• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Garmin inReach on the Camino Olvidado

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Garmin inReach is a must. 🙏
Thanks! I can swipe one from my oldest...it's his go to for his ultramarathons. I just use a phone normally...and an Applewatch. Oh no!! I could easily become THAT geek...with a watch on each wrist!! LOL!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks! I can swipe one from my oldest...it's his go to for his ultramarathons. I just use a phone normally...and an Applewatch. Oh no!! I could easily become THAT geek...with a watch on each wrist!! LOL!
The best kind of geek! And, while a Garmin watch or my apple ultra might suffice…. as a woman, I’ll be taking an inReach as a “just in case”.

The best kind of geek! And, while a Garmin watch or my apple ultra might suffice…. as a woman, I’ll be taking an inReach as a “just in case”.
Of course your choice if you already have one but I don't want other Forum members to get the impression that a €400 specialized satellite communication instrument (works when no mobile connection is available) is necessary to walk the Olvidado. It also requires a monthly membership fee to use. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Garmin Instinct 2s (smaller version) solar. Although the solar function is not necessarily required, I had my gps function on at all times so I wanted to make sure that my battery would not run out.

I'm no tech geek - actually far from it but I am sooooo glad that I brought a power pack with me. Even though my phone was on airplane mode, every day but 2 (short stages) I needed to charge my phone while walking.

Hi,
I'm going to attempt to spell out an approach to the etapa from Bonar to Vegacervega, especially for anyone worried and new to this camino...
There is no need.
This will not be a purist approach...
but if worried here is a handy option.

Feve Times for August 2023 (Google and Rome2Rio are wrong).

6.00am leave Hostel Nisi (by the way, neither Nisi or Moderno, are doing the breakfast trays). Lots of supermarkets so no hassle. Horse something into you ... Then follow Google maps to train station. It is a 6 min fast walk. Very straightforward.

Buy ticket ..€1.65

Train to Leon arrived 6.24 am.
Get on and do 2 stops on Camino. Get off at Otera (go towards Tunnel and head uphill).. downhill is La Robla option. (6.30am)

It will be dark still... But you now walk 4 or 5km and get to wake up legs and listen to birdsong. Easy walking and no cars.

You will cross an lovely old bridge and then head LEFT (there are arrows) to something like a tourist office in town starting with Veh...then up the easy hill to town of Mata de B.

So by the time, I got to the dirt road uphill, it was 7.30 and bright. I was still slow and asleep. Sun will be behind the hills though, so don't dilly dally. Keep going! Slow and steady. You will get up the next hill without a sweat if you can beat the sun.

Slowly, and continuously go uphill for 30 minutes and you reach the first Coll (valley between 2 high points on either side). There is a arrow for Camino and others. Focus on yellow ones only. Catch your breath. Catch the views. Wow. Sun was warm at this point, but still behind the hill.
It is now 8am ish.

(I got bitten by a tick / or something, and since the course of antibiotics, I burn badly regardless of sun factor, and today was going to a hot one).

Now a gorgeous flat one person path around the horseshoe in the shade of oak forests. You will go through 1 gate. Eventually after about 30 minutes, you will be looking across at the COLL you arrived at initially. By now it was 8.30 ish.
Sun is up, but you are still in mostly shade of trees.

Eventually you will come to the famous Jose Cunarro photo of the fence and the steps.

...keep going.. then the view of the village across another valley.

Once the village is in sight you will be soon hanging a Sharp Left Uphill again... (I missed this last year, as was high on life, completely not thinking and just keep walking around to the village). No excuse... I knew where I was supposed to go, just forget and possibly looking at village and missed the turn off uphill. No harm done in cool weather...

Ok.. so now it is 9.30 ish

Slow and steady uphill.. gorgeous and sun at your back and long shadows ahead of you... Getting hot already🔥

Just before 10.00am you arrive at the cow pastures and that is the end of the climbing.

The arrows are great now, but keep an eye of your GPX track. If cows in your way, you may be pushed to the right and before you know it, no arrows anywhere. (Hello.. yes me .. first time before phones and tracking).

10.00 to 11.00
You can relax ABIT more.
When you hit the first sign, mentally force yourself to always track more to the LEFT hill than RIGHT.

In 3 minutes, you find a big pile of cement electricity poles. They have a yellow arrow.

The cows can be distracting... Just heads up, in the next 3 minutes you are looking for another BIG IRON sign moving you to a flattened grass road to your LEFT. Almost a 90 degree turn. Perfect ... Now follow that road downhill. You will pass a cow fountain with a yellow arrow. Cows probably there drinking ...calves with them, so they looked more nervous looking than usual. Keep a wide berth and leave them alone.

Downhill to the village for 11ish and on time for fish and ice-cream van. Panderia van will be tomorrow according to the locals. Super gorgeous Village.

Then its a long walk downhill on the main road. About 3 cars passed me. I took a ridiculous 2 hour break under a tree. Have a gas canister, cup and small brs3000 and it means I can have coffee whenever. I would bring this instead of Garmin. 😜

You pass another gorgeous village. You may get the panderia van here instead.

Another off-road section down to a mining or electrical building...

15. Main road for a few minutes (busy)

Walk into Vegacervega
Head for church first and you can climb up to bell.
Then head to the only shop (Google it... Local produce) for yoghurt and fruit and chocolate. If you eat ham, they have lots and lots of the stuff in all sorts of varieties. It closes at 2pm until evening... But now you have everything you need, so walk to the fantastically welcoming albergue.

Hope this helps. You'll be fine. If you avoid the sun and heat, it isn't difficult.

Excuse the spelling errors.. texting on phone and ready for sleep.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back