• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arzua town reacts to plans to bypass town

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...o-actual-camino-norte/0003_201309S18C9991.htm

Arzúa has not been idle before the delimitation that the Ministry of Culture prepares for the North Road, which, according to the record under public information includes historical variant away from the town center, relegating the current path to the category of a complement,ary path. This is the one that crosses the French Way in the town. The association of hoteliers in Arzua prompted a petition campaign seeking public support to urge the regional government to keep current itinerary as a priority.
Under the slogan "Non perdamos o Norte", hospitality Arzua strikes key neighbours in protest and, in turn, is directed reproachfully to the regional authorities, which, if possible, will formally get the support staff collected through the Ministry of Culture Arzúa to move tomorrow to present the historical route of the Northern Way. There will be in a meeting at the Guildhall, attended by the spokespersons of the three local political groups, local representatives of the hospitality sector and rural tourism, and the president of the regional association of employers, from which already Heritage wrote to express their disagreement with the historical variant to constitute the Pilgrim ' or main driver for economic survival vila da nosa , "the letter reads.
"At the grocery store where I buy oranges for breakfast, the bakery, the bicycle repair business ..." says one of many Arzúa hostelry, which insists on the idea that "many businesses would have to close their doors without the Camino de Santiago "and not just their own sector. "Most Arzúa establishments is where they live," he says. This is why "everyone is very aware and even pilgrims themselves, who sign without offering the blade to do it" he says.
Add this hospitality arzuana that "on the route they want to do nothing mounted officer, nobody is going to feel hurt and those already invested and we have to pay." It points to the North Road is a route on the rise, as well highlighted in the Pilgrim Office of Santiago, which, in the first eight months of this year, 10,318 issued certificates associated with that route compared with 5,607 delivered same period in 2008.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not sure what this notice means, are they diverting the Norte route from Arzua all together which means they might give it, its own entry point to Santiago. Or are they just diverting a few km north of Arzua and rejoining the Frances somewhere between there and Brea. I can understand any shops between Boimorto and Arzua getting uptight, that is a considerable foot trade passing by being diverted but not in Arzua itself, 12000 is just a drop in the ocean considering the amount of new pilgrims the Frances gets year after year after year.

Just had a look around and the new proposed route would join at lavacolla- not sure if that is where the route passes the airport or a few km on where the actual place is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to find out more about the route changes have a look at this link and the entry for the 25 september, www.caminodelnorte.es. There is two links from there to sites which are acting in defence of the existing route, its not just about shopkeepers with these sites but the fact that the new shorter(maybe more historically correct) route will miss out Baamonde and from the looks of the diagrams Miraz as well.

This could go a long way to explaining why they built the albergue at Boimorto which before did not seem the best place to get maximum use for the funds they spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bypassing Miraz after the years of hard work by the CSJ to restore an albergue there will be a travesty!

Having just walked through where they plan to divert the Norte away from I can't understand why. Of all the Norte it was the best marked, had the smallest amount of road walking and had some of the best albergues. Why mess with perfection?

My initial reaction was what happens to the albergues and all the other services that have had a lot of hardwork put into them. Im not sure now if it goes ahead it will be a big problem for them. The xunta wont be able to build all the required albergues for several years and in the mean time the rate of pilgrims keeps growing, a new route would complement the existing way and help take the burden off it at vital times. Im going to take a guess that when the new route connecting lavacolla opens the last 100 km will seem appealing to a lot more people
after a credencial, it will have a complete route feel to it, not half norte and half frances.

The local conellos may be motivated to try and establish paths with less aspahalt walking and there is a some, just generally have a look at the camino going through their regions and see what if any anything they can do to make it the desired option.

Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am planning on doing my pilgrimage in June of 2015. Does anyone know how this proposal will affect pilgrims walking the Camino Del Norte? Have they started re-routing the route? Will the old route still be available to walk? Any news or advice would be appreciated?

Would not worry in the least Sassy,

I am planning on doing my pilgrimage in June of 2015. Does anyone know how this proposal will affect pilgrims walking the Camino Del Norte? Have they started re-routing the route? Will the old route still be available to walk? Any news or advice would be appreciated?

Hi 2Sassytravellers,

Could you please get Mike who offers you advice on the Norte to write me a letter.
Its Boxing Day plus 4 here in Oz and the lad has not spoken since his beloved has left their shores.
He knows what i mean.....lol

Sassy , as previously said the Norte is wonderful.
For your age group you are visiting seriously beautiful towns with a different outlook than many on the Frances. Most will be your age group and we found many young ones from the eastern part of europe on the walk explaining they just wanted to reach Santiago and did not want to rush and or crowds.
Variance in accommodation and not as expensive as Frances.
Hope you like fish to eat and sand to walk on.
This camino is gaining in popularity so go girl and enjoy.

David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'd heard a some second-hand reports about the plan to re-route the Norte but I missed this thread. I think it's a really important issue, so I'm going to start a new thread about this where the issue of re-routing is in the title. Cheers, tom

The latest edition of the CSJ bulletin gives an update on this issue. The new route will start after Vilaba, it is not there to replace the existing route more complement it. The CSJ also says there has been an agreement on how this should go forward.

This stretch at busy times it is a struggle to find somewhere to stay for the night, the newer route- from a contempary viewpoint, it may have a historical connection, has more places that can take the larger number of pilgrims that are flooding the route at certain times of the year.
The problem arose when the Xunta suddenly conjured this route and did not properly consult or reassure the interested parties.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.