• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrow trickery on the Olvidado

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ender just sent me a picture of an arrow that some pilgrims followed yesterday and wound up getting lost in the mountains. This is not an official Camino marking. Do not follow it!FA3C5D66-D912-42D3-92CC-FD597206C3DF.jpeg

Some details. In the town of Boñar, there are two options. One is up through the mountains to Vegacervera. It is well marked. It is referred to as stage 13 B on the official website. The other option, also well marked, stays low and goes from Boñar to La Robla. It is referred to as 13 A.

The 13 A option passes through the town of Aviados where there is a private albergue. The 13 B option does not go through that town. At some point on the 13B route, someone has put this sign directing pilgrims to Aviados.

If you take that turn off and manage to get yourself to Aviados, you will find that you are not on the route to Vegacervera but rather back on the route to La Robla. Even worse, if you get lost, you’re out in the mountains somewhere.

Ender is heading out to see what he can do, which will probably involve ripping out the sign, but he will go to Aviados and see what’s going on. But he wanted me to post this heads up in case there are people heading out and who might take the turn off.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie,
Glad that you mentioned this so that those on the Olvidado camino now know the good/bad possibilities. On any camino following an arrow the wrong way can be chaotic.
In this case, the most likely culprit is a commercial enterprise seeking to increase business. That is probably the main source of these arrow wars (think O Porriño outside of Tui).

But that’s not the only source of resistance when we get out into remote mountain areas. These untraveled mountain routes may encounter a lot of negative reaction from the locals who have not yet felt the caminon “invasion” and who are accustomed to ranging freely to hunt and enjoy ”their” wilderness. I remember when Ender first put up the metal Salvador arrows, there was a concerted effort from some (probably hunters) that involved going up there and turning the arrows in different directions. Well before the days of prevalent GPS usage, it created a real risk for pilgrims. Ender made appearances in all the local villages and implored the locals to stop, noting that the consequences could be very severe if a pilgrim got lost out there. The `practice of re-orienting the arrows stopped, but the intimidation didn’t — if you walk the Salvador and pay attention, you can still see a few metal arrows or conch shells with bullet holes. Thankfully that is all behind us now, at least on the Salvador!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ender just sent me a picture of an arrow that some pilgrims followed yesterday and wound up getting lost in the mountains. This is not an official Camino marking. Do not follow it!View attachment 126727

Some details. In the town of Boñar, there are two options. One is up through the mountains to Vegacervera. It is well marked. It is referred to as stage 13 B on the official website. The other option, also well marked, stays low and goes from Boñar to La Robla. It is referred to as 13 A.

The 13 A option passes through the town of Aviados where there is a private albergue. The 13 B option does not go through that town. At some point on the 13B route, someone has put this sign directing pilgrims to Aviados.

If you take that turn off and manage to get yourself to Aviados, you will find that you are not on the route to Vegacervera but rather back on the route to La Robla. Even worse, if you get lost, you’re out in the mountains somewhere.

Ender is heading out to see what he can do, which will probably involve ripping out the sign, but he will go to Aviados and see what’s going on. But he wanted me to post this heads up in case there are people heading out and who might take the turn off.
If I recall, this is at the top of the first major climb, where you have a great 360 degree view. Another reason to have an app accessible with GPS tracks.

I can't remember what town we had reached on a searing hot GR65 day. There were confusing arrows/signs and a local couple came around the corner, pointing out of town to the left, insisting we not come into the town. 5 extra miles and a large loop later, we ended up on the other side of the town. Lesson learned to check a map before making a choice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can't blame a local for wanting to divert pilgrim traffic to their commercial enterprise. But, please, have a heart!! We may be hungry and weary, and sending us out on the wrong path leaves a terrible impression about the entire town.

What's the best way to avoid falling for the trap?
GPS? This is disturbing.

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
GPS? This is disturbing.

Ultreia!
Totally agree that a GPS is essential for this camino. There are too many times when you are out in remote mountain areas. The marking is generally very good, but it would be, IMHO, irresponsible to go without GPS unless you are a whiz with a compass and a map.

But, this particular arrow should raise suspicion to anyone who sees it. For one thing, a quick glance at the map will tell you that if you are on the alternative to Vegacervera you do not want to go through the town of Aviados. And for another, the sign is unlike any other Olvidado sign, which either consist of typical camino markings or the unique camino Olvidado brown metal markings.

GPS? This is disturbing.

Ultreia!
With one known exception there is no trap. Just variants to the routes. Some official, to get around roadworks or get pilgrims off a highway, some not so official- because the official variant has taken foot traffic and therefore custom away from local businesses. And then there’s that there is no one in charge unless they choose to be and even then they’re not really ( except the Galician Tourismo).
A free mapping app, maps.me for instance, and some basic navigation skills - the sun never shines from the North in Spain- is all you need.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
you can still see a few metal arrows or conch shells with bullet holes.
Wow, the Spanish are indeed passionate people!

I use GPS on both phone and watch, the one on my watch appears as breadcrumbs trail with route elevation/descent profile, and if I want to see the bigger map I go to my phone. It’s meant to be waterproof up to 20m and can be used for diving but on a particularly wet Galician day, the watch display stopped working! Had to reset it in different ways, when it finally started working again, I could record an exercise but the navigation only followed about half an hour into the walk. Technology!

Hopefully I don’t need to go back to paper chart and compass on the Salvador 😅 although that was quite fun back then (high school Duke of Edinburgh expeditions)

In this case, the most likely culprit is a commercial enterprise seeking to increase business. That is probably the main source of these arrow wars (think O Porriño outside of Tui).
I remember well, on a scorching hot day cursing that particular bar owner just beyond the mess of arrows as I trudged the concrete pavements through the industrial area of porriño for a couple of hours afterwards.

A quick glance at offline maps.me with overlaid camino routes gets me out of trouble these days. It's taken me through the odd hedge, but it keeps me mostly on track if I'm in doubt..

Hopefully I don’t need to go back to paper chart and compass on the Salvador 😅 although that was quite fun back then (high school Duke of Edinburgh expeditions)
That should always be your final backup. Sometimes GPS doesn't work. A map and compass, generally do. I always try to have some sort of paper (or laminated A4 sections) map, in the back pocket of my ruck along with a small compass.

The other thing I have when walking is a simple list of every town (and maybe village) name on the route I am walking, so I can look at it and in a couple of seconds work out where I am going and if I need to ask someone I can ask them which way to an exact destination.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ender just sent me a picture of an arrow that some pilgrims followed yesterday and wound up getting lost in the mountains. This is not an official Camino marking. Do not follow it!View attachment 126727

I followed this beautifully crafted sign yesterday, after chilling at an antique laundry spot. Brought me onto a road with no shade, and required crossing a field, train tracks and field to get onto dirt road again. IMG_20220722_195402.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_111836.jpg
    IMG_20220721_111836.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220721_110542.jpg
    IMG_20220721_110542.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
I followed this beautifully crafted sign yesterday, after chilling at an antique laundry spot. Brought me onto a road with no shade, and required crossing a field, train tracks and field to get onto dirt road again. View attachment 129863
@AshIreGal, I’m pretty sure you are saying that this is another instance of “arrow trickery” on the Olvidado. This is on the day from Cistierna to Boñar, correct? Any idea what the purpose of it is? Why would someone want to take you off the Olvidado at that spot?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well I'm not sure. I imagine it was designed as a matter of kindness, perhaps for the bicycles. I also came on a route that crossed a railway track, passed an old quarry, crossed fields, up an old road under trees and then out onto a new forest dirt road, until finally arriving into the village on an upper level, and by the fountain and laundry area. I also directly passed the church, but the Camino route for the 'orange app' was on a lower level, and I would guess not as interesting. If I had descending I would have followed arrows onto the track, however as the main road had lots of villagers on their daily walk, the sign may have been to help cars, bicycles or perhaps walkers who like asphalt.

I have heard that the arrow pictured in the original post will trick peregrinos no more. Unfortunately, it seems that the one who took care of the problem whacked himself in the head with it as he was pulling it out, so maybe the owner of the albergue in Aviados has some supernatural powers.
Wow.. and a girl who walked a few days before me, said she did her best to get the damn thing out, but to no joy. Screws etc...I with my little Spanish, somehow passed it, and spent the day awaiting this *Sign* that was going to trick me. 🤫🤭😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back