• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

avoiding Santiago

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
So yes, Santiago is the reason....BUT.....we want to walk out to Muxia/Finisterre and then back to Santiago with that second time in Santiago at the cathedral being the end. When we walked down from Monte de Gozo, the pilgrim path took us straight to the cathedral. Obviously we could just skirt around it, but I'm wondering if there is an official route through Santiago that avoids the cathedral (no doubt a guidebook would tell me but I do not have one on hand right now and someone here will be able to tell me before the library opens!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you download Johnnie Walkers 'Route of routes' it is a circular tour round Santiago and would enable you to 'avoid' the Cathedral on your way through, so saving it for your final arrival.

I cannot find the link, so I would suggest a PM to Johnnie is the quickest way to get it.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven't (yet!) walked this route, so I can't comment on how I'd use it to skirt the cathedral, but it seems to me that the easiest way to avoid the cathedral would be to circle around the back of it.

http://maps.google.es/maps?saddr=R%C3%B ... s&t=m&z=16

I know Mig showed me how to paste in a link to a google map, but I have already forgotten, so I hope this works.

Essentially, instead of going into the old town at the spot where the Porta do Camino previously stood, you would take a right and then wind up below the steps down from the parador, which would put you right on the Camino to Fisterre.

But I'm not sure if this will take you closer to the cathedral than you want to be on your way in.

Hola

If all they want to do is avoid the Cathedral rather than visiting parts of Santiago and not the Cathedral then a simple way to do this would be:

Walk to the Porta do Camino on the Camino Frances

Turn Left instead of going straight ahead into the Old Town

Walk straight along this road to the Plaza Galicia

Keep straight on through the Plaza and at the bottom of the road turn Right then veer left down the Pombal which after .5 kms there are yellow arrows Left to Finisterre!

Miguel and I can sort this out on a map.

John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back