• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpacks… Do I try overhead or as checked luggage?

NJoisygirl

Please enlighten me!
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino (2013)
I read about backpack issues and non-issues… but dealing with the airlines... things change… even in a year’s time… so I would like to revisit this issue and how recent pilgrims fared with transporting their backpacks to and from the Camino.

I have a 42L Deuter and my husband has a 40 or 42L Osprey backpack. We have already tested some preliminary packings and we are even close to filling them, (yeah)! We are flying British Airways from California, going through Heathrow - then Madrid and eventually arriving in Pamplona… from there we travel overland to SJPdP.

Advice please…
#1) What are fellow pilgrim’s experiences with bringing their backpacks as a carry-on items (including trekking poles)?
#2) If you check your backpack as luggage, I am worried about the straps getting yanked, caught and/or pulled – causing damage to my pack before I even start!

Lastly, we both have Leki telescoping trekking poles, I have read about the recent “crap-shoot” the poles can cause with the TSA agents… my set of poles have been my hiking companions for years and I have even (innocently) travelled to Europe with them once before. I have had issues with easily re-assembling the poles when I dismantled them… So (unless someone can enlighten me on how to remove JUST the tips) I am leaning towards putting them in my backpack and checking my backpack as luggage – but I am now back to worrying about the straps of my pack being an issue.

I would very much appreciate the knowledge and wisdom of my fellow pilgrims. You have all already been so much help and support already! I welcome any advice or insights you all have! Please and thank you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I find air-travel so much of a chore these days that I avoid it wherever possible. That doesn't help you though does it.

I check my back-pack. I usually carry an Opinel knife and 75 cl of scotch and an umbrella so I rule myself out of cabin baggage from the outset. Most airports I have had the pleasure (?) of passing through have a man with a machine who will shrink wrap your pack for a price. Protecting straps, webbing and contents during transit. If this facility is not available gaffa (parcel) tape makes a viable if sticky alternative.

Removes one source of pointless debate with airport security.

Buen Camino

Oooppppps! Sorry! Typo! We are NOT even close to filling them! We, of course, are trying to pack as light as possible!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

I, too, had similar concerns a few weeks ago when flying to start a Camino. My pack is a 35 liter Osprey and I feel I pack it small. I left enough room to shove my walking sticks down in the side, while cinching my bag down so only the handles of the poles stuck out. I was flying from a smaller US airport-- Kansas City-- which did not have a plastic wrapping service. Because of this, I asked for a bag on which they made me pay 5 dollars for a bag that generally protects car seats for children. The 5 dollars was worth it, as it protected my straps and my poles from falling out of my pack. Suggestion-- as much as I dislike ridiculous plastic, find some to protect your checked packs!

Tortuga9 said:
Because of this, I asked for a bag on which they made me pay 5 dollars for a bag that generally protects car seats for children.

Thanks. I'm glad to know they have this available. Last year I bought a duffle bag from REI to pack my backpack in so I could check it. It weighed 573 grams. I hated to lug this thing from Porto to Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have flown British Airways for the last two trips, and they are actually requiring that carry on luggage conform to their size requirements. If the carry on does not fit into their test box, you will have to check it. I suspect that your packs are too large to conform if they are full.

I have made a very light nylon bag that will cover my backpack and the straps. If straps are loose, they are very likely to be damaged by the baggage handling equipment. My nylon bag is less than three ounces, and has survived a dozen trips, though it now has a few small rips. A garbage bag and duct tape also works, but it is pretty much a one way trip. You will have to have a new bag for the return trip.

There are plastic wrapping machines now in many airports that can make a cocoon of your pack and protect the straps. They cost about $10 per wrapping.

I put my poles, Pacer Poles, disassembled inside my pack. They fit easily, and have never been damaged.

Buen Camino!

I have just returned from my trek.

On my 'to Paris' flight I purchased a large used suitcase that I placed my newly purchased backpack in. I was also worried about wear and tear on it.

What I hadn't really thought through was what to do with said luggage once I had arrived. I ended up wandering around with it in Paris for a while and finally leaving it open under one of their outside garbage cans.

I took four more flights through Europe and finally home and just checked my backpack as luggage. One airline put it through as 'oversized luggage'.

I must say it as no worse for the wear.

I did see one young lady who tied the waist strap around the bag and somehow carried the backpack as a duffle bag. I haven't tried is as it was on my last leg of my trek and incident need to find new ideas.

I left my trekking poles at home so have no wisdom there.

Good luck.

Buen Camino

Cheryl.

I use a pack liner on the outside for travel ( protect the straps etc) it weighs 100 g and once there, I put it inside and that becomes my liner offering protection from the wet. Sea to summit is the brand I have ( there are others). It is a size bigger than I would probably require if I was only using it as a liner.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I am new at this but I bought a cheap suitcase at Goodwill ($5) which holds my pack and I will check it, then donate when I arrive in Biarritz. Coming home after the walk I am less concerned and may wrap it in plastic.

It's always a good idea to protect the buckles and straps from getting damage during transport. We placed our backpacks in an inexpensive lightweight nylon duffle bag. It was easy enough to fold and stuff in our packs. It hardly took up any room.

Burn camino ;-)

I am surprised no one has had backpacks which come with covers that can be zipped over the straps and harnesses as mine did. I just zipped it up and everything was enclosed and protected. Perfect! It has a side handle for easy of carrying as well as a detachable strap so that you can sling it over your shoulder, again for easy carrying.

I took it as handluggage on the way over but bought a fair amount of shopping after my walk so I checked it in on the return.

I didn't have poles, and took nothing else that wasn't allowed in the cabin, it fit the size and weight limits.

Here is my backpack: http://www.oneplanet.com.au/hybrid/mini-freddy.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can get garbage compactor bags at most large grocery stores. With a bit of luck there will be a size to fit your pack. I use one as my pack liner to keep my dry stuff dry, which eliminates the need for a pack cover. In your case, take one bag for a pack liner and another to use for the pack cover. When you get to where you are going, if the outer one is in good condition, it can be folded away at the bottom of your pack as a spare or discarded.

Any alternative is to just use plastic kitchen wrap at home and wrap your pack yourself. Then for the way home you can get another roll in Spain and wrap it again. Kitchen wrap is not all that thinner than what they use at the airport, you may just need to do a few extra wraps for the same effect.

Poles can be disassembled and in you pack or placed into a cardboard shipping tube each way.

I flew in May with Ryanair from Dublin to Bayonne, Alpine Lowe 45+10 litre backpack, managed to meet their cabin baggage size limits so your packs should be ok, can't speak about hiking poles as I didn't bother with them and being honest there was only one short stretch, a descent in woods before Zubiri where I felt they might have been helpful to me. Obviously, if you can get your backpack on as cabin baggage, your concerns about damage to straps, clips etc become a moot point.
Buen camino
Seamus

I'd be nervous about checking my bag. While bags rarely get lost, it DOES happen, and I'd hate to have to deal with that! I bought a bag that I know will conform to carry-on size (32l). I plan on checking a very small bag with my knife and (if I decide to bring some) my poles. If that gets lost, then at least it won't be a major setback.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I pull the straps tight and then wrap the loose ends around the strap. That helps to avoid loose ends dangling.

Some airlines will give you a heavy duty plastic bag which works well. Its hit or miss if you will get one.

I check everything in except for valuables and items I might need on the flight. Less hassle all around.

Loss of baggage is not a disaster. A journey of days, by Guy Thatcher, is a story of the pilgrimage. He has a great start; his baggage does not arrive. He ends up purchasing new gear in Pamplona and his pack is lighter for it. Fortunately he was wearing his footwear but only because it did not fit into his pack. The book is a good read for those wanting to get an inkling of what to expect.

Many options as given by others previously. If you are flying in and out of Madrid, Paris (or wherever) and will be staying in the same hotel coming and going, you can check into leaving some luggage there (ask ahead of time). That's what we usually do.

If you are flying into one place and out of another, you can carry a very light duffle bag with poles, knife, etc. and check only that. Our duffle bag is mere ounces so we can carry it on the Camino hike.

We flew British Airways to and from France this May/June and no one said a word about our backpacks being too big. (If we had needed to, I suppose we could have crunched them down enough to fit in their little measuring device.)

The benefit to carry on, of course, is that you know that the majority of your luggage is with you. :D
Buen Camino,
Backpack45

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cardboard Box - checked luggage - buy insurance.

Perhaps this should be on another thread but here's another travel worry. I met a pilgrim in Porto this month who had her bag stolen on the train between Madrid to Porto. She was able to replace everything in Porto and she had travel insurance but was unsure how her insurance company would treat the theft. She said she had to spend hours and hours at the police station reporting the details of the loss but fortunately had a packing list with her personal information.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back