• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Austria - Extrempilgern?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
In my usual browsing for pilgrimage related news and stories I came across a word I had never seen before. "Extrempilgern". On a website belonging to the Archdiocese of Vienna. Following through the links I came across an event happening next month. A walk from Heiligenkreutz to Mariazell. 100km. 2,500m of ascents along the way. In 24 hours. Applications close on 21 April if you are tempted!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
100 km? Sarria to Santiago comes to mind.

Where I live, the saturday before Easter is the (24 hour day) of the so called Kennedy-march. 80 km in 22 hours max, although the area is much flatter. I had to be in town and passed long lines of walkers who had started very early in the morning when it was still dark. On my way back, even more walkers. After a few years of waning interest, the event is becoming more popular again. So who knows, maybe Sarria- Santiago is next? Would only take two stamps and some convincing at the Pilgrims'Office.

😇

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Extreme" distance events have become more popular over the years (at least here in Germany). There is a plentitude of 100km and 50km hiking events all over the country. In my town the "Horizontale um Jena" event is taking place for the 36th time this year (100km circle around town in 24h, 2160m up/down). Yesterday i took a group of students for a friendly training hike of 30km in the pouring rain ;-)

So i am not surprised at all that someone made a similar event with a pilgrimage theme.

100kms in 24 hours seems like a lot. My feet were wasted after 40kms and my shins just started crying after reading this (at the end, my shin splints got quite painful). Basically, this would be a non-stop 24 hours

good luck on it and report back

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is already an extreme event from Tui to Santiago most years. But for the military. 120km in under 24 hours but with a bit of abseiling and wild swimming on the way. And carrying big packs!

They are going to open this event to civilians too. Dear volunteers, here's a video (in Spanish) for inspiration. Seems to me the military will be hard to beat, so come prepared.

https://www.facebook.com/EjercitoTi...as-tui-santiago/512196477259792/?locale=ms_MY

In my usual browsing for pilgrimage related news and stories I came across a word I had never seen before. "Extrempilgern". On a website belonging to the Archdiocese of Vienna. Following through the links I came across an event happening next month. A walk from Heiligenkreutz to Mariazell. 100km. 2,500m of ascents along the way. In 24 hours. Applications close on 21 April if you are tempted!

In a word not tempted at all;););););););):)

There was one I knew of in the Peak District in N. England, the Bullock Smithy 90km/24hr loop with 3000 m of elevation change. No pilgrim connection though.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back