• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reverse Camino tips? Muxía - Fisterra - Santiago

AnneLondon

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I did this last year, but haven't managed to copy the link. The thread is called something like "walking Finisterre to Santiago to avoid crowds". It's not a lonely Camino, but I missed the pleasure you get from meeting and re-meeting people that you get if you are walking in the same direction.
These were my tips:
I've just done this, catching the bus from Santiago to Cee. Some notes which may be of use for future walkers:
Finisterra to Muxia is no problem - alternate signs give directions both ways.
Finisterra to Hospital is described in detail in the Brierley guide but you have to read every detail. I overlooked a (+.3k) note and walked a k in the wrong direction.
The mojones are very carefully placed and angled and you can usually work out where the path has come from. Signs that you are on the right route include the distinctive granite v- shaped drainage channels diagonally across the path and surfaced or segregated paths alongside roads.
Beware of assuming that anyone walking towards you is a pilgrim on the right path, especially at weekends. Other tracks intersect the Camino, and many people enjoy walking in this lovely area.
There are quite a lot of informal faded yellow arrows pointing to S or SC. They are usually on the backs of lampposts and similar and are helpful once you've got your eye in.
In a couple of places where things seemed unclear I got in a complete muddle trying to read across from mapy.cz which shows topography and the route, but not where you are exactly, to the Brierley maps, not to scale, to Google maps which shows you where you are but not the route. Then a kind pilgrim burrowed under his poncho into his pack in the pouring rain to show me the Buen Camino maps on his phone. No more navigation problems.
If you do short stages there may be nowhere open en route to get a stamp. I just got two at my destination. It wasn't a problem. But no refreshment stop for 10-15 k could be if not prepared.
The approach to Santiago is lovely. A great view of the cathedral, then greenery and a very short urban stretch through attractive streets and straight up into the Obradoiro.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to reiterate what @BarbaraW picked up on, I've walked Finisterre back to SdC a couple of times now and keeping track of the route for me was the big one. I used Google maps a bit which got me there but often not on the route road, meaning I ended up in some quite isolated places.

That and be prepared for having a few puzzled looks coming your way as you inevitably are walking against the tide of pilgrims going toward Finisterre.

You also will likely be alone as very few walk it backward.

I've walked Finisterre back to SdC a couple of times now and keeping track of the route for me was the big one. I used Google maps a bit which got me there but often not on the route road, meaning I ended up in some quite isolated places.
This is very easily solved by downloading and importing tracks into a maps app, which work just as well in both directions. There’s no need to use Google Maps for wayfinding, for the reason you mentioned.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I tried it once on a different camino. It was almost impossible when coming to a junction where multiple paths converge. Arrows pointed the path forward but not the way back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Brother going next week SDC to Finisterre, can only remember one short hill climb of any consequence cannot remember location ???

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back