• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beautiful towns on the Norte

peregrina2000

Staff member
I get a lot of spam from companies who have somehow found out I have a strong Spain connection. But this one has pictures of beautiful Asturian towns, many of which are on the Norte.

The number one town is Cudillero, just a short detour off the Norte and totally worth it. I stayed in Muros de Nalón and took an afternoon bus there.

Other towns noted include Ribadesella, Llanes, Villaviciosa, and Luarca, all on the Norte. Lastres is just a few kms off route and easy to walk to or taxi from Colunga. The Norte through Asturias is beautiful!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I get a lot of spam from companies who have somehow found out I have a strong Spain connection. But this one has pictures of beautiful Asturian towns, many of which are on the Norte.

The number one town is Cudillero, just a short detour off the Norte and totally worth it. I stayed in Muros de Nalón and took an afternoon bus there.

Other towns noted include Ribadesella, Llanes, Villaviciosa, and Luarca, all on the Norte. Lastres is just a few kms off route and easy to walk to or taxi from Colunga. The Norte through Asturias is beautiful!
My husband and I will be in Oviedo for a few days between 2 Camino walks and have the option to go to Cudillero and Luarca one day. It would be a little over 2 hrs driving time to do both. I was planning on Gijon and/or Aviles because they are closer to Oviedo, however I'd love to hear what there is to do in Cudillero and Luarca. What makes them so special?
We are planning to go to Ribadesella from Covadonga. Wanted to see the Bufones and recreation area outside of Ribadesella. What should we not miss in Ribadesella?
Thanks for any input and ideas!
Karen

There is a new donativo in Cudillero (Albergue La Concha) that is well worth a stay for anyone that chooses to venture off the beaten track of the Norte to experience this gem of a seaside village. It is only a km or so of a detour if my memory serves me well.

Thanks so much for sharing the webpage. My husband and I are hoping to walk the Camino del Norte next September. Hopefully, we will be able to visit some of those little towns.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I liked so many of the town on CDN, especially Castro-Urdiales. We stayed slightly off the trail the night after Bilbao in the small port town of Zierbena - I’d love to live there!

There is a new donativo in Cudillero (Albergue La Concha) that is well worth a stay for anyone that chooses to venture off the beaten track of the Norte to experience this gem of a seaside village. It is only a km or so of a detour if my memory serves me well.
It is not a donativo. You can reserve a bed here. It is a difficult building with lots of stairs and a difficult to access bathroom.

It is not a donativo. You can reserve a bed here. It is a difficult building with lots of stairs and a difficult to access bathroom.
Oh they must have have changed so, it was a donativo when I stayed there.

As for lots of stairs, I'm not sure what you mean, it is an old three storey building so yes there are stairs obviously.

'Difficult' is a very relative word and you state that the building and the bathroom are difficult. I didn't find either difficult in the slightest and the hosts were very welcoming.

When one is themselves difficult, I imagine many things in life must seem difficult !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

San Sebastian is fabulous. Spend a few days there

have the option to go to Cudillero and Luarca one day.
I loved both of those towns and spent nearly a full day in Cudillero and two nights in Luarca in early May this past Spring. All you need to do is google photos of both and you will see why they are so special and worth more time than a couple of hours!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.