• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving late in St Jean

Pcoyne

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
My train will arrive in SJPP around 8:30 in the evening. This is my first time there and I have no clue on direction or where the property is where I am staying. Just the address. I just planned on letting google maps direct me there. Is that a good idea or should I get a taxi to take me? I assume it will be dark and it’s a little over a mile to the property.

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is a small town. You just follow everyone up the hill from the train station. Will you have cell service? Are you extending your US service to international service? If so Google maps is ok or save the directions to your phone in advance if not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St Jean is a small town. It's only about a ten minute walk into the center of the town from the train station. You do not need a taxi.
Perhaps it would help if you told us where you are staying and we can tell you exactly how to get there.
Also if you have a pilgrim's guidebook the inset map of St Jean will show you where your accommodations are in relation to the train station.

If your hotel is in gronze.com open the webpage that gives a more detailed description of your hotel. On the middle of the page you will see a small map. Under the map there is a link that reads open map. If you click on the link you will be directed to google maps and you can then press start and google maps will take you to your hotel. No need to enter any address or name. As others have all mentioned it is a small town and easy to get around. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello OP are you there? :D

St Jean is a small town. It's only about a ten minute walk into the center of the town from the train station. You do not need a taxi.
Perhaps it would help if you told us where you are staying and we can tell you exactly how to get there.
Also if you have a pilgrim's guidebook the inset map of St Jean will show you where your accommodations are in relation to the train station.
Thanks. I am staying at the Hotel Camou. Another property opened up that I may switch to instead. It’s located on Chemin D'Olhonce. I haven’t decided to switch yet though.

Thanks again.

The Camou is a 15 minute walk from the train station. Follow everyone into town getting off the train, dnd turn right at the main commercial street. Some pilgrims will cross the street and head into old town towards the pilgrim office. You can do that too if you want, or make a right and cross the river by the only bridge. Once over the bridge, turn right on the other only commercial street, and you are five minutes away on foot. By day 5 of your pilgrimage, you won't give such navigation a second thought. SJPP is a small town. Another reason to have data working on your phone though.....google maps is an invaluable tool for finding this and all of your other destinations, although this one is so easy, you won't need it. You can also download the directions on your phone in google maps before you go, and use it even without your data working.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My train will arrive in SJPP around 8:30 in the evening. This is my first time there and I have no clue on direction or where the property is where I am staying. Just the address. I just planned on letting google maps direct me there. Is that a good idea or should I get a taxi to take me? I assume it will be dark and it’s a little over a mile to the property.

Thanks!
I find the free app MAPY the most useful for hiking. Simply download the area you are going to be in and you won’t need connectivity (ie, data). But do make sure you also select “outdoor” mode to get the world’s trails including Caminos. You can also use it for streets, etc and directions. If you click “tracking” it’ll also very accurately record distance and ascent / descent walked.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The pilgrims office will be open also. They stay open for people arriving on the late train.
If not they open early in the morning for maps, shells, local information etc

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back