• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aug 15 arrival SJPDP

K Turner

Time of past OR future Camino
August-October 2019 CF
Greetings! My husband and I arrive in SJPDP late August 15 or early August 16. It's our first Camino and we are counting the days until we leave Arizona to begin our journey.

Thanks for such an amazing resource here!

-Keesha

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is supposed to be a very, very hot summer on the Camino. Check long range forecasts and pack light. If you are not 100% sure you will need something DO NOT take it. You definitely won't need a sleeping bag that time of year. I have walked the CF twice starting in late September with only a silk sleep sack. Didn't get cold until late October in Galicia and then there were blankets supplied. Being from Arizona you will be used to the heat but start really early and bring lots of water! Remember to check out packing lists that many people have written about here. You will get some great ideas.Zip off quick dry pants are a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Two shirts, two pants, (or one and shorts) 2 or 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of underwear, light poncho to protect you and your pack, I use only a bar of soup to clean my body and clothes, light candles or Toms are also great to wear as a second pair of shoes, I like trail runners instead of boots. They are lighter and dry quickly (if they are wet stuff them with newspaper when you arrive at the auberge and then once again before sleep and they will be dry in the morning) quick dry towel, quick dry EVERYTHING! I also bring 12 clothespins to hang my clothes after I wash them. Sometimes there will not be anything to hang them or they will all be used. Just a few ideas. Think LIGHT!!!! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Have to agree with all the above keep it light I started on 13th Aug, 2017 and it was hot 33deg, but it is a different heat I come from New Zealand where 33 deg, would scorch you in five minuets. After rout Napolian I sat at the monastery and threw out alot of brand new gear about two and a half k,s of it I knew I could not go any further with what I was carrying. Good luck God bless.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow! only 33C (91F)?!?! that'll be a nice reprieve from the 115F (46c) that Southern Arizona will be when we leave.

We've obtained the cordage and we already had the clothespins. Our shoes are waterproof, so no worries about wet shoes for sure. K bought the recommended bar of soap too. Thanks for the advice of leaving the tent at home and just using the bags. That's going to save a ton of weight and space.

Would it be useful to bring a hiking quick stove? We're anticipating not being able to make a hostile or two along the way and having to camp.

Greetings! My husband and I arrive in SJPDP late August 15 or early August 16. It's our first Camino and we are counting the days until we leave Arizona to begin our journey.

Thanks for such an amazing resource here!

-Keesha
I just read your hubby's first post and the enthusiasm he exudes...you two should have an amazing time together! Who will be watching that cute little doggie while you are away? ☺

I just read your hubby's first post and the enthusiasm he exudes...you two should have an amazing time together! Who will be watching that cute little doggie while you are away? ☺
Thanks! Ziggy will stay with our kids...as will our German Shepherd, Cyrus. They're best buds! We also have a VERY senior doggie, Widget. We took him in last year but he is about to cross the Rainbow Bridge. All three are spoiled rotten!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back