• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ATM card with chip and PIN

jeffnd

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2014
So I got the mail today and Wells Fargo had sent me a new ATM/debit card. I wasn't sure why, because my current card still had several years until the expiration date. But then I look at the new card and see it's a chip and PIN card. "For our customers that live and travel overseas."

I thought I would post this because there have been several topics about credit/debit cards from America working in Europe or where to get a debit card that has chip and PIN. This is not an endorsement of Wells Fargo by any means! I've had more than a few issues with them over the years! But I thought I'd let everyone know that now there is another option to get a chip and PIN card.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is the beginning of the new security program for credit and debit cards worldwide, I think it has been implemented by First Data. I got my replacement Amex card in December with the microchip on the face. The problem is they are not ready to start issuing the pin code to complete the program. In Europe these kind of cards come with a bank provided pin code. You can continue to use your card in a swipe reader and in an ATM with your previous pin code but soon you will be able to use the card readers we all use here with your new four digit code once the banks in the US get their act together.

Canada has been using chip debit and credit cards for a few years, Europe even longer.

Most of the western world is using chip enabled cards

The US is in the early stages of rolling out chip enabled cards

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the beginning of the new security program for credit and debit cards worldwide, I think it has been implemented by First Data. I got my replacement Amex card in December with the microchip on the face. The problem is they are not ready to start issuing the pin code to complete the program. In Europe these kind of cards come with a bank provided pin code. You can continue to use your card in a swipe reader and in an ATM with your previous pin code but soon you will be able to use the card readers we all use here with your new four digit code once the banks in the US get their act together.

From the literature that came with the card, I got the impression that the PIN would be the same as the PIN I use at the ATM.

I don't know of any places around here that use chip and PIN so I can't try it out. I guess I'll call Wells Fargo tomorrow and see what the deal is. :confused:

My new Am Express card has a chip, but it's a chip and signature card, not a chip and pin.

So I got the mail today and Wells Fargo had sent me a new ATM/debit card. I wasn't sure why, because my current card still had several years until the expiration date. But then I look at the new card and see it's a chip and PIN card. "For our customers that live and travel overseas."

I thought I would post this because there have been several topics about credit/debit cards from America working in Europe or where to get a debit card that has chip and PIN. This is not an endorsement of Wells Fargo by any means! I've had more than a few issues with them over the years! But I thought I'd let everyone know that now there is another option to get a chip and PIN card.

Hola Jeff - thanks for the post (it will help your US mates). But anyone who has travelled out side of the US since 2008-09 would have been aware of this issue. I believe it actually became mandatory across the EU in 2010-11, just another security measure - for both the card holder and the merchant who supplies the goods or services. Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Canada has been using chip debit and credit cards for a few years, Europe even longer.

Most of the western world is using chip enabled cards

The US is in the early stages of rolling out chip enabled cards
Yes, I was in Peru last May, in the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu and even in the small villages they have the chip technology. Makes travel very easy and convenient.

From the literature that came with the card, I got the impression that the PIN would be the same as the PIN I use at the ATM.

I don't know of any places around here that use chip and PIN so I can't try it out. I guess I'll call Wells Fargo tomorrow and see what the deal is. :confused:
I'll be interested to hear the answer you get from Wells Fargo, sadly the Amex person I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

And do make sure that the PIN is a 4 digit code, not 6 digit.
[For those with a 4 digit PIN travelling to places that demand 6 digit you apparently just add two zeros (00) - but we have never been anywhere that we could prove this.]

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Jeff - thanks for the post (it will help your US mates). But anyone who has travelled out side of the US since 2008-09 would have been aware of this issue. I believe it actually became mandatory across the EU in 2010-11, just another security measure - for both the card holder and the merchant who supplies the goods or services. Cheers

I know most people coming to this forum are aware of the chip and PIN issue. I just wanted to let folks here in the states know that there is now another option to get a card with the technology. When I went to Spain last year, Wells Fargo didn't offer chips on their check cards. The only options for obtaining a card with a chip were from high end credit cards, certain credit unions (that I couldn't join because I didn't live near them), and there was a prepaid option, but there were some fees associated with it.
I did have a few issues with my card last year, which could have been avoided if I had a card with a chip.

Visa and Mastercard have told everyone that they will not take responsibility for fraudulent charges in the US after Oct 1 if the banks don't switch to chip and pin, so there is a pretty quick rollout going on. I live in a small town and our local supermarket chain (Publix, Don) is already switching out their card readers for new ones that take those cards. However, the rollout evidently isn't going that quickly on the banks' side. I'm walking in Sept and when I asked Chase if I could expect to have the new card by then, they said I'd have to request it specially to get it in time.

I know most people coming to this forum are aware of the chip and PIN issue. I just wanted to let folks here in the states know that there is now another option to get a card with the technology. When I went to Spain last year, Wells Fargo didn't offer chips on their check cards. The only options for obtaining a card with a chip were from high end credit cards, certain credit unions (that I couldn't join because I didn't live near them), and there was a prepaid option, but there were some fees associated with it.
I did have a few issues with my card last year, which could have been avoided if I had a card with a chip.
I think you did a very good thing to bring this to light for the American users of this Forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Forgive my ignorance on this issue. Does this mean I can or cannot use my chip-less cards? And if I can use them, what difficulties might arise?

Thanks so much for any clarification!

Forgive my ignorance on this issue. Does this mean I can or cannot use my chip-less cards? And if I can use them, what difficulties might arise?

Thanks so much for any clarification!

You can at ATM's. Most places that accept cards should be able to swipe your card as well, but I did have some issues with that when I was in France and Spain. Be sure to inform your banks and credit card companies when and where you'll be travelling.

You can at ATM's. Most places that accept cards should be able to swipe your card as well, but I did have some issues with that when I was in France and Spain. Be sure to inform your banks and credit card companies when and where you'll be travelling.
Thanks!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all, I am from the Netherlands and my bankcard and visacard have a chip and pin code. That's normal now for years. You inserd your card in the atm to widrow money or in the store to pay for your. ..wath ever , type your pincode and you are ready. And you find this all over Europa . Wish you all well, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back