• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need better rain gear? (or mental strategy for rain)

Nat2023

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi everyone, I’m currently at the airport to fly to Madrid, then from there will spend Saturday night in Leon (initially thought I’d start hiking from there), then bus to Astorga Sunday morning and start walking to Santiago. It’s my first Camino. I have limited vacation days right now, but have wanted to do a it for several years.

I’m looking day by day at the 10-day weather channel forecast for which towns I’m supposed to be leaving/coming from each day, and there’s a significant chance of rain or storms (60-100% chance) on a number of days. I was not anticipating this much rain when I planned an early September Camino.

I packed a lightweight Columbia rain jacket and the rain cover my REI pack came with. Is this sufficient? (Stopping at Decathlon in Madrid tomorrow morning for walking sticks, so could pick up something else)

In your experience, is the rain in these areas constant during the day? Should I anticipate, potentially, entire days of rain and storms, or is it more like on and off showers? Is hiking in thunder advisable, or do people stop during that type of weather?

And do you have any other general advice on dealing with rain on the Camino, not having soggy gear, etc.? Keeping a positive attitude despite less than ideal weather days on end?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum!

You must be so excited :)

Even if the weather prediction isn't great, you've got rain gear already, which is good!

Everybody prefers something different when it comes to rain gear, so it is difficult to give advice.

Some pilgrims are very happy with a lightweight rain jacket and a pack rain cover. Others prefer a poncho, cape, or raincoat (one with room for the backpack). A few pilgrims prefer an umbrella, but that's rare.

Rain pants, gaiters ect. are not really needed unless you walk in winter.

So, what you've got will probably work just fine.

One thing I have to say though is that in constant rain, the straps of the backpack will get soaked and the pack itself might get wet because of it, since the straps are not covered by the pack cover and rain jacket. That's a plus with a poncho because it covers all of the pack (it's also more breathable, which is helpful when walking in rather warm rainy weather).

Should you plan to change your rain gear, there used to be a good hiking store in the city centre of Leon, and also one in Astorga.

Regarding morale, I enjoy stopping for a nice hot coffee in a café or bar during the day when I walk through constant rain. Singing also helps (especially on lonely routes 🤣) as does good company. Really, really bad weather can actually be a very funny memory, especially when you share the experience with others who can also laugh about it instead of complain!

For example, I walked through several days of constant, almost freezing rain and strong wind once (with almost all bars closed) on the Aragones one year. On the last day to Puente La Reina, every single bar and café mentioned in my guide book was closed. At one point there was a coffee machine in a shed, and even that one was broken. Honestly, it could have been a miserable Camino with the wrong mindset. But I walked with a friend who could laugh about it just as me, and so it was still a lot of fun.

So I'd say, don't worry too much. Rain is just rain, especially on a route like the Francés where you can stop for a hot drink or only do a short walking day whenever you feel like it.

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone, I’m currently at the airport to fly to Madrid, then from there will spend Saturday night in Leon (initially thought I’d start hiking from there), then bus to Astorga Sunday morning and start walking to Santiago. It’s my first Camino. I have limited vacation days right now, but have wanted to do a it for several years.

I’m looking day by day at the 10-day weather channel forecast for which towns I’m supposed to be leaving/coming from each day, and there’s a significant chance of rain or storms (60-100% chance) on a number of days. I was not anticipating this much rain when I planned an early September Camino.

I packed a lightweight Columbia rain jacket and the rain cover my REI pack came with. Is this sufficient? (Stopping at Decathlon in Madrid tomorrow morning for walking sticks, so could pick up something else)

In your experience, is the rain in these areas constant during the day? Should I anticipate, potentially, entire days of rain and storms, or is it more like on and off showers? Is hiking in thunder advisable, or do people stop during that type of weather?

And do you have any other general advice on dealing with rain on the Camino, not having soggy gear, etc.? Keeping a positive attitude despite less than ideal weather days on end?

At this time of year, given that it’s not cold, i’d advise walking in shorts even (in fact especially) in the rain. Skin dries faster than cloth.

You're moving into Galicia. The old saying about the rain in Spain should be re-worked. forget about plains and think Galicia! it will rain.
That said, I went with a flimsy cheap poncho that I got almost 20 years ago as a freebie during Alaska cruise 🤨
You know something - it worked for me! It covered me up pretty good and it covered my pack (which for a good measure was covered with its own rain cover)
I had a rain skirt but wound up using it perhaps 3 times. At the same I also had a waterproof jacket... but I was getting just too hot so I stopped using all the 'extra' gear and went with just the afore-mentioned poncho
If you are looking for something "more serious" - all the suggestins above are very valid. Lots of Pilrgims swear by Altus....
Here are couple of photos on me in my rain attire 😄
Good Luck and Buen Camino
20220523_085041.jpg20220523_085112.jpg20220620_120149.jpg20220623_111153.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two observations:
  • if you don't have rain-pants, you can expect your feet to get wet when it rains. I prefer not to have that happen, but many people take the risk, and walk with wet socks.
  • expect to get wet under your rain jacket. Why? Because you will sweat too much if its warm, and waterproof fabrics work both ways. They will keep the sweat in just as they keep the rain out. My own view is that it is preferable to keep the cold rain out and the warm sweat in. So I use a rain jacket anyway, and reduce the risk of becoming chilled.

YMMV. Me, a shell (and this is just for people from other parts of the world. A shell = lightweight rain jacket.) I do bring rain pants, especially b/c I generally don't bring hiking pants. Those rain pants come in handy when it gets cold, too. I hate ponchos. I know "hate" is a strong word. Pack cover is lightweight and useful. I don't like ponchos because I sweat like a beast underneath them, and, they blow around.

I, on the other hand prefer a poncho - I've got a cheap €35 euro Decathlon poncho. Hiking I used to always use a rain jacket, often with pants because I hate getting a wet crotch. I changed just this year, before my first Camino. I find I sweat less.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
My Camino experience here is limited - both my Caminos this year were predominantly dry. But my training period here in Germany wasn't. The poncho was great. ( But I haven't experienced a full days rain or Galacian downpour in it yet!)
In very light rain / mist if I'm warm I simply don't bother - with merino on I barely notice it, and I soon dry. Better than sweating!
If it looks like it might rain my pack cover goes on in the morning regardless, with the added bonus of making me more visible on any road sections .
Another bonus of the Decathlon poncho - it lives, unpacked in the side pocket of my pack. In a sudden downpour I can pull it out and put it on in way less than a minute, without taking off my pack .

Last edited:
Summer season I take a light raincoat, pack cover and an umbrella. Raincoats are hot and sticky so unless it was cool or a terrible downpour I stuck with using the umbrella.

(The umbrella comes all seasons - but I do add waterproof trousers outside of summer)

Rain kit ?.0: Zpacks rain jacket, rain kilt, calf height rain gaiters, and rain mitts. I prefer this kit because it breathes as much as possible while wearing it. YMMV

Rain jacket - I like pit zips in a rain jacket, and I also wear a baseball cap under the hood to shield my face. (eyes).
Rain kilt - A kilt is easy to put on or take off.
Rain gaiters - I only use them if it is really cold out.
Rain mitts - I only use them if it is really cold out. (I have used dishwashing gloves that I bougt in the supermercado).

I wear trail runners with wool socks. Yes my feet do get wet. However, I have not gotten blisters from my wet feet. I change my socks midday. At the end of the day, I pull out the insoles and place some wadded up newspaper in the shoes (sometimes by a fire) and they have always been dry by morning.

Dry bags - Everything in my pack is in dry bags and then in a bag liner. A plastic garbage bag will suffice.

You can be wet or you can be wet and miserable ... it is a choice ... embrace the experience ... dance in the puddles like a kid again. 👣 😀 :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Just make sure you're rainwear is waterproof not water resistant.

Heavy rain today from SJPDP to Roncesvalle and I was thanking God for my Altus poncho and gaiters in the incredible, mind boggling mud on the descent. It was wonderful!
I concur.
I wore my rain jacket and Altus poncho. Mostly stayed dry and warm.
My feet and shoes were ankle deep in mud- no way out of that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just walked from Orrison to Roncevalles on Monday. It rained the entire day. We even got some sleet! Everything was soaking wet, all day. I had on a puffer under a marmot raincoat, with the cover on my backpack. Most things inside were in ziplocks and dry bags -everything else wet. I bought a poncho at Roncevalles for the full day of rain to Zubiri the next day. It was better. Today I only had my poncho and I wished my raincoat was underneath! It was a deluge! The poncho gets warm but it was cool today and I borrowed a friend’s fleece to wear under! But!! Yesterday was hot, sunny and we wore shorts! You will figure it out as you go!

After six Caminos, mostly in the April - May (rainy) timeframe, I developed a layered approach to rain and snow. Everyone is different, and everyone will have their own opinion. But this is what consistently works for me.

Point #1 - It will rain.
Point #2 - It will rain more. After all, "The rain in Spain, falls mainly on - - Galicia!"
Point #3 - Human beings are amazingly drip-dry. It is their choice of clothing that makes them cold, hot, or miserable.
Point #4 - In Northern Spain and the Pyrenees, you can encounter snow in late September at altitudes. You can also experience snow through mid-May, again at altitudes. This is why the Napoleon Pass (Camino Frances) is officially closed from 1 November through 1 April.
Point #4 - Remember, wet and warm is good - sometimes very good. But cold and wet is NEVER good. It can kill you.

My field tested, FSO (from the skin out) layered approach for cold or rainy days is:
  • Microfiber (Underarmour brand) or merino wool, short sleeve polo shirt and boxer shorts. I wear Ex-Officio branded boxers exclusively. Three pair is plenty (wear one, dry one, carry one). Same with shirts: three in total.
  • Microfiber sock liners and thick woolen socks. Dries fast, does not smell, and resists blisters. Three pair each.
  • 100 % nylon or mostly nylon / polyester cargo pants. They dry out very fast. Try to get zip off lower legs - this turns them into shorts. I pack one extra pair - two in total.
  • Fleece garment with zippered front. A lighter weight one is fine for 3-season hiking. Fleece comes in three levels, 1, 2 and 3. Some brands label it level 100, 200 or 300. I prefer 200 level. Note: Merino wool, works well too.
  • (Optional) Waterproof parka jacket. I use a Marmot branded parka with armpit zippers. This is used if it gets really cold, or if the rain is blowing sideways. Some days in April or May (or October) one encounters single degree (celsius) morning temperatures.
  • (Optional) Microfiber gloves with fingers. I need them to use my hiking poles in very cold or rainy weather. In a pinch, a pair of the thick woolen socks works as a field-expedient pair of mittens.
  • Wool or microfiber watch cap (for cold - in neon color), Baseball cap (under poncho hood to keep rain off your face and off your back), and bucket style hat (for the sun). You can also use a Buff in place of the watch cap if you are shaving grams.
  • Hiking poncho in a background contrasting color. The principal is for you to be seen and avoided by oncoming traffic. So, black, dark green, brown, navy blue and burgundy are bad colors. Conversely, white, yellow, orange, light blue, bright green, and neon colors provide better contrast against natural backgrounds. The life you save may be your own.
  • Hiking umbrellas are fine in practice. They work best in light rain or bright sun, with no crosswinds. I have tried several. I find it too be too much hassle. Your results may differ.
This sounds like a lot, but in reality is no different than you likely already carry. My winter survival training emphasized the critical need to stop heat loss from your head, hands and feet.

The trick is that you wear all these layers, either together, or separately as you need it.

Some folks, including me, have done Caminos with the clothes they are wearing, and only carrying one spare set. The weight savings could be about one kilo overall, by dropping one sock change, one polo shirt, one pair of boxers, and the extra pair of pants. This presumes that all your hand washes will dry by the next morning. Only you can make that choice.

But the warm hat (Buff), gloves, and at least one pair of extra socks should be considered survival gear, not merely comfort gear.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
As others have said, the Altus Poncho is the Best but anything that keeps you and your pack dry in one thing is better. if something is needed out of the pack, it should be possible to get at it without having to take the poncho off. BONUS! Imagine this situation if wearing a rain jacket and a cover on the pack? Wet, wet, wet!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there! You must be so excited! I walked from Roncesvalles to Viscarret wearing a Rab raincoat and rain pants, with a rain cover over my pack. By the time I got to Espinal (only about 6 miles) everything was soaked through, so I stopped at the local hardware store and bought a marvelous rain poncho that was a godsend.

The crossing across the Erro River was flooded, but, fortunately, there is an easy walk around. All in all, a fabulous day and the rain deepened all the colors.

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    744.7 KB · Views: 85

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_123734.jpg
    IMG_20190927_123734.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Isn't it great to dance through the puddles 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I prefer a poncho but what you have got is fine.
Recommend :-
1) Dry bag(s) or garbage bag to protect inside your pack
2) Walk in shorts and with merino sox.
3) Keep one full set of clothes dry for the evening, that might mean putting the damp/wet set on next morning to walk (don't worry you will warm up)

Welcome to the forum!

Even if the weather prediction isn't great, you've got rain gear already, which is good!

Everybody prefers something different when it comes to rain gear, so it is difficult to give advice.

Some pilgrims are very happy with a lightweight rain jacket and a pack rain cover. Others prefer a poncho, cape, or raincoat (one with room for the backpack). A few pilgrims prefer an umbrella, but that's rare.

One thing I have to say though is that in constant rain, the straps of the backpack will get soaked and the pack itself might get wet because of it, since the straps are not covered by the pack cover and rain jacket. That's a plus with a poncho because it covers all of the pack (it's also more breathable, which is helpful when walking in rather warm rainy weather).

Should you plan to change your rain gear, there used to be a good hiking store in the city centre of Leon, and also one in Astorga.

Regarding morale, I enjoy stopping for a nice hot coffee in a café or bar during the day when I walk through constant rain. Singing also helps (especially on lonely routes 🤣) as does good company. Really, really bad weather can actually be a very funny memory, especially when you share the experience with others who can also laugh about it instead of complain!

For example, I walked through several days of constant, almost freezing rain and strong wind once (with almost all bars closed) on the Aragones one year. On the last day to Puente La Reina, every single bar and café mentioned in my guide book was closed. At one point there was a coffee machine in a shed, and even that one was broken. Honestly, it could have been a miserable Camino with the wrong mindset. But I walked with a friend who could laugh about it just as me, and so it was still a lot of fun.

So I'd say, don't worry too much. Rain is just rain, especially on a route like the Francés where you can stop for a hot drink or only do a short walking day whenever you feel like it.

Buen Camino!
I'm chuckling while reading your story.
Welcome to the forum!

Buen Camino!
Your wise advice earned by experience and good cheer give me a good chuckle.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I went may-june this year. just took a Columbia rain jacket and rain cover for pack. Had dry sacks inside backpack. Bought new rain pants but left them behind. Just wore shorts when raining. Most other people I seen were just wearing shorts when it was raining, even those that wore ponchos.

Just want to say I have walked for 6 years and this was the first year I ever needed my rainwear. I walked in the rain all day this year in Galicia. Glad for my Altus that one day.

We are walking the CF now, off to Santa Domingo today. The thunderstorms are bringing heavy prolonged rain. I wouldn't want to be without my Altus poncho. Many people are opting for the bus! Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just want to say I have walked for 6 years and this was the first year I ever needed my rainwear. I walked in the rain all day this year in Galicia. Glad for my Altus that one day.
Okay, we all need to know what season you walk in! I know that it was Spring this year - is that when you are normally on the Camino?

Three thoughts after 8ys in Camino (totally 16ws walked in June or September)
1. In September I experienced rain only a day per week at maximum (forecasts are not always right, and often are pessimistic)
2. Poncho forever (you and your backpack will need it, also if you probably will sweat). You could dress lighter clothes under the poncho and remove it as soon as possible.
3. Shoes in goretex and vibram (your feet will be wet but without goretex it will be very worse). Please apologize my poor English.

I walked the Levante in Feb/Mar and amazingly had only one rainy day. But what a day! My Paramo Cascada2 pants were brilliant and saved me from hypothermia even though I got drenched. I recommend any product from that company even if they are pricey. The Sea to Summit poncho I have was fine in drizzle and even rain but was an absolute fail when the wind increased as the wind would pick it up and wrap it around my neck. Then the water would wick down the inside of your pants. Water can also wick into your shoes so merino socks or waterproof socks are a must. I 've never tried an Altus so don't know if they are better in wind. A fleece buff or hat is essential to maintain your body temp in a storm.

YMMV. Me, a shell (and this is just for people from other parts of the world. A shell = lightweight rain jacket.) I do bring rain pants, especially b/c I generally don't bring hiking pants. Those rain pants come in handy when it gets cold, too. I hate ponchos. I know "hate" is a strong word. Pack cover is lightweight and useful. I don't like ponchos because I sweat like a beast underneath them, and, they blow around.
What is it? YMMV?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Okay, we all need to know what season you walk in! I know that it was Spring this year - is that when you are normally on the Camino?
Mostly spring and summer, but winter one year. Phil has walked alone in fall and winter in cold rain. Got the new Altus as I am returning to Galicia the first week or two in January. I think I will be glad for it. Phil lived a November in Galicia in 2018 going to language school and it rained a LOT.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back