• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baamonde to Hospital de Bruma

Ozrob

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Nord
Has anyone cut across from Baamonde to Hospital de Bruma to join the Ingles Camino. Its 57 ks on Google Maps so there would need to be a half way point to stop one night. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what the way is like and whether there is anywhere to stay??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds interesting!! Rather like the Camino Verde. I'll be interested to see what responses you get. Good luck!

The question I have is “Why?”. The last 100 k of the Norte (from Baamonde onwards) is very scenic, tranquil, and blissfully uncrowded, especially if you take the new route, that cuts off just after Boimorto and doesn’t intersect with the Frances until Lavacolla or near O Pedrouzo. For more information, see thread at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...cial-last-part-of-the-camino-del-norte.58356/

Imho, this wiill be much nicer than anything you’ll find on the Camino Ingles, especially because there’s unlikely to be a good walking path between Baamonde and Hoospiital de Bruma. (If there were, someone would have responded already).

Good luck, whatever you do, but if you stick with the Norte, you won’t be disappointed. 40 k beyond Baamonde is Sobrado dos Monxes, which has a spectacular monastery that features both albergue dorm rooms and private rooms.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you want to skip the Frances entry into Santiago then another alternative would be to follow the new way from Boimorto and instead of connecting with the CF at Lavacolla, you could follow back roads and connect with the Ingles at Sigueiro, the added benefit of that is the stage is doable ( around 30km) and you could book ahead for an Albergue.

If you want to skip the Frances entry into Santiago then another alternative would be to follow the new way from Boimorto and instead of connecting with the CF at Lavacolla, you could follow back roads and connect with the Ingles at Sigueiro, the added benefit of that is the stage is doable ( around 30km) and you could book ahead for an Albergue.
I like this idea. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the info to those who posted. I have altered my route and will walk through to Ribadeo then down through Lourenza and Abadin to Sobrado. One thing I'm interested to know from others - I have started trying to book (where possible into hostels or pensiones in the absence of albergues - for instance in San Sebastian and Zarautz, but everything already seems to be booked out. Otherwise its quite expensive ie. over 50 euro. I was budgeting on less that this so its a bit of a shock. Am I missing something or is it already really late to be booking accommodation. I had thought there would be albergues that you could just turn up to

Thanks for the info to those who posted. I have altered my route and will walk through to Ribadeo then down through Lourenza and Abadin to Sobrado. One thing I'm interested to know from others - I have started trying to book (where possible into hostels or pensiones in the absence of albergues - for instance in San Sebastian and Zarautz, but everything already seems to be booked out. Otherwise its quite expensive ie. over 50 euro. I was budgeting on less that this so its a bit of a shock. Am I missing something or is it already really late to be booking accommodation. I had thought there would be albergues that you could just turn up to
When are you going? I stayed in a mix of pensiones and albergues. One that was an excellent value was in Portugalete - Pensión la Guía. I paid 30€ for a room with two beds and a private bath. There were also rooms with shared bath for less.http://www.pensionlaguia.es/

I have started trying to book (where possible into hostels or pensiones in the absence of albergues - for instance in San Sebastian and Zarautz, but everything already seems to be booked out. Otherwise its quite expensive ie. over 50 euro. I was budgeting on less that this so its a bit of a shock.

Hi, I stayed in albergues almost every night on the Norte (didn’t book anything). For San Sebastian try booking a dorm bed at “A Room In The City”, and in Zarautz I stayed in “Albergue Gran Camping” (5 euros). Where else do you want to know about?
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

We stayed mostly in pensiones, too, and rarely paid as much as 50 euros even for a double. The trick is not to rely entirely on booking.com, because a lot of the cheaper places don’t list there at all. Contact those places with a phone call (best) or an e-mail. You don’t need much Spanish to muddle your way through that conversation, and if you do it once, it becomes easier because it’s the same conversation over and over. Rely on google translate for e-mails. Thus, check out the places on gronze or Wise Pilgrim that don’t have a booking.com link.

Also, you’re going to be banging your head on the wall if you try to make arrangements months in advance (been there, tried that). Many places on booking.com will not list rooms with them until a few weeks or days in advance, or will only list a limited number of rooms. So, when a place is supposedly full, often it is not — either because it only listed a few rooms with booking.com or hasn't listed any rooms at all yet. Again, if there’s a particular place you want and it’s supposedly full, call them or e-mail them.

Mostly, we reserved on the Norte, but rarely more than a day in advance or the morning itself. We never had a problem finding a place.

I know it’s hard to take that leap of faith and try not to pin everything down way ahead, but that only raises the stress level.

I know it’s hard to take that leap of faith and try not to pin everything down way ahead, but that only raises the stress level.
Thanks for this. Its been very helpful. Since talking to another Peregrino I now realise this is my challenge. To let go and trust. Knowing this info makes that a lot easier 😊 Feels like I'm starting my camino now!

Hi, I stayed in albergues almost every night on the Norte (didn’t book anything). For San Sebastian try booking a dorm bed at “A Room In The City”, and in Zarautz I stayed in “Albergue Gran Camping” (5 euros). Where else do you want to know about?
Jill
Thanks Jill. I was having a minor panic about not beimg able to book but you good people have set me straight. Ive taken note of your suggestion 😊

Great. Have taken a note of that one. Thanks.
Also, if you want to stop in Pasajes de San Juan on your first day, and are worried about getting into the 14 bed albergue there, I can recommend a guest house that I learned about on the forum - Casa Txurdin. The phone number is +34685475733, and the owner is on WhatsApp. I made a reservation by text through WhatsApp. The cost for a private room/shared bath was 25€, and included breakfast.

Also, if you want to stop in Pasajes de San Juan on your first day, and are worried about getting into the 14 bed albergue there, I can recommend a guest house that I learned about on the forum - Casa Txurdin. The phone number is +34685475733, and the owner is on WhatsApp. I made a reservation by text through WhatsApp. The cost for a private room/shared bath was 25€, and included breakfast.
Terrific. Thank you. Yes i had thought i might need to shorten the first day a little as i develop my walking legs 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Jill. I was having a minor panic about not beimg able to book but you good people have set me straight. Ive taken note of your suggestion 😊

Hi, the following are the places I stayed, just in case it helps with your planning. As I mentioned I didn't book anywhere as I didn't know where I was going to end up at the end of each day. A good example of this is at Mondonedo. We stopped there for a late lunch. It was pouring with rain, so we asked the price of their rooms, and they gave us a great deal. It was one of the best stops.

Irun, Albergue Capitan Tximista
Pasajes de San Juan, Albergue de Peregrinos
San Sebastian, A Room In The City (dorm beds in hostel)
Zarautz, Albergue Gran Camping
Deba, Albergue de Peregrinos
Markina, Albergue Pitis
Gernika, Youth Hostel
Zamudio, Hotel Artea-Errota (looks expensive, but 3 of us shared a triple room for 21 euros each including breakfast)
Portugalete, Albergue Bide Ona
Castro Urdiales, Pension La Mar (had a rest day - the albergue was open at the far end of town)
Castro Urdiales, Pension La Mar
Laredo, Albergue Casa Trinidad
Guemes, La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto (donativo albergue, including dinner and breakfast)
Santa Cruz, Albergue Nimon
Santillana del Mar, Hospidaje Santillana (a buddy had double-booked hotel rooms so we helped her out by taking the second booking)
Cobreces, Posada Las Mananitas (bed and breakfast for 24 euros each)
Comillas, Abba Golf Apt (great value – a 3 bedroom apartment for 14 euros each)
San Vicente, Apt Rincon del Puerto (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)
Unquera, Hotel Canal (a triple room for 16.50 euros each)
Llanes, Youth Hostel
Villahormes, Albergue Punta Pestana
San Esteban, Albergue de Peregrinos
Colunga, Hotel Las Vegas (a triple room for 17 euros each)
Villaviciosa, Albergue Congreso
Cabuenes, Albergue Camping Deva
Aviles, Albergue de Peregrinos
Muros, Apartment La Flor (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)
Soto de Luina, Albergue de Peregrinos
Cadavedo, Albergue Covi y Peter
Luarca, Albergue Villa de Luarca
Luarca, Albergue Villa de Luarca
Navia, Pension Cantabrico (a triple room for 15 euros each)
Tol, Albergue de Peregrinos
Ribadeo, Albergue de Peregrinos
San Xusto, Albergue de Peregrinos
Mondonedo, Hostal Padornelo (a single room for 24 euros including breakfast)
Gontan, Albergue de Peregrinos
Vilalba, Albergue de Peregrinos
Baamonde, Albergue de Peregrinos
Miraz, Albergue O'Abrigo
Sobrado, Albergue de Peregrinos
Boimorto, Albergue de Peregrinos
Pedrouzo, Albergue Cruceiro

Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Hi if I wanted to do the Del Norte and had 2 weeks any recommendations (would be much appreciated ) and which part of the Norte would be less challenging. Marianne
Hi. I only have 7 days and will be walking from Irun to Bilboa end of April, first week of May. Aside from booking ahead in San Sebastián and Bilbao, do I need to book in advance or will I have...
Hello, I am brand new to the Camino and am planning to hike the Norte and Primitive routes starting mid-May, 2024. I think I have access to most of the resources I need except I don't seem to be...
Hi all, and thank you in an advance for your time and consideration :) I'm very much in my "Camino dreaming" phase, but next year I'll be looking to pre-book some of my accomodation for my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.