• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

At What Time of Year or Month Is the Route Napoleon Likely Open

RJ in Mandeville

Time of past OR future Camino
Is it in all probability open in late April or is it later in May? And when in all likelihood will the route be closed? I understand weather is unpredictable, and there are no guarantees. But I am wondering what are the odds of it being open in late April, mid-May and so forth.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hard to say. I have crossed twice in late April OK.
But it's totally weather dependent.
Always have a Plan B in case it's closed that early in the season.

Is it in all probability open in late April or is it later in May? And when in all likelihood will the route be closed? I understand weather is unpredictable, and there are no guarantees. But I am wondering what are the odds of it being open in late April, mid-May and so forth.
Official it opens April 1st. , but it all depends off the weather.
Before leaving SJPdP ask the people in the Pilgrim Office, they will know.
Buen Camino 🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There is strict schedule for the opening and closing the route in addition to the local weather warnings. Pay heed because too many have had to been rescued at great expense to the safety of Bombeiros and themselves.

Official it opens April 1st. , but it all depends off the weather.
Before leaving SJPdP ask the people in the Pilgrim Office, they will know.
Buen Camino 🙏
Peter is referring to the Pilgrim Office at St. Jean Pied de Port, NOT the Pilgrim Office at Santiago. The SJPdP office is where starting pilgrims obtain the most current information on weather, trail conditions and accommodations. It is located at #39 Rue de la Citadel - the Main Street in the old town.

FYI - the office of Express Bourricot is next door at #37. If you are interested in sending luggage directly to Santiago, this the THE place to enquire.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I am wondering what are the odds
I don't have any statistics to base my bet on, but I have various "impressions" from years on the forum. My guess is that your odds are close to even throughout April - somewhat on the side of closures at the start of the month, and more on the side of opening at the end of the month. Odds of opening would be very high by the end of May, except, of course for possible systems that could obscure visibility at any time of year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to everyone who responded. C clearly, that was exactly what I was looking for, even if the information is anecdotal. I recognize weather is unpredictable, but it helps with planning a possible trek and deciding when to begin.

Generally aprily1st unless there is still lot if snow around or late storm comes through. Closes novemberish for same reason

• Prohibited by law: 1 November to 31 March. Every year.
  • Not recommended / not passable: Often the first few days in April of each year. The reason is old snow from the winter season that is still too high in some parts. My guess is - it’s just a guess, I have no evidence for it - that enough Camino walkers trudge across it or through it so that the trail becomes passable within the first few days of April.
  • Not recommended / not passable: Any day of the year. Rare. Depends on the weather. Note: There is no official warning system or “closure” mechanism. There was one time recently though when the Spanish auhtorities may have issued a prohibition to cross but that was due to wildfire over a small area.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back