• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aussie leaving SJPP 5 October

deanfromoz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - October 2019
I find myself in a position where I have the option to start the Camino in early October 2019, possibly leaving SJPDP on Friday 4 or Saturday 5 October.

I would fly into Biarritz from Paris CDG at around 5pm and interested in any advice or experiences regarding transport from Biarritz to SJPDP on that same day. Given the time of day, how reliable are bus and train options?

Also, what sort of weather can I expect? I've seen the temperature range while I'll be there, but wonder what sort of rainfall I should be ready for.

I'm pretty fit, so if you're going to be there around the same time and looking for potential walking partners, let me know :)

UPDATE:
I will now be overnighting in Bayonne on 3 October, and taking a morning train to St Jean on Friday the 4th, planning to hit the track on Saturday the 5th. Plan is to stay at The Beilari on Friday night.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rome2Rio Website or app will give you your travel options. You never know what the weather will be. It could start cold get hot and get cold again, blue skies or rain like hell. Take some lightweight layers and a poncho that covers you and your pack. Some zip off pants that you can use as shorts if it gets hot. By the time you get to Galicia where it will probably be cold there will be blankets in the albergues so you may not need to take a sleeping bag to save weight. If it is cold and you just have a liner or sleep sack you can wear your clothes to bed. Also it isn't Siberia so you can always buy stuff on the way.

I find myself in a position where I have the option to start the Camino in early October 2019, possibly leaving SJPDP on Friday 4 or Saturday 5 October.

I would fly into Biarritz from Paris CDG at around 5pm and interested in any advice or experiences regarding transport from Biarritz to SJPDP on that same day. Given the time of day, how reliable are bus and train options?

Also, what sort of weather can I expect? I've seen the temperature range while I'll be there, but wonder what sort of rainfall I should be ready for.

I'm pretty fit, so if you're going to be there around the same time and looking for potential walking partners, let me know :)
October is great time to start, actually. As far as weather you have to expect everything and anything. Connections from Biarritz are totally reliable. If it suits your times try to take the train from the Bayonne station. A cab from the Biarritz airport will get you there. Also highly recommend starting your Camino with a great night at the Beilari Albergue just across the little street from the Pilgrims office.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
October is great time to start, actually. As far as weather you have to expect everything and anything. Connections from Biarritz are totally reliable. If it suits your times try to take the train from the Bayonne station. A cab from the Biarritz airport will get you there. Also highly recommend starting your Camino with a great night at the Beilari Albergue just across the little street from the Pilgrims office.
Beilari is wonderful to be sure.

Hi, dean, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum. :)

1. Express Bouricott is an easy, and quick transport option. The fee is split between passengers, so a full shuttle runs about 20 Euro per person. It is reservation only, is quite popular, and you need to make a reservation ASAP if you want to be assured a seat.

2. Taxi. Again, the cost is per taxi. so, the more that share, the cheaper it is.

3. As you board your departure flight from Paris, and as you arrive in Biarritz and are walking to the main airport entrance, look for fellow pilgrims -- packs, shells, patches, anxious expressions :). Ask if anyone would like to share a taxi, or if anyone has space to share a ride. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a few takers. :)

I am arriving in Biarritz at 5 pm on 10/4 (Air France flight out of CDG-Paris) and planning to take a taxi to SJPP. If you would like to share the taxi and cost, just let me know.

Machelle

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am arriving in Biarritz at 5 pm on 10/4 (Air France flight out of CDG-Paris) and planning to take a taxi to SJPP. If you would like to share the taxi and cost, just let me know.

Machelle
Hi Machelle, thank you, sounds like a plan. I am currently hoping to get in on Thursday 10/3, but if that changes will let you know.

UPDATE: I will now be overnighting in Bayonne on 10/3, and taking a morning train to St Jean on Friday 10/4, planning to hit the track on 10/5. Plan is to stay at The Beilari on Friday night.

Last edited:
I have purchased a TER ticket from Bayonne to SJPP on 4 October.

Any idea about taxi prices from Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne?

@deanfromoz, if you haven't already found the WA Camino Group (https://www.afotc.org/pilgrim-gatherings/wa-camino-group/) they are a great resource, as is the Facebook group Australian Pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago and beyond. You might be able to get to one of their 'gatherings' before you leave, and that isn't likely to allow much time to adjust things should you need to, but you will find the Facebook group is pretty responsive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any idea about taxi prices from Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne?

Take the bus, it's just 1€ for the ride to the stop next to the tourist office of Bayonne (leaving Biarritz Airport every 15mins as I remember).
Then walk across the river (5-10mins, depending on your speed) to the train-station.

I did that and was happy to take a "free" tour from Biarritz to Bayonne (as far as I remember there were 7 stops on that route).

Take the bus, it's just 1€ for the ride to the stop next to the tourist office of Bayonne (leaving Biarritz Airport every 15mins as I remember).
Then walk across the river (5-10mins, depending on your speed) to the train-station.
From what I can see, the last bus for Bayonne leaves Biarritz Airport at 9pm, just when I'm landing. I'm thinking that it's going to be a taxi.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.