• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Asthma on Camino Portuguése warning

AndyForsey

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Franćes 2922
Last year in April 2022 we walked from SJPP through to Santiago without any problems with my Asthma, the route was/is quite taxing for a 67 year old Asthmatic, the climbs being a challenge, however, as mentioned I had no problems. This year we (myself and my wife) decided to walk the CP from Lisbon to Santiago, we set out on the 8th Sept, and are now 2 days out from Porto, and I am currently resting up in a hotel as my Asthma has flared up, this I can only assume to be due to the amount of car/ lorry fumes I have inhaled on the walk so far. The Camino Francés has massive stretches that are through miles & miles of open countryside where the pollution levels were low and overall caused me no issue, but this year after walking days and days alongside busy road from Lisbon to Sao Joao de Madeira I am suffering badly. The route from Lisbon to Porto is very very Tarmac/Asphalt heavy with lots of polluting traffic, therefore, if you are an Asthmatic you might want to think long & hard about walking this leg of the Camino Portuguése.
Stay safe out there.
Andy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Once you are past Porto it will be better but I would recommend skipping the walk out of Porto as it city and then highway walking as well as going through the industrial zone of Maia. I would recommend taking a Uber or bus to Vilar do Pinheiro and start there.

Once you are past Porto it will be better but I would recommend skipping the walk out of Porto as it city and then highway walking as well as going through the industrial zone of Maia. I would recommend taking a Uber or bus to Vilar do Pinheiro and start there.
Thank you Lovelyshell, great advice which will be heeded!
Regards
Andy

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Maybe you should think about the coastal route (along the beaches) from Porto.
Take the historic tramway from near the cathedral along the river Douro mouthing into the atlantic and continue your pilgrimage from there.
Possibly the sea climate might be better for your asthma.

Maybe you should think about the coastal route (along the beaches) from Porto.
Take the historic tramway from near the cathedral along the river Douro mouthing into the atlantic and continue your pilgrimage from there.
Possibly the sea climate might be better for your asthma.
Thank you Camineiro, that’s pretty solid advice, we have two days in Porto and will formulate a plan!
Regards
Andy

I’ve found over 2 autumns in Spain that my asthma flares up this time of year whereas it’s very manageable over summer and even Spring wasn’t as bad. But each of us knows what causes a flare and what doesn’t. Therefore the advice above to help avoid vehicular pollutants sound good (and it sounds like more pleasant walking! Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found it very handy to wear a blue "COVID mask" while walking in cities and along traffic laden roads. The mask does a fantastic job filtering out dust, pollution and fine particulate matter. You get used to wearing it and actually miss it when you don't have it on. Speaking for myself of course.

I found it very handy to wear a blue "COVID mask" while walking in cities and along traffic laden roads. The mask does a fantastic job filtering out dust, pollution and fine particulate matter. You get used to wearing it and actually miss it when you don't have it on. Speaking for myself of course.
Might just try that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An alternative is to walk along the river to the sea and north along the seashore out of Porto, You can then cut back to the Central (as I did) or continue along the Coastal.

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.