• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Weight for November Camino

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
Hey,

I plan to walk the Camino Frances alone in November,

I already have a backpack from my gapyear round Europe its in very good condition, I don't want to have to buy a new one for the camino.

Only trouble is the pack alone is 2.35kg

I am guessing when it is packed its gonna be about 10kg.... from what I have read this is going to be too much? But for walking in the colder months is this the normal weight or there abouts??

Many thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: Backpack Weight for November full Camino

Too much depends on you. Can you carry a 10kg pack? Put it on and go for a long hike. Then decide.

Personally I'd be surprised once you add water and winter gear if it was only 10kg

when I left last November for my Gap year it was around 13kg, although not wearing it everyday I did walk around for about 2 hours with it and didn't find it a problem.

As you say the best thing is just getting out there and trying it out!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hola

Can you give us some more details?
How many liters is the backpack, your height and weight, physical condition?
As the previous replies say, if it feels good while testing full loaded, then it is okay.
There are no 'rules' about the weight, and a you write, you know that one carries heavier loads in winter.
I walked a feb/march St Jean to SdC with about 12-14 kilos in a 58liter backpack and had no problem with that, being mid 40 and in reasonable condition.
I meet people in their 60 and 70 who carried around the same, but occasionally taxied some parts.
Maybe you should work on your list of what to bring and see how it fits in the backpack.
The thread has some packing lists el-camino-frances/topic15587.html

Hope this helps.
Buen Camino

Hey!

Thanks for your reply, the pack itself is this one below

http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/l ... 5-rucksack

Takes a maximum 70l and I can assure you I will not be filling it to its max capacity. When I left for my winter Eurotrip it was packed to the max but I knew pretty quick alot of the stuff I had I didn't need. This was around 13kg as I say. So packing more wisely I should think perhaps in the 10/11kg bracket.

As for me I am 27 this August, Female, 5"3 , my weight goes from around 64kg to 60kg, I am of good health...fitness is a different matter! I am working on strength and cardio for the last few weeks and will continue up until the time I go.

If struggling I would decide for a day or two out of the trip to send my gear on up.

Have my walking boots that I used

That's a big pack.

OTOH I'm not sure if you'd gain anything going smaller. The weight you save with the smaller pack is going to come off the things that make it easier to carry the pack.

If your pack fits keep it. Just train with it. This way you'll learn during your training if it's too heavy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hola

To me I don't see a problem.
Your backpack is of excellent quality and for the size of it, it is light.
Of course you could get a lighter weight and save a kilo to a kilo and a half.
The one I used was Osprey Kestrel 58 which weight 1.72 kilos. Thats 600 grams difference which is not much.
Taken your physical data it seems to me that you are in balance and this will of course help you.
About getting in physical condition, it is naturally good to practice, but once you are on the Camino, you strength and stamina will increase. Just start slow and everything will be fine.

And yes. Ivar's mail drop in Santiago is always an option. Many send stuff ahead from Pamplona, which is 3 days out of St. Jean, if it is where you intend to start walking.

Hope this help.

Buen Camino

Yes I plan to start in SJPDP, so would have a good feel by Pamplona about the rest of the journey with the pack.

I have the pack with me now as still in Poland so nothing stopping me filling it and getting out there and walking the 6km that I've been doing the last few mornings to see how I would cope. Havn't got the footwear with me that I will be taking as swapped them over in March for hyper terrain sandals. But when I go back home end of September I will have a good month wearing them again. Got a few pairs of that smartwool socks and they seemed to be fine last year, got a few blisters last year but bit worried I wont be prepared for the blisters that lie ahead on this journey!

WIll keep you guys updated with how the planning with the pack goes!

Thank you all for your help so far though :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

ahh yes, better test

but 6 km is not really a test is it. No 25 km 3 days in a row is a test, and even then you don't really know...

I wouldn't dream of bringing more than absolutely necessary. It is not really a matter of "can I carry it" but a matter of why would I stress my body more than needed or carry extra weight every day for more than a month. 1-2 kilos can make a would of difference, also on the potential injuries one may end up with lugging around ones stuff day in day out....

I find that my personal tipping point between noticing the backpack or not is somewhere between 6 & 7 kilos

also, by carrying less the stress on my legs and hips in the long run is significantly less. Some say that more weight makes blisters more of a concern. But that is just me, one can't really tell until after the fact...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

6km is a start :)

Already have aching legs and a sore foot, the ECCO sandals I bought a few months ago (and not cheap 70.00 pounds sterling) because I planned to do alot of hill walking this summer in Poland are not the best I don't think. I don't feel they offer support. They are meant to be for all kinds of terrain but I really do not feel they support the foot. The outside of my left foot is really sore....wish I had not changed them over in April and had kept my walking boots. Shall change to trainers tomorrow.

Plan to increase the distance on weekly basis...so 10-13km next week, up to 20km and then add the pack. As a previous dog walker I am used to walking long distance and in the past have suffered from achilies tendonitis and know the initial few days of sore aching muscles will pass with some TLC.

Thank you guys again for your input.

If your shoes are causing you discomfort after only 6km its time to get another pair. At least the sandals cost only 70 pounds ... You may think thats a waste but think of how your feet will feel after 800km if you wear those you have now. If your feet hurt all the time you won't enjoy your camino.

As for 'winter' ... I went last November. Temperatures never got much below freezing ... very comfortable for walking. Its the North of Spain; not Siberia. The day of snow actually felt warmer than the rainy days ... less damp in the air. Some albergues were quite warm, particularly the municipal ones; you didn't need a blanket.

So don't get too stressed about cold weather gear. A light toque, light wool gloves, and a light scarf should be all the extra you will need.

Thankfully I won't be using the sandals for the camino, but yes you are right in saying dont carry on using them for the time being.

I have my Scarpa walking boots at home that I intend to use and found them very comfortable last year, did struggle with them the first few weeks but once my feet settled into them they were fine.

So glad to hear the temperatures were not that far below freezing. I spent winter in south of Poland this year and -19oC was horrible! Now I am struggling with the 30oC in summer, think November temperatures will suit me well. I am from North of Scotland so used to fairly robust weather.

Getting really excited now about getting the flights booked and getting the real planning started.

Does anyone have any guide books thy they would recommend as a must have?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The problem isn't what you'll need it's what you might need.

Summer if you get caught in a shower it's not a big deal. Walk a bit and you'll dry out. Autumn/winter get caught in a shower and you're risking it.

Clearly you are unlikely to need 70li, but you might need more than you think by the time you have the warm and protective clothing and equipment you might think is required to be safe in all the conditions you could reasonably expect to meet.

I have a friend preparing to walk in Nov/Dec this year after having completed the CF twice before in mid and early spring. He is carrying some extra equipment items he didn't carry on his previous camino, such as an emergency blanket and GPS, while other items will be heavier, such as outer clothing and wet-weather gear. He is currently planning on using a 60li pack.

Given your relative sizes, I would expect this would be the equivalent of 50li for you, and the load would weigh about 10-11kg. With water, a day's food and your pack, this would give a total pack weight of around 15kg. If you are wearing 2.5-3kg of gear, your from the skin out load would be around 18kg, or 30% of your lower body mass.

Carrying 30% of your body mass is generally considered the upper limit for comfortable long distance hiking. It will slow you down. My own experience that is that at this size load, I am perhaps 40% slower than if I am carrying a 20% load. At 20% I average about 5kph or a little more. At 30% I average around 3kph. It makes for longer walking days for the same daily walking targets, and you will be doing this in winter, when you will be facing shorter daylight hours as well.

A winter camino, like any other outdoors activity in winter, is substantially different to doing the same thing in summer - a substantially more challenging undertaking.

BTW, it is possible to get closer to 20% FSO in winter. You might need to be prepared to be a little less comfortable, as well as get really good lightweight clothing and equipment. You might shave a kilogram or so of your base weight with judicious lightweight clothing choices, but the big difference would be to get a much lighter pack. If that isn't where you want to go, then you can expect to be a bit slower during the day, and make your daily plans accordingly.

Regards,

Hi Caminoforme86
Another Scottish based walker :)
Hope you have a great camino and we are off to start in July - nice and warm

:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.