• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Restaurante Galicia in Baamonde

peregrina2000

Staff member
On @filly’s live thread on the Lana, he mentioned that he had eaten parga (a fish) at a restaurant in Cuenca. That word jolted my memory and brought me back to a restaurant in Baamonde where I had eaten parga.

What I remember (pasting in here a post from 2011) was this:

the Restaurante Galicia has outstanding food, and the owner of the restaurant is a true Camino Character. He serves a queimada to rival Jesus Jato's, though I am no expert. But it is equally dramatic.

I think I remember hearing that the man who had ran/owned the restaurant had died. But it looks like the Restaurant is still going strong.

I haven’t been there in many many years, and would love to hear from forum members who have memories too!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My memory is a very recent one, I ate there about six weeks ago.. a giant helping of gambas al ajillo mopped up with about half a loaf of bread, it was heaven. No idea about the owners, old or new but service was very friendly, I liked the cosy tavern atmosphere, a welcome change from fluorescent lighting and blaring TV..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes it is "pargo". As a coincidence, Parga must be the next village in the
variant Baamonde-Parga-Sobrado. The "feira" of Parga ( two per month) is very popular for its pulpo.

I think that should be "pargo". I remember it from my youth, when friends spearfished off the Venezuelan coast.
So my error is two-fold, because I erroneously remembered it was a river fish! But I am sure I remember it was delicious!
Yes it is "pargo". As a coincidence, Parga must be the next village in the
variant Baamonde-Parga-Sobrado. The "feira" of Parga ( two per month) is very popular for its pulpo.
Ah yes,it must be subliminal. I know one of the owners of Parga Natura outside Baamonde. ;) I checked the menu filly posted and you are both of course right that it’s pargo.

@Pelegrin, is this a fairly common fish in Galicia? I don’t remember seeing it on any other menu over all these years.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pargo!!! Wow, I remember the first (and maybe only time) I had Parga. It was in the restaurant in Baamonde on the Norte, run by the man with the long beard who did all the cooking and made the queimada. He may have been somehow related to the artist whose house and garden was near the little church. He told us it was a river fish, and I remember thinking it was totally yummy. In fact, I am now going to rack my brain to remember more details about this place, thanks for mentioning it, filly! I think the place has closed. But surely some forum members will remember it.

It was called the Restaurante Galicia and the bearded gent had the family name Corral Castro - the same as the man who ran the small museum. I think they were brothers -possibly cousins - but definitely related. The food was outstanding and Sñr Corral Castro was the most genial of hosts. A great place.

Attachments

• Restaurant Galicia 1.JPG
    Restaurant Galicia 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • Restaurant Galicia 2.JPG
    Restaurant Galicia 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Baamande museo.JPG
    Baamande museo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Thanks so much. I had a vague memory of a blood relatioinship between the sculptor/artist who had the museum nearby and the owner of the restaurant and your post confirms that. Thanks for the pictures, it’s exactly as I remember it. If anyone has pictures of Sr. Corral Castro or the queimada, that’d complete my memory lane tour!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie, what a thought provoking thread! To us from the Caribbean and Florida pargo is red snapper, a marine fish. Googling this it shows there are freshwater varieties. Who knew?
Red snapper can also cause Ciguatera this from NIH site: ”It is the most common fish-related foodborne illness in the United States. Ciguatera toxicity is most commonly caused by eating barracuda, grouper, moray eel, amberjack, sea bass, sturgeon, parrotfish, surgeonfish, and red snapper.”

On @filly’s live thread on the Lana, he mentioned that he had eaten parga (a fish) at a restaurant in Cuenca. That word jolted my memory and brought me back to a restaurant in Baamonde where I had eaten parga.

What I remember (pasting in here a post from 2011) was this:

the Restaurante Galicia has outstanding food, and the owner of the restaurant is a true Camino Character. He serves a queimada to rival Jesus Jato's, though I am no expert. But it is equally dramatic.

I think I remember hearing that the man who had ran/owned the restaurant had died. But it looks like the Restaurant is still going strong.

I haven’t been there in many many years, and would love to hear from forum members who have memories too!
Where were you when I needed you haha? I stayed at the municipal in Baamonde in November 2018. The hospitalario said there were two places to eat nearby. Neither was this restaurant. I was in a small room with one German man. He had gone to one place and I ate at the other. When we met in our room later for the first time we laughed about how bad both of our dinners were. It was a cold and rainy night. Our next big laugh was when we realized it was colder in our room than outside. I slept in all my clothes as I made it through that whole camino with just a silk sleep sack. Pretty smart Pilgrim am I!
I have a feeling this restaurant was closed maybe because of how late in the year it was or just I was there the day the restaurant is closed. I am sure the hospitalario would have told us about.

Hello Laurie.
Xoán Corral (poet) and Víctor Corral (sculptor) are brothers. Both passed away, Xoán in 2012 and Víctor in 2021.
When my wife and me passed through Baamonde in 2006, Xoán and his children ran the Galicia Restaurant. Today his sons run it.
I remember that they were closed on Wednesdays, but Xoán opened for us at 20:00 so we could have dinner. We had a intimate and endearing dinner, because in addition to talking about the Camino and life, he recited some of his poems for us.
He told us that on Saturday nights he had a dinner-show, and since Baamonde is about 180 kilometers from our city, we went there weeks later.

Attachments

• DSCN5010.JPG
    DSCN5010.JPG
    963 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN5008.JPG
    DSCN5008.JPG
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN5013.JPG
    DSCN5013.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN5015.JPG
    DSCN5015.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lovely tribute. It’s in a mix of Galego & Spanish. Would love to know how long the founders had been in Cuba. Thanks for finding this. If I get to walk this stretch, it’ll be a must stop.

I didn't know that Baamonde is a parish of Begonte concello (municipality). I thought that were different concellos. The camino makes more important parishes than municipalities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Laurie.
Xoán Corral (poet) and Víctor Corral (sculptor) are brothers. Both passed away, Xoán in 2012 and Víctor in 2021.
When my wife and me passed through Baamonde in 2006, Xoán and his children ran the Galicia Restaurant. Today his sons run it.
I remember that they were closed on Wednesdays, but Xoán opened for us at 20:00 so we could have dinner. We had a intimate and endearing dinner, because in addition to talking about the Camino and life, he recited some of his poems for us.
He told us that on Saturday nights he had a dinner-show, and since Baamonde is about 180 kilometers from our city, we went there weeks later.
These are great pictrures and a very moving video. I remembered that he was a little eccentric, but had never seen the keys or clothes pins. But I definitely remember the queimada!

I suppose the camino is always going to be losing people who have made such an impact, and we just have to hope that others step up to take their places. Looks like the children are carrying on, so I hope lots of Norte pilgrims will get to see the third generation in action!

I particularly liked the tribute that the alcalde gave to Xoan — era un coleccionista de amigos.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.