• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Auckland to SJPDP 2014

Gerrard

Hi There. Trying to get to St Jean for Camino as quickly and cheaply as possible from Auckland. Barcelona, Paris or Madrid seem to be the main options for arrival/departure. Any advice from those who have been before would be most appreciated. Thanks. Gerrard.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi There. Trying to get to St Jean for Camino as quickly and cheaply as possible from Auckland. Barcelona, Paris or Madrid seem to be the main options for arrival/departure. Any advice from those who have been before would be most appreciated. Thanks. Gerrard.

Hi Gerrard. Welcome to the forum. Do you have a date that you are trying to depart by? Makes things a little easier to narrow down. Also what price ranges have you found so far?
Karen

Hola Gerrard,
Yes, welcome to the forum. I find that Paris gives you options to get to SJPP. However, Madrid gives you a quick way home. Paris is usually better priced for flying from down under but a bit of travelling required to get back to Paris, unless you fly from SDC, but is probably, goiing to be your best quick and cheap option, unless you snag a special somewhere which flys in Paris out Madrid, but it's usually a few hundred extra for that option.
I've come home via Barcelona twice, but mainly because I like the city and usually have the time to make my way there, though I believe you can fly direct SDC to Barcelona.
I guess you know websites for pricing, I usually use bestflights.com.au
Good luck with your planning.
Buen Camino
Colin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Gerrard. I flew from Auckland to Paris and then took the train to Bayonne and SJPP. Coming home I flew from Santiago to Barcelona. I spent a few days in Barcelona,and then flew to Auckland via Heathrow. There are some very cheap fares to Europe available at the moment. The only problem is the dates available. Some of them dont give you enough time to walk the Camino. Buen Camino. I might even see you there because I am returning next year, and with my husband this time.

Paris was my option. You might be able to get a cheap flight from Paris down to nearer SJPP- Bayonne/Biarritz. Friends of mine from Christchurch did that and found it was much cheaper than the train.
I also came home via Paris. Madrid would be easier to get to from Santiago, but not so many of our cheaper flights seem to head that way.
Margaret

This assumes you intend to start in SJPdP and finish in Santiago.

Auckland - Los Angeles - London (Heathrow or Gatwick) with Air New Zealand. Thats probably the cheapest.

London (Stansted) to Biarritz with RyanAir.

Allow at least 5 hours for bus from Heathrow or Gatwick to Stansted.

Biarritz is the closest airport to SJPdP.

Biarritz (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

From Biarritz airport take local bus #14 to Gare Bayonne. Allow 40 minutes.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Take TER 62 train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

Gare Bayonne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

Homeward Bound:

Local bus from Santiago estacion de autobuses to Santiago airport.

Then fly to London from Santiago with RyanAir.

Empresa Friere (operator of bus to airport)
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion0.php

Santiago de Compostela Airport (Aeropuerto de Labacolla (SCQ))
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Gerrard and yes to your new Camino Family!! Whilst you could travel eastbound via ANZ through LAX, I think there are at least 5 alternatives, it really depends on whether total time from AKL to SJPP or lowest cost is your marker. If its time then Emirates AKL-SYD-DXB-PARIS (CDG). This gets you into Paris around 14.00 (2.00 PM) - arrival time depends on affect of European Summer Time. Total flying time is around 26-28 hours. From Paris its a train to Bayonne (as per Whari). This train connects with a local to SJPP (but you might have to overnight somewhere - either Bayonne or SJPP)
Coming home - train or fly from Santiago to Marid and then again Emirates via Dubai and Sydney. The overnight flight from Madrid offers the better connections in Dubai!
If price of airfares is important then AKL to Hong-Kong and then connect with China Southern Airlines - but you will have some lengthy stop-overs - and it will take well over 30 hours and you will really feel the jet lag. Getting home - you will probably have to fly SDC to Paris and then back on China Southern. I have not done the figures for Singapore Airlines - but I would estimate times and dollars similar to Emirates.
Time to start doing your preliminary training and packing (light) and practice the Spanish. Good luck Amigo!! ;)

Hi Everyone. Firstly can I say thank u very much for your generosity and time to answer. Im a bit gobsmacked so many of u took the time to share so generously and provide many options for us to look at. My wife and I and 14yr old daughter will be setting out early Sept2014 and probably going to Lourdes first stop. PS at first glance the STA travel website is very user friendly. Thanks again. Gerrard.

After quite a lot of research, and great advice from the Pilgrims on here, I've decided to fly from LAX to Pau via Charles De Gaulle. It cuts out the need of a stay in Paris and Pau is not that far from St Jean. Also much cheaper and quicker than a train. The airline ticket from Paris to Pau is onlu 75 US dollars!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After quite a lot of research, and great advice from the Pilgrims on here, I've decided to fly from LAX to Pau via Charles De Gaulle. It cuts out the need of a stay in Paris and Pau is not that far from St Jean. Also much cheaper and quicker than a train. The airline ticket from Paris to Pau is onlu 75 US dollars!

This is actually a really great post! I had never heard of Pau airport and brings in a whole new option. I had planned on taking the train from Paris to SJPdP but this is a cheaper and faster option. But i hate flying!!!! I'm torn now! lol.

Hmm. Actually I just googled this option but have hit a snag. Getting from Pau to SJPdP. There are limited trains and it looks like I would have to change in Bayonne. The connecting trains from Bayonne to St Jean miss each other by about half an hour. Would sooner not have to spend a night in Bayonne. Does anyone know of any other option to get from Bayonne to St Jean? Or from Pau to St Jean?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is 117 ks from St Jean.
Hmm. Actually I just googled this option but have hit a snag. Getting from Pau to SJPdP. There are limited trains and it looks like I would have to change in Bayonne. The connecting trains from Bayonne to St Jean miss each other by about half an hour. Would sooner not have to spend a night in Bayonne. Does anyone know of any other option to get from Bayonne to St Jean? Or from Pau to St Jean?
You are right. Trains don't connect. Back to the drawing board. :(

Does anyone know of any other option to get from Bayonne to St Jean? Or from Pau to St Jean?

walk along the Voie de la Nive!

BTW, we managed to get tickets to Madrid next year for only just over NZ$2,000. So this could be a cheap option. Our tickets to Paris lat year were closer to two and a half.
If you are in Auckland, I know a travel agent who managed to undercut STA this time (we used STA last year and for previous travel)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is 117 ks from St Jean.

You are right. Trains don't connect. Back to the drawing board. :(

Actually St Jean is only an hour from Bayonne so there has to be options. Taxi? Bus service? So don't give up on your plan yet!!
Or as above post says. There is always the option of walking!!!!:D

walk along the Voie de la Nive!

BTW, we managed to get tickets to Madrid next year for only just over NZ$2,000. So this could be a cheap option. Our tickets to Paris lat year were closer to two and a half.
If you are in Auckland, I know a travel agent who managed to undercut STA this time (we used STA last year and for previous travel)
Yes Walk overnight would be good. A strong torch, compass - could be there in no time, or by August the following year is one gets lost! :)

Seriously - it's a 2-3 day walk with accommodation and food along the way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've sent you a message privately Gerrard.

There are 4 trains per day most days all year. Yes you must transfer to TER 62 train which starts in Bayonne and finishes in SJPdP. In summer there are 2 buses per day connecting to Pamplona. I've not found any other transport services to SJPdP ... perhaps it exists but I doubt it.

St Jean is a village of 1754 people at the end of the road in the mountains. There are only 30000 pilgrims that start in SJPdP annually. I'm surprised it is as well connected as it is.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are 4 trains per day most days all year. Yes you must transfer to TER 62 train which starts in Bayonne and finishes in SJPdP. In summer there are 2 buses per day connecting to Pamplona. I've not found any other transport services to SJPdP ... perhaps it exists but I doubt it.

St Jean is a village of 1754 people at the end of the road in the mountains. There are only 30000 pilgrims that start in SJPdP annually. I'm surprised it is as well connected as it is.

Thanks for replying. I can't find any other info either so think I will go with original plan of train from Paris. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
China Southern might be worth a look. Just checked May/August 2014. NZ$1952 return into Paris.

Mark, I am not sure where in Aust you are from, but I am flying out Singapore airlines direct Adel. to Singapore late morning, arriving in Paris early the next morning. I may be able to catch TGV at around 8.15 but if I miss that one (fromRoissy) I will get the next one at 10.15am. This will still get me to Bayonne (changing at Bordeaux), in time to catch the last train to SJPdP that same day. This means I won't have to go into Paris itself, and, in a jet lagged state, can just head straight to where I am going. I think I have decided not to pre book the train, as that will give me a little flexibility -might cost a little more but won't have to panic if I am slow getting through customs etc. Janet

I don't know if our experience was unusual, but we hopped off the plane in Paris, walked to baggage claim and our packs were already circling, popped them on our backs, got our passports ready - and they didn't even look at us, just stamped the passports and waved us through - we thought we were going through a doorway to another room where we would have to open bags and prove we didn't have any fresh fruit etc (NZ worries about this) - but the door took us straight into the enormous arrivals area. We were stunned!

Hola ,we have booked tickets to UK for may 2014 and are planning on buying a camper van and driving through Europe and ending up in Spain, I would love to walk part of the Camino ,even if its only the last 100kms ,BUT my husband is not willing to at all .Seems daft to be wanting to walk when I have wheels but has been on my mind for 2 years ,any one else had this problem ,any suggestions ,could someone babysit him ?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hello fellow pilgrims, we are starting the Norte on June 7. Any advice on the best way to get to San Sabastian from Madrid? Thank you in advance for your help.
I was looking at Alsa bus tickets to get from Pamplona to SJPDP. We plan to take 1 carry on bag to send from SJPDP to Ivar. The bus ticket mentions size restrictions for an extra bag, etc.. What...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back