhere the other side of the city (I think last time we rode to Cacabellos).

Additionally, there is a nasty bit of walking from Villafranca de Bierzo up the mountain--it is right next to the old highway. At first there is barrier (which is still pounding hot asphalt, but at least safer), but then that goes away and we walked on the edge of that road as big trucks roared by with about a meter clearance. My nerves were raw by the end of that stretch and I vowed "never again." My suggestion is take the "high route" to Trabadelo and then a taxi to Las Herrerias (or, if you are really adventurous, the Dragon Route, which skips the road entirely).

Doing this, we did our last CF in 24 days. We walk fast, but it is possible. The real downside is that you leave your Camino Family behind, but we do that anyway because we walk fast.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

From a social point, i would plan my "skip" so that there would be the longest possible consecutive part before Santiago. I would hate to walk all the way to, say, Burgos, make friends, skip to Leon, lose all of them again and have to make new friends again. So while i would hate skipping the SJPDP-Pamplona-Logrono section, i would rather skip that and start somewhere later on the way and walk from there. I would even consider cancelling my bookings and losing the money.
But if that is not an option to you, the Logrono-Burgos section could be skipped to give around 5 extra days. Or the Leon - Ponferrada section for gaining 4 days. OR maybe Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos (Bus) for 2 days plus Leon to Astorga for 2 days.
Great detailed advice-definitely given from experience- this looks like what the OP was exactly looking for...

@AZsunnyhiker

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sooooo helpful!!! Thank u!!! As I was prepping on an AZ hike, I also thought about walking until 2 days b4 my flight leaves Santiago. Maybe I could bus or train it from wherever I am to Santiago at very last minute!!! Like you said, I really dont want to lose any friends I make so this new idea of mind may also work?
As you can see, so many of us have a hard time giving you the advice you ask for. The rhythm and continuity of an uninterrupted walk may actually be more of a draw for some than the arrival in Santiago or the departure from SJPP. But your plan seems pretty set in stone, so if you are going to skip…

I think that once you start walking and get a sense of your pace and comfort level with distances, you will be able to figure out how many days you will need to cut out. As @Anhalter suggested, I would try to do the ”skipping” as early in your camino as possible, so that you have the longest uninterrupted distance into Santiago. This makes sense, IMHO, not only in terms of the social connections, but also in terms of experiencing the very thing that makes it so hard for many of us to advocate “skipping.” From León it’s about two weeks for most people, so I would start walking, get your rhythm going, and then skip to León at a point when it will give you time to walk into Santiago. If you wind up with a faster pace, you can skip to an earlier point, say Sahagún, and then have a longer uninterrupted point.

Another option would just be to walk those first four days you already have planned and then jump ahead and walk the rest of the way without interruption. Buen camino!
Ahhhhhh... thank u!!! So leaving friends worse than making new ones closer to Santiago!? Sooo helpful! I just came up with idea about walking until my last 2 days, then take bus or train to Santiago!? Thoughts on that?

in 23 days you can walk from SJPP to viana or logrono. Then bus to Burgos and see the monuments. Next day bus to Leon and see the monuments. Next day bus to Astorga, see monuments. Then walk to villafranca del bierzo. Next day taxi to ocebreiro and/or triacestela and finish day by walking to Sarria. Continue walking to SCQ. 23 days total.

in 23 days you can walk from SJPP to viana or logrono. Then bus to Burgos and see the monuments. Next day bus to Leon and see the monuments. Next day bus to Astorga, see monuments. Then walk to villafranca del bierzo. Next day taxi to ocebreiro and/or triacestela and finish day by walking to Sarria. Continue walking to SCQ. 23 days total.
and miss the hike to O Cebreiro!?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Soooo helpful!!! Thank u!!! Will keep this advice for the trip!

I just came up with idea about walking until my last 2 days, then take bus or train to Santiago!? Thoughts on that?
In my opinion, this is not a good idea on many levels. 1) you won't qualify for a compostela. 2) you'd be walking around Santiago alone and staring at all the pilgrims who arrived with friends or acquaintances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Haha! That does sound awful about the staring around part
In my opinion, this is not a good idea on many levels. 1) you won't qualify for a compostela. 2) you'd be walking around Santiago alone and staring at all the pilgrims who arrived with friends or acquaintances.
Except... I won't get compostela anyways cuz I can't finish without 23-25 days

So I used to have a job and stuff and did not feel comfortable taking more than about 16 days to do the camino. I later pushed it to 23 days. Hence I started in Leon a bunch. Then I walked crazy itinerary caminos. The worst camino in my life was when I was convinced by a friend to just walk the first half from SJPdP to Leon in 16 days and leave from there. It was torture coming back home and seeing all my friends, still walking, together, on their social media. I know that other people love to do the camino in stages, and I totally respect that... but, I have never walked a camino without finishing in Santiago since. Again, other people have perfectly valid opinions...

So I used to have a job and stuff and did not feel comfortable taking more than about 16 days to do the camino. I later pushed it to 23 days. Hence I started in Leon a bunch. Then I walked crazy itinerary caminos. The worst camino in my life was when I was convinced by a friend to just walk the first half from SJPdP to Leon in 16 days and leave from there. It was torture coming back home and seeing all my friends, still walking, together, on their social media. I know that other people love to do the camino in stages, and I totally respect that... but, I have never walked a camino without finishing in Santiago since. Again, other people have perfectly valid opinions...
Yep, I get it. And you had to also do what I'm doing ... Lucky you that it sounds likr you dont have to deal with J O B anymore! Hopefully that will be me that I can do the entire someday!

Just see how far you get. It's not something you need to plan out ahead of time. Maybe you'll find you just want to keep going, rather than stopping and jumping ahead.
You are sooo right!!! And I am realizing now that I could take bus or train from my ending point to Santiago Airport. I will let the cards fall as they do

€83,-
It takes 4 days to get a Compostela: Sarria to Santiago, 100km.
It’s been a long thread and lots of advice has been offered. Mine, skip the bit between StJdP and maybe Burgos. That’ll give you time for a Camino. An opportunity to earn a Compostela, some time in Santiago (why walk there if all you’re going to do is leave the following day) and an excuse to come back again and walk from StJdP if you really must.

When you are configuring how many days you need to “save” don’t forget to factor in the day(s) spent waiting for buses, trains and connections. Public transport in Spain is excellent, as long as you want to go via Madrid or at least the regional centres.

I completely agree with this.
A big part of the experience of arriving into Santiago can be meeting up with pilgrims that you were walking with.

You only have to walk the last 100 km into Santiago to receive a Compostela. That's why Sarria is such a popular starting point.

Since you are determined to walk from SJPdP for a few days - to Pamplona or? I would recommend that you walk to Logroño, then take a bus or train to Astorga. That will give you enough time to get to know the pilgrims that you will walk into Santiago with. If you happen to have extra time after arriving in Santiago you can walk or take the bus to Finisterre and/or Muxía.

The walk to Logroño should take you between 7 and 10 days, and Astorga to Santiago between 10 and 14 days. And don't forget that you will need a day travel between stopping and starting points. It really depends on how well trained you are. Are you used to walking 15 miles a day, day after day?

I completely agree with this.
A big part of the experience of arriving into Santiago can be meeting up with pilgrims that you were walking with.

You only have to walk the last 100 km into Santiago to receive a Compostela. That's why Sarria is such a popular starting point.

Since you are determined to walk from SJPdP for a few days - to Pamplona or? I would recommend that you walk to Logroño, then take a bus or train to Astorga. That will give you enough time to get to know the pilgrims that you will walk into Santiago with. If you happen to have extra time after arriving in Santiago you can walk or take the bus to Finisterre and/or Muxía.

The walk to Logroño should take you between 7 and 10 days, and Astorga to Santiago between 10 and 14 days. And don't forget that you will need a day travel between stopping and starting points. It really depends on how well trained you are. Are you used to walking 15 miles a day, day after day?
Ha, not so sure of my ability! I hike often here in AZ but mostly short distance with steep elevations. Regarding walking: I do between 10k- 20k steps many days of the week. I think 15 km will be OK there but definitely a stretch doing it EVERYDAY!! But I'm a stubborn person so will definitely try hard!! I love your route idea. I'm not wanting to do this as a race to the end however! I want to enjoy and take breaks to enjoy thr camino. It's really sad for me that I can't afford to do entire route to keep the friends I make but I will just have to deal

Regarding SJPP to ??... i am spending my first nights arrival in Pamplona, 2 nights in SJPP and 1 night in Borda - those are my first 4 nights that are eating up a few of my days unfortunately.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ha, not so sure of my ability! I hike often here in AZ but mostly short distance with steep elevations. Regarding walking: I do between 10k- 20k steps many days of the week. I think 15 km will be OK there but definitely a stretch doing it EVERYDAY!!
Not 15km - 15 miles, which is about 24km, and an average distance if you are walking stages from the Brierley book or the Gronze website.

It's really sad for me that I can't afford to do entire route to keep the friends I make but I will just have to deal
There's really no "entire" route unless you are in Europe and walking from your front door. SJPdP is an arbitrary starting point because the guidebooks have to start somewhere.
Regarding SJPP to ??... i am spending my first nights arrival in Pamplona, 2 nights in SJPP and 1 night in Borda - those are my first 4 nights that are eating up a few of my days unfortunately.

I was thinking that you had 24 walking days. Including the day that you walk to Borda how many days do you have before your flight home? That might influence my advice. You may want to take the bus or train to either León or Astorga from Pamplona rather than Logroño. After you have walked to Pamplona you will have a better idea of how far you can walk each day, and can make a decision on where you should skip to to restart the Camino.

Ha, not so sure of my ability! I hike often here in AZ but mostly short distance with steep elevations. Regarding walking: I do between 10k- 20k steps many days of the week. I think 15 km will be OK there but definitely a stretch doing it EVERYDAY!! But I'm a stubborn person so will definitely try hard!! I love your route idea. I'm not wanting to do this as a race to the end however! I want to enjoy and take breaks to enjoy thr camino. It's really sad for me that I can't afford to do entire route to keep the friends I make but I will just have to deal

Okay, so you’re another poor pilgrim who is going to spend at least a day if not more faffing about traveling away from Pamplona just so you can walk through Pamplona, at least in the right direction, some five or six days into your allotted time.
Why not just start walking towards Santiago from Pamplona? The poor bloody Camino does not start in some randomly selected provincial French town. It never did and never does. The Camino starts where and when a Pilgrim starts walking to the shrine of Santiago. Get to Pamplona, face West, start walking. And if you lose your accommodation booking fees just look at how much you’ve saved in bus, train and taxi fares. 😊 smiley added to try and reflect that I am trying to be helpful and kind despite my bewilderment

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lots of good ideas. My thoughts.
Don’t worry too much about leaving your Camino friends/family. You will make new friends. And it will be perfect.
If you love planning and figuring things out then maybe take the advice of @Jo Jo and skip bits and pieces as they come along.
If you would like more of the ‘walk-eat-sleep-repeat’ rhythm in your Camino then take a bus after Pamplona to wherever you figure out will get you to Santiago in your allocated time.
You will need to know your average days walking capability. These days I work on an average of 17 Km per day. I might still walk a 33 Km day but I will also walk some 10 Km days. Most people under 50 years can probably average 20 Km per day. Of course we have those super-people who can average much more but I think they are the minority.
If you want to experience the vibe of SJPP/ Pyrenees and walking into Santiago then no matter what you choose to do in the middle (and that might change as you walk), get to Sarria in time to walk the last 100 Km, arrive in Santiago with some walking buddies and get your certificate. If you arrive in Santiago in the morning you might not need an extra day to enjoy the town.
Anyway my suggestion is not to fret too much or try and figure it all out ahead of time. Just start and listen to the Camino - it holds its own special wisdom for each of us.
Blessings and Buen Camino ❤️

Ah, the “entire route”, Erehwon to Llareggub via the Yellow Brick Road. Kensington Gore to Piccadilly via Mornington Crescent. Timbuktu to Cairo on the 100 day road. Mandalay anyway you can get there. My house to the Old Star.
One of my employees, years ago in another life, served at the counter of my Whole Food shop. He often offered up the following whole food recipe “fry four whole rashers of bacon in a whole lot of bacon fat. Place the four whole rashers between two whole slices of bread. Eat.”

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sooooo helpful!!! Thank u!!! As I was prepping on an AZ hike, I also thought about walking until 2 days b4 my flight leaves Santiago. Maybe I could bus or train it from wherever I am to Santiago at very last minute!!! Like you said, I really dont want to lose any friends I make so this new idea of mind may also work?

Ahhhhhh... thank u!!! So leaving friends worse than making new ones closer to Santiago!? Sooo helpful! I just came up with idea about walking until my last 2 days, then take bus or train to Santiago!? Thoughts on that?
By that time, you may want the Compostela. For which you'll need to walk the final 100km.

Hi and delighted to hear you are ready to start. You have received tons of wise suggestions; not sure if I can add anything. If you only have 24 days and assume going at the Brierley pace of 33 days then you need to 'skip' 9 stages!! My suggestion would be to 'skip' those in one block early on on the way and then you will be walking with the same pilgrims for the last couple of weeks into Santiago. Just this male logic make sense!!! Buen Camino.

€83,-
Hi and delighted to hear you are ready to start. You have received tons of wise suggestions; not sure if I can add anything. If you only have 24 days and assume going at the Brierley pace of 33 days then you need to 'skip' 9 stages!! My suggestion would be to 'skip' those in one block early on on the way and then you will be walking with the same pilgrims for the last couple of weeks into Santiago. Just this male logic make sense!!! Buen Camino.
Thank you so much!!!!

You are sooo right!!! And I am realizing now that I could take bus or train from my ending point to Santiago Airport. I will let the cards fall as they do
Please let us know what you decide to do… I’m totally invested in your Camino now😉
When do you start ? Snd what’s your “hard stop day in SDC?”

A first Camino is always best continuous from the start and arriving in Compostela on foot from your start.

No matter which route !!

Start from however far you're confident of walking, don't treat it like a simple pleasure trip -- though it will be that as well, despite the pains and occasional hardship along the way.

Push yourself, don't "cheat", and be careful of those telling you it's "your" Camino to do with as you like.

It's ours -- it belongs to us all, and the best Camino is in respect of that and yet inside your own personal limitations as well as for your own personal goals.

Don't "skip" anything please, not for a first one -- but walk to Santiago all the Way from wherever you may start. Just choose that place well !!

€60,-
You are walking into this with Great Expectations. That's a load too heavy for any long-distance pilgrim. You are setting yourself up for disappointment and disillusion.
Start in Logrono or Burgos. Live each day to the max, with your senses wide open. When you arrive, you'll get your big rush, but you'll have a zillion more lovely thrills along the Way, every day.

A first Camino is always best continuous from the start and arriving in Compostela on foot from your start.

No matter which route !!

Start from however far you're confident of walking, don't treat it like a simple pleasure trip -- though it will be that as well, despite the pains and occasional hardship along the way.

Push yourself, don't "cheat", and be careful of those telling you it's "your" Camino to do with as you like.

It's ours -- it belongs to us all, and the best Camino is in respect of that and yet inside your own personal limitations as well as for your own personal goals.

Don't "skip" anything please, not for a first one -- but walk to Santiago all the Way from wherever you may start. Just choose that place well !!

Skipping, switching mid camino from one to another, breaking up a camino into bits for now and later- is absolutley fine :) Remember this isn't the forum members camino :) There is no "our" ;) It's your camino.

Faffing: verb. Performing an action of little intrinsic value with an un-deserving intensity 😉

Well, that’s as polite as I can get it
Where I am from (London suburbs) we tend to say ‘fannying about’ , rather than faff / - (Yes really and it’s not what folks from the USA may thinks it means…

To waste time or fool around; to engage in activity which produces little or no accomplishment

1. To waste time or procrastinate by doing something unproductive or unhelpful; to fool around or spend time idly. Primarily heard in UK. Would you quit fannying about and give me a hand cleaning the house?I should have started this essay last week, but I've been fannying about with my new video game console.
2. To wander around a place, especially in an aimless or idle manner. Primarily heard in UK. After I quit my job, I spent six months fannying about Paris.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Skipping, switching mid camino from one to another, breaking up a camino into bits for now and later- is absolutley fine :) Remember this isn't the forum members camino :) There is no "our" ;) It's your camino.
There's a qualitative difference between a first Camino and the next ones -- and the Camino isn't thine ; it's not thy personal possession.

It is something shared between us.

One should never encourage the taking away from either the personal element nor the social element nor the traditional element of the Way of Saint James.

It is ontologically better to walk continuously to Santiago on one's first Camino from one's start than it is to skip and hop along it as if on a pick & choose rambling trail.

I like the schedule Joe Walsh put up simply because of its ease. He and I have done it for years with our groups and pilgrims love having the break from walking in the middle (a lot of people hit the wall at Logroño) and time to see all the big sites. I'd say 80% of them return on their own the following year to pick up the middle section they missed. The nice thing about that schedule is being able to walk from SJPP to Logroño and then being able to walk again from Astorga and the kilometers necessary to get your Compostela.

Some people only walk from Sarria to Santiago and that is considered to be a full Camino -- the Camino starts at YOUR door - so, do whatever feels right for you, and disregard the naysayers. That's my advice.

This is wise advice. @J Willhaus is an experienced hospitalera who knows the Camino very well. I would do the same if I felt I had time constraints. Do not skip the Meseta, IMHO: It is your time of reflection in an endless landscape in Northern Spain.

Perhaps starting with the purpose of your Camino will provide the answer.

There is a qualitative difference in a continuous walk.

If you really want to walk over the Pyrenes and see Pamplona then perhaps you should do that and then take a bus or train to start your camino in Burgos, Sahagun, Leon ….

Select a starting point that allows you time to relax, find your pace.

You’ll meet friends and will eventually meet the ones that you’ll likely walk into Santiago with, if none of you have injuries from trying to keep up an artificial pace.

Or you could leave the Pyrenes for a future trip and from the airport to your starting point and have a relaxing and potentially more fulfilling camino.

Perhaps you will arrive when a bucket-listing, box-checking, badge collecting tour group pays for you to see the Botafumeiro. 😊

It’s the journey. It’s not the destination.

Having been in your situation, as well as, having walked several times. I would suggest skipping the meseta. It is something that if you get the chance to walk again that you can always do then. The meseta is the section on the camino that provides solitude for those that are looking for it. So it helps to provide this facet of a camino, but you will have other stretches of your walk that will give you this in smaller doses. You don't know when and where you are going to meet people on your camino, it could be day one, or it could be later. On my third camino, I walked into a bar and ran into someone that I had met on my second camino. You just never know. Buen Camino!
That happened to me as we walked out of Astorga. Walked into a bar and found someone I had met 3 years before in Navarette. You just dont know who you'll meet and when.

On a practical note, if you have limited days, you want to do as little skipping about as possible, as these activities chew up your time, giving you more travel days and less 'walking' days.
Although I love to start in SJPDP, it's not that easy to get to, and can chew up a day just getting there.
Starting in one of the major cities means less bus/train/wait time and you get the most walking time out of your days.
I would pick a place you think you can walk from and walk from there to Santiago - and days left over can take you to the coast.
My last Camino in 2019 was from Leon, with my grandson, and husband. It was no less memorable than the early Caminos on my own, and for my husband and grandson (their first Camino) it was absolutely amazing. Both now want to walk further next time. You wont miss what you don't know, but you may go back when you have more time and walk a different path.

Last edited:
Burgos is 21 walking days out, this gives you some extra time for a smaller breakdown/layover due to injury and coming into SdC in good time.
You will have the first part on your to do list as a good 12 days walk another time around.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the entire Camino from SJPP to Santiago last year and I´m planning to come back and skip some parts. I would definetely skip the meseta, from Burgos to Leon or more to Astorga. This part, the meseta is monotonous , some parts without shades if you go on a sunny day. I did on a a bike , but when I´ll return I would do on a e-bike and stopping and spending some rest days in the variuous wineries on the camino. Wine experience is another attraction on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think your walking days are a bit of track. 🥱🥱

If you hope to "walk across America," you don't get to Chicago and hop a train to Vegas and continue on from there. If you do that, you have NOT walked across America.
If you intend to walk the Camino and get the greatest benefit, Walk it continuously, from wherever you start. Otherwise, you're just doing a scenic hike. (no one else is going to really care.)

No matter which route !!

Exactly. Just start closer to Santiago like Burgos. Skipping parts will just make you feel you didn't really walk the camino. One year I got shinsplint really bad and though "walking" most days - I still took a bus from belorado to burgos and had an extra day in Burgos. No matter what - taking the bus still made me feel like I had cheated.

Faffing: verb. Performing an action of little intrinsic value with an un-deserving intensity 😉

Well, that’s as polite as I can get it
Just like when I once used "flogging sh.t" in a conversation and two americans asked what that meant.

€83,-
I have pondered this one many times. I have concluded that the best option for me is to start in SJPDP and walk as far as I can in the time I have, and return to finish as the differences of each section of the Camino forms an important part of the whole experience.

Failing this, my advice would be to start at St Jean and 'play it by ear' a little for the opportunities to skip ahead a day here and there according to how you are feeling, what the weather is doing and how you are relating to others on the trail - Camino Family.

I personally would not aim to miss a major section as a single chunk and definitely not miss the opportunity to start at SJPDP where there is a special sense of excitement to be shared with others starting.
The local bus services are fantastic and easy to use - no pre-planning required.

I walked my first Camino Frances with my 12YO son and we jumped ahead at several points where we needed to make up a little time, and also because we felt it was the right thing to do at the time to keep our morale up and to stay in touch with some faster moving Camino Family members.

For example we used the local buses to skip the stage into Burgos, the stage into Leon, and a section between Leon and Astorga. By bussing into the big cities we missed some of the city zone walking and extended our rest days.

If I had to suggest a few 'pre-planned' stages to skip based on the quality of the walking I would suggest skipping:
  • the stage into Leon
  • especially the stage from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo (also about a stage and a half).
  • I would definitely not miss the Meseta as a whole (personally my favourite section of the Frances) but there will be a stage or two, particularly between Sahagun and Leon where the variety of landscape lessens.
  • possibly skipping the stage entering Burgos from Villafranca - the last bus stop before Burgos (actually a stage and a half) - although you do miss a couple of unique trail sections
  • You could also plan to do your rest days bussing ahead rather than staying insitu - gives you body a rest and keeps you in touch with friends.
  • We also found we got quite fit and by later in the journey we were walking longer days and thoroughly enjoying it. We got to Sarria late in the morning and decided on a whim to keep walking to Portomarin - a day we will certainly remember. We probably shortened out journey by two or three days by this means overall.

I would say, skip nothing and come back a other time to walk and arrive in Santiago de Compostela. 🙏

Decide when you get there.

I
I have pondered this one many times. I have concluded that the best option for me is to start in SJPDP and walk as far as I can in the time I have, and return to finish as the differences of each section of the Camino forms an important part of the whole experience.

Failing this, my advice would be to start at St Jean and 'play it by ear' a little for the opportunities to skip ahead a day here and there according to how you are feeling, what the weather is doing and how you are relating to others on the trail - Camino Family.

I personally would not aim to miss a major section as a single chunk and definitely not miss the opportunity to start at SJPDP where there is a special sense of excitement to be shared with others starting.
The local bus services are fantastic and easy to use - no pre-planning required.

I walked my first Camino Frances with my 12YO son and we jumped ahead at several points where we needed to make up a little time, and also because we felt it was the right thing to do at the time to keep our morale up and to stay in touch with some faster moving Camino Family members.

For example we used the local buses to skip the stage into Burgos, the stage into Leon, and a section between Leon and Astorga. By bussing into the big cities we missed some of the city zone walking and extended our rest days.

If I had to suggest a few 'pre-planned' stages to skip based on the quality of the walking I would suggest skipping:
  • the stage into Leon
  • especially the stage from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo (also about a stage and a half).
  • I would definitely not miss the Meseta as a whole (personally my favourite section of the Frances) but there will be a stage or two, particularly between Sahagun and Leon where the variety of landscape lessens.
  • possibly skipping the stage entering Burgos from Villafranca - the last bus stop before Burgos (actually a stage and a half) - although you do miss a couple of unique trail sections
  • You could also plan to do your rest days bussing ahead rather than staying insitu - gives you body a rest and keeps you in touch with friends.
  • We also found we got quite fit and by later in the journey we were walking longer days and thoroughly enjoying it. We got to Sarria late in the morning and decided on a whim to keep walking to Portomarin - a day we will certainly remember. We probably shortened out journey by two or three days by this means overall.
Wish I had read this in advance cuz just did Leon to Hospital Orbigo and it sucked . Lol!!!! Really appreciate your suggestions, especially bussing instead of rest days. After today, I feel like I need a big rest!

I

Wish I had read this in advance cuz just did Leon to Hospital Orbigo and it sucked . Lol!!!! Really appreciate your suggestions, especially bussing instead of rest days. After today, I feel like I need a big rest!
Ahh yes - the infamous escape from Leon! Things change dramatically for the better from this point on - enjoy!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back